GTX10's Review of Dragon Ball/Z/GT. JP & Uncut Funi Dubs

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: GTX10's Review of Dragon Ball/Z/GT. JP & Uncut Funi Dubs

Post by GTx10 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:54 am

Sorry for the delay in episode overviews everyone. Last week was crazy for lack of better words and this week was hectic. I'm going to reduce the overview of episodes to One episode a week. It will make it easier for me to keep this thread moving at a decent pace.
Plus watching the episode twice in two different languages is like watching two episodes so... Yup. Episode 14 will come this week, so at least expect that folks. Thanks for your time and while you wait for Dragon Ball episode overviews enjoy Dragon Ball Super!

The first post will be updated with a list of which pages have which episode overviews.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Sorry for the delay but here is the dirt on Dragon Ball Episode 14!

Our heroes have gone their separate ways, Son Goku heads home to grab some supplies, than heads to Roshi’s Island. While Bulma, Yamucha, Pu-erh, and Oolong head off for the city. However their plane can not sustain their combined weight so it crashes in the jungle. Now the four heroes are stuck wandering the forest, eventually getting lost in the harsh deserts.
Son Goku reaches Roshi’s Island and asks the old master to train him as promised. Roshi will train Son-Kun under one condition, the little boy must bring the master a pretty, spunky girl! After a few failed attempts, including a mermaid and a giant woman, Roshi and Goku are visited by a bald child! The tiny Martial Artist is Kuririn and he wants to train under Roshi.
Kuririn succeeds in getting the Turtle Hermit’s attention by giving the old man dirty magazines. Roshi orders Kuririn to help Son-Kun find a cute girl, but he can’t ride Kinto-Un. Next Time Son Goku and Kuririn begin their search for a pretty, spunky girl! Somehow!

The Japanese title for this episode is: “Goku’s Rival? Appears”

The Uncut US title for this episode is: “Goku’s Rival”

In the Japanese version Yamucha refers to the afterlife as “Other Side.”

First appearance of Kuririn/Krillin

The Turtle is out traveling in the Japanese version, while in the US Dub the Turtle is on vacation. (Thus allowing Roshi to be pervert)

Kuririn comes from a village far to the East. (Both Dubs)

Roshi is naturally bald. (Both Dubs)

"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Dragon Ball Episode 15

Welcome back to Dragon Ball folks, we continue our story as Son Goku and Kuririn search high and low for a spunky, pretty girl. After some gags about Goku checking to see if Kuririn is a male, we meet our newest character Lunch! A blue haired beauty that rivals Bulma both in hair and up seen “FAP” material. It turns out that whenever Lunch sneezes she pulls a “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and transforms into a Super Saiyan! Oh sorry, still too soon for that… She turns into a blonde version of herself.
It seems when Lunch has her blue locks she’s pure, and innocent. Dumb actually, while her blonde self is vicious, cunning, powerful, and trigger happy. After beating up some rough necks in a bar, she derails a train and steals a butt load of money. (Not called “Zeni”) However as she is escaping the cops, her blonde hair whips across her nose making her sneeze.
The blue haired Lunch is cornered by the cops unaware of her blonde self’s actions. Lucky Son-Kun and Kuririn happen to be around and save her from the cops. Taking her back to Roshi’s pad, the old man is ecstatic that they brought him back a spunky, pretty girl. So what does he do? He asks her to put on a “Martial Arts uniform.”
It turns out the uniform in question is actually women’s lingerie and Lunch isn’t exactly trilled about it. A bug flies by and tickles her nose, and the blonde Lunch with machine gun in hand, blasts the perverted Roshi and the innocent boys. With another sneeze she turns back to blue Lunch and apologies for her blonde half’s actions. With the episode over, what other nonsense is in store for our hero Son Goku?
Stay tuned for episode 16 of Dragon Ball!

Lunch’s introduction is both flashy and drives home the duel personality aspect about her. I must admit, watching her derail the train and cause havoc was a joy to view. Something besides fighting is a nice change of pace for Dragon Ball. Plus her sawed off shot gun weapon looks so cool!
I find it funny that both key females within Dragon Ball so far, have blue hair. Mr. Toriyama must dig blue hair. (Unless that was Toei’s doing since some material has Bulma with purple hair… Who knows) Also Roshi’s delight of “young looking girls” borderlines on pedophilia. At this point we don’t know how old Lunch is but, can’t these girls be at least 18?
I know age consent and such is different around the world, but my Western mind is trained to see this as bad. Funny, but bad. The Japanese and the English Uncut Dub share the same lines, almost word for word. The only real difference being the Dub’s constant use of Roshi saying “So…Do you want to walk with me around my Island?”
In place of Roshi actually wanting to bath with the girls, or feel their breasts and such. That’s all for today kids, see you again for episode 16!

Episode FUN Facts:

The Japanese episode is titled: "The Peculiar Girl, Lunch"

The US Uncut episode is titled: "Look out for Launch"

A poster within the bar Lunch walks into notes that "Tori-bot" is wanted for $100,000 "money." The picture is also ex'd out.

A poster for Lunch depicts her value at $2,000,000 "money."

"Lunch" is called "Launch" in the English Dub.

First appearance of Lunch. (First her blue hair self, than her blonde hair self)

It seems that whenever Lunch changes personalities she isn't totally aware of what the other one is doing.

Image (Blue hair form)

Image (Blonde hair form)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Great to see this up and running again! :D

How does the Japanese version handle the sound of Launch's voice differing between her two forms?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Great to see this up and running again! :D

How does the Japanese version handle the sound of Launch's voice differing between her two forms?

I felt Lunch's English voice actress (I'm not sure if it's two women or just one woman voicing her) made the distinction between the two more noticeable. Like Rosario + Vampire Funimation made Lunch's two personalities sound distinct. Blue form sounds happy and very high pitch while blonde form is very rough and throaty. Japanese Lunch to me (at this time) sounds similar.
One voice is light the other is wild and unruly. When i hit the next episode I'm pay attention more to Japanese Lunch's voice for a better answer.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:54 am

Meredith McCoy voices her in both forms in the series, however the movie Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle gives her two VAs in the dub.

"This sucks. Make more."

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Episode 16:

Our episode begins with the Muten Roshi packing up his house into a Hoi Poi Capsule and relocating to a bigger Island. Here the Turtle Hermit tests the boys abilities by seeing how fast they can run a 100 meter dash. The results are as follows. Roshi is the fastest, followed by Son Goku and than lastly Kuririn.
Afterward Roshi writes his character on a rock throws it faraway into a dense jungle. The boys must find it within 30 minutes otherwise they won’t get supper. Son Goku finds it because it smells like the old man, but Kuririn tricks him thus gaining the rock and supper. While poor Goku watches the others eat supper, it turns out Lunch, who prepared it screwed up!
The food is composed of puffer fish that causes the three to become deathly ill. The next moaning Goku is excited and ready to train some more. But Roshi says they’ll train another day, he wants to regain his health. Next time the boys deliver milk on Dragon Ball Episode #17!

This episode puts Kuririn’s character into perspective. The lad wants to learn Martial Arts from the great Roshi, but he isn’t afraid to cheat to get ahead. Much like Oolong Kuririn is the character the audience can relate to, he’s the underdog amongst super powerful aliens. At this point, the only thing different between Oolong and Kuririn is the pig’s ability to transform into stuff.
Lunch is reduced to being “fap” material for Roshi and the audience and limited to one style of gag. Roshi on the other hand once again shows that underneath his dirty ways, lies a man with great knowledge and experience. He is a dirty old man, but he’s a Martial Arts Legend for a reason. Son Goku is Son Goku, lovable to the end.
Lunch’s Japanese voice actress does bring a sense of distinction to her alter ego’s voices. Her blue hair form is high pitch, soft, and almost unnerving nice. While her blond form is loud, throaty, and wild. You’d almost swear it was too different voice actresses voicing the character. That’s how different they come off.

Episode FUN Facts:

The Japanese episode title is: "Training--The Rock Hunt".

The Uncut Dub episode title is: "Find That Stone!"

Roshi's house is a Hoi Poi Capsule.

Kuririn studied for 8 years at Orinji Temple. Called the "Magic Orin Temple" in the Dub.

Kuririn feels his running can earn him a spot within the Olympics.

Kuririn can run 100 meters in 10.4 seconds. 10.1 on a good day. The Dub mentions 11 seconds.

Goku can run 100 meters in 11 seconds with bad shoes on. However with good shoes on he can run 100 meters in 8.5 seconds. 8 seconds in the Dub.

Roshi can run 100 meters in 5.6 seconds. (Both Dubs)

Muten Roshi says the boys could run 100 meters in a even 5 seconds with training and due to their young age. (Starting off young and such) However when blonde Lunch tries to cut up Kuririn, he can run 100 meters in 8.8 seconds!

Lunch, Roshi, and Kuririn get deathly ill from eating "fugu" puffer fish.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:21 pm

The first review of the New Year! Behold Episode 17!

Episode 17:
Now that everyone has recovered from their puffer fish sickness, a new dawn begins as Roshi trains the boys in Martial Arts. What’s their first lesson you ask? Delivering milk of course! Expect Roshi has them do so by skipping down the road. Zigzagging though road and finally hiking up a mountain!
Roshi sees promise in the boys and if they continue this early morning training for eight months, they may have what it takes to enter the Best Under The Heavens [Martial Arts] Tournament! But keep in mind this is merely the early morning training, Roshi still has the morning training session in store for Son Goku and Kuririn!

Episode FUN FACTS:

The Japanese episode title is: With Life at Stake! Milk Delivery"

The Uncut US Dub Episode title is: "Milk Delivery"

In this episode Lunch questions why is it every time she sneezes she changes into another person. (Kind of late to be asking such questions Lunch) Also Goku kicks her in the face after she opens fire on him.

Roshi says that Son Gohan and Demon Ox King delivered milk in much the same way the boys are now. This inspires Son Goku to press through, despite how difficult the training is.

Roshi knows a monk named "Abbort who lives on the Island.

First ever mention of the Tenkaichi "Best Under The Heavens" {Martial Arts} Tournament. The tournament is held in Metro South once every five (5) years. Eight (8) fighters duke it out to determine who is The Best Under Heaven. If the boys keep up with their training they can enter the tournament in eight (8) months!

In Metro West, Yamucha is training by battling members of the "Best of Three Countries" Dojo. (Sangokuichi Dojo)

In the Uncut Dub, the tournament is dubbed as "The World Martial Arts Tournament."

First look at the Tournament.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Nice to see you're back doing this again! :D

"This sucks. Make more."

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

It's been over two years but I am back and with a added bonus. This time I will be comparing the VIz 3-1 English Manga to the Uncut Dub and original JPN! Let's begin.

Dragon Ball Episode 18:

Uncut Dub: "The Turtle Hermit Way"

Sub: "The Turtle Hermit's Intense Training."

Manga: Tale 31 "It only gets harder"

Story:

The Greatest Under The Heavens Martial Arts Tournament is 8 months away and Roshi is putting the boys through the ringer. The Turtle Hermit has Son Goku and Kuririn plow fields with their bare hands but they are rewarded with breakfast! Well until Lunch sneezes and open fires on them… After having Goku read a excerpt from a dirty novel under the guise of "studying to better the mind." The boys are sent to work in a Construction zone with tools. Next Roshi has them swim 10 laps in a lake swarming with sharks. Finally the boys sharper their reflexes by avoiding angry bees. Now that the boys are tired Roshi drops the bomb shell! This is only the beginning, and now they have to do all this training with weighted turtle shells strapped to their backs. Roshi claims all this training is to strengthen them, then they can move a huge boulder.

Fun facts:

The dojo's sign reads "Aim for Greatest Under the Heavens" (Anime only)

The book that Goku reads from is titled: "Japanese reader." The book is a excerpt from a dirty novel where the characters "Bob and Margaret" (Suzie and Bill in Uncut Dub) engage in funny business. (Foot touching in Uncut Dub)

The on screen clock times are 4:30am and 12:30am.

In the Sub Roshi's teaching motto is as follows: "Move Well, learn well, eat well, and rest well."

In the Uncut Dub it is: "Work hard, study well, and eat and sleep plenty."

In the Manga it is: "Move well, study well, play well, eat well, rest

The purple turtle shell is 20 kilos in the Sub and 50 pounds in Uncut Dub (20 kilos is roughly 44.092 pounds)

In the Manga Kuririn's old dojo is called "Orin Temple." (I may have covered that in a previous post, I can't recall)

Anime vs Manga:

The Anime shows scenes of various martial artists training and sleeping. Their is a scene of the crew eating and Lunch sneezing and firing upon them. The construction work and swimming scene is extended. Finally, Roshi is stung by bees in the Anime but not in the Manga.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Wow, I remember this. Cool that you're finally back at it. So much has happened with the series since the last update. Incidentally, I finally got around to seeing the Japanese version myself these past two months. Just finished the 22nd Tournament the other day. So, I should be able to bring a bit more to the table as well.

Major differences overall I guess we've already pointed out, like Master Roshi being more direct in with his pervy desires and Oolong actually being a kid. Also, Puar is referred to by a female pronoun at one point in the English version.

"This sucks. Make more."

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Wow, I remember this. Cool that you're finally back at it. So much has happened with the series since the last update. Incidentally, I finally got around to seeing the Japanese version myself these past two months. Just finished the 22nd Tournament the other day. So, I should be able to bring a bit more to the table as well.

Major differences overall I guess we've already pointed out, like Master Roshi being more direct in with his pervy desires and Oolong actually being a kid. Also, Puar is referred to by a female pronoun at one point in the English version.
Yeah a two year absence was bad on my part. But with Super done I can properly dive into this review. You are correct, Oolong is addressed as a kid in the JPN version and the other examples you pointed out are correct as well. What surprises me the most is how the "rushed" the Manga feels at times.
The Anime (at this point) does well to flesh out the story. In the Manga Roshi and the boys eat at a restaurant why you ask? Well the Anime explains it! Lunch fired at them with a gun. Little things like that go a long way.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Tale 32: "Let the Tournament Begin!"

Episode 19:
JPN: "The Tenkaichi Tournament Begins!"

Uncut Funi Dub: "The Tournament Begins."

Partial segment of Tale 33: "Hard Work Pays!!" Is animated.

Story:

Son Goku and Kuririn continue their daily training and seven months later the boys are able to move the gigantic boulder much to Roshi's shock. So now they have to wear turtle shells twice the size of the originals on their backs for the final month! But with that month over the boys realize that they are stronger, faster, and slightly smarter; so Roshi takes them to the Greatest Under the Heavens Martial Arts Tournament arena for registration. But "Budo" isn't about beating your opponent but to improve one's own self.
They should use the Tournament as a chance to test their skills and better themselves. At the Tournament grounds Roshi gives the boys their Orange Turtle Gi.

Fun facts:

The tournament is in the "Southern Metropolis."

First Manga appearance of "money." (That I recall)

40 kilos shells. (Twice the weight of the former ones)

Added Anime scenes:

Roshi being a pervert and Yamucha training in the woods. Yamucha went training for a whole month. Scenes of Bulma and company in the city. Lunch is the one who gives the boys their outfits and extra comedy happens on the plane to the Tournament. Also shots of the city at night.
Yamucha, Bulma and the others reunite with Son Goku, "long time no see" type stuff and comedy ensues.
Son Goku and Kuririn are given their Orange Turtle Gi uniforms and enter the Competition Hall for the qualifying rounds. Roshi can't enter the Competition Hall.

The Symbol on the uniform says "Turtle."

Instrumental version of "Aim to be the Greatest on Earth." plays.

Note: So far in the Manga Son Goku has not reunited with Yamucha and the others. But in the Anime they have.