Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 pm

So wait, these guys think capsules are lame, so they opted them out altogether?

If they're used in live-action as they are in the series (i.e. The whole throw + POOF thing), then yeah, it would be lame seeing that on-screen. However, any film creator can re-envision this concept into something really cool. For example, each individualized capsule converts into something in particular (e.g. motorcycle), rather than actually contain something on the inside. When you click it and throw it, it transforms in the way a seed grows into a plant in fast-motion.

That said, a lot of time may end up going on that unnecessary CGI effect, so maybe they aren't suitable for this project.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 am

It'd be easy. Take a practical effect using a real-life capsule prop, throw it, then add a smoke explosion or a CGI poof, with a cut to the object having appeared once the smoke clears.

And if they wanted to make the entire thing CG, then all things considered, this is the easiest effect in the entire series. DBZ requires a lot of post production, and capsules would be a drop in the bucket.

They just don't like it because they just don't like it. There's no logical or budgetary constraint.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:05 am

Ah, creative differences. It can really affect film projects and the people involved but it is very common among filmmaking.

I can definitely tell that you were heavily invested into this project, so seeing you being replaced as a screenwriter is disheartening to read.

I'm still looking forward to what Robot Underdog do next with Episode 2 & 3 but I have the feeling that it'll be missing a lot of the heart that was present in Episode 1.

But for what was present in the writing for Episode 1, you did a mighty fine job :clap: .

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes, this took a lot out of me. And it's a bit tough to get back into the groove of writing my Dragon Ball books, which I put on the back burner to invest time and energy into the scripts.

I'm glad you enjoyed episode 1, and thanks for the kind words.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm

This was a dick move from them. You did the best you could and episode 1 script turn out to be great.
Its a shame you can't continue. Let's see if the quality will keep up without you.

Anyway, keep doing your work. And thanks for episode 1!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm

@DerekPadula, i have a question, is the episode 1 a 100% representation of your script for that episode ? i say this because i know that the team couldn´t get enought funding when they tried Indiegogo.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:@DerekPadula, i have a question, is the episode 1 a 100% representation of your script for that episode ? i say this because i know that the team couldn´t get enought funding when they tried Indiegogo.
No, episode 1 is not a 100% representation of my script, but it's at least 80% there. There were scenes that were modified without my knowledge or were cut out prior to or during the production. Either they didn't want to film them, didn't have the money to film them, felt they didn't work well while filming them, or the actors couldn't pull it off. There were also location changes due to budget constraints. I think it would have been more meaningful if the content remained intact, but I have never made a movie before so I took it as a normal part of the process. And the budget was so small that I had to let that slide so long as the essential content remained. Above all, I was just glad to be a part of the team.

In other words, they filmed as much as they could within their constraints, and what they did film stayed mostly true to the script, but I wasn't a part of the production process, so there were some errors and some content that never made it to the screen.

However, they told me a few nights ago during our final conversation that they felt the first episode was weak because of the script. And it's like, "Really? Then why didn't you tell me the script was weak before you started filming? Then I could have improved it." You should have seen the script they came to me with before I joined the team. It was awful, and even they recognized it was bad, which is why they contacted me in the first place.

That said, I'm aware that my script for episode 1 wasn't perfect. I had never written a screenplay before, and there was one line that was left in as an oversight, and another I would have preferred to modify. But I'm proud of 99% of it, and from a narrative perspective it's sound. But nobody at RUD expressed their unhappiness to me before it was greenlit, so I didn't get feedback to the contrary. Throughout this entire process I repeatedly asked for more feedback on the writing, but I never got what I needed.

Episode 1 was a learning process. None of us were perfect, from the director to the actors: we all improved during the process, just as anybody does. In response to its success, I trained hard to increase my writing ability for episode 2 and 3. I approached it like a Saiyan does. And I think the scripts for both episodes were dramatically better than the first. Unfortunately, they want to do their own thing.

In hindsight, while episode 1 doesn't have a perfect script, it's probably for the best that they didn't provide feedback or change requests, given what they're doing to episode 2 and 3.

Thank you for asking this question.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 pm

The acting being piss poor might have something to do with it being "weak".

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 am

A live-action film/show is never a 100% representation of the written script. Change and tweaking are part of the normal process.

I don't really mind the lack of capsules since there weren't capsules in the original Trunks special to begin with (if there were, it was very forgettable because I don't remember them in it).

This news is a bit upsetting but I'm still looking forward to the two episodes; hopefully they still end up being good.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 am

I only just got around to watching this now, it's pretty late of me.

I really enjoyed the first episode, the ki blasts still don't quite do it for me - I feel they really need to match the shape of the manga's ki blasts to look right, rather than just having a straight line. But the hand to hand combat looked much better than I was anticipating, that was really good.

Each of the characters shown so far look really good, I'm pleased that Trunks' hair colour looks good in live action. That's really appreciated. I do with this had him as a Super Saiyan already like the manga version instead of the anime special. The anime making Trunks' ascension its own subplot was a good way to serve a longer story, but I'd prefer him as a Super Saiyan already to see how that could play out in a longer story. It'd also make both the decision to bring him along and his fights make a bit more sense.

Other things I really liked was showing more of the resistance, and Gohan and Trunks stalling the Androids so they could escape. I prefer this to the TV special having Gohan show up after everyone is already dead and accomplishing nothing.

I also wanted to say that the short scene of Gohan and Trunks playing around in their training was a very nice addition.

I'd have really looked forward to the future episodes if you had continued writing, DerekPadula, but I am very apprehensive after reading your post about the creative differences leading to your departure from the project. I just don't see how it will retain the same quality if those Dragon Ball elements aren't kept moving forward.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Saiga wrote:I'd have really looked forward to the future episodes if you had continued writing, DerekPadula, but I am very apprehensive after reading your post about the creative differences leading to your departure from the project. I just don't see how it will retain the same quality if those Dragon Ball elements aren't kept moving forward.
Thanks for your understanding. The weird thing for me is that some of those Dragon Ball elements I wrote will be in episode 2 and 3, and most of 2 will seem true on first glance; especially the introduction. General audiences will probably enjoy it, but hardcore fans with an analytical and perceptive mind will recognize what's out of place right away, like new characters that don't belong there, or out-of-personality dialogue that doesn't ring true to who they are. I wrote the scripts for the hardcore fans.

That said, the combat and special effects will be impressive regardless of the story, so a lot of people will say "ooh" and "ahh" to those moments. I have no doubt in the production value or the passion of everyone involved. But again, my responsibility is the story. Alas, here we are.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:44 pm

You could release your scripts so we know what the changes are. They're yours after all, not theirs.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I'll probably post the scripts on my site as each episode comes closer to the release date.

I may also turn them into a manga and post them online for fans to read, with the help of Malik from Dragon Ball New Age.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 am

DerekPadula wrote:I'll probably post the scripts on my site as each episode comes closer to the release date.

I may also turn them into a manga and post them online for fans to read, with the help of Malik from Dragon Ball New Age.
Please do :)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 am

So Derek, your scripts won't be used for episode 2+?

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Unfortunately the answer is no but yes.

I poured 2 years of my life into writing the scripts and giving them my absolute best ideas, draft after draft. It was all in good faith, but now they're taking those scripts and changing them enough so that they feel I don't deserve a writing credit. That means you'll see some things about it that ring true, such as the scenarios that the characters are placed in, but then other things that don't ring true. They're also setting themselves up so that they can take credit for the parts that you like while claiming I had nothing to do with those parts.

Lessons learned: Don't work without a contract. Never work for free. Don't work with people who aren't true fans.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:10 pm

DerekPadula wrote: I may also turn them into a manga and post them online for fans to read, with the help of Malik from Dragon Ball New Age.
Not for nothing, but wouldn't that be too similar to the History of Trunks manga? >.>

Very interested in reading the scripts though!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm

It wouldn't be the same as the History of Trunks manga, but I can't say more about it without giving something away or opening a can of worms on what it means to adapt an existing work. In short, it would have value to fans.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:10 pm

DerekPadula wrote:I'll probably post the scripts on my site as each episode comes closer to the release date.

'Cuz I'm his buddy :)

In all seriousness, it did bother me to know what went on behind the scenes with this fiasco. Derek has helped me out so much and has done nothing but try to further myself and Dragon Ball New Age, and to see people take advantage of him the way they did was distressing and upsetting. I feel like I should have been able to do something to help, it bothers me that much. As much as it stinks that his work is no longer being represented in glowing rectangles across the globe via YouTube, I'm glad that this heartbreaking portion of his life is behind him.

Just be ready for Youmacon, bud :) We have masses to educate and entertain!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:27 am

DerekPadula wrote:Unfortunately the answer is no but yes.

I poured 2 years of my life into writing the scripts and giving them my absolute best ideas, draft after draft. It was all in good faith, but now they're taking those scripts and changing them enough so that they feel I don't deserve a writing credit. That means you'll see some things about it that ring true, such as the scenarios that the characters are placed in, but then other things that don't ring true. They're also setting themselves up so that they can take credit for the parts that you like while claiming I had nothing to do with those parts.

Lessons learned: Don't work without a contract. Never work for free. Don't work with people who aren't true fans.
Wow, what douches... And I had so much faith in this project thanks to you and that first episode...