DBZ AMV's

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DBZ AMV's

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 am

Back in 2014, Drabaz gave me some fantastic advice for one of my AMV's and I finally implemented his constructive criticism into my latest AMV. I am very proud with how it's turned out and it's definitely the best AMV I've ever made. It took many hours to make and my eyes are fucking dead right now from staring at a computer screen :crazy: .

But here it is!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHSnMa8F1W8

Again, thanks a bunch Drabaz for your criticism. This AMV wouldn't be the way it is if it wasn't for your words :D .

As always, constructive criticism is appreciated.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:02 am

Oh my god, that was fantastic! I'll have to watch it again when I get home, but my initial thoughts are that it was great! I especially loved the part when the song slowed down near the end. Like I said back then, your action scene skills are still on point! I like that you don't overuse masking. You mask just the right amount of frames to where it's subtle but still adds a nice little extra flow to the transition of the next scene.

I really liked the addition of typography. Where the words came from and how they come into and leave the frame are pretty good. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the font you used for it. I'm no font expert so I can't really suggest a font, but it just didn't feel right. You should look up some youtube videos on typography if you haven't already. It's really amazing what people can create with video using only words. I'd be impressed if you haven't watched typography tutorials though since you're definitely already pretty good with it.

I'm excited to watch this AMV again! Great job, man! :clap:
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Thank you sooo much. :D Your kind words mean a lot. I'll definitely consider looking up some typography tutorials since this was my first time (or at least I think it is) implementing typography in an AMV. Thanks again. :)

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:18 pm

So I decided to remake a very old AMV of mine from 2007. It's the only Vegeta Tribute I've ever created and since my first Youtube channel got taken down from Copyright Strikes, it hasn't been seen since. I'm a fairly better editor than I was then so I tried to adjust some things to make this video flow better and have less boring segments.

The original AMV is still up on Animemusicvideos.org if you want to compare the then and now: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=162073

Here is the new and improved version just released yesterday!

It's Not Over - A Vegeta Tribute
Song: "It's Not Over"
Artist: Chris Daughtry
Editing Software: Sony Vegas Pro 13

My Dragon Ball AMV's:
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYhuy1i2hc

I am phenomenal. Dragonball Z AMV. Please leave opinions on both here and YouTube. Thank you :)

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi, I've read on Kanzenshuu for years but only recently registered an account after I saw this AMV topic. I've only just taken to making tribute vids for Dragon Ball characters, and was wondering if anyone here could offer some feedback for the ones that I have finished.

I decided to try my hand at AMV-making after noticing that lesser characters like Yamcha, Tien, Launch, etc. did not have many tributes on YouTube, and the videos that did exist seemed to be made with relatively low-effort. Many of these just include music over some unedited clips of fight scenes. This made me want to focus my efforts on those characters, attempting to implement the editing techniques and structure from some of the amazing videos on Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan, etc.

Here's some links (Bear in mind that I haven't quite figured out how to use effects without looking obnoxious, so these vids are relatively light on them):

ImageImageImage
LAUNCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2taV3Im5IAI
YAMCHA (an early one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYJZj9dkdzc
KRILLIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzoi1Qa-jDM

There are also vids on Piccolo, Tien/Chiaotzu, Roshi, Yajirobe, and Chi-Chi in this playlist if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW. I really appreciate the help, be it praise or criticism :D.
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Netter75 wrote:Hi, I've read on Kanzenshuu for years but only recently registered an account after I saw this AMV topic. I've only just taken to making tribute vids for Dragon Ball characters, and was wondering if anyone here could offer some feedback for the ones that I have finished.
Those were pretty good! I really liked the Yamcha one towards the end of the video.

Here are just a couple things I would fix:

1. Choose an aspect ratio and stick with it for the entire video. If you're going to use footage from the 16:9 films, then I would suggest cropping them to 4:3. And vice versa if you're going to make the whole video in 16:9. The reason for this is that it's very jarring as the viewer to go from one to the other with no smooth transition.

and

2. Choose a source and stick with it. The typical fan may not notice, but I could tell every time you went from DBZ footage to DBKai footage. It's the same thing as the aspect ratio, where it's very jarring and makes me lose focus of the video.

Other than that, your scene selections are great, your flow is great. Keep it up!
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Drabaz wrote:Those were pretty good! I really liked the Yamcha one towards the end of the video.

Thanks for the comments! I’ll keep the concerns about Kai in mind. I do switch between the Dragon Box footage and Kai a decent amount, most overtly in the Tien/Chiaotzu vid. I did this in an effort to use the best quality footage in 4:3, but looking back I agree that consistency should really take precedence. The aspect ratio issue with the movies always bothered me, though I never considered cropping them further to full-screen. It would probably flow a lot better that way.

Also I've seen your Gohan and Vegeta vids and on YouTube before, you do really great work! Thanks again for the feedback.
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Netter75 wrote:
Drabaz wrote:Those were pretty good! I really liked the Yamcha one towards the end of the video.

Thanks for the comments! I’ll keep the concerns about Kai in mind. I do switch between the Dragon Box footage and Kai a decent amount, most overtly in the Tenshinhan/Chiaotzu vid. I did this in an effort to use the best quality footage in 4:3, but looking back I agree that consistency should really take precedence. The aspect ratio issue with the movies always bothered me, though I never considered cropping them further to full-screen. It would probably flow a lot better that way.

Also I've seen your Gohan and Vegeta vids and on YouTube before, you do really great work! Thanks again for the feedback.
Hey, thanks! And no problem!
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:35 am

Thought I'd share my latest AMV on this thread. Here's something that's been lying around in my Final Cut Pro projects that I finally decided to finish. It's definitely not my best, but I'm happy with how its turned out. I didn't try and make the clips sync with the lyrics, there are times that I did do that but most of the time it's just edited with the instrumentals of the song. I also got lazy and didn't try to crop out most of the watermarks in the video, so I'm sorry if it's distracting.

It's a Dragon Ball Super AMV... But I did use some footage from the last two Z films because the retellings looked like ass a lot of the times.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96yP8KnG2w

Song: Shapeshifters
Artist: Hands Like Houses

As always, constructive criticism is more than appreciated. :D

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:25 am

This is an AMV that I've been on and off with for a couple of months. When I had the spare time I would edit on it. It took way longer than I thought it would to make. I used my new editing technique of only making specific colours apparent in a cut, this works with the lyrics of the song of being "colourblind". I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtCX_o4DLpo

Song: Colourblind
Artist: Hands Like Houses (This is the second AMV I've made with a song from these guys. They're absolutely awesome).

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Recently, I have released 3 AMVs

These were:
—Resurrection ‘F' with the English version of Chouzetsu★Dynamic (I didn't want to use thee original due to copyright).: https://youtu.be/JVNCQon84tk

—Dragon Ball Heroes: 5th Anniversary with the GDM theme. (Originally planned to release in January but was very busy with many things.): https://youtu.be/ox6ex1Ymuuw

—A rather AMV for the Artificial Human - Cell arc, with the theme track STRENGTH (from Soul Eater actually. I did want to use a DB-related track but... Yeah, I decided nah.): https://youtu.be/8ojGMOQYmAk

Note that I do not use any video editor like Sony Vegas. I use a mobile app called "VivaVideo". It seems rather...decent to use such an app to make these AMVs. I even make opening sequences (either Kai or Super), parody videos, all of that kind of stuff.

IT TAKES ME AT LEAST TWO OR THREE HOURS TO COMPLETE AN AMV FOR ME.
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Did a random youtube search for "AMV". Not "Dragon Ball AMV" or "DBZ AMV" or anything like that. Just AMV all by itself. Very first thing that comes up is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Wq847w1CU

A fairly generic and uninspired AMV set to what I can only assume to be Xenoverse and/or Heroes clips, with perhaps maybe some small bits of Super sprinkled in. And the (fairly godawful) song used comes courtesy of none other than: Linkin Park. And the AMV is only a month old (with well over a million views already somehow, which is mind boggling).

A Linkin Ball Z video (Linkin Ball Xeno?). In 2016. The more things change, the more they evidently stay exactly the fucking same.

I may well be talking out of my ass here, but I've gotten the sense for quite some time now that a large portion of the AMV community as a whole (at least among Western fans anyway) seems fairly stuck in and rooted firmly to the early to mid 2000s: both in terms of song choices and overall musical taste, as well as the general style and types of anime used. This example only seems to further cement that view.

I mean granted, its newer Dragon Ball material (if you can even call stuff as vacant and vacuous as Xenoverse cutscenes and Dragon Ball Heroes commercials "newer material") and the Linkin Park song seems to be a more recent one: but its still, when all's said and done, a fucking Dragon Ball AMV set to Linkin Park music. In, I must reiterate, 2016. Again, and this one example here is hardly the only thing that I'm basing this on, it really does feel like this whole AMV thing seems to be perpetually frozen in time (certainly at least in overall spirit) circa 2003.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 pm

I agree. It's a real shame too. I work really hard on my AMVs and only now after 3 years is one of mine about to hit 1 million views. Which is crazy awesome! But compared to one month, it's really disheartening. It seems that unless your AMVs thumbnail is some sort of clickbait picture from Heroes or Xenoverse you won't get many views. But I'll pride myself in always using Dragon Ball and Z as source materials for my main AMVs. It's just a shame that the majority of people would rather watch Linkin Ball Z videos that arnt even that good as long as they have the newest fight scenes. And all of the comments on those videos are "This is the best AMV ever!"

I just did a YouTube search for "DBZ AMV" and my Gohan video is the first one that doesn't have a thumbnail picture from source material that is from 2010 and beyond. So that's cool, I guess lol.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
I agree with you that using footage from the video games is a fairly boring technique for AMV-making, just like heavy usage of opening/closing animation and unedited fight scene footage from newer material is as well. There's nothing WRONG with using these materials, but its definitely not what I'm looking for when I search for a DBZ AMV or make my own. As to why videos like these are popular while others of better quality are less so, I think it can be related to video games fairly easily. Call of Duty is a HUGE franchise played by (according to Bing) 100,000,000 people! However a lot of "gamers" deride the franchise because they don't view it as deep or as compelling as some other lesser-known shooters. What is usually failed to be considered though is that the people playing COD don't necessarily WANT a deep or compelling game. The mainstream DBZ AMV viewers want something pretty, fast-paced, and easy to get into. Videos like the one you gave provide that experience. Its a different kind of fan watching those AMVs. Compare the comments on the AMV you found with the ones on some of Drabaz's videos (here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkCsDNS8ATc). There's a difference in who is watching what.

I know that I got into watching AMVs first by watching the more vapid but mega popular vids, which eventually led to me looking at others when I started craving something more. Some people never get that craving though. Its a bit like gateway music I guess.

On your Linkin Park observation, think about when most AMV-makers got into Dragon Ball: around their pre-teen years, the same time that they were probably getting into music for themselves. The height of Linkin Park was in the early-to-mid-2000's, close to DBZ's initial North American surge of popularity. That's at least an explanation for why so many videos use the songs. Its the same reason why Disturbed, Three Days Grace, and Breaking Benjamin are so frequently used. The demographic just likes that music, they're not necessarily "frozen" back in time. That would be like telling your parents that they're stuck in the past for playing their old CDs.

Now I'm no fan of Linkin Park, although a few of their songs have a place on my iPod. I did use a song by them for my Piccolo AMV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2o9FC5v5g), not because of any burning nostalgia, but because I thought the message of the song was appropriate to the character and the arrangement could provide me with a good layout for the video structure. I'm not sure the same reasoning can be said for a lot of the more popular ones, but that is beside the point.

Kind of a long-winded post. Main points:

1. The "Linkin Ball Z" videos using the less meaningful footage are very popular because they appeal to the general people that are not that into AMVs and aren't necessarily looking for something thoughtful and well-timed.
2. Its unfair to compare the popularity of quality AMVs to the popularity of "Linkin Ball Z" videos because they reach differently sized subsets of the fan-base.
3. Linkin Park is popular with AMV makers, which is why they use Linkin Park songs so frequently.

So in all, I don't care for those vids much either, but they certainly have their place on YouTube. Plus the good ones certainly get recognized by their comparatively smaller viewer-base. Its kind of fun that the really good AMVs take some searching to find anyway :D .

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Sun May 01, 2016 11:29 pm

Here's another emotional Dragon Ball video to add to the list! The idea for this AMV came out of the obvious parallel to the Superman backstory. And the fact that Goku's always there when we need him. Hope you enjoy!

My Newest AMV: Superman
Song Title: "One Call Away" by Charlie Puth
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Here's a heartwarming video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2sv3YLsZfw. Me being a 2000-2010s kid really made that video for me since I grew up with that song on Tarzan. I know it's not the usual edgy rock music that a lot of fans like in their AMVS and it might seem really corny but it's a REALLY good song.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:36 am

Bansho64 wrote:Here's a heartwarming video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2sv3YLsZfw. Me being a 2000-2010s kid really made that video for me since I grew up with that song on Tarzan. I know it's not the usual edgy rock music that a lot of fans like in their AMVS and it might seem really corny but it's a REALLY good song.
I always wanted to do a Goku video with that song years ago, It really works with Gohan too :D
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 am

Bansho64 wrote:Here's a heartwarming video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2sv3YLsZfw. Me being a 2000-2010s kid really made that video for me since I grew up with that song on Tarzan. I know it's not the usual edgy rock music that a lot of fans like in their AMVS and it might seem really corny but it's a REALLY good song.
That Gohan video is amazing! It's made by a fellow editor named Rider4Z. She's super talented, so you should check out her other videos if you liked this. I saw it in 2012 and was an inspiration for me while editing my own Gohan video, Pain into Power.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

LittleGreen

Post by LittleGreen » Wed May 04, 2016 7:37 am

Here´s the newest AMV from xEliteVegetax or Deion or SeeReax (choose one of them for him. :D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... MVjROvrGCo

AMV Name: The last of their kind
Song: Shapeshifters
Band: Hands Like Houses