Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Zacharybinx34 wrote:Is the edited Dragonball kid appropriate? Any nudity in it?
What's edited out is filler, so any nudity that was originally in the Manga like Goku's penis, Bulma flashing Roshi or Krillin pulling down Bulma's top is still there.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:21 pm

How would you define "kid appropriate" aside from nudity? Because there isn't any nudity in anything from Kai onwards...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Zacharybinx34

Post by Zacharybinx34 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 am

Danfun64 wrote:How would you define "kid appropriate" aside from nudity? Because there isn't any nudity in anything from Kai onwards...
I'm asking about the original dragon ball.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:39 am

If you mean the edited TV broadcast that was on Cartoon Network in 2001, which was also released on VHS, then yes, it was kid appropriate.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Zacharybinx34

Post by Zacharybinx34 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:47 am

simtek34 wrote:
If you mean the edited TV broadcast that was on Cartoon Network in 2001, which was also released on VHS, then yes, it was kid appropriate.
No, I was referring to this edited DB project.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Dragon Ball recut doesn't censor anything. In fact Kai Recut is apparently reversing some censorship applied to Kai by the Japanese censors (which yes, include naughty bits).

Unfortunately, edited Funi original DB and DBGT are very hard to find. For one thing they were only officially released on VHS. Even on the internet, unless you make allowances for the BLT and Blue Water dubs, you can't even find the edited dubs of DB and DBGT. For another, the DB VHS sets were never fully released, and there are some cases of tapes that were only released uncut.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:54 am

Are you going to put the insert songs back into the dubbed audio? IIRC they didn't replace the music with anything else in the dub, they just left it silent, so it should be easy.

game4brains

Post by game4brains » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm

I don't know if anyone heard the news yet, but someone managed to find and upload all of the original broadcast audio for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z. In light of that news, I'm wondering if DBZ Recut will use the broadcast audio (which is the closest we'll get to the quality of the original master tapes that Toei wiped) or if it'll just use the more muffled-sounding audio that Toei took from the film reels' optical audio tracks for the home media releases.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm

game4brains wrote:I don't know if anyone heard the news yet, but someone managed to find and upload all of the original broadcast audio for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z. In light of that news, I'm wondering if DBZ Recut will use the broadcast audio (which is the closest we'll get to the quality of the original master tapes that Toei wiped) or if it'll just use the more muffled-sounding audio that Toei took from the film reels' optical audio tracks for the home media releases.
What timing. I literally just went into this thread to ask the same thing.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 am

game4brains wrote:I don't know if anyone heard the news yet, but someone managed to find and upload all of the original broadcast audio for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z. In light of that news, I'm wondering if DBZ Recut will use the broadcast audio (which is the closest we'll get to the quality of the original master tapes that Toei wiped) or if it'll just use the more muffled-sounding audio that Toei took from the film reels' optical audio tracks for the home media releases.
I am aware of this, and yes, I will be using the broadcast audio. Matter of fact, one of the main reasons I haven't started any major work on DBZ Recut is because I have been waiting for the broadcast audio to surface; I knew it was floating around out there and that it would only be a matter of time before it popped up, and for that reason, I postponed work on the project until I had access to it.

However, while I'm extremely grateful for what we've been given, I'd still prefer to work with the uncompressed, untouched audio files that served as a basis for what was, ultimately, used in the leak. Ideally, I would like them in all of their unprocessed, VHS-buzzy glory (I won't release them that way, but I'd like to try my hand at denoising myself). If anyone has any leads on that, let me know.
DefinitiveDubs wrote:Are you going to put the insert songs back into the dubbed audio? IIRC they didn't replace the music with anything else in the dub, they just left it silent, so it should be easy.
Absolutely, I will.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:17 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
DefinitiveDubs wrote:Are you going to put the insert songs back into the dubbed audio? IIRC they didn't replace the music with anything else in the dub, they just left it silent, so it should be easy.
Absolutely, I will.

That's great news. I never listen to the dub anymore anyway, apart from Kai/Super, but the removal of insert songs was something particularly frustrating about it. Scenes like Goku fighting Muten Roshi or Gohan going SSJ2 that were so incredibly epic, reduced to, I don't even know what, by the removal of the songs.

When it comes to the Japanese audio, especially if you're using the recordings of the broadcast audio for Z, doesn't that make it impossible if you ever need to separate out the music from the dialogue and sound effects to reposition it? Do you just have to work around that?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 am

Fizzer wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
DefinitiveDubs wrote:When it comes to the Japanese audio, especially if you're using the recordings of the broadcast audio for Z, doesn't that make it impossible if you ever need to separate out the music from the dialogue and sound effects to reposition it? Do you just have to work around that?
I imagine that'd just make it easier more than anything. Now that higher quality audio is available, it'll be easier to use the released OSTs to cancel out the music in the show, and then using the music off the OST discs in scenes will also be easier to get to the same quality as the rest of the audio.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 am

Fizzer wrote:When it comes to the Japanese audio, especially if you're using the recordings of the broadcast audio for Z, doesn't that make it impossible if you ever need to separate out the music from the dialogue and sound effects to reposition it? Do you just have to work around that?
Yes, it is impossible (or at least well outside of the realm of what I am capable of). I will work around it just as I did with Dragon Ball Recut.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

TBF, it was probably even more impossible when it was just the Dragon Box audio, due to it being lower quality and all...

I wonder if the Broadcast Audio and the Season Blu-Ray Japanese audio could be combined so as to help compensate for the lossy quality of the former.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

dallmann

Post by dallmann » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Excellent initiative, but limited to two languages, if you use EDL (edit decision list wiki). So all languages will be available if they use a similar rip or it is possible to make adjustments in EDL time. Creating an EDL is not considered piracy, it would be like a subtitles.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Never saw that before, interesting. Considering all the censorship and versions the DB franchise over the years, seeing something like that for all of them would be wonderful...however, making such a list seeing how the 167 episodes of Kai were cut from the exact DBZ episodes should be first priority. Granted, having a list of cuts for projects like this should be a close second.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:39 pm

For the Kai Recut, will you be using the voices from the original Z where the cast was younger or will you be using the Kai voices?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 am

Helios518 wrote:For the Kai Recut, will you be using the voices from the original Z where the cast was younger or will you be using the Kai voices?
I assume you mean the japanese voices? For the english, he's already mentioned that he's using Kai's dub. He also said that he's giving the dub priority for the Kai recut, and that he'd also be recutting Z for it's japanese voicing acting and score.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

If you don't mind me asking what your processes in doing these projects? I want to do something similar but I got no idea were to begin.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:49 pm

10/10 on this amazing project so far!! ^^ Can't wait to see the end result of it! Since FUNi released the English dub of the Buu Saga I have to ask if you have an ETA for Kai.