Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 am

They're starting to film again! Yay! They're updating on their instagrams guys.. Robotunderdog2

Looks like we'll see bulma and even older trunks..

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Teaser trailer for episode 2.
Hmm. Looks like they changed the actor for Future Gohan. I wonder what the reason was for that? Other than that, I'm really glad the next episode is gonna be out soon. It's been so long.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Teaser trailer for episode 2.
Hmm. Looks like they changed the actor for Future Gohan. I wonder what the reason was for that? Other than that, I'm really glad the next episode is gonna be out soon. It's been so long.
He looks more like gohan.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:20 am

Episode 1 came out around the time Xenoverse came out. It'd be pretty funny if Episode 2 comes out around the same time Xenoverse 2 releases. Just goes to show the amount of time that was put into this episode.

Definitely looking forward to it. Acting and writing seemed off but I guess I can look past it if the action scenes are made well enough. I enjoyed the first episode so this next one should be good as well.

I remember that the IndieGoGo campaign for episodes 2 and 3 were more than successful so the great special effects displayed in that teaser makes me really happy.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 am

Okay, so after more than 2 years... it's finally out.

It was decent. I'm gonna start off with what was good. New Gohan was really good. He's much better than the guy they had previously. The guy that plays 17 is still killing it. You can just tell that he loves his role. Visual effects were really good for the most part, but there were definitely times were it looked off. I thought the production was pretty lacklustre up until Gohan confronted the Androids. Thats where I'm guessing most of the budget went cause good lord, compared to the rest of the film I felt like I was watching something completely different cause of how good it looked. The opening credits cartoon was also really cool.

As for my gripes, there is so much fluff dialogue here. Conversations are so uninteresting and drag on for far too long. The sound editing felt so off most of the time and some of the music placement didn't work. The pacing felt off as well. If they had cut some scenes shorter such as that lab scene and the Androids just standing on a cliffside talking about stuff then I feel like the movie would've been paced just a bit better. This also ended super abruptly.

Even though the production values are definitely higher here... I actually liked their pilot episode more. I never found myself bored with that one, probably because it was much shorter.

Honestly? I'm kinda disappointed. It's been so long since the pilot episode came out so I might've been expecting more. I actually liked The Fall of Men more than this. That was a very well made fan film, even though the tone of it didn't necessarily fit something like Dragon Ball.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

I lost a lot of enthusiasm for this project after listening to Geekdom's interview with Derek Padula, and hearing about how Robot Underdog screwed him over. Still, I figured I'd check it out when it released, being the massive Dragon Ball fan I am.

Now that it's finally become a thing... I guess it was alright. The best part was undoubtedly the final one, where Gohan had his climactic showdown against the cyborgs. The effects were great, and the fight choreography was pretty neat, too. Gohan's death was also handled well, and was suitably emotional given the context of the scene. I can definitely see people loving Light of Hope for these reasons alone. However, I felt the camerawork was a bit wonky at times, especially during the beach scene. There were way too many unnecessary cuts to different camera angles during Gohan's conversation with Trunks, and I have no idea why. There was no need to make the camerawork so complex. All it ended up doing was distracting me from the what was actually happening in the scene.

On the topic of performances, the actors for 17 and Bulma were great. I was also impressed with Trunks' actor, especially in the final scene of the film. While there were a few moments where I felt he overacted a bit, I can look past that because of his age. The guy who played Gohan also did well, but he wasn't as good as 17 and Bulma in my opinion. 18's actor didn't impress me a great deal. I couldn't help but think she was a tad too wooden throughout the film. Her performance simply didn't feel genuine, for lack of a better word.

Anyway, while the effects were spectacular for a production of this level, and the acting was good for the most part, the dialogue wasn't all that engaging for me, and I found most of it to be bland. Whether that's due to me already being quite familiar with the story of the future timeline, I can't say for sure, but it just came across as mostly exposition to me. I also think the relationship between Gohan and Trunks could've been handled a lot better. We didn't really get a feel for how much they care about each other, since their only scene together was Gohan trying to teach Trunks to transform, and Trunks chucking a tantrum after his failure. While the scene where Trunks finally transforms over Gohan's dead body was emotional to a degree, it could've been significantly more powerful had their relationship been better explored. The scene where Bulma scolded Gohan also had me scratching my head, and I wasn't entirely sure what to feel. Seeing Bulma act like that towards Gohan didn't sit right with me for some reason.

Lastly, while the tone of the film was certainly dark and gritty - as expected since it's based on the History of Trunks special - it just didn't feel like Dragon Ball to me. The fighting was certainly Dragon Ball-esque, but the original series was never just about the fighting; even during its darkest moments it retained some elements of Toriyama's quirky humour. So while Light of Hope certainly nailed the action aspect of the series, I think it lacked any of the charm that made Dragon Ball more than a simple shounen manga. Since the comparisons will inevitably arise, it was significantly better than Dragonball Evolution, but that's not really saying much. We shouldn't be using DBE as a the benchmark for what makes a good live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:43 pm

I thought it was pretty decent! Very well made fan film! I had fun!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:I thought it was pretty decent! Very well made fan film! I had fun!
I agree but holy hell, i didn’t know you were on Kanzenshuu. Nice to see ya! Big fan.

This is the hero we wanted and the hero we got but not the hero we deserved. But then again we didn’t deserve Dragon Ball Evolution either but for completely different reasons
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:14 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:I thought it was pretty decent! Very well made fan film! I had fun!
I agree but holy hell, i didn’t know you were on Kanzenshuu. Nice to see ya! Big fan.

This is the hero we wanted and the hero we got but not the hero we deserved. But then again we didn’t deserve Dragon Ball Evolution either but for completely different reasons
:D love you too

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

Your work has really grown on me. Your Zero-Miscoceptions Plan is one I can support. Now ever time i see clickbait, misinformation, or GojitaAf, this is my face:

I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I agree but holy hell, i didn’t know you were on Kanzenshuu. Nice to see ya! Big fan.

Your work has really grown on me. Your Zero-Miscoceptions Plan is one I can support. Now ever time i see clickbait, misinformation, or GojitaAf, this is my face:

We've cut it down tremendously but there's still a lot of BS out there, specially THIS week.

I guess you just can't reach everybody.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote: :D love you too

We've cut it down tremendously but there's still a lot of BS out there, specially THIS week.

I guess you just can't reach everybody.
True

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:21 am

I'm surprised this isn't getting blown up?

Episode 2 and 3 were kind of a let down to be honest compared to the pilot :(

The ocean scene was kind of weird with the music being all over the place. Camera angles switching while 17 and 18 were talking on the cliff was jarring. Like one angle had 18's hair in her face and then the next angle its not the side.
Little things like that got to me.

The last fight could have been better too I guess. Gohan didn't say kamehameha, didn't get eye scars.. The last scene was just bad. I hate cliff hangers with a passion. Didn't even get to see Jack Wald with blonde hair lol.