Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 is out and v2 pending!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 is out and v2 pending!]

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm

So, sue me, I hated the Original Bardock Special.
It was too quick, very little was really fleshed out in my opinion.
That being said, watching this made me wish THIS is what I had seen.
It's well done, it's paced, it's got a bit more development, and it's just fantastic! I'd ask you to fix Broly, but that's asking for miracles. This'll do instead.

TL;DR
Thanks.
-Insert Something Creative-

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 am

My offer of good Broli movie 4:3 footage still stands if you're interested.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 am

Puto wrote:My offer of good Broli movie 4:3 footage still stands if you're interested.
Are you referring to the French release?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

Yeah, the boxset containing movies 7-13.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

gipset

Post by gipset » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:36 am

Ohms wrote:
gipset wrote:I'm so hype on this. I stumbled on your first version about a year ago and it's one of the reasons I got back into DB.
Oh wow, that's really cool to hear! I only really expected this to reach the super hardcore fans.
Yeah, thanks to you I went back and read the DB manga for the first time, watched DBZ Kai, and caught up Super.

Quick question, but when you mentioned you got all new higher quality footage did you start the project over?

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:22 am

gipset wrote:
Ohms wrote:
gipset wrote:I'm so hype on this. I stumbled on your first version about a year ago and it's one of the reasons I got back into DB.
Oh wow, that's really cool to hear! I only really expected this to reach the super hardcore fans.
Yeah, thanks to you I went back and read the DB manga for the first time, watched DBZ Kai, and caught up Super.

Quick question, but when you mentioned you got all new higher quality footage did you start the project over?
Not really I was able to adjust the time codes of the new footage to match the old footage so when I load the project it most of the edits I did before are applied. Of course there are certain things that need re-doing but it wqasn't like dioing it from scratch.
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

gipset

Post by gipset » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 am

Ohms wrote:
gipset wrote:
Ohms wrote:

Not really I was able to adjust the time codes of the new footage to match the old footage so when I load the project it most of the edits I did before are applied. Of course there are certain things that need re-doing but it wqasn't like dioing it from scratch.
Sweet! Sounds like its coming along smoothly.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey everyone update time!!

I'm nearly finished upgrading to unencoded Dragon Box Footage. That means it's hopfully not that far off from being sent for timing and QC.

Here's an updated timeline (boy it got a bit more complicated than I expected)

And here's an updated breakdown of the way the special will play out:

[spoiler]Now obviously due to the wide array of source footage some cropping had to take place but it's only cropped when needed so that everything is the same ratio as the Dragon Box version of the Bardock Special

-Toei Logo (to seem more cinematic)

- TV Special Logo

- Opening prologue showing the history of the Saiyans pretendeing that Kaio is the Narrator, the Montage ends with Freeza's hands around a planet (Footage taken from episode 2,20,86,GT27 and Plan to eradicate the Saiyans) This squence is now far shorter and includes SFX

-Opening Credits "Chala Head Chala"

-Beginning of the Bardock special, we see baby Goku and the scientists talk

-Footage from DBZ 78 where King Vegeta and Freeza have a scene in the throne room, ends with King Vegeta's cape covering the screen followed by a fade to black (some color correction and anti frame shaking was done here)

-Title screen (now says "special extended edition" rather than "director's cut")

-Bardock special Plays out until Bardock faints on Kanasa

-Added scene of baby Goku and Broly (no power levels are mentioned)

-Bardock special returns from Vegeta's training to Freeza giving him a mission

- Due to some demand I added the scene of Paragus asking for Broly to be spared followed by the infant being stabed and thrown in the gutter (some of the dialogue in the subs will be slightly tweaked but no meaning will be changed )

-Bardock Special resumes from Bardock in a healing tube to fainting outside the Saiyan bar.

-King Vegeta's assault on Freeza from ep 78.

-Bardock special plays out again until we see Bardock's bandanna floating through space however Baby Broly and Paragus are shown rising into the air during the destruction of the planet (Note: I considered changing/extending the final preminition Bardock has of Goku and Freeza with actual Namek footage or heck Resurection F (lol) but decided against it due to not finding apropriate shots and not wanting the animation diffrence to be jarring)

-Coola's scene from the start of movie 5 (shortened to make it seem like it happens after the Special)

-Return to the Bardock Special from Vegeta not bothered about his race becoming extinct to the credits

-Credits have been translated into English and extended so at the end I could included everyone who helped me in the project (directly and indirectly). This also uses the full version of the song.

-Also during the credits the footage of Goku has been expanded to include his childhood with Gohan (including getting dropped, meeting Buluma, Training with Muten Roshi and fighting Piccolo and Tao Pai Pai)

-Also during the credits I have included a brief nod to Jaco by using some footage from Super lol (it's not that jarring as it's all shrunk up into the top left)

-Also during the credits on the request of DNA, I've added footage from Broly's childhood and teenage years to contrast with Goku saving the day. (all this extra credits stuff will be in chronological order)

- Post credits scene: "Many years later" and goes to Vegeta, Raditz and Nappa conquring a plannet only to be belittled by Freeza (from DBZ 104), eyecatch is cut out and we go to the outside where Vegeta reveals he knows the truth and is biding his time.

-Flashback effect to footage from DBZ 124 of King Vegeta telling his son how he is destined to be a Super Saiyan who stands above all (the BGM cut here is kind of noticible but I tried to smoothen it and tried some varrients, in the end it isn't ideal but IDK how I can improve it without BGM-less audio lol) Fade to black.

-The End (Taken from GT 64) Note: I had considered making a quick glimse at episode of Bardock the post credit scene but decided against it cause I hate it lol

So that's the out line, pretty much every piece of footage from the Bardock era is used with the exception of:

- Gurd's Flashback (Irrlevant)
- Episode of Bardock (because it sucks)
- Beerus bullying King Vegeta ( becuase the animation is too amazing and because it doesn't take place on the same day)
-Anything Manga only like Jaco and Dragon Ball Minus stuff
- Any accurate flash forward to Goku vs Freeza (because of animation, I couldn't find a good shot and I'm being a tad lazy, but the original preminitions were awesome as they are)

If any new releveant stuff gets added to this era that could fit in the special I might consider updating.[/spoiler]

If you have any suggestions or questions about the placements of scenes you better make them quick because it's not gonna change after I send it for timing XD

As for the previously mentioned fan dub I'm honestly unsure where that stands or if it will still happen. Last I heard it was delayed so it could be a long while before it's done. But I'm happy to wait as long as it takes TBH (after all you can't rush something as complicated as a good fandub). Regardless of the dub's status, this version is definitly lauching without it and I will update if and when a dub is finished. (It will be dual audio if it happens so people can select the track they want).

To make up for the delays I was thinking of maybe recording a comentary track where I could talk about the Special, tibits about Bardock and his creation, in universe stuff and behind the scenes interms of editing. It wouldn't take me long to do somthing like that so let me know if you're intrested. It's probably just going to be me talking to myself but I don't think it can hurt as a bonus track.

And that's it for the update, thanks for the paticence everyone!!

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

nopascal

Post by nopascal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Ohms. The project looks very promising. Can't wait to watch it. Not to annoy you, but I was wondering what the state of the project is currently.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 am

nopascal wrote:Hi Ohms. The project looks very promising. Can't wait to watch it. Not to annoy you, but I was wondering what the state of the project is currently.
Heya, so first I want to say thanks for the support and I'm sorry for the delayed response. This project will be finished no matter what, the delays have mostly been due to personal delays (as I am entering exam season now) and due me wanting the highest quality possible.

Thanks to some awesome people I got my hands on some high quality raws and now I'm replacing the materials in the project with the new raws. This means the video and audio quality will be far better than v1 as the raws I used before were compressed. (Also it will be in a different aspect ratio). However, this switch has meant that I have had to go back and do a lot of minor adjustments to make sure everything is in order. (small stuff like the eyecatchers lasting a slightly different length in the raws, needs me to retime it). In some cases, I've had to re-edit things. I also just re-did the title card.

Additionally going through the project I am always changing my mind on scene order and other minor details that seem silly but to me effect the big picture.

But yeah, I'm just juggling a few things that are delaying me, including my commitment to One Pace, School/Work stuff and personal commitments.

I feel bad as I've been promising this for a year now but I'm glad that I started the thread when I did because I wouldn't have learnt the things I have editing, or met the awesome people who made this possible by giving me their support donating the footage needed.

Regardless I want to ask everyone who has helped me and supported me to please bear with me a bit longer, I'll get it done soon, factoring subtitle timing and QC I'm aiming to get this out in the summer.

gipset

Post by gipset » Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 am

Hows it coming

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 am

gipset wrote:Hows it coming
Final encoding has been sorted out and we should be starting the subtitle timing process : )

But if you want a more complete update on the entire project here you go:

This is the updated timeline, things have been moved around a bit and of course the new raw materials have been implimented.

The film now plays out like this: [spoiler]Now obviously due to the wide array of source footage some cropping had to take place but it's only cropped when needed so that everything is the same ratio as the Dragon Box version of the Bardock Special

- TV Special Logo

- Opening prologue showing the history of the Saiyans pretendeing that Kaio is the Narrator, the Montage ends with Freeza's hands around a planet (Footage taken from episode 2,20,86,GT27 and Plan to eradicate the Saiyans) This squence is now far shorter and includes SFX

-Footage from DBZ 78 where King Vegeta and Freeza have a scene in the throne room, ends with King Vegeta's cape covering the screen followed by a fade to black (some color correction and anti frame shaking was done here)

-Title screen (now says "special extended edition" rather than "director's cut")

-Bardock special Plays out until Freeza =allows Vegeta to go wipe out a planet.

- Due to some demand I added scenes from movie 8, this includes baby Goku and Broly, Paragus asking for Broly to be spared and the infant being stabed and thrown in the gutter ( I decided to move this mateiral here because in the scene prior to this, Zarbon mentioned his fear of powerful Saiyans being born).

-Bardock Special resumes from Bardock in a healing tube to his arrival on Planet Vegeta.

- King Vegeta talking to the elites in secret and Freeza drinking his wine from ep 78.

- Bardock special continues from Bardock in the halls until he leaves the Saiyan bar

-King Vegeta's assault on Freeza from ep 78. ( I decided to split King Vegeta's assualt into 2 parts for the sake of pacing and because I thought it'd be more apropriate to keep King Vegeta in the story until the final showdown).

-Bardock special plays out again until we see Bardock's bandanna floating through space however Baby Broly and Paragus are shown rising into the air during the destruction of the planet (Note: I considered changing/extending the final preminition Bardock has of Goku and Freeza with actual Namek footage or heck Resurection F (lol) but decided against it due to not finding apropriate shots and not wanting the animation diffrence to be jarring)

-Coola's scene from the start of movie 5 (shortened to make it seem like it happens after the Special)

-Return to the Bardock Special from Vegeta not bothered about his race becoming extinct to the credits

-Credits have been translated into English and extended so at the end I could included everyone who helped me in the project (directly and indirectly). This also uses the full version of the song.

-Also during the credits the footage of Goku has been expanded to include his childhood with Gohan (including getting dropped, meeting Buluma, Training with Muten Roshi and fighting Piccolo and Tao Pai Pai)

-Also during the credits I have included a brief nod to Jaco by using some footage from Super lol (it's not that jarring as it's all shrunk up into the top left)

-Also during the credits on the request of DNA, I've added footage from Broly's childhood and teenage years to contrast with Goku saving the day. (all this extra credits stuff will be in chronological order)

- Post credits scene: "Many years later" and goes to Vegeta, Raditz and Nappa conquring a plannet only to be belittled by Freeza (from DBZ 104), eyecatch is cut out and we go to the outside where Vegeta reveals he knows the truth and is biding his time.

-Flashback effect to footage from DBZ 124 of King Vegeta telling his son how he is destined to be a Super Saiyan who stands above all (the BGM cut here is kind of noticible but I tried to smoothen it and tried some varrients, in the end it isn't ideal but IDK how I can improve it without BGM-less audio lol).

Flash back effect to return to Vegeta who nw has the final line of te film. "I have that power within me". Fade to black.

-The End (Taken from GT 64) Note: I had considered making a preview of episode of Bardock, the post credit scene but decided against it cause I hate it lol

So that's the out line, pretty much every piece of footage from the Bardock era is used with the exception of:

- Beerus bullying King Vegeta ( becuase the animation is too amazing and because it doesn't take place on the same day)
- Any accurate flash forward to Goku vs Freeza (because of animation, I couldn't find a good shot and I'm being a tad lazy, but the original preminitions were awesome as they are)

If any new releveant stuff gets added to this era that could fit in the special I might consider updating.[/spoiler]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 am

Ohms wrote:
gipset wrote:Hows it coming
Final encoding has been sorted out and we should be starting the subtitle timing process : )

But if you want a more complete update on the entire project here you go:

This is the updated timeline, things have been moved around a bit and of course the new raw materials have been implimented.

The film now plays out like this: [spoiler]Now obviously due to the wide array of source footage some cropping had to take place but it's only cropped when needed so that everything is the same ratio as the Dragon Box version of the Bardock Special

- TV Special Logo

-Bardock special Plays out until Freeza =allows Vegeta to go wipe out a planet.

- Due to some demand I added scenes from movie 8, this includes baby Goku and Broly, Paragus asking for Broly to be spared and the infant being stabed and thrown in the gutter ( I decided to move this mateiral here because in the scene prior to this, Zarbon mentioned his fear of powerful Saiyans being born).

-Bardock Special resumes from Bardock in a healing tube to his arrival on Planet Vegeta.

- King Vegeta talking to the elites in secret and Freeza drinking his wine from ep 78.

- Bardock special continues from Bardock in the halls until he leaves the Saiyan bar

-King Vegeta's assault on Freeza from ep 78. ( I decided to split King Vegeta's assualt into 2 parts for the sake of pacing and because I thought it'd be more apropriate to keep King Vegeta in the story until the final showdown).

-Flashback effect to footage from DBZ 124 of King Vegeta telling his son how he is destined to be a Super Saiyan who stands above all (the BGM cut here is kind of noticible but I tried to smoothen it and tried some varrients, in the end it isn't ideal but IDK how I can improve it without BGM-less audio lol).

Flash back effect to return to Vegeta who nw has the final line of te film. "I have that power within me". Fade to black.

-The End (Taken from GT 64) Note: I had considered making a preview of episode of Bardock, the post credit scene but decided against it cause I hate it lol

I'm extremely busy but I'll try to have this third (!) retiming done by the 18th of July.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:19 am

sangofe wrote:I'm extremely busy but I'll try to have this third (!) retiming done by the 18th of July.
I can't express how sorry I am about the re-timing; fan edits can be so unpredictable when it comes that kind of stuff but your patience is much appreciated. If you can get it done by the 18th that would be great but I don't want you to feel pressured about time restraints, let me know if you need anything.

gipset

Post by gipset » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks for the update

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:28 pm

gipset wrote:Thanks for the update
np! Thanks for your support!

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:47 pm

I just watched what I'm assuming is your v1 Extended Edition and I loved it. Far better than the original Episode of Bardock!
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 pm

DrakenballP wrote:I just watched what I'm assuming is your v1 Extended Edition and I loved it. Far better than the original Episode of Bardock!
Glad to hear you liked it! Hope you will enjoy v2 even more!

EDIT: I actually went back and checked out v1 and I'm kind of cringing at some of the mistakes I made; amd the cropped footage.....

nopascal

Post by nopascal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:20 pm

I don't mean to be disrespectful to kei and others for their hard work collecting the broadcast audios of DB,Z,OVAs, and GT.

But I feel that due to the recent leak of these broadcast audios online, projects like these put us in a bit of a conundrum. The conundrum being weather we abstain from using these audios and respect kei's efforts to share them with Toei (to maybe one day feature this audio in an official product), or use it anyways to further enhance the quality of our fan projects.

I was wondering what are your guy's thoughts on the matter and how this new material might change the production of The Bardock Special Extended Edition.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 am

nopascal wrote:I don't mean to be disrespectful to kei and others for their hard work collecting the broadcast audios of DB,Z,OVAs, and GT.

But I feel that due to the recent leak of these broadcast audios online, projects like these put us in a bit of a conundrum. The conundrum being weather we abstain from using these audios and respect kei's efforts to share them with Toei (to maybe one day feature this audio in an official product), or use it anyways to further enhance the quality of our fan projects.

I was wondering what are your guy's thoughts on the matter and how this new material might change the production of The Bardock Special Extended Edition.
Quite frankly, Kei forfeited any say he had over what people should do with the audio after he cut ties with the community at large. Whether or not one decides to use this new audio should be made on the grounds of personal ethics and priorities, not the wishes of a former friend of the community.

While I'd honestly be fine either way, I'd prefer it if the consensus ends up being it's fine to use the audio, assuming you're pairing them with legitimate video sources.

Needless to say following that, I'd love it if this project would incorporate this new audio. It would certainly cause further delay, but the quality boost would far outweigh that, I think.
Retired.