Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:Also, have you had any cases where you've been stuck with a line from Nadolny's Gohan or Young's Freeza without Clinkenbeard or Ayres dialogue to replace it? How do you handle such a situation?
Haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm sure it's bound to happen. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
You might be able to rip audio from Xenoverse or something for Ayres' Freeza, but that'd probably only work for the odd throwaway line.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am

simtek34 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
DefinitiveDubs wrote:Could you consider adding this awesome English version of OP 1 to the dubbed version of Z Recut?
No, I'm sticking with the Japanese version. I considered using an English version, but I've never heard one that I was happy with. This one is pretty decent, but I wish it were just a little more professional sounding.
Have you thought of using Kageyama's English version for the English dub at all?

https://youtu.be/zDUkPi1Fk8E
His version is overly literal and Engrish-y. I sure hope not.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:28 pm

For Z and Kai recut, how will you be able to edit the filler for how Bidel finds out Gohan is the Great Saiyaman? Since the whole Chobi/Great Saiyaman robber thing wasn't in the manga?

BTW, how far are you in Kai Recut?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:15 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
DefinitiveDubs wrote:Could you consider adding this awesome English version of OP 1 to the dubbed version of Z Recut?
No, I'm sticking with the Japanese version. I considered using an English version, but I've never heard one that I was happy with. This one is pretty decent, but I wish it were just a little more professional sounding.
Have you heard MidiGuyDP's version? I've used it in the past with his permission, so I'm sure he'd let you use it as well if you ask, assuming you like it, of course.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:00 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Have you heard MidiGuyDP's version? I've used it in the past with his permission, so I'm sure he'd let you use it as well if you ask, assuming you like it, of course.
I like the lyrics he changed, but his singing is...bleh.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:23 pm

When you say you prioritised the Japanese audio in DB, what's the trade-off for the English track? I've only watched a few scenes in English and couldn't see any problems.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Fizzer wrote:When you say you prioritised the Japanese audio in DB, what's the trade-off for the English track? I've only watched a few scenes in English and couldn't see any problems.
Basically, I'm pretty sure, he meant he structured the visual edits around the Japanese audio. When it came to the dub, that was edited to fit the new visual cues. At least, I think that's what he meant.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm

So, I've just used your cut to revisit Dragon Ball after a decade at least. Gotta say: Absolutely phenomenal job. Pure delight at times. I can't say thank you enough for putting in the time to do all that editing. Now I've finished up, I'm looking to move into Z. Since you haven't released a cut of Z or Kai yet; is there a particular version you recommend in the meantime? I watched DB Recut on Japanese audio with subtitles and absolutely loved it. For now, I've got a bunch of the Funimation bluray set (incomplete as of now but looking at amazon now to get the ones I'm missing). Is it worth sticking with it, or should I look for another version (keeping in mind that I liked the JPN audio and ENG subtitles of the Recut). I wouldn't mind an English dub, but I've heard that certain dubs take massive liberties with the translations.

Whatever the case, thank you so much for your work on Dragon Ball Recut. It brought a massive amount of joy to me after not watching DB for so long. Keep it up, mate. You're an absolute legend.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Muntz wrote:So, I've just used your cut to revisit Dragon Ball after a decade at least. Gotta say: Absolutely phenomenal job. Pure delight at times. I can't say thank you enough for putting in the time to do all that editing. Now I've finished up, I'm looking to move into Z. Since you haven't released a cut of Z or Kai yet; is there a particular version you recommend in the meantime? I watched DB Recut on Japanese audio with subtitles and absolutely loved it. For now, I've got a bunch of the Funimation bluray set (incomplete as of now but looking at amazon now to get the ones I'm missing). Is it worth sticking with it, or should I look for another version (keeping in mind that I liked the JPN audio and ENG subtitles of the Recut). I wouldn't mind an English dub, but I've heard that certain dubs take massive liberties with the translations.

Whatever the case, thank you so much for your work on Dragon Ball Recut. It brought a massive amount of joy to me after not watching DB for so long. Keep it up, mate. You're an absolute legend.
DBZ Kai is an absolute delight. Even though it has SOME filler, the emphasis to indicate very little because of what they didn't cut out either because of the animation itself, or stuff they left in for whatever reason, it's considerably cut down from the original version of Z.
The English dub is PHENOMENAL. Minus some inconsistent terminologies, I have my own thread for that if you wanna know what exactly on that subject, & some pronunciation differences, Saiyan pronounced as "Say-in" rather than "Sigh-in" for example, but I'm sure you knew that, the dub is as close to perfect as we've ever gotten. Not just in translation either. The actors are FAR better than when they started out. Plus, the show, minus the Buu saga, isn't cropped, or remastered poorly like the DBZ Blu-Rays, which I can't believe you actually picked up. They actually went back to the original masters & touched up the footage really well & what they couldn't readily touch up, they reanimated.
I can't believe you never checked it out. It's way more worth it to get the Kai Blu-Rays than the Z ones, believe me.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Muntz wrote:So, I've just used your cut to revisit Dragon Ball after a decade at least. Gotta say: Absolutely phenomenal job. Pure delight at times. I can't say thank you enough for putting in the time to do all that editing. Now I've finished up, I'm looking to move into Z. Since you haven't released a cut of Z or Kai yet; is there a particular version you recommend in the meantime? I watched DB Recut on Japanese audio with subtitles and absolutely loved it. For now, I've got a bunch of the Funimation bluray set (incomplete as of now but looking at amazon now to get the ones I'm missing). Is it worth sticking with it, or should I look for another version (keeping in mind that I liked the JPN audio and ENG subtitles of the Recut). I wouldn't mind an English dub, but I've heard that certain dubs take massive liberties with the translations.

DBZ Kai is an absolute delight. Even though it has SOME filler, the emphasis to indicate very little because of what they didn't cut out either because of the animation itself, or stuff they left in for whatever reason, it's considerably cut down from the original version of Z.
The English dub is PHENOMENAL. Minus some inconsistent terminologies, I have my own thread for that if you wanna know what exactly on that subject, & some pronunciation differences, Saiyan pronounced as "Say-in" rather than "Sigh-in" for example, but I'm sure you knew that, the dub is as close to perfect as we've ever gotten. Not just in translation either. The actors are FAR better than when they started out. Plus, the show, minus the Buu saga, isn't cropped, or remastered poorly like the DBZ Blu-Rays, which I can't believe you actually picked up. They actually went back to the original masters & touched up the footage really well & what they couldn't readily touch up, they reanimated.
I can't believe you never checked it out. It's way more worth it to get the Kai Blu-Rays than the Z ones, believe me.
Agree with Scsigs, Kai is great! Faithful, well acted dub! And the Japanese version is in stereo and isn't muffled like on the Z releases! Now to ask my parents to Pre-Order Parts 1&2!
I just downloaded Recut after months of stalling (Since July 2016). Is finally time to sit back and watch! Wish me luck!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:14 am

The problem with Kai isn't that it keeps some filler...but that it removes either manga scenes (Old couple shot by the guys who would later shoot Majin Boo's puppy) or refer to filler that was cut (Chichi goes over to watch broadcast of Saiyan saga fight and faints...her being passed out is retained in one Kai scene, two oni remember Goku falling down to Hell). Also, the changes in actors for Kai's dub and afterwards, even if at least some of the replacements are for the better (like Freeza), means that there can never be voice consistency with...say..... GT and Resurrection 'F'/Super.

...ought of curiosity, since the first 17 episodes have Kei17's Original Broadcast Audio released on certain channels, have you considered using it for some of the Saiyan saga scenes which were from the manga but cut in Kai (and only for those scenes of course. The rest should be Kai's audio for both dubs)?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 am

Scsigs wrote: DBZ Kai is an absolute delight. Even though it has SOME filler, the emphasis to indicate very little because of what they didn't cut out either because of the animation itself, or stuff they left in for whatever reason, it's considerably cut down from the original version of Z.
Thanks for the suggestion! I've kept away from Kai because I heard that it was a victim of rampant censorship. Blue Mr Popos, no blood, etc. Now, censorship doesn't necessarily bother me, however, if I can see something that represents the creator's original vision, then I'd prefer that. It sounds like Kai might be worth checking out, though.

As for actually buying the Z Blu rays; I've just always wanted to own some kind of physical version of Z. I watched it religiously on TV as a kid and I love collecting nostalgic crap like that from my childhood. :)

Thanks for your input, I'll check out a few episodes of Kai and see how I go.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:01 am

Muntz wrote:I've kept away from Kai because I heard that it was a victim of rampant censorship. Blue Mr Popos, no blood, etc.
That only occurred for the US broadcast on children's TV. The uncut version of Kai available on DVD and Blu-Ray still has blood and black Mr. Popo. (There's a few minor instances of things being toned down. Instances of flipping the bird being removed, the death of Goku and Raditz having the excessive blood removed. But overall, it's a solid experience.)

Muntz

Post by Muntz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Muntz wrote:I've kept away from Kai because I heard that it was a victim of rampant censorship. Blue Mr Popos, no blood, etc.
That only occurred for the US broadcast on children's TV. The uncut version of Kai available on DVD and Blu-Ray still has blood and black Mr. Popo. (There's a few minor instances of things being toned down. Instances of flipping the bird being removed, the death of Goku and Raditz having the excessive blood removed. But overall, it's a solid experience.)
Ah, that's good to know! I'll definitely look into it! Thanks!

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 pm

EDIT:Well, I'm stupid
Last edited by simtek34 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 pm

simtek34 wrote:Are you gonna (Hopefuly) use the TFS version of the Cell Game Reenacement in DBZ and Kai Recut?
Seeing as Recut's purpose is to remove as much filler as possible, I imagine that scene would be cut altogether.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 pm

simtek34 wrote:Are you gonna (Hopefully) use the TFS version of the Cell Game Reenactment in DBZ and Kai Recut?
Was it in the manga?

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:
simtek34 wrote:Are you gonna (Hopefully) use the TFS version of the Cell Game Reenactment in DBZ and Kai Recut?
Was it in the manga?
No.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Was it in the manga?
No.
Even if it was in the manga, I'm pretty sure the Old Z dub would have been used for both DBZ and Kai Recut (assuming the old version is used for the Kai Blu-Rays instead of the TFS version) due to paradoxically being more faithful to the original than Kai's version was.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Was it in the manga?
No.
Even if it was in the manga, I'm pretty sure the Old Z dub would have been used for both DBZ and Kai Recut (assuming the old version is used for the Kai Blu-Rays instead of the TFS version) due to paradoxically being more faithful to the original than Kai's version was.
Kai didn't even use the TFS version, thankfully.