Dragon Ball Fan Comic/Manga/Doujinshi Compilation

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: DB Fan Comic Recommendations

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:38 am

The retraces and what seems to be a Goku clone scare me away. Fucking seriously? Why can't Goten's son or whatever have an original due. Goten shouldn't even have had Goku's hair as a kid and deserved his own style which he thankfully got at the End of Z (And GT made it worse), I hate that kind of crap. I only justified it with Goku Jr, who even then is dumb for being a near Gohan clone.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:57 am

dbzfan7 wrote:The retraces and what seems to be a Goku clone scare me away. Fucking seriously? Why can't Goten's son or whatever have an original due. Goten shouldn't even have had Goku's hair as a kid and deserved his own style which he thankfully got at the End of Z (And GT made it worse), I hate that kind of crap. I only justified it with Goku Jr, who even then is dumb for being a near Gohan clone.
Calm down? :cry: . I don't see the issue with the haircuts.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 am

Read through DBSJ, the art is meh. The story is mediocre at best.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

I think DBSJ gets points for trying to be different by I think that TheGmGoken just likes it because it gives importance to Goten and to Goten's son who is a Goku/Goten clone.

Besides that, the comic recycles A LOT from early Dragon Ball and also introduces powerful original characters from nowhere with no good explanation. Trunks has a student, fully human, that can stand up to a SSJ Trunks fighting seriously with him? There's a random earthling chick that can give trouble to Pan and Goten's son in Oozaru form that seems to be even stronger than Pan? And that random Namek? And if we take these things away what do we have? A few jokes recycled from early Dragon Ball?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 pm

rereboy wrote:I think DBSJ gets points for trying to be different by I think that TheGmGoken just likes it because it gives importance to Goten and to Goten's son who is a Goku/Goten clone.

Besides that, the comic recycles A LOT from early Dragon Ball and also introduces powerful original characters from nowhere with no good explanation. Trunks has a student, fully human, that can stand up to a SSJ Trunks fighting seriously with him? There's a random earthling chick that can give trouble to Pan and Goten's son in Oozaru form that seems to be even stronger than Pan? And that random Namek? And if we take these things away what do we have? A few jokes recycled from early Dragon Ball?
I'm not that biased towards Goten. I actually like DBSJ'S plot. It's simple and easy to follow. And the author himself told you before it started that the manga will indeed recycle things. He wasn't lying. The Namek haven't gotten a chance to be explained tbf. Pauten is decent enough. He looks awesome with that red hair and blue eyes. And I feel Pauten is more naive cause of age. Pan is actually my favorite character in this.

I don't like EVERYTHING Goten. His blue and Orange GI sucks. It should be Black and orange.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 pm

rereboy wrote:Besides that, the comic recycles A LOT from early Dragon Ball and also introduces powerful original characters from nowhere with no good explanation. Trunks has a student, fully human, that can stand up to a SSJ Trunks fighting seriously with him? There's a random earthling chick that can give trouble to Pan and Goten's son in Oozaru form that seems to be even stronger than Pan? And that random Namek? And if we take these things away what do we have? A few jokes recycled from early Dragon Ball?
You bring up some good points. It's definitely not winning any awards but I guess a fun read if you're looking for something to pass the time and not expecting it to be very serious or consistent. Would you classify it as more of a parody? I know most fan comics don't intend to be but a lot of them could be viewed that way.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:42 pm

I wouldn't say its intended as a parody. I think its intended as an fun adventure after DBGT. And it somewhat succeeds in being that.

I would say that the author basically took some inspiration from the DBGT special with Goku Jr, made Goku Jr have the same basic personality as Goten and be Goten's son, cranked up the power levels so that its more DBZ-like and added recycled jokes from early Dragon Ball. Besides that, it only has the basic ideas of typical fan fiction: random alien reaches Earth (a Namek in this case), and a strong OC out of nowhere (Trunks' student).

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:13 pm

rereboy wrote:I wouldn't say its intended as a parody. I think its intended as an fun adventure after DBGT. And it somewhat succeeds in being that.

I would say that the author basically took some inspiration from the DBGT special with Goku Jr, made Goku Jr have the same basic personality as Goten and be Goten's son, cranked up the power levels so that its more DBZ-like and added recycled jokes from early Dragon Ball. Besides that, it only has the basic ideas of typical fan fiction: random alien reaches Earth (a Namek in this case), and a strong OC out of nowhere (Trunks' student).
You're wrong about Trunk's student. The author addressed this.
Why is Trunk's not winning against Johan?" and
"Is Johan a Saiyan?"

Answer to question 1; Because Trunks is mentoring him simple as that...He's not having any trouble, he's teaching.

Question 2; No Johan is not Saiyan, he's a human and he works as Trunks assistant at Capsule corp HQ.

This makes a HUGE difference. Johan ain't no strong OC for no reason. He's being trained. We don't know his actual power. Also this takes place between DBZ and DBO. Which is before GT. Hence why Vegeta and Goku are fighting in space.

About the Namek. I had a theory that Dende inspired him and the other Nameks to travel the universe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:14 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
rereboy wrote:I wouldn't say its intended as a parody. I think its intended as an fun adventure after DBGT. And it somewhat succeeds in being that.

You're wrong about Trunk's student. The author addressed this.
Why is Trunk's not winning against Johan?" and
"Is Johan a Saiyan?"

Answer to question 1; Because Trunks is mentoring him simple as that...He's not having any trouble, he's teaching.

Question 2; No Johan is not Saiyan, he's a human and he works as Trunks assistant at Capsule corp HQ.

This makes a HUGE difference. Johan ain't no strong OC for no reason. He's being trained. We don't know his actual power. Also this takes place between DBZ and DBO. Which is before GT. Hence why Vegeta and Goku are fighting in space.

About the Namek. I had a theory that Dende inspired him and the other Nameks to travel the universe.
Trunks stated that he wouldn't hold back against him. And in just a few years that OC is already stronger than any of the other human fighters who trained all their life (Krillin, Yamcha, Tenhshinhan, Chaotzu) to be able to spar with SSJ Trunks like that, so...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Trunks stated that he wouldn't hold back against him. And in just a few years that OC is already stronger than any of the other human fighters who trained all their life (Krillin, Yamcha, Tenhshinhan, Chaotzu), so...
Who's not stronger than Chaozu :lol: . Besides those 4 NEVER had a Saiyan trained him. The humans only trained with other humans or by themselves. Trunks could easily been lying so Johan can give his full effort or Trunks can be using his training power not his fighting powers. Not to mention the authors comment imply that Trunks was teaching him and not actually fighting.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Sorry, but to me that just sounds like excuses, not real justifications.

I simply don't see any way for it to be logical that a random human can become stronger than those guys just because he trained with Trunks a few years. We are talking about guys that were trained by Kami, Kaio and even had their potential unlocked (Krillin), and already were very talented to begin with.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Who's not stronger than Chaozu :lol: . Besides those 4 NEVER had a Saiyan trained him. The humans only trained with other humans or by themselves. Trunks could easily been lying so Johan can give his full effort or Trunks can be using his training power not his fighting powers. Not to mention the authors comment imply that Trunks was teaching him and not actually fighting.
I agee with Rereboy. It's unlikely that any of the humans ever surpassed the base Saiyans since they didn't have Zenkais and never trained in higher gravity. The Z humans trained with Kami, most trained with King Kai, and Krillin got a boost from Guru to get to where they are now but Johan only had Trunks to train him.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Agree to disagree since this isn't going anyway and it's clear opinions ain't going be changed

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Agree to disagree since this isn't going anyway and it's clear opinions ain't going be changed
No worries just wondering where the author got the idea that an OC human could get that strong when none of the Z humans ever did. It's a fun read but I don't understand how it's ranked higher than DBM.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

Skar wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Agree to disagree since this isn't going anyway and it's clear opinions ain't going be changed
No worries just wondering where the author got the idea that an OC human could get that strong when none of the Z humans ever did. It's a fun read but I don't understand how it's ranked higher than DBM.
I can easily anwser the question :) .

1. Better characters. I found the characters in SJ better. Pan, Trunks, Johan, and Pauten were more entertaining. DBM is a one maybe two character show. Only Zen Boo is fun. Everyone else is...ugh. Boring.

2. It's quite silly and a fun read. It not serious at all. DBM only cool when it's gets good. Unlike SJ it isn't a fun read. More like "I'm happy I can skip specials but even the main plot needs skipping.". DBM is just like GT. Awesome ideas. Terribly done.

3. It doesn't treat itself as superior work and takes shot at other DB media.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:31 pm

@TheGmGoken
Honestly I wouldn't rank it in the top 20 fan comics I've seen. If we're agreeing to disagree about Johan being so strong then I guess we could about it being close to DBM.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Skar wrote:@TheGmGoken
Honestly I wouldn't rank it in the top 20 fan comics I've seen. If we're agreeing to disagree about Johan being so strong then I guess we could about it being close to DBM.
I mean yea. I expected people to disagree with me. No problem. But Imo it's better than DBM and it's not even close.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Personally I'd love for more people to take the ideas of say surviving Saiyan's or a species that were mostly wrecked by Saiyan's and use them to subvert the tropes that've been attached to them.

Like instead of a group of Saiyan survivors who just go to destroy Earth because "DEY B E-VIL!" they just chill on their own secluded world and rebuild their society from scratch in peace where they don't bother anyone. Or a say a guy like Reichi who wants revenge on the Saiyan's actually sees all the good the Earth crew have done and just says "Y'know what? I'm gonna let these Saiyan's live, they seem like cool dudes."

Might not seem very Dragon Ball like but I think it would be an effective way to subvert expectations. Something a lot of even official writers just don't want to do... because reasons.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Power ranking debates really are the bane of this fandom. Whether we're talking about fan comics or new films, it always descends into discerning who is stronger than who or who can be stronger than who. :D

Both fan writers and the writers at Toei Animation alike have pretty much squeezed all potential out stories about surviving Saiyan. As much as I love the monkey-butt brutes, I don't really want to see any additional narratives about them - at least ones that revolve around Saiyans we haven't met already.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Personally I'd love for more people to take the ideas of say surviving Saiyan's or a species that were mostly wrecked by Saiyan's and use them to subvert the tropes that've been attached to them.
I guess that trope was sorta subverted with Tarble. When fans found out that Vegeta's brother was going to visit Earth they may have assumed he was going to be an asshole like Raditz and try to kill his brother for going soft or challenge him for whatever reason. Instead he just happened to be a really friendly guy! I believe the Tarble special was written by Toriyama's student so maybe she was familiar with all the fan comics in Japan about evil Saiyans attacking the Earth for whatever reason and decided to poke fun at the idea? I'm not sure how many dojinshis use that idea but if it's common in English fanfics then there's probably a lot of it in other languages! There's also Onio from Neko Majin who we expect to be a challenge like all the other evil Saiyans who attacked the Earth but ended up being too weak for the protagonist at the time.
ParkerAL wrote:Power ranking debates really are the bane of this fandom. Whether we're talking about fan comics or new films, it always descends into discerning who is stronger than who or who can be stronger than who. :D

Both fan writers and the writers at Toei Animation alike have pretty much squeezed all potential out stories about surviving Saiyan. As much as I love the monkey-butt brutes, I don't really want to see any additional narratives about them - at least ones that revolve around Saiyans we haven't met already.
Yeah the Toriyama and Toei kinda exhausted every possible variation of surviving Saiyans. We also had a bunch of Saiyans getting possessed! Babidi, Baby, Miira in DBO, and I think his name was Demigra from Xenoverse. I guess when they're not feeling like thinking of more Saiyans they decide to have some existing Saiyans get possessed...usually Vegeta :P.