Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Image

A while ago, I completed an edit of Dragon Ball wherein I removed as much filler as I possibly could. It was first known as Dragon Ball RF (the RF standing for Reduced Filler) but the release of the most recent film (Resurrection 'F') all but forced me to change the title, so I chose Dragon Ball Recut instead.

About The Editing Process:

First of all, it's dual-audio. Using the Dragon Box as the source for video and Japanese audio, and the Blue Bricks as the source for the English dub and subtitles, I have gone through the entire series and edited out as much filler as I possibly could.

Priority was given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons: the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost. The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub. At the beginning of this project, I paid much more attention to the dub and tried to edit it in such a way that would be more faithful to the original Japanese dialog. However, it very quickly became apparent to me that the English dub was a lost cause, so I stopped caring about it after the first few episodes or so. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it was originally supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue).

Episode lengths (and file sizes) vary, due to the nature of the editing process. I tried to keep the episodes around 24 minutes or so, but it was really a matter of finding a good ending point for each episode. For that reason, some episodes run for about 18 minutes while others can go for as long as 32 minutes. I tried not to go much longer than 30 minutes per episode, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.

Total Amount of Footage Cut:

I recently did some number crunching in order to give me a rough estimate of just how much footage I cut from the show, and here's what I came up with.
  • Disregarding the OP and ED themes, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs, that leaves each episode BEFORE EDITING at about 20 minutes and 26 seconds of actual show time.
  • Multiply that number by 153 episodes total, and you're left with 52 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds.
  • My recut of the show (again disregarding OP, ED, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs) comes out to about 29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds
  • That leaves us with a grand total of 23 hours, 1 minute and 15 seconds worth of actual show footage cut, all of which was filler in one way or another.
You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps entirely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves me with around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut. That saves you almost an entire day!

I know this project has been around for about a year or two now, but I've seen some people ask about it elsewhere on the forums so I decided to make a thread for it here in the hopes of making it a little bit easier to find. Also, I put a lot of time and effort into this project and, while I primarily did it for myself, I figured that it wouldn't be the worst thing to let more people know about it. Some people around here have said some very nice things about this project, and I appreciate the kind words. I am proud of the final product and I hope others are able to enjoy it as much as I do.

I can't share links to this project here because of the rules, nor do I want to explicitly tell you where you can find it because I'm not sure how acceptable that would be either. But it is relatively easy to find if you look for it (google is your friend).

And now, introducing my next works in progress...

Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut

I'm currently working on a recut of Dragon Ball Z Kai to remove any filler that remains. You may be thinking that it's weird to choose to recut Kai as opposed to Z seeing as how Kai has most of the filler already removed anyway, but that was actually the incentive for me, at least at first. Why remove the filler from Z when Kai has already done most of the work for me? Dragon Ball Recut was very labor-intensive, so any excuse to do less work is okay with me. I figured going through Kai would just be a matter of tweaking some things here and there and that it would be a breeze. While that proved to be true at first, I am just about finished with the Freeza saga now and it has become just as exhausting an editing process as Dragon Ball was.

I'm basically going through and fixing Kai, trying to make it more of what people originally hoped it would be. That includes, among other things, removing any remaining filler that I can, uncensoring everything that I can, and correcting dialog mistakes in the English dub.

This project differs from Dragon Ball Recut in that I am using the English video from the Funimation blu-rays, so all of the credits and titles are hard-coded in English. I am also giving equal priority to the English dub this time around because I quite like it.

And, because I will probably get asked this right off the bat:
[spoiler]
  • I was unable to remove Gregory. Simply put, he is present in far too many manga-material shots afterward for it to be possible.
  • I was, however, able to remove all of the Bulma/Ginyu body-switch stuff. Not only was I able to remove it, but it was incredibly easy to do so, making it that much more frustrating that Toei decided to leave it in.
[/spoiler]

As I said, it's a work in progress. I don't plan on releasing it until I'm completely finished with everything, and that includes the Buu saga meaning that I have to wait on Funimation to release their new English dub.

Dragon Ball Z Recut

(Added on 9-7-2016)

I'm also beginning work on a recut of Dragon Ball Z while I wait for Boo Kai to show up in North America. Why recut both Z and Kai, you ask? Because I'm a damn fool, that's why! Honestly, though, I started Kai first, and then about halfway through realized that I also want to recut the original Z for the OG Japanese dub and Kikuchi music. So now I'm doing both. Yay.

I welcome any feedback and questions from all of you hardcore Dragon Ball fans. I may also post here occasionally asking for your help and opinions on things.
I really enjoy dragon ball recut anyone who is considering watching dragon ball recut I highly recommend it
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Luffy123

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Luffy123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:20 am

For Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters would u be using the audio from kai but use dragon ball z remaster box set because of the green tilt?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Luffy123 wrote:For Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters would u be using the audio from kai but use dragon ball z remaster box set because of the green tilt?
You'd think he'd use the Dragon Box footage because the Blu-Ray Z footage SUCKS.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Luffy123 wrote:For Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters would u be using the audio from kai but use dragon ball z remaster box set because of the green tilt?
You'd think he'd use the Dragon Box footage because the Blu-Ray Z footage SUCKS.
Yeah but Kai green tilt looks terrible unless he's gonna color correct it himself?

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Luffy123 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yeah but Kai green tilt looks terrible unless he's gonna color correct it himself?
Honestly, he's better off using the Dragon Box Footage or something, because color correcting TFC isn't just as easy as applying one filter throughout the episode; you have to correct each shot. Besides, it's not like Toei removed filler from Boo Arc for Kai.
Last edited by Helios518 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Color-corrected or not, it's still cropped, which is straight-up unfixable without using footage from some other source.

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Shaddy wrote:Color-corrected or not, it's still cropped, which is straight-up unfixable without using footage from some other source.
yeah, that's why i thought using the dragon ball z Blue ray maybe be the best option, like how the person who's doing the buu manga cut, my problem with his cut is that it disrupts flow the cuts itself are way to jarring especially fight scenes. Plus excited for this cut because dragon ball recut was really well done, i just finished it they is some gripes but nothing really to do with the editing but more on how the manga was designed.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Luffy123 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: You'd think he'd use the Dragon Box footage because the Blu-Ray Z footage SUCKS.
Honestly, he's better off using the Dragon Box Footage or something, because color correcting TFC isn't just as easy as applying one filter throughout the episode; you have to correct each shot. Besides, it's not like Toei removed filler from Boo Arc for Kai.
You know they did though, right? Just not as much as Q-Tec.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 am

Luffy123 wrote:yeah, that's why i thought using the dragon ball z Blue ray maybe be the best option, like how the person who's doing the buu manga cut
You seem to be a bit confused on which release is which. First off, all of them have color issues. The Dragon Boxes are what's in 4:3. The "remastered" season DVDs (AKA orange bricks) are cropped, have the contrast blown up and look like garbage, and the Blu-Rays are basically just an HD version of those (with less intense filtering). Their colors still are better, but not great, and they're still cropped. All releases of Buu Kai have the green tint and are cropped.

TLDR the Dragon Boxes are pretty definitively the best in terms of visuals, but there's no great answer. If Buu Kai had just had visuals that were consistent with the first 98 episodes of Kai everything would be so much better.

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:06 am

Shaddy wrote:
Luffy123 wrote:yeah, that's why i thought using the dragon ball z Blue ray maybe be the best option, like how the person who's doing the buu manga cut
You seem to be a bit confused on which release is which. First off, all of them have color issues. The Dragon Boxes are what's in 4:3. The "remastered" season DVDs (AKA orange bricks) are cropped, have the contrast blown up and look like garbage, and the Blu-Rays are basically just an HD version of those (with less intense filtering). Their colors still are better, but not great, and they're still cropped. All releases of Buu Kai have the green tint and are cropped.

TLDR the Dragon Boxes are pretty definitively the best in terms of visuals, but there's no great answer. If Buu Kai had just had visuals that were consistent with the first 98 episodes of Kai everything would be so much better.
agreed, just can't really handle the look of Buu saga plus the pacing is awful, the buu saga is just such a mess, wish they continued Kai and gave it to Q-TEC as a long-term investment, as long term wise it be really beneficial financially and for super.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 am

Luffy123 wrote:agreed, just can't really handle the look of Buu saga plus the pacing is awful, the buu saga is just such a mess, wish they continued Kai and gave it to Q-TEC as a long-term investment, as long term wise it be really beneficial financially and for super.
Except in Japan, where the series didn't sell enough merch to warrant it. The rest was only commissioned because Toei noticed how well the series did overseas & only aired it in Japan because Toriko got prematurely cancelled for being a bad anime adaptation of the manga (from what I've heard, at least). And,, "badly paced"? The Kai version of the Buu Saga's actually really well-paced. If you have any problems with the pacing, your problems are probably more so with the original manga, as Toriyama clearly had too many ideas for what he wanted to do to end the story, as well as shifted the tone of the series, so it went on too long. The Kai version of the anime did fine with the pacing, especially when binged.

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:35 am

Scsigs wrote:
Luffy123 wrote:agreed, just can't really handle the look of Buu saga plus the pacing is awful, the buu saga is just such a mess, wish they continued Kai and gave it to Q-TEC as a long-term investment, as long term wise it be really beneficial financially and for super.
Except in Japan, where the series didn't sell enough merch to warrant it. The rest was only commissioned because Toei noticed how well the series did overseas & only aired it in Japan because Toriko got prematurely cancelled for being a bad anime adaptation of the manga (from what I've heard, at least). And,, "badly paced"? The Kai version of the Buu Saga's actually really well-paced. If you have any problems with the pacing, your problems are probably more so with the original manga, as Toriyama clearly had too many ideas for what he wanted to do to end the story, as well as shifted the tone of the series, so it went on too long. The Kai version of the anime did fine with the pacing, especially when binged.
Well buu saga structurally is all over the place, but adapting 6 volumes into 61-69ep isn't what i consider good pacing, i think the manga goes way too fast and filler was needed. If u were just to compare just to normal anime adaption or yu yu Hakusho probably be the best. had about 175 chapters thats about 19 volumes and adapted that into a good 112 ep.

where buu saga about 98 chapters and condensed into 61-69ep. (vol 20-26)

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 am

Scsigs wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
Luffy123 wrote:
I didn’t know that. What have they removed?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Helios518 wrote: Honestly, he's better off using the Dragon Box Footage or something, because color correcting TFC isn't just as easy as applying one filter throughout the episode; you have to correct each shot. Besides, it's not like Toei removed filler from Boo Arc for Kai.
I didn’t know that. What have they removed?
Well, it's been several years since I saw the original version of it, so I can't point out everything, but what I noticed was that the majority of the Great Saiyaman filler was removed, condensed to only 3 episodes, the fight with Goku against Majin Vegeta was shortened to the pace it had in the manga, the filler of Goku & Vegeta inside Super Buu's body where they had to make it up to his head was taken out to match the manga's pacing, as well as the majority of Buu flying around & raiding bakeries, with Mr. Satan & Dende following him, the majority of the Otherworld stuff with Yamcha & Krillin fighting some of the fighters, as well as the Heaven filler, & an episode's worth of filler added to the last manga chapter's epilogue to better match that chapter for the last episode.
For some reason I don't understand, though, they didn't take out 2 Hell scenes in the later episodes (where the villains are watching Goku's fight against Kid Buu on that giant crystal ball, which includes Gaz & Mez commenting on how Goku fell off of Snake Way, which is a direct continuity break because Goku never went to Hell in Kai, as Hell was never shown in the manga, so in Res F & Super, it breaks continuity with Kai, since Kai's supposed to be closer to the manga), so it's not great, but it still cuts out a LOT of the superfluous stuff from the original. From what I can tell, the Japanese cut cut out even MORE of the early filler left in to get the show moving faster since it wasn't meant to air on Japanese TV anyways. Though episode 166 is entirely filler & isn't even changed from the original from what I know.
So, there you go. The filler left in just helps pace the episodes better, except for the Hell scenes. It doesn't drag on forever like Z & the show flows a lot better. In addition, some scenes or shots are moved around from Z's placements. I did an entire recut of the Z episodes that make up the first 2 of TFC, so I know this first hand.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Scsigs wrote:Though episode 166 is entirely filler & isn't even changed from the original from what I know.
At first I didn't understand why that was there, but if you look at it under the idea that you're saving 167 and 168 for after Super for a chronological run, then 166 is a nice celebration episode for Buu's defeat and the end of the Z era. Although I do think that it is a bit redundant if you want to watch Yo!, since the part is explicitly the anniversary of Buu's defeat.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:41 am

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Though episode 166 is entirely filler & isn't even changed from the original from what I know.
At first I didn't understand why that was there, but if you look at it under the idea that you're saving 167 and 168 for after Super for a chronological run, then 166 is a nice celebration episode for Buu's defeat and the end of the Z era. Although I do think that it is a bit redundant if you want to watch Yo!, since the part is explicitly the anniversary of Buu's defeat.
I mean, it's not an offensive episode, but I don't really understand why it's still there. I get what they were going for, but since they had material both at the time TFC was being put together & after that filled in that gap, it's kind of an unnecessary episode, really.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Just curious of the status of this project. Having DB and DBZ (not Kai) recut completed is an absolute dream, having the original music and Japanese performances in tact while having it play at a decent pace. I plan to use this when I introduce the show to friends, honestly.

Anyway, not trying to lay on the pressure, I realize all fan projects are done with nothing but heart and people have full lives outside of these projects, but just wondering what the status is and just letting you know that there's at least one more person out there that's totally excited for this project. :D

Shon87

Post by Shon87 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Just finished Dragon Ball recut and man... I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the original. Thank you so much for your hard work and I can’t wait for DBZ recut.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:26 am

Yeah for the most part I'll probably never watch the original again either, and I suspect that goes for Z and Kai when DBZ Recut is finished.

In my last viewing I switched to the original Piccolo arc after Tambourine putting down Goku and until Goku's second battle with Daimao (it was either at the end of the darkness filler or right as Goku appears on the battlefield - wherever the two versions lined up). That's because some of the embellishments with the chaos Piccolo unleashes improve the arc for me and the Yajirobe stuff actually feels really slow if you don't have other scenes in between.

I'll probably do the same with some of the Saiyan and Saiyaman filler too, but Recut is now my default/base version of the series.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am

It's honestly exciting to know a really perfect version of Z is gonna exist with this. I dunno if it'll be shorter than Kai (well, the Buu saga certainly should be) but it'll be great to have Kai's better dubbing with the picture and music of the original.