Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:59 pm

After beginning my Battle of Gods 'Super cut', I felt like I was editing for the sake of editing. That film stands on its own just fine, and the major differences between the TV retelling and the film made editing a real pain. The gains for the level of effort put in weren't really worth the trouble.

Resurrection F is a film that I felt was heavily flawed. Super's retelling was equally as flawed, but when combined, they seem to produce a significantly better final product; one that that also required only some strenuous editing to make work.

I've been working on this for a little while now, and I feel I'm at a point where I can start showing clips and getting feedback where necessary.

UPDATE: Quite a lot has changed, so this is no longer accurate.
Last edited by Ajay on Sat May 07, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [~80% Complete]

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Aw, you're gonna cut out Freeza torturing Gohan? That's kinda sad.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:47 pm

The Faulconer score actually works quite favorably with the film ;)
Doctor. wrote:Aw, you're gonna cut out Freeza torturing Gohan? That's kinda sad.
Its a damn shame, that was actually a pretty good bit.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:57 pm

I personally think the Faulconer SSJ Vegeta theme fits with that scene, but has to start earlier when he first starts transforming. But even then it sounds weird with the JPN voices

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Will you make another version of this if they correct episodes on the 2nd and 3rd Blu-Ray box? Also, will you do an english dub of this when FUNimation dubs Super and releases it?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:Aw, you're gonna cut out Freeza torturing Gohan? That's kinda sad.
I did try it, but it's impossible to make that fit properly without killing Piccolo, and I'm not really interested in doing that. I'd also have to cut out the music so that I could easily remove Goten and Trunks from the scene, so that'd be another pain in the ass edit to make. Then, of course, you'd have to deal with the absolutely disgusting animation of Goku arriving, and that's 100% not being in my edit.

It's a good scene, but for it to properly work with my edit, it'd need to be re-animated. You can't cut around it either since Gohan powers down after killing Shisami.

Too many issues for a scene that was perfectly fine in the movie.
SSGSS Goku wrote:Will you make another version of this if they correct episodes on the 2nd and 3rd Blu-Ray box? Also, will you do an english dub of this when FUNimation dubs Super and releases it?
They probably won't, but on the off chance they do, I'll cut in where necessary. Won't be doing an English dub release, no. Though the dub always having a 5.1 mix means someone could do a much better job of this than I can with the Japanese.

Deadtuber.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Nice! I'm a sucker for Faulconer score + Japanese voice mashups. For some reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 pm

This looks fantastic so far Ajay. :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 am

Zombie wrote: Ugh... :sick:
Ha, that's the reaction I was looking for. Didn't expect so many people to like it.

Also didn't expect almost everyone to ignore the actual project over a joke clip. :(

Deadtuber.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:27 am

That's quite awesome, can't wait to see it. It's basically what I hoped Super would have done but for some reason looks like they can't/they don't want to re-use movie footage and it's quite a shame. What will you do about the ending though? When Whis saves everyone Piccolo should be there so you should use movie footage.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 am

emperior wrote:That's quite awesome, can't wait to see it. It's basically what I hoped Super would have done but for some reason looks like they can't/they don't want to re-use movie footage and it's quite a shame. What will you do about the ending though? When Whis saves everyone Piccolo should be there so you should use movie footage.
After Vegeta's transformation, the film plays out as usual up until Goku kills Freeza. Whis saving everyone is all movie footage -- Piccolo is still there.

Deadtuber.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 am

Your edits look great, I want to put that front and center. Even though I can kinda see it from the artstyle what is from Super and what is from the movie, it's actually VERY well done editing wise. The only thing I'm not sure about, though this could be because it just doesn't work, is that you omit everything that Super brought to the table that is pretty neat. Well of course that's completely opinion based, let's be honest, but still that's how I feel about it. What I think would add value (in my opinion again) to your edit is adding:

- Seeing Buu actually sleeping.
- Gotenks vs Tagoma (and yes, with Ginyu). Freeza seeing Goten and Trunks, to me, would feel pretty much essential to the plot.
- Maybe seeing everyone on Earth before it explodes? I thought that was a nice touch, and everyone who survives is a little more upset in the Super version.
- Gohan being super weak and in the end realising that "shit, I need to get my shit together else I risk my friends when Vegeta and dad aren't home".

Now I get that that's mostly Super, and I get that that is one heck of a job to get all those things to mesh (especially pacing wise). But those, to me, are the things that Super added to the story that felt... well at least better :) I wish they did more with Gotenks vs Tagoma and all that stuff, sure. But still :o

Anyway, what I DO like about your editing project is the addition of the third wish thing, the beginning with Krillin (though I wonder if you paid it off as Super did with Krillin during the fighting), and of course knowing when to use the movie footage for the fights :) So while I might not agree entirely with your decisions, I think the craft behind it is very well done!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 am

worldmonsters wrote: - Seeing Buu actually sleeping.
- Gotenks vs Tagoma (and yes, with Ginyu). Freeza seeing Goten and Trunks, to me, would feel pretty much essential to the plot.
- Maybe seeing everyone on Earth before it explodes? I thought that was a nice touch, and everyone who survives is a little more upset in the Super version.
- Gohan being super weak and in the end realising that "shit, I need to get my shit together else I risk my friends when Vegeta and dad aren't home".
I appreciate the kind words.

For Boo sleeping and the clips of everyone on Earth, those are things I really want to add, and did try to add during the initial edit. I couldn't make them work, but they're definitely on my list of things to retry once Super's soundtrack is out. They definitely add a heck of a lot more impact.

I hated everything they did with Tagoma in the end, so I won't be using that. Difference of opinion, as you say. Sorry! Felt like they entirely wasted Tagoma's character for the sake of a silly callback to Ginyu. They ultimately did nothing with him, so I feel like it'd just pad out the film for no real reason. Had they actually used Tagoma properly, I'd 100% keep him in. My edit gives him a little more purpose in the form of Freeza's training pet, so that's something, I guess!

As for Gohan being weak, I've got that all in there. Whether he gets tortured or whether he simply gets one-shotted, I think the results are still the same. It's definitely made clear by my use of the ending talk with Piccolo. Thankfully there's no mention of Piccolo dying in those scenes, so it just comes across like Gohan's apologising to his old teacher for not keeping up his training.

Assuming that Super makes no mention of his death -- which I imagine won't happen, considering the whole thing was glossed over in the end -- it should all work out nicely.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:47 am

A bit of meaningless question, but I wonder Ajay, how long did you work on the Super cut of Battle Of Gods before you scrapped the project?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote:A bit of meaningless question, but I wonder Ajay, how long did you work on the Super cut of Battle Of Gods before you scrapped the project?
Quite a while, I guess. But it didn't feel like I was making much progress since I kept changing my mind on things or hitting brick walls due to impractical editing.

Most of my timeline ended up looking like this:
I was having to reconstruct scenes almost any time I wanted to use Super clips; extracting audio, replacing sound effects, adding in music, and redoing mouth flaps. It was just really excessive work for a final product that didn't really feel like much of an improvement. The differences in Goku's characterisation pretty much put a total halt on the entire thing.

Though I appreciate a few things about Super's retelling, it didn't do a whole lot to really improve on the film. Battle of Gods was such a strong film on its own that I felt like I was beginning to take things away from it with my own additions. It's often hard to find a good balance between the pace of the film and scenes you really want to extend. Essentially, I was doing more harm than good.

Editing Resurrection 'F' feels entirely different. Super didn't stray too far from the original, but it added a heck of a lot of good, even if it did eventually hit the lowest I've ever seen the series hit. All of the minor niggles from the film have pretty much been erased. I've been able to fill the gap between the two films, add in all of the info fans wanted, and fix up the little plot points that really stood out.

That reminds me, actually. Regarding Whis' time powers; shall I remove his explanation from the film, and replace it with Super's little hint: "Seems there's no need to redo anything this time". I seem to remember a lot of people praising this since it keeps the power a surprise, but I'm wondering whether making it more subtle is going to make it feel like an even bigger deus ex machina. Whis' explanation early on in the film does make the ending very obvious, but it definitely prevents it from feeling like a power out of nowhere. What do you think?

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25 am

Leave the Super version. Whis' hint feels more natural than the movie sledgehammering you right in the face about how the endings gonna get reserved no problem. At least this way there's a bit more mystery to his ability.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DMS

Post by DMS » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:15 pm

wow ajay your amazing love the preview clips but one thing I recommend you crop that japanese logo on that upper right hand corner. Its up to you. Here's what I did for one of my videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjgsR-deFMg

and your transformation is better than mine lmao damn.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Cropping it would result in inconsistent aspect ratios. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm just gonna run a delogo on it or replace those sections with deloged NST footage.

Glad you like the edits though!

Deadtuber.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Any particular reason you're removing Piccolo dying? It doesn't bother me one way or the other, just curious.