Young Jijii or Toyotaro/Toyble?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyàBitō

Young Jijii or Toyotaro/Toyble?

Post by SaiyàBitō » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:05 am

And before you say, NO, this is not related to the fanfic of DBAF.

BUT:

This is about the comparison between the two artists.

How do you all feel about the two?
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Young Jijii or Toyotaro/Toyble?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Young Jijii's art style is certainly quite refined and far more detailed, making what he draws all the more aesthetically appealing and pleasing. But at the same token Toyotaro art style has come a long way and feels representative of how Toriyama's art style evolved from the Majin Boo arc to what it is now. I think the main issue with Young Jijii's art style is that it feel very stuck in how characters were drawn from the Namek/Freeza arc to the Android/Cell arc.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:12 am

Definitely Young Jiji.

Toyotaro's art superficially looks promising in cover art, but its unskillfulness gets revealed once you start reading the content: Non-detailed muscles, ackward facial expressions, inaccurate wrinkles in clothes, and very stiff digitally drawn lines. He is good at drawing DB character likenesses, but he seriously lacks the basic skills that are needed for a professional manga artist. When I read his manga, I feel like I'm watching a DB anime with Goku voiced by a Nozawa impersonator who knows nothing about acting.

On the other hand, Young Jiji knows how to draw manga properly. His art doesn't have the aforementioned flaws in Toyotaro's manga. His biggest weakness is the eye-straining poor color palette that he uses in colored works, but it's not a problem in B&W manga.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 am

Toyble. When I see YoungJiji's drawings I always get the impression that his characters are just a tiny bit... chubby? overweight? They look like well trained people who let themselves go a bit and had gotten an unseemly layer of fat. And I get that feeling so much that it detracts me from the story.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:30 pm

I prefer Young Jijii, and his art is definitely more refined and detailed; the only problem I have with his stuff is that particularly when using Super Saiyan forms 3 through 5, I can barely tell the characters' faces apart.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Faustus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Faustus » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Toyble lately has gotten so darned good at composition and choreographing action I frankly don't think it's even close.

Meanwhile on the other hand YoungJijii is still lifting panels straight from prior work and producing some of the least appealing designs for new characters in anything ever*. More detailed, yes, but the awkward way he draws hair and certain facial expressions in general (esp. smiles) is another two strikes against him, to my mind.

*Admittedly, that "Marble" fellow is pretty cool-looking.

EDIT: Toyble's also got a goddamn sense of humor.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:14 am

Jijii has great detail art, but he is known to trace a lot from what I remember. Toyble has gotten a lot better with his art since his AF manga. So Toyble wins.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm

This is tough choice to make. If we're going by a pure artistic stand point, I prefer Toyable over Jijii, although I believe Jijii is the better artist skill wise. I don't think Jijii traces any more (unless I'm wrong here) and his action scenes are pretty solid. But there's something about Toyable's work that seems more organic and pleasing to me. It must be the way his characters are drawn, they seem less, I dunno, sharp, hard, stiff? Whichever the case may be, yeah, I prefer Toyable's artwork art lot more.