Blu-ray Season Sets with Kai Dub

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Blu-ray Season Sets with Kai Dub

Post by supersaiyan3 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 am

Exactly like the title says, I've fitted the Kai dub to the Season Sets video (with the Yamamoto score). For the entire Saiyan Arc. Check out the first part.

Saiyan Arc - Part 1

This first video has the complete first two days of DBZ (up through Gohan's transformation). This includes the entire Raditz Saga and then some.

Since I didn't want to constantly bother with intro/outro/previews, I just edited them together into 60-90 minute movies basically. I tried to make the commercial and episode transitions as seamless as possible and re-arrange the placement to make it fit into the movies better. This was just a personal project of mine since I've always hated the inconsistent quality of animation on Kai, and thought that the blu-rays looked more refreshed and would've been a better fit for Kai.

If you watch part of it, let me know what you think. Yes, it's watermarked at times, but that's just to deter piracy. I have Parts 2-4 all done and ready to go, but I'm going to wait a while to post them to see if this gets taken down by YouTube. I suspect it might, but we'll see. I did post a topic a while back about whether or not I should post these videos, but I didn't get a response so I assumed silence was consent.

And in case anyone is interested, the first video I did this for was the iconic Kai Episode 56 (the one where Future Trunks kills Frieza and King Cold). Plus it has the Faulconer score, thanks to DBZ Kai Music Revival. You can check it out on my channel. And for the purists, I even included a version with the Dragon Box video and Kikuchi score.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Blu-ray Season Sets with Kai Dub

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Wow dude, this is awesome! Although, I'm not sure the purists of Kanzenshuu would be happy with using the Blu-Ray Season Sets for visuals; they might not appreciate this project for that. However, I do (despite not liking the Season Sets), and I consider this a very awesome project! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

EDIT: So, I've been watching for about 15 minutes (I didn't even notice the time go by :D) and I never noticed how well Dragon Ball Z works as a movie, kind of. Regardless, very good work, once again.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:Wow dude, this is awesome! Although, I'm not sure the purists of Kanzenshuu would be happy with using the Blu-Ray Season Sets for visuals; they might not appreciate this project for that. However, I do (despite not liking the Season Sets), and I consider this a very awesome project! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Real talk. 4:3 over everything. :roll:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:34 am

I'm sure you put a lot of effort into this... but what is the point? If all you did was replace Kai's footage with FUNimation's Z Blu-ray footage, then that's kind of a self-defeating goal since their cropped, over-filtered footage is a huge step back from their Kai Blu-ray's footage.

Now, if you had used the Z "Level" sets footage, then that would have been another story.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:
ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:Wow dude, this is awesome! Although, I'm not sure the purists of Kanzenshuu would be happy with using the Blu-Ray Season Sets for visuals; they might not appreciate this project for that. However, I do (despite not liking the Season Sets), and I consider this a very awesome project! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Real talk. 4:3 over everything. :roll:
I don't understand your attitude. Intended aspect ratios and framing (without unnatural, shaky digital panning) and unfiltered footage is wrong how?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 am

It's done well, but I wonder too, what's the point in synching kai over the season sets video?

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:49 am

For me, Kai is unwatchable. The animation is just inconsistent. If it was either just the old footage or completely redrawn, I might be ok with it. But even the old footage had so much dirt that that it gets distracting. And the redrawn shots look like cheap flash animations most of the time. It also seems like there was no attempt to stabilize the frames; they jitter around so much it drives me crazy. For being a Blu-ray, it's so blurry that it's hardly better than DVD quality. That's how I see it anyways.

On the other hand, the season sets have consistent animations and was stabilized pretty well. Sure it's widescreen, but movies are typically widescreen and it helps the cinematic presentation. It's not like the Orange Bricks anyways; it's cropped pretty well I think. And even though it has crushed blacks and is a bit saturated, at least the skies on Earth aren't green... Kai just has no contrast to me. And after going through the season sets shot-by-shot, I've found only two examples where the digital pan was distracting. Compare that to the stutter in a lot of Kai's pans. Plus the season sets actually scale nicely on a large TV.

So that's my little rant. Everyone has their own opinion and I can see how Kai is better for some people. To be honest, I'm just glad you guys can appreciate the work that went into it :)

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

Wow. I'm truly scared by this project. Consistent animation and coloring? Widescreen? Great Scott. It's every newbie Kai fan's wet dream.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:28 pm

TheAldella wrote:Wow. I'm truly scared by this project. Consistent animation and coloring? Widescreen? Great Scott. It's every newbie Kai fan's wet dream.
The coloring and encoding on these sets isn't consistent...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:50 pm

The cropping isn't consistent either. Selective cropping? Sure...
The colours are an absolute mess throughout the release, too. Likewise, line consistency is all over the place. It's can be fairly sharp in one episode, and then horrendously blurry in the next.

I don't understand this project. Taking something good and shoving it on top of utter garbage is beyond me.

Oh well, no accounting for taste.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Neither of them are perfect. But when I watch Kai and I see needlessly re-drawn scenes, it ruins the experience for me. Sure, it would be great if the season sets were 4:3, but the fact that they're not doesn't ruin them for me. If the season sets do that for you and you really think they're "utter garbage", then ok, I get that. But surely you can at least see where I'm coming from.

Here are some of the reasons I dislike Kai.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 am

While I (like the majority of Kanzenshuu I might guess) take issues with FUNimation's 16:9 presentation of DBZ, I completely understand where you're coming from. The traced scenes stick out like a sore thumb to the point where I'd almost prefer a cropped presentation to Toei's reanimated scenes. So, at least, I understand where you're coming from and can appreciate the effort. Good work, for what it is. If you continue this project please keep me posted, if not the whole forum.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:54 am

It's obvious that some people won't like the fact that you've used Season Set footage instead of Dragon Box or whatever, but this is your project, and if you like it, it's fine.
So keep going with it! I'll have a look at it as soon as I can (I don't have much time right now, sadly).
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:11 am

supersaiyan3 wrote:Neither of them are perfect. But when I watch Kai and I see needlessly re-drawn scenes, it ruins the experience for me. Sure, it would be great if the season sets were 4:3, but the fact that they're not doesn't ruin them for me. If the season sets do that for you and you really think they're "utter garbage", then ok, I get that. But surely you can at least see where I'm coming from.

Here are some of the reasons I dislike Kai.
I'm split on the redrawn scenes. When they are special effects scenes like the beam struggle, and those Gohan shots actually, the redrawn scenes tend to look pretty darn good. On the other hand, that first Vegeta scene and a couple others in the Goku vs. Vegeta fight are simply poorly done and seemingly unnecessary at times.

Kind of like the original Z, there are scenes done excellently like this from Kai episode 1

But there are also ones like this that are less than desirable from Kai episode 13

A couple things Kai has going for it though is excellent dark detail and relatively consistent colors. If the frame jitter bothers you that much, you can put it though stabilizing filters to get less jitter. Also if the colors bother you, correct them. There are a ton of guides and methods to do this and would probably take less time than synching the season footage with the Kai audio.