Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Post by Avenged » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Over 1 million views in a day, congrats!
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Not bad is all I gotta say. Was better than I expected.

-Opening went by a little fast. I think it shoulda lasted longer. Woulda liked to see what the real Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, etc looked like. Yeah it's kinda mirroring the original there so I see why it might not be the best idea, but showing Earth's most powerful warriors fall was a powerful scene in the original.
-Gohan is on par with at least 1 of the Cyborgs. Guess we're going possibly by the Anime, as in the Manga, he's no match for even 1 of them.
-Gohan brings Trunks even though the boy would be practically committing suicide without being a Super Saiyan.
-Trunks ain't a Super Saiyan. Though honestly that was one of the things that made the anime adaption better than the Manga.
-17 saying he's immortal. I'm pretty sure they're not since they still have human organs inside. Hence they age inside, but not on the outside.
-Charging a Kamehameha right in front of 17 was pretty stupid. Of course he'd get interrupted.
-Fights were awesome. Though I guess the quick cuts are on purpose to show speed and ferocity. Never was a fan of those, but the alternative may look silly I suppose.
-They seem to be in a shelter with people. I like this idea.
-I don't get using a Kamehameha to push a rock makes much sense. The ocean Kamehameha's did since they always shot them out into the waters.
-Considering Trunks' strength, I'm surprised only a tiny dent was made into a boulder. Woulda shattered more likely.

Look forward to see where things go.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm

just saw it last night, and i might say it is amazing eps, much better then that dbz america live action movie!!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 pm

GOOD GOD!

I hope this becomes something official like Assassin's Fist.

The best thing about this is his Ultimate Gohan theme remix when he turns Super Saiyan. It was already in one of the trailers before as well.

Oh and my recommendation: Play it from his transformation until the battle with 17 and 18 ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs8Jb2CecCs

Epic!

Easily the best fan project with Dragon Ball New Age.
dbzfan7 wrote: -Gohan is on par with at least 1 of the Cyborgs. Guess we're going possibly by the Anime, as in the Manga, he's no match for even 1 of them.
That he can fight with them á bit does not make him equal and this is Gohan anyway. His boosts are insane. Also Freezer with his new power is even more of a surprise.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Cetra wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: -Gohan is on par with at least 1 of the Cyborgs. Guess we're going possibly by the Anime, as in the Manga, he's no match for even 1 of them.
That he can fight with them á bit does not make him equal and this is Gohan anyway. His boosts are insane. Also Freezer with his new power is even more of a surprise.
The impression comes from a fight that seems to be close. 17 still seems to be doing a bit better, but even so that goes against the manga version. Not that there's anything wrong with that as a stomp fight would be kinda boring in this case. Gohan's future boosts are actually pretty poor. He's weaker than Yardrat Goku, who is only somewhat stronger than his Namek self. Gohan's training gains in the future are very low.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

We have an amazing live action DBZ fanfilm and you guys are debating power levels. :problem: The DB fandom never changes...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Marco Polo wrote:We have an amazing live action DBZ fanfilm and you guys are debating power levels. :problem: The DB fandom never changes...
Old habits die hard. :)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:We have an amazing live action DBZ fanfilm and you guys are debating power levels. :problem: The DB fandom never changes...
Old habits die hard. :)
That doesn't mean you guys can always debate power levels. I would suggest you guys stick to the topic. I would hate to see this thread get out of hand because of this stupid shtick. You have had these discussions in the 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie thread already, and the moderators had already been given you warnings. No need for you to get warnings here too.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:44 pm

I watched light of hope and liked it. I actually find the actors to be pretty well liked and the episode was better than the entire DB Evolution. I don't mind Gohan's performance against the Androids but personally I hope they follow the Manga and make Trunks a SSJ as well.

I know the anime made Trunks not able to turn to build suspense but I fell two SSJs losing to the Androids fits the tone of Trunks's timeline better. Also loved how this feels like the Original Star Wars Trilogy in tone.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Great stuff!

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:21 am

Burn this. All copies must be destroyed. No good.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:44 am

kidhero1000 wrote:Burn this. All copies must be destroyed. No good.
I'm glad the rest of the fandom disagrees with you.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:56 am

Marco Polo wrote:
I'm glad the rest of the fandom disagrees with you.
The rest of the fandom having bad taste confirmed.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Fancy elaborating on your opinion or are you just going to insult the film and the fanbase without any given reason?

I don't love this short but I put a good deal of effort into explaining what I thought could have been done better.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:41 pm

It's not my fault the fanbase can't help but mindlessly clap simply cause they see bright lights, but if you want an elaboration I'll give you one.

Other than being a slight step up from DBE simply due to it being more faithful to the source material, the actors are mismatched in the roles they're playing , the acting itself is quite gag inducing a lot of time. The low budget special effects (for obvious reason) aren't making it any better. Truly this is a series that will never be done justice in the live action sector. Stick to plain ol' cosplaying the characters guys. And to further sum it all up.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:06 pm

"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:06 pm

kidhero1000 wrote:It's not my fault the fanbase can't help but mindlessly clap simply cause they see bright lights, but if you want an elaboration I'll give you one.

Other than being a slight step up from DBE simply due to it being more faithful to the source material, the actors are mismatched in the roles they're playing , the acting itself is quite gag inducing a lot of time. The low budget special effects (for obvious reason) aren't making it any better. Truly this is a series that will never be done justice in the live action sector. Stick to plain ol' cosplaying the characters guys. And to further sum it all up.

I'd certainly like you to see what you could do with their resources.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Although the ki blasts are somewhat lacking aesthetically (obviously because of the budget) I still feel this is a pretty good attempt at live action DBZ. One thing I didn't like though is the fact that when they were training their blasts didn't destroy the rocks and Trunk's punch didn't shatter the rock like @dbzfan7 said. Fix that stuff up and this would be great.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:08 am

Saw this earlier today. I'm personally of the opinion that DBZ just can't be properly translated into live-action. It'll never feel right because of how over-the-top the series is. Not to mention its gag elements and cartoony fantasy setting. You stray away from this, and the final product just doesn't feel like a DBZ adaptation (i.e. Evolution).

That all said, I really enjoyed the fights in this short movie. They were probably the best I've seen in this sort of project. The androids also looked and acted the part well. The general acting, especially in that final bit with Trunks and Goten, left a lot to be desired though. Seeing Trunks fight and express anger also comes off as silly; it felt like watching Justin from Power Rangers Turbo again.

Still, i enjoyed it for what it is. Props to the creators.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 am

It's as great as live action Dragon Ball will ever be (unless there's a huge surprise in the future for all of us)

They have made the most amazing thing they could have possibly done with the budget and resources they had, so much effort put into it, and it really deserves the millions of views it got in such a short time, hats off to them all :clap:

I guess it still has the small "doesn't feel like Dragonball" complaint but to be fair the History of Trunks storyline never felt like Dragonball to begin with and that's what makes it so well remembered.