Opinions on Dragon Ball YouTubers ?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Opinions on Dragon Ball YouTubers ?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 am

I like Ajay and Gaffer Tape's videos. TFS to me are hit-and-miss and I never found WeeklyTubeShow that funny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
Nekis13 wrote: Dokkan Battle Subreddit: I guess they count? Their podcasts are pretty fun to listen to, as someone who plays Dokkan a bit too much.
They have a channel!? Link me if you don't mind
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU1vz ... e6Q/videos

Here you go
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am

Nekis13 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Nekis13 wrote: Dokkan Battle Subreddit: I guess they count? Their podcasts are pretty fun to listen to, as someone who plays Dokkan a bit too much.
They have a channel!? Link me if you don't mind
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU1vz ... e6Q/videos

Here you go
Thanks!!!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

I feel like I've already posted my thoughts on this thread, but I can't seem to find any post of mine here, so I'm probably mistaken.

Anyway, I don't get the concept behind episode/chapter reviews. And this doesn't just go for Dragon Ball youtubers but to anime Youtubers in general or people who review TV episodes and so on. What's the purpose? Most of the time, the "reviewer" just regurgitates what happened in the episode and adds a few minutes of "this was cool" or "I didn't like this" at the end. There's no analysis. They don't say anything that I couldn't figure out by myself, they just state their opinion. I don't blame them, because there's not much analysis to be done with a single episode, at best you can talk about how a certain development affects the series as a whole or what it could mean for the future, but most episodes don't present some kind of ground-breaking plot point. But if there's not much analysis to be done, then don't do a video at all.

They're useless and the only reasons I can think as to why they're done are money and recognition.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Doctor. wrote: There's no analysis. They don't say anything that I couldn't figure out by myself, they just state their opinion.
In a single video, some youtubers don't say anything that we might find worthwhile while others do. Some pick up on things that we didn't, some don't. Some talk in-depth about the chapter within the context of the series, some don't. Some theorize about what the contents of the chapter and what will happen in the future, other don't. Some offer worthwhile related information regarding the series or the author regarding that chapter that might have been posted on twitter or some magazine that you actually didn't know, while others don't. And so on.

Personally, I don't follow youtubers that just focus on Dragon Ball, just youtubers that might talk about Dragon Ball sometimes but either talk about many kind of things or focus on other series, and I've found all the described sorts of youtubers. In fact, sometimes the same youtuber can, in one video, not say anything worthwhile, while in another video he actually says plenty of worthwhile things.

Also, I think you are underestimating how fun/interesting is to hear the thoughts of someone else regarding something that we find interesting or enjoy like the new episode from a given franchise. Especially when we lack friends or acquaintances to do that in our every day life.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 pm

rereboy wrote:Also, I think you are underestimating how fun/interesting is to hear the thoughts of someone else regarding something that we find interesting or enjoy like the new episode from a given franchise. Especially when we lack friends or acquaintances to do that in our every day life.
I realize some of them are charismatic. My problem is with the terminology. Don't call it a review if you're not reviewing anything. Call it a discussion video, a theory or something else.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:
rereboy wrote:Also, I think you are underestimating how fun/interesting is to hear the thoughts of someone else regarding something that we find interesting or enjoy like the new episode from a given franchise. Especially when we lack friends or acquaintances to do that in our every day life.
I realize some of them are charismatic. My problem is with the terminology. Don't call it a review if you're not reviewing anything. Call it a discussion video, a theory or something else.
In order to be a review, nothing more is required than talking about it and stating our opinion about it. It might be a poor, uninformed, superficial, non-insightful, weak review, but it would still be a review as long as the reviewer talks about it and states his opinion.

Furthermore, nothing is stopping a video from being simultaneously a review video and also a discussion-theory video or whatever else the youtuber wants to add in the video. In fact, the idea of an in-depth review already implies the idea of talking about all that since the episode/chapter doesn't exist on a vacuum but within a franchise/series.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm

People do weekly reviews because they like to talk about what just happened, speculate, discuss, etc. People love talking about it. I do my weekly reviews as if I'm talking to you as my friend, and save the analysis for later. People like that stuff.

There's a show called "The Talking Dead", an OFFICIAL AMC show, that airs right after the Walking Dead, where they talk about the episode that just aired.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:People do weekly reviews because they like to talk about what just happened, speculate, discuss, etc. People love talking about it. I do my weekly reviews as if I'm talking to you as my friend, and save the analysis for later. People like that stuff.

There's a show called "The Talking Dead", an OFFICIAL AMC show, that airs right after the Walking Dead, where they talk about the episode that just aired.
Quick plug (well not really lol)

Big fan. Keep it up :)
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 am

Anyone know who is this Mastar Media geezer? Dude always pop ups in recommended videos and his videos seem wayyyyyy to clickbaity worse than even the likes of Geekdom, Unrelent etc. Worst of all this guy has like millions of views... :?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know who is this Mastar Media geezer? Dude always pop ups in recommended videos and his videos seem wayyyyyy to clickbaity worse than even the likes of Geekdom, Unrelent etc. Worst of all this guy has like millions of views... :?
A fellow user on here made a write-up on him some time ago.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know who is this Mastar Media geezer? Dude always pop ups in recommended videos and his videos seem wayyyyyy to clickbaity worse than even the likes of Geekdom, Unrelent etc. Worst of all this guy has like millions of views... :?
Wow i can't believe you don't know who's mastar media, he's essentially an animator who's infamous for tracing and for having a big ego,he do video like Goku vs and Anime wars and he also do DBS review, talk about episode leaks and occasionally talk about the DBS Manga
Mostly active on discord.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
A fellow user on here made a write-up on him some time ago.
Oh Wow, thanks for the link!
The gr wrote:
Wow i can't believe you don't know who's mastar media, he's essentially an animator who's infamous for tracing and for having a big ego,he do video like Goku vs and Anime wars and he also do DBS review, talk about episode leaks and occasionally talk about the DBS Manga
I ain't too big on the DB YTuber front tbh but his videos always pop up in regular DB vids like clips etc one where he has a thumbnail of Golden Freeza but colour swapped blue and has a 1m views! 1m!! But yeah reading about him he does like something alright.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:36 pm

For a long time now, I've been wondering whether the DB YouTubers who report on DBS spoilers the moment they come out, find the show less entertaining because they know what's going to happen in advance. If I'm watching something like a TV show, movie or anime, the big, shocking reveals tend to evoke the biggest reaction from me. They are among the moments that stand out the most, and stay in memory the longest. It's one of the reasons why I try my best to avoid any DBS spoilers, because you never know what kinda whacky crap Toei/Toyotaro/Toriyama will come up with next.

If any DB YouTubers are reading this, I would really appreciate an answer. I get that some of you guys have to report on the latest news about DB/S, but does that come at a cost to your personal enjoyment of the series?
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:55 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:For a long time now, I've been wondering whether the DB YouTubers who report on DBS spoilers the moment they come out, find the show less entertaining because they know what's going to happen in advance. If I'm watching something like a TV show, movie or anime, the big, shocking reveals tend to evoke the biggest reaction from me. They are among the moments that stand out the most, and stay in memory the longest. It's one of the reasons why I try my best to avoid any DBS spoilers, because you never know what kinda whacky crap Toei/Toyotaro/Toriyama will come up with next.

If any DB YouTubers are reading this, I would really appreciate an answer. I get that some of you guys have to report on the latest news about DB/S, but does that come at a cost to your personal enjoyment of the series?
Doesn't bother me.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:03 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:For a long time now, I've been wondering whether the DB YouTubers who report on DBS spoilers the moment they come out, find the show less entertaining because they know what's going to happen in advance. If I'm watching something like a TV show, movie or anime, the big, shocking reveals tend to evoke the biggest reaction from me. They are among the moments that stand out the most, and stay in memory the longest. It's one of the reasons why I try my best to avoid any DBS spoilers, because you never know what kinda whacky crap Toei/Toyotaro/Toriyama will come up with next.

I remember the SS forms and all that stuff being spoiled to me as a kid and still loving the hell out of it. It's all about the journey and not the destination when it comes to Shonen Anime, and it's always entertaining to see how interesting plot points actually end up getting executed. Of course I'm not a "DBS News" YouTuber, but I still base some stuff on my power level lists from spoilers for the upcoming episodes and it's really fun to discuss them with everyone else.

I think it's more fun to actually know about the spoilers and speculate/ discuss with others about the possible execution of the plot-points. And I won't miss that opportunity either. I've always enjoyed the original series, but an official ongoing Anime/ Manga continuation of my favorite series is like a dream come true. I'm loving Dragon Ball more than ever before :mrgreen:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 am

To finally contribute to this thread, a person i like on youtube is Qaaman. This is because his videos tend to be informative, indepth, and he brings out points while not going off on a tangent too much. He won't completely bash DBS every week like some people, and he also won't treat it as if it has no flaws. Or go through great lengths to defend bad plot points. He'll call out stupid plot points, and as such he's one of the few people I truly respect on youtube.
Moodzi can be okay at certain times as well. He brought up good points as to why the black arc was a disappointment, along with how some characters get shafted.

The others? I'm sorry, but I can't stand a lot of them.

And honestly, something that continuously irritates me is the constant thumbnail and title spoilers. It's bad enough that I can't permanently get rid of recommended videos, but now I gotta see always see someone post a spoiler from DBS, ? It's even worse with the big youtubers.

I'm sick of seeing stuff like "Grand Priest is Evil" as if it's a full 100% confirmation(it's not. For now, anyway. A more appropriate title would be "Is The Grand Priest Evil?" or a title that makes it known it's a speculative piece), along with potential spoilers from DBS . I'm looking at YOU Geekdom. I'm not subscribed to you. I don't watch your videos. I hate the way you carry yourself in videos and in social media, and I really do not like you. I have a right to have these beliefs about you, and as such I'm not subscribed to you. And yet it's really irritating as hell that now I know a potential spoiler from Episode 100 [spoiler]that Caulifla apparently gets Ultra Super Saiyan or a buffed transformation in general[/spoiler] and you purposely put up the leaked picture in the thumbnail. In an unrelated video i'm watching, I manage to see YOUR video with your thumbnail and title spoiler in the right section of youtube . You couldn't have just worded it in a way where "This person gets a new transformation in DBS?-SPOILERS-" with a picture that doesn't exactly reveal the specific person?

For people who don't mind spoilers, cool. But other people do mind spoilers, have a right to be angry when people purposely reveal and spread them. Part of what helps make a show or video game worth it for me is the surprise and the plot twist . Yet that twist or suspense or surprise is impacted when I know whats going to happen ahead of time.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 pm

RichardKing2 wrote: I'm sick of seeing stuff like "Grand Priest is Evil" as if it's a full 100% confirmation(it's not. For now, anyway. A more appropriate title would be "Is The Grand Priest Evil?" or a title that makes it known it's a speculative piece), along with potential spoilers from DBS . I'm looking at YOU Geekdom. I'm not subscribed to you. I don't watch your videos. I hate the way you carry yourself in videos and in social media, and I really do not like you. I have a right to have these beliefs about you, and as such I'm not subscribed to you.
LOL, So I should care about your opinion why?

K... you don't like spoilers, stay off the internet and stop crying.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

there are actually tons of db fans who hated geekdom like around 70% I like geekdom but it's kinda true I have been on tons of sites were people literally hate on him and honestly I can understand why