Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 is out and v2 pending!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 is out and v2 pendi

Post by Ohms » Thu May 19, 2016 1:04 am

coola wrote:Just finished watching it, and besides 16:9 ratio, i think you did great job, didn't noticed any problems, i especially loved that fade into title card, right after King Vegeta speech :) But boy is there a noticable animation quality drop during TV scenes, especially during that last part, it seemed to be done by same animator, who did Lupin Vegeta :D
Thanks! And yeah I was thinking of making that last scene a post credit scene, so it would fit in better.

Also in terms of aspect ratio, thanks to donations of footage from OmegaRockman and Xeztinm, I now have all I need. v2 will be "the way it was meant to be seen" XD.

Here's a preview of the nice 4:3 footage:
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu May 19, 2016 2:03 pm

Ooh! Nice to see this come to full fruition. I was talking with Omega earlier and he said you wanted me to cameo as Coola? Since you're retaining Pgirts Freeza (understandably). If that's true, I'd love to help and will probably approach it similarly to Nakao and doing a deeper pitched, less feminine sounding take of the same voice. Would also take some queue's from Pgirts so they actually sound like brothers.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

El Diabeetus wrote:Ooh! Nice to see this come to full fruition. I was talking with Omega earlier and he said you wanted me to cameo as Coola? Since you're retaining Pgirts Freeza (understandably). If that's true, I'd love to help and will probably approach it similarly to Nakao and doing a deeper pitched, less feminine sounding take of the same voice. Would also take some queue's from Pgirts so they actually sound like brothers.
My thought process was to keep Pgrits as Freeza, as I feel it'd be more consistent to Kai's dub but I still loved your take on Nakao so I was hoping you'd play Coola instead. I think a slightly deeper version of your Nakao would be great. I haven't had the chance to talk to Pgrits yet, to see if he'd be up for recording the extra scenes but hopefully it works out.

Btw I stole your trick on making voice actors say Saiyan properly (I saw your edit of the I am speech). Thanks a lot for giving me that idea, I've been able to make Sabat say Saiyan now in the last scene. (We're keeping Sabat and Schemmel's Kai preformances for the flash forward scenes, to maintain consistency with Kai)

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 am

Ohms wrote:
El Diabeetus wrote:Ooh! Nice to see this come to full fruition. I was talking with Omega earlier and he said you wanted me to cameo as Coola? Since you're retaining Pgirts Freeza (understandably). If that's true, I'd love to help and will probably approach it similarly to Nakao and doing a deeper pitched, less feminine sounding take of the same voice. Would also take some queue's from Pgirts so they actually sound like brothers.
My thought process was to keep Pgrits as Freeza, as I feel it'd be more consistent to Kai's dub but I still loved your take on Nakao so I was hoping you'd play Coola instead. I think a slightly deeper version of your Nakao would be great. I haven't had the chance to talk to Pgrits yet, to see if he'd be up for recording the extra scenes but hopefully it works out.

Btw I stole your trick on making voice actors say Saiyan properly (I saw your edit of the I am speech). Thanks a lot for giving me that idea, I've been able to make Sabat say Saiyan now in the last scene. (We're keeping Sabat and Schemmel's Kai performances for the flash forward scenes, to maintain consistency with Kai)
Yeah, if I get sent a script/reference video, I can get it done as soon as possible. Here's more or less what it would sound like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEawwu0YeWU

Yeah, for the Saiyan edits, I wish I had the patience to go through the entire Kai dub and edit it. And switch out Young's laugh for Ayres' in episode 1 or for BoG and Resurrection F. I'd love to do BGM placement close to make it close to Z.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Sat May 21, 2016 11:38 pm

Hey guys, here's a much needed update.

I should be done with the edit of v2 soon, in addition to amending some mistakes and switching out the 16:9 footage of Bardock and the episodes for the 4:3, I've decided to add some of the Hatchiack and Bebi stuff to the opening prologue (due to finding good spots to put them, where they won't over take the movie). If I had any footage of Jaco I'd want to put it in the credits but none really exists atm. I still want to update Bardock's flash forward at the end I can't find usable shots from Namek.

That should be it for additional footage, I don't feel that anymore Broly stuff is needed, as it has no relevance to Goku and the Gurd scene isn't related to the story.

As for the 4:3 footage, it looks great for the special and the episodes, however the 4:3 footage of the movies I got donated, sadly don't match the quality of the rest. So I may have to crop the Coola and Broly scenes from the 16:9 DVDs into 4:3, to make it work.

I'm hoping to add extended edition to the actual title at the start of the film too.

As for the fan dub track, OmegaRockman and I are producing, it's been hard to contact all the actors so it may have to wait until v3 but it's still happening. I was thinking that maybe putting a commentary track could be a cool feature to include but I'm not certain.

Finally I have shifted the Vegeta epilogue to being a post credit scene to see whether the QC's feel that works better. Speaking of QC, if anyone has an intrest in QCing and has at least a basic understanding of Japanese, contact me.

That's everything, thanks for the continued support and if you have any opinions/ ideas about v2 please let me know.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 100% Finished!]

Post by sangofe » Sun May 22, 2016 7:49 am

Ohms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I mean... I guess I could finish mine...

I don't do well with competition :twisted:

Haha I'm sure your's would be better if you did continue, but I don't really think of it as competition anyway. I only made my version because I always wanted to see this project done, ever since I heard you and kaboom talking about it on the podcast (huge fan btw).

Now that I have access to better footage and have had some good feed back on which cuts I should improve, I'm looking forward to making v2 but this time giving it more care and atension, especially with the possibility of a accurate fan dub track. If you really want to resume your own version by all means (I can't stop you lol) bur if you just wanna give me feed back on how to improve I'm open to that too :D :D
Work together :-(

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Mon May 30, 2016 12:58 am

Sorry there hasn't been news in a bit but v2 is rendering now, I'm gonna send it to be timed tommorow and after that to be QC'd.

These are the main changes between v1 and v2:

-Fixed many small mistakes from v 1
-Manipulated the Japanese dialogue of Kaio to remove references to "his planet" and saying "you" to Goku
-Added baby and raichi footage to the prologue and added sound effects to some explosions
-Added "directors cut" to the title card
-Switched the footage to 4:3
-Added the next episode preview to the end of the film
-Moved vegeta epilogue to post credits

As for the dub, it is making swift progress, however I do not wish to rush the actors or make you people wait so I'll add the track in when it's complete. There is also a lighting error during the credits which will be amended at that time, as I plan on updating the credits to include all the dub actors at the end along with the Japanese staff who made this wonderful special. There shouldn't be any editing deiffrences between v2 and the final dub release unless of course the QCs miss something. The only thing I wish I had a chance to change was updating Bardock's final flash forward but I still couldn't find good enough shots of Goku vs Freeza.

So yeah expect an updated release to replace the original as soon as tinning and QC is done. Once it's up I'm gonna have to be Mia for a week or so due to exams however I still hope you can all enjoy this upcoming version.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:18 am

Timing is, for the most part, complete. I have sent out the special to a few people who I trust to see if they can find any mistakes I need to rectify I will upload v 2 as soon as this process is done.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Bardock Special Extended Edition [v1 is out and v2 pending!]

Post by Ohms » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Sorry about the lack of news for the last bit. I had a lot of things to take care of at the start of summer. The fan dub production is going very smoothly arm and I'm nearly done fixing the things QCs spotted, once that's done I'll send the final version to have the timing revamped.

Thanks for your patience! Shouldn't be too much longer!

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Hey guys, I've just come back from a trip abroad and I've been in the process of upgrading My PC to something that supports editing better. Sorry for this delay. Things are still going forward, thanks for the patience

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Ohms wrote:Hey guys, I've just come back from a trip abroad and I've been in the process of upgrading My PC to something that supports editing better. Sorry for this delay. Things are still going forward, thanks for the patience
Take your time. Looking forward to it!
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:53 am

Netter75 wrote:
Ohms wrote:Hey guys, I've just come back from a trip abroad and I've been in the process of upgrading My PC to something that supports editing better. Sorry for this delay. Things are still going forward, thanks for the patience
Hi, what's up with this project?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 am

Ohms wrote:Hey guys, here's a much needed update.

I should be done with the edit of v2 soon, in addition to amending some mistakes and switching out the 16:9 footage of Bardock and the episodes for the 4:3, I've decided to add some of the Hatchiack and Bebi stuff to the opening prologue (due to finding good spots to put them, where they won't over take the movie). If I had any footage of Jaco I'd want to put it in the credits but none really exists atm. I still want to update Bardock's flash forward at the end I can't find usable shots from Namek.

That should be it for additional footage, I don't feel that anymore Broly stuff is needed, as it has no relevance to Goku and the Gurd scene isn't related to the story.

As for the 4:3 footage, it looks great for the special and the episodes, however the 4:3 footage of the movies I got donated, sadly don't match the quality of the rest. So I may have to crop the Coola and Broly scenes from the 16:9 DVDs into 4:3, to make it work.

I'm hoping to add extended edition to the actual title at the start of the film too.

As for the fan dub track, OmegaRockman and I are producing, it's been hard to contact all the actors so it may have to wait until v3 but it's still happening. I was thinking that maybe putting a commentary track could be a cool feature to include but I'm not certain.

Finally I have shifted the Vegeta epilogue to being a post credit scene to see whether the QC's feel that works better. Speaking of QC, if anyone has an intrest in QCing and has at least a basic understanding of Japanese, contact me.

That's everything, thanks for the continued support and if you have any opinions/ ideas about v2 please let me know.
I can get you good quality 4/3 footage for the Broli movies, but I don't have anything for Coola.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 pm

sangofe wrote:
Netter75 wrote:
Hi, what's up with this project?
Hey man, sorry for the silence,this project is still active, there was a major delay earlier as I had to shift to a new PC and move to a new house but that's just finished and I've just completed porting over the files I need to continue. The new PC will allow for a much higher quality render and compression. I hope to have a finished Japanese version done in about a week.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Puto wrote:
I can get you good quality 4/3 footage for the Broli movies, but I don't have anything for Coola.
Thanks I'll let you know if I need it!

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Just an update, this project isn't dead. Thanks to the help of somone (who doesn't want to be credited). I got my hands on actual unecoded Dragon Box rips which will improve the video footage tremendously and will up the resolution too.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

Amazing, keep it up!
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 am

Very interesting project, keep it up!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

gipset

Post by gipset » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm so hype on this. I stumbled on your first version about a year ago and it's one of the reasons I got back into DB.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:16 pm

gipset wrote:I'm so hype on this. I stumbled on your first version about a year ago and it's one of the reasons I got back into DB.
Oh wow, that's really cool to hear! I only really expected this to reach the super hardcore fans.