Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Clemsi

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Clemsi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi !

I am a french fan, and I really appreciate your project.
I can't watch Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z without the Kikuchi OST that I love, but I hate the filler scenes of the original anime, so your Kai version is perfect. :clap:

Thank you so much for what you did !
I can't wait for Dragon Ball Z Recut !

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by MistaL » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

I think it's about time to maybe update the OP, Milkman. Been about two years, haha.

NathanPowellx47

Post by NathanPowellx47 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Any update on the DBZ recut?

I'm nearing the end of the DB recut (never watched any of the franchise before) and really love it

EDIT:
IAmTheMilkman, you are amazing! Eternally grateful you put in the effort to do these edits

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Can someone please PM me DB Recut? Thanks ;)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am

Any update on DBZ Recut? I'm so hyped for this.

Also, could I get a PM of DB Recut? Thanks.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Not all heroes wear capes.

I'm glad you're also working on a recut DBZ! While I enjoyed Kai for removing so much filler, I wasn't a big fan of the brighter colors (due to the remastering process?). Any idea how many episodes DBZ recut will be in total? Kai was 167 episodes so I assume your Recut might be around 130-140? Thank you for all your hard work!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:02 am

Forte224 wrote:Any update on DBZ Recut? I'm so hyped for this.

No longer needed.

TatumJay

Post by TatumJay » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:17 am

Forte224 wrote:

No longer needed.
Why did you find out? I'd like to know the answer as well.

And where can I find the DB cut?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 am

TatumJay wrote:
Forte224 wrote:

No longer needed.
Why did you find out? I'd like to know the answer as well.

And where can I find the DB cut?
I sent a PM.

Trigunblitz

Post by Trigunblitz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm

Thank you to Milkman for the amazing DB recut! :clap:

I made an account to keep hope alive for the DBZ Kai recut. I hope to hear an update from milkman soon! It's been 13 months without an update :shock: hopefully, the project is still making progress.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am

I have a problem with DB Recut. The first episode won't download. It will start and then it will say a problem occurred. Anyone has this problem?

I'd also like to see your DBZ Recut and compare it to mine just to see how far we can go with filler removal.

321gametime

Post by 321gametime » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:18 am

Are you going to be using the Original Broadcast Audio for Z Recut?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:57 am

321gametime wrote:Are you going to be using the Original Broadcast Audio for Z Recut?
Pretty sure he's gonna use Kai's dub.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 am

He's asking about the Japanese audio.

In which case, probably. Nobody uses the crappy optical recordings if they can help it.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 am

MistaL wrote:I think it's about time to maybe update the OP, Milkman. Been about two years, haha.
Good idea.

Dragon Ball Kai Recut episodes 001-047 are now complete and available for your viewing pleasure!
  • ⦁ Dual-audio, English and Japanese.
    ⦁ Yamamoto score.
This covers the entirety of the Saiyan, Namek, and Freeza arcs. As usual, I will not be providing any links here directly, but it isn't difficult to find (public anime torrent sites are your friends).I'm also pretty amenable to requests via private message if you ask nicely.

About Dragon Ball Kai Recut:

While this definitely works as a companion piece to Dragon Ball Recut, it differs from that project in the sense that the English dub takes center stage this time around--it's the default track and the title cards are in English. A controversial choice to be sure, but I've always felt that Kai was more of a treat for English fans than those of the original Japanese. Not to worry, however, as the Japanese track was given just as much attention as the English and is by all means watchable (I still had to edit around the Japanese music cues, after all). For fans who prefer how Dragon Ball Recut gave priority to the Japanese track instead, Z Recut will be for you.

Kai already removed a lot of the filler, but what little filler remained is almost entirely absent from this cut. As always, the rule was that if it wasn't in the manga, I would do my best to remove it. Most of the time, I was able to. I tried very hard to make everything as seamless as possible, of course, but there were times when I hated the filler in question so much that, even if it wasn't the smoothest of cuts, I felt it was better than having to sit through the awful story-breaking filler.

There were even some instances where I actually tried to smooth out some of Toei's own rougher edits. On the other side of that, though, there were some cuts and transitions Toei made that I was unable to fix and feel I may be wrongly blamed for, but so be it. That is the nature of the beast, I suppose.

After much trial and error, I decided to ultimately fold-down the English dub from 5.1 to stereo. It was much easier to do that way, especially when it came to the episodes where I had to reinsert the Yamamoto score (you wouldn't have been getting much more from those episodes in 5.1 anyway).

The gate weave bugs me, so I initially tried stabilizing the footage but soon gave up on that as it proved to be far too much work. However, here and there if a scene or shot was particularly jumpy and more distracting than usual, I would try to stabilize it.

I did my best to restore all of the uncensored footage, but I am just no good when it comes to color correcting/matching. I tried my best and sometimes it works better than others, but it's really not my area of expertise, and I apologize for that. I had more luck color matching the Dragon Box footage than the Level set footage, but I always used HD over Dragon Box whenever possible.
  • ⦁ The one thing I didn't restore, and I realize this is going to upset some people, was Vegeta flipping off Krillin on Namek. I partly justify it by the fact that it wasn't in the manga, but it also honestly just feels so out of place to me; I don't feel that the action really lines up with what Vegeta's saying and it strikes me as an odd choice to make on old-school Toei's part. Those two reasons combined convinced me to leave it as is.
Notable cuts/alterations (all of which mirror the manga, of course):
  • ⦁ There is no more camera crew or "media" present during the Saiyan arc.
    ⦁ Bulma no longer leaves the cave on Namek only to be chased down by Earth dinosaurs that are inexplicably present on a distant alien planet.
    • ––This was by far the most difficult thing to cut and may require some squinting on your part as I had to frankenstein together quite a bit of pieces to make it work. That said, I'm happy with how it turned out given what little I had to work with and the fact that I am no graphic designer/animator. And anyway, in my opinion it's much better than having to suffer through that awful filler.
    ⦁ Gohan no longer goes back to fight Freeza after finding Bulma. Matter of fact, Bulma and Gohan never even make it back to Goku's ship before being teleported to Earth.
    ⦁ After his resurrection, Vegeta never sees Goku as a Super Saiyan or Freeza on Namek before being teleported to Earth.
    • ––This fixes a minor plot hole introduced where Vegeta, after suggesting how they resurrect Goku back on Earth, thinks to himself, "I just want to see Kakarroto, now that he's a Super Saiyan," even though he had already seen him as one thanks to that piece of filler. I can't believe this plot hole still exists in Kai when they could have easily fixed it by just recording a slightly different line of dialog here, much like the English dub did. However, I suppose it works better now that I was able to remove the problematic filler in question, so perhaps I should be grateful?
    ⦁ The Ginyu/Bulma stuff never happens.
    • ––This was surprisingly easy to remove and makes me question why Toei chose to leave it in. I can understand keeping things like Bulma leaving the cave, or Gohan going back to fight Freeza, or Vegeta seeing Goku and Freeza before being teleported to Earth, because those things were not easy to remove. But with how easy this whole Ginyu/Bulma business was to cut, I just don't get why they would purposely choose to leave it in.
    ⦁ Vegeta never goes off to train in space while on Earth (at least not as far as we know).
    • ––This is something that really bugs me in the original anime and Kai because it significantly changes a little bit about Vegeta's character development, at least in my opinion. In the manga, after Vegeta is teleported to Earth, the next time we see him is a year later at Capsule Corp. when Freeza shows up. That means that for a full year Vegeta has been living among Bulma and company and, judging by his outfit at the barbecue and the fact that he hasn't killed anybody, he seems to be living relatively comfortably. The anime changes this significantly, however, by sending Vegeta off into space just three months after his arrival on Earth upon hearing that Goku is still alive (and while I'm on the subject, why the hell is he still wearing the same battle-damaged shirt and armor with massive holes torn into them a solid three months after Namek?) The next time we see him after this is when he arrives back on Earth on what appears to be the same day that Goku and Freeza also show up. This means that, in the anime timeline, he has spent much less time on Earth, and zero days living with Yamcha, who was resurrected on the same day that he chose to fly off into space, making Tenshinhan's line upon seeing Vegeta later that day of "I don't know how Yamcha can bring himself to live together with you" a little nonsensical. Of the two scenarios, I find the manga's to be far more interesting for Vegeta, which is of course retained in this cut.
Some notes on the English dub:
  • ⦁ I fixed any dub errors I came across. For instance, Dende no longer refers to any of his sisters.
    ⦁ I retained Makankosappo, Masenko, and Kienzan, but because Goku used "Solar Flare" against Vegeta, I begrudgingly changed Krillin's uses of Taiyo-Ken back to "Solar Flare" for consistency's sake. If Goku had also said "Taiyo-Ken," or if I could find decent audio somewhere of Schemmel saying it, then I would have gladly kept it as is, but alas, that is not the world we live in.
    ⦁ I changed all instances of "Dragon Ball Z Kai" to "Dragon Ball Kai." Sometimes this change worked better than others, but I think for the most part it's pretty seamless.
Now, I feel that I must take some time to address the elephant in the room, and that is the matter of why I'm recutting Kai at all if I plan on doing the same thing for Z. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that same question myself at one point or another. Truthfully, when I began recutting Kai, I had no real plans to recut Z. But after many requests to do so, along with my own personal desire to be able to comfortably enjoy this portion of the series with the original Kikuchi placement, I decided eventually to recut Z as well. However, at the time I made that decision I was already too far into my Kai recut to abandon it. But that's not to say that a recut of Kai isn't worth doing; there are benefits to be had (in addition to it being a much lighter workload for me).

For one, this cut may very well hew closer to the manga than would ever be possible with a recut of Z, with much of the filler having already been removed by Toei who have the added benefit of being able to rescore and redub whenever necessary. I don't have that luxury and remain a slave to the Japanese music cue placement. For that reason, there are almost certainly cuts made here that just wouldn't be possible to make in the original Z. Along those same lines, given the inherent nature of Kai, I felt that I was able to take more risks with my edits without having them stand out any more than what Toei has already done. That's not to say that I didn't bother trying to integrate each cut as seamlessly as possible into the final product, I absolutely tried my hardest to do just that, but I was more forgiving of some of my riskier edits because, in the end, do they really stand out more than the redrawn shots or some of the lazier cuts made by Toei? I certainly hope the answer to that question is no.

More than anything, though, I just like Kai. I like Yamamoto's score, and I wanted to be able to watch it all the way through with the remaining filler removed. That is ultimately why I'm doing this. But don't worry, Z is still on the way.

Enjoy, and the rest will be coming sooner rather than later. I know I initially said I'd be releasing the series completely in one go, but I grew tired of sitting on what I already had completed. I'll most likely be releasing by arcs from now on. And I really do apologize for the lack of updates and for how long it took to get this out, but life is life and I'm not immune to it. I also didn't want to say anything here in the thread until I actually had something concrete to give you because talking about the project while having nothing to show for it was really bumming me out.

Regarding Dragon Ball Z Recut:
With the recent remastering of the films, and rumors from somewhat reliable sources(?) about the original series being remastered as well, I'm starting to suspect that Toei may actually release Z in proper HD in the near future. If that is indeed the case, I will be using that HD footage along with the original broadcast audio that is widely available for the Japanese track.

Regarding Dragon Ball Recut: If Dragon Ball is also released in HD, I will re-release the series with the updated footage and as much original broadcast audio as I can find. More and more episodes are slowly surfacing with broadcast audio, and I hope that trend continues. I'll also fix any errors that are present in the English dub track, of which I know at least one.

I'm sure I have more things to say, but this post is starting to take longer to write than it took to edit the project. If you have any questions, ask away and I will do my best to answer them. And please let me know if you encounter any mistakes or other problems with the episodes. I tried to make sure that everything was good to go, but it's tough to thoroughly QC everything by myself.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 am

Holy shit was I in for a good surprise! I'm checking it out ASAP!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

I've been waiting for this for a while. I probably won't check out your recut of The Final Chapters/the Buu Saga, opting to wait for your recut of the original 4:3 masters of the show, but I'll see. This'll be very interesting to watch, since I also love Kai, but some of the remaining filler WAS irksome, like the Namek stuff.

Also, one thing for your recut of the Buu Saga's English dub, could you use Goku's like of "Thank you, Vegeta" from Z as opposed to the Kai line of, "Thanks, Vegeta. Here we go!"? Also Mr. Satan's line in Z, "I'll turn you into a hot dog!" that was changed to whatever the line was in Kai? I always hated that, with all of the well-translated lines in TFC, they needlessly changed BOTH of those to something else in Kai for seemingly no other reason than, "Let's be different than Z because that dub mostly sucks," which is a sentiment I understand & mostly agree with, but they shouldn't have needlessly changed the lines that were already perfectly-translated in the Z dub too.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PrincessJapanese

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by PrincessJapanese » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

After years it's here! A Japanese manga edit of Kai. And eventually Z!
I remember the the first time I saw that Kametsu post lol so long ago.
Thanks Milkman for all the hard work!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Milkman you are a badass. I saw this thread come up and wondered "huh, I hope this project isn't dead", and voi-fucking-la, it turns out a big release has just happened. Even as someone still waiting for the Z cut just because of the kikuchi score (and JP audio for whenever I feel like switching to it), I cannot wait to watch the Kai cut for something even closer to the manga's pace. Great job all around. When this is all complete it'll be like an entire alternate universe where the show was constructed for people's enjoyment, and I could recommend something from the anime on a similar level that I recommend the manga.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Hey Milkman. Are you still gonna be using the Kai dub for Z like you said way early in the thread?