Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Ajay wrote:
sangofe wrote:What did you change from the v1?
Just swapped out the remaining TV footage with Blu-ray footage and fixed up two minor continuity errors.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Did you redo any timing?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:56 pm

sangofe wrote:Did you redo any timing?
Nope. The length of film hasn't changed at all, so there was no need to. Was just a case of swapping out existing scenes.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Do you have a no Torrent download link?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Marty Kirra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marty Kirra » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I sat down and checked this out yesterday! Wow, first off, fantastic work! You did a splendid job and there wasn't really anything that stood out to me as weird or awkward.

I hadn't kept up with Super during this retelling, mostly because I had already scene the movie and didn't really need a retread. So going into this, I was completely blown away by the really cool new material involving Vegeta training. It flowed incredibly well with the movie! My main concern was that due to Super's somewhat lackluster animation at times, that I would really be taken out of the film whenever those transitional points were made. Thankfully, that was definitely not the case! It all felt very cohesive and having the movie center on Vegeta felt like such a good, natural choice. Of course, Goku comes in and does what he does, but it felt so much more Vegeta-centric which is fantastic. I think the movie needed that.

Also, it feels more like a sequel to Battle of Gods. Inserting the scene where Vegeta asks for Whis to train him really put Whis and Beerus on a pedestal,where they need to be. In the original cut, it just felt like they were way too chummy already. So great work on that front as well!

Lastly, your scene with Gohan at the end (and by proxy the whole newer ending) felt sublime! I loved it, and it really made sense to me to go that route. Unfortunately Super seems to be taking the other direction with that, but in terms of the movie, fantastic!

Overall, even though I'm more of a fan of the Funimation cast and their performances, this will definitely be my go-to cut of the movie. Great pacing, great editing, and great work all around!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Wow, huge praise! Thanks so much.

If I ever create a Blu-ray cover, I'll totally put that review on the box! :lol:

Deadtuber.

404FILENOTFOUND
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 404FILENOTFOUND » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Marty said it all, I really love how well things flow togethered as best as they could. I also really loved the secret ending!

ssj_duelist
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj_duelist » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:57 pm

I know I'm necrobumping but only just realized this existed, really appreciate it and look forward to watching it!

Probably answered but any reason why the Ginyu subplot was removed?

Also main question, do you plan on doing an English version of this cut years down the road once we get Super dubbed?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 pm

ssj_duelist wrote:I know I'm necrobumping but only just realized this existed, really appreciate it and look forward to watching it!

Probably answered but any reason why the Ginyu subplot was removed?

Also main question, do you plan on doing an English version of this cut years down the road once we get Super dubbed?
Ginyu was pointless and went nowhere. Adding it into the film would have just padded it out unnecessarily.

Not that interested in the dub and I don't feel like redoing the audio edits for another language, so the answer is probably no on that.

That said, if the dub for Super is mixed like Kai, I'd like to do a Future Trunks arc movie edit in English. I was going to do it in Japanese, but doing it properly isn't possible without a 5.1 track.

Deadtuber.

NicDWoolfe

Post by NicDWoolfe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 am

Sorry to resurrect (no pun intended) an old thread, but I just discovered this this week and wanted to watch the “Super Cut” of Resurrection F. While I liked it better than the movie and the saga, I still had some issues.

Things I Liked

-The Super version of summoning Shenron, since it helped clarify how the Earth Dragon Balls work.

-Maximum Hormone playing during Freeza’s rebirth.

-In theory, I like the idea of showing Goku and Vegeta’s training with Whis in tandem with Freeza training 4 months with Tagoma, since it adds a through-line regarding the different methods and what they result in.

-The movie version of the battle of Earth, since Jaco isn’t a coward.

-Extended epilogue with the banquet, even though I don’t think all of it worked.

-The Champa Post credit scene.

Stuff I Didn’t Like

-I saw you address the issue with the title screen appearing 18 minutes into the film, but I don’t agree with the notion that trying to move it elsewhere would be infeasible. I think if you took the scene where Sorbet and Tagoma go into the scout ship, cut to black, and transition to the title with a good music cue, it would work just as well.

-I loved the Super episode where Vegeta tries to convince Whis to train him, but for this edit it goes on for too long and doesn’t mesh well with the tone of Freeza’s near revival.

-Similarly, while I like the idea of putting more of the story’s focus on Vegeta, it doesn’t really unravel in an organic way. Not only is Vegeta not the first one to fight Freeza or have a reaction to his resurrection other than “oh, he’s back,” he doesn’t even get to deliver the final blow. It makes the eventually railroading of the story back to Goku even more egregious than it was in the show and movie.

-A lot of the stuff on Beerus’ Planet feels superfluous, especially since you don’t include the scenes in Super where Goku and Vegeta are training to fight without expelling too much Ki, especially since that’s how they go on to learn Super Saiyan Blue. I would much rather liked to have seen Whis’ pocket dimension and the Saiyans feeling that first click of Blue power rather than watching them change Beerus’ sheets. If you’re worried about the audience wondering why Whis is training the Saiyans:

A. At the end of the Battle of Gods movie, both Beerus and Whis admit that Goku and Vegeta are formidable opponents, implying that the four would have further adventures together.

B. You could just keep the bit where Beerus asks why the Saiyans are on his planet it would explain things well enough.

-I understand your process with how you handled Tagoma, but it doesn’t change how the way you dealt with him (Freeza killing him offscreen) feels anticlimactic (that could be how I know his arc in Super turns out, though). The ways I thought might work better were:

A. Have Freeza kill him when he’s done training with him rather than telling Tagoma to get into the restoration pod (so the audience won’t expect him to pop in later) or

B.This admittedly sounds more feasible to do with the english dub: completely redo Tagoma’s voice in every scene he’s in. The reason I opt for this incredibly hard option is, before the switch with Ginyu, I really like Tagoma’s character turn. As pointed out by TV Tropes, after being abused and tortured for 4 months as Freeza’s punching bag, Tagoma’s talk about strength and attitude and complete disregard for Shisami’s life, despite having worked with him for years, makes Tagoma come across as Saiyan Saga Era Vegeta. So, when present Vegeta kills Tagoma, it would be a great moment for the story showing just how far Vegeta had come since the time of being Freeza’s lackey. The problem, of course, is Ginyu, making such a moment impossible. I don’t know how difficult this would be, of course, but I’d like to see someone try.

-Gohan’s character moment at the end is weak because of the lack of gravity regarding how far his training has fallen. Granted, this gravity was present in the Super version, but, as you said, that version was plagued with a lot of problems (Ginyu-Tagoma, Gotenks, Piccolo dying, bad animation of Goku deflecting a death beam) that would have been difficult to edit around. Still, when Freeza one-shots Gohan, it feels like there should be a “life flashing before my eyes” montage of all the times Gohan overpowered an opponent, ending with either Super Buu or being with Videl and Pan, to better sell the idea of Gohan blaming himself for everything going wrong.

-Again, I know it’s a difficult task to undertake, but Beerus and Whis should not be on Earth until Freeza blows it up. Having them talk about the flavor and texture of a strawberry sundae kills the tension between Goku and Freeza’s fight. All the scenes of them on earth should be digitally edited and redrawn to remove them. Then, when Freeza starts to blow up Earth, have them appear, then immediately jump into Whis reversing time. Also, I do wonder if there’s a more subtle way for Whis to hint at his time reversal power so as to not destroy the tension.

Stuff that Only Bothers Me

-I wish there was a way to include Krillin effortlessly dodging the Freeza Army’s attacks and regaining his confidence. Though, that might also involve including his feelings of inadequacy from getting devastated by Goku’s one punch, and while that might better explain his insistence to fight instead of 18, it would risk bogging down the story.

-Obviously, little bummed there’s no english dub. It’s what I grew up on, and it’s a minor disappointment to not get that.

And that’s my basically my thoughts. It’s an improvement, but I think with a little more hard work it can truly shine.

Also

Regarding a potential “Super Cut” of Battle of Gods, I agree, the movie is essentially perfect as it is, with not a lot needing to be added. That having been said, I think there are scenes that can enhance the experience.

-Start the film out with the scene from Super of Goku tending farm, passing the tractor off to Goten, and then proceeding to train. Rather than cut to Goten veering off the mountain, intercut Goku’s training with the opening prologue from the film’s extended cut, so as to mirror the Super manga closer.

-When Old Kai senses Beerus waking up, keep the cinematic version as the camera zooms out of the galaxy and into Old Kai’s eye, but keep the Super version where Kibito Kai is serving tea and Old Kai asks if he can feel Beerus’ ki.

-There’s a scene where the two Supreme Kais talk about Beerus’ speed, the number of planets he’s destroyed, and how Beerus sealed Old Kai away in the Z Sword. I would insert this after Beerus and Whis leave King Kai’s planet but before King Kai checks on Goku’s condition, excising any mention of planets Beerus has already destroyed.

-I haven’t seen the Super version of the titular Battle of Gods, but I’m certain there’s stuff you can add from that 4 episodes worth of fighting to beef up the match of the movie. As long as you keep the movie’s version of Goku losing the godly form but retaining the godly ki, it should be fine.

There’s my two sense, and I hope I have been pleasantly constructive. Good luck to you in the future. :D

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am

Would they be a english dub version?

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Ajay wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:59 pm After beginning my Battle of Gods 'Super cut', I felt like I was editing for the sake of editing. That film stands on its own just fine, and the major differences between the TV retelling and the film made editing a real pain. The gains for the level of effort put in weren't really worth the trouble.

Resurrection F is a film that I felt was heavily flawed. Super's retelling was equally as flawed, but when combined, they seem to produce a significantly better final product; one that that also required only some strenuous editing to make work.

I've been working on this for a little while now, and I feel I'm at a point where I can start showing clips and getting feedback where necessary.

UPDATE: Quite a lot has changed, so this is no longer accurate.
How was the story of BoG during editing, can you tell details?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Luffy123 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am Would they be a english dub version?
It's "unofficial", but it exists: viewtopic.php?t=42536
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.