Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:25 pm

simtek34 wrote:Are you gonna (Hopefuly) use the TFS version of the Cell Game Reenacement in DBZ and Kai Recut?
How stupid of me. It's filler. I forgot

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Fizzer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 am

How many episodes do you expect DBZ to come to? I remember once seeing an episode-by-episode summary of what a manga-faithful Dragon Ball anime might look like, was that yours?

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Fizzer wrote:How many episodes do you expect DBZ to come to? I remember once seeing an episode-by-episode summary of what a manga-faithful Dragon Ball anime might look like, was that yours?
That summary sounds interesting, do you know where to find it?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:08 am

Hah, welp this is fun. Middle of last year I started a project that I call Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters (I abbreviate it to T1C). It's incredibly similar to this one in that the idea is to take the original Dragon Ball anime and edit out the filler, the idea being that you can watch T1C and then go right on to DBZKai and not miss a beat.

There is one major difference in my attempt though, in that I'm only concentrating on the English dub. Aside from the fact that I cannot speak Japanese, the English dub is the one I'm the most emotionally attached to in the first place (as well as its names, please don't shoot me!). This means that I do make some extra little edits for things specific to the dub, such as removing the voices in the montage of Goku and Upa returning to Korin Tower, or King Piccolo mentioning that he's traveled "all over the universe".

I'm taking a little break on the project to play through Horizon: Zero Dawn, but so far I've edited up to the first episode of the Piccolo Jr. saga, Changes. In my edit it's episode 87, so I've removed 46 episodes so far, which I think is pretty good! I am wondering if it would be prudent to create its own thread so I can go more in-depth in talking about it.

Also, this is my first time entering the Dragon Ball community! Hello everyone! :wave:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:Hah, welp this is fun. Middle of last year I started a project that I call Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters (I abbreviate it to T1C). It's incredibly similar to this one in that the idea is to take the original Dragon Ball anime and edit out the filler, the idea being that you can watch T1C and then go right on to DBZKai and not miss a beat.

There is one major difference in my attempt though, in that I'm only concentrating on the English dub. Aside from the fact that I cannot speak Japanese, the English dub is the one I'm the most emotionally attached to in the first place (as well as its names, please don't shoot me!). This means that I do make some extra little edits for things specific to the dub, such as removing the voices in the montage of Goku and Upa returning to Korin Tower, or King Piccolo mentioning that he's traveled "all over the universe".

I'm taking a little break on the project to play through Horizon: Zero Dawn, but so far I've edited up to the first episode of the Piccolo Jr. saga, Changes. In my edit it's episode 87, so I've removed 46 episodes so far, which I think is pretty good! I am wondering if it would be prudent to create its own thread so I can go more in-depth in talking about it.

Also, this is my first time entering the Dragon Ball community! Hello everyone! :wave:
Cool! When you are done, could you PM me it?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:Hah, welp this is fun. Middle of last year I started a project that I call Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters (I abbreviate it to T1C). It's incredibly similar to this one in that the idea is to take the original Dragon Ball anime and edit out the filler, the idea being that you can watch T1C and then go right on to DBZKai and not miss a beat.

Welcome to the forum! :wave: To answer your question, yes that should be enough to warrant its own thread as seen with smaller fan-work getting their own threads.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:58 am

simtek34 wrote:Cool! When you are done, could you PM me it?
I'm still trying to figure out if and how I would distribute it. For the moment it's something I'm making purely for me, because I tried doing a "manual" version where I just skipped past the filler episodes, but that got really hard to manage. There are other reasons why I decided to make it, which I'll talk about in the thread.
Helios518 wrote:Welcome to the forum! :wave: To answer your question, yes that should be enough to warrant its own thread as seen with smaller fan-work getting their own threads.
Guess I'll do that, then!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm

The DBZ recut is very interesting, as I never watched Japanese Kai because I heard bad things about it, but a cut of the OG Japanese DBZ with Kikuchi's music sounds awesome and something I would totally watch. It would also look much better than Kai because of those badly colored shots and that ugly green tint of Buu arc.
How much do you think it will take for you to complete it?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:34 pm

This "Recut" is superb! I can't remember the last time I had such fun watching Dragon Ball. Now that it's condensed and paced better, it's so much easier to pass onto friends and turn more people onto Dragon Ball/Z.

Thanks so much, IAmTheMilkMan for this amazing release. I hope you'll do Z. It would be such a treat to watch Z with the original voice acting and Kikuchi score. It would probably the most perfect version of Z ever!

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for this!! After several attempts years ago to watch the original anime (with too much real life stuff always getting in the way), this 'Recut' finally motivated me to sit down, watch, and see where it all began last year. I very much appreciate all of the time that you've put into this, IAmTheMilkMan, and I look forward to seeing your 'Recut' of the Z series one day if you're ever able to complete it. Amazing job with this edit!

game4brains

Post by game4brains » Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 pm

Something I'm curious about is where you plan on getting footage for certain parts of Z and Kai:

In the case of Z, do you plan on using footage from the Level Sets for the episodes that they covered, or will you just be using the Dragon Boxes for the whole series? I ask because the picture quality of the Level Sets is considered to be arguably better than the Dragon Boxes (though your mileage may vary on that) and is the only way to watch those episodes in 4:3 1080p. The BDs that Funimation released after the Level Sets were cancelled are pretty good picture-wise, but are cropped to 16:9; it's basically the Orange Bricks' techniques done right and the picture quality isn't too bad, though it looks kinda bleached compared to the Level Sets and Dragon Boxes, not to mention how the cropping could turn off purists.

As for Kai, do you plan on using The Final Chapters, the DBZ BDs, or the Dragon Boxes to get footage for the Buu saga? The Dragon Boxes would allow for the whole recut to be consistently in 4:3, though the resolution will take a dip from 1080p to 720p, the DBZ BDs basically offer the picture quality of The Final Chapters as it would appear without the garish green tint but is locked in 16:9, and The Final Chapters would be easier to edit, at the cost of having the worst picture quality out of the three (16:9 and ugly green tinting).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 am

game4brains wrote:Something I'm curious about is where you plan on getting footage for certain parts of Z and Kai:

In the case of Z, do you plan on using footage from the Level Sets for the episodes that they covered, or will you just be using the Dragon Boxes for the whole series? I ask because the picture quality of the Level Sets is considered to be arguably better than the Dragon Boxes (though your mileage may vary on that) and is the only way to watch those episodes in 4:3 1080p. The BDs that Funimation released after the Level Sets were cancelled are pretty good picture-wise, but are cropped to 16:9; it's basically the Orange Bricks' techniques done right and the picture quality isn't too bad, though it looks kinda bleached compared to the Level Sets and Dragon Boxes, not to mention how the cropping could turn off purists.

As for Kai, do you plan on using The Final Chapters, the DBZ BDs, or the Dragon Boxes to get footage for the Buu saga? The Dragon Boxes would allow for the whole recut to be consistently in 4:3, though the resolution will take a dip from 1080p to 720p, the DBZ BDs basically offer the picture quality of The Final Chapters as it would appear without the garish green tint but is locked in 16:9, and The Final Chapters would be easier to edit, at the cost of having the worst picture quality out of the three (16:9 and ugly green tinting).
Pretty sure he's using the Dragon Boxes for Z & the regular Blu-Rays for Kai. If he was gonna mark the redone Z episodes as redone Kai episodes, only with different music sourced from the Kai Blu-Ray, what would be the point?
Also, you actually think the Z Blu-Rays are good! Ha! No they aren't.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

game4brains

Post by game4brains » Sat May 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: Pretty sure he's using the Dragon Boxes for Z & the regular Blu-Rays for Kai. If he was gonna mark the redone Z episodes as redone Kai episodes, only with different music sourced from the Kai Blu-Ray, what would be the point?
Well you do make a good point in regards to the footage. It's a bit of a shame though that the only Kai footage out there for the Buu arc has to be cropped and given an ugly green tint, but at least it's not Orange Brick levels of bad.

Also, while I don't think that the Z Blu-rays live up to the standards set by the Dragon Boxes or the Level Sets by any stretch of the animation, their quality is passable, especially compared to some of the other releases Z has seen over the years (coughcoughSeasonSetDVDs). Yeah, it suffers from 16:9 cropping and color bleaching similarly to the Orange Bricks, but at the same time they're not an outright terrible release; if anything, I'd regard the Z BDs as mediocre.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 pm

game4brains wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Pretty sure he's using the Dragon Boxes for Z & the regular Blu-Rays for Kai. If he was gonna mark the redone Z episodes as redone Kai episodes, only with different music sourced from the Kai Blu-Ray, what would be the point?
Well you do make a good point in regards to the footage. It's a bit of a shame though that the only Kai footage out there for the Buu arc has to be cropped and given an ugly green tint, but at least it's not Orange Brick levels of bad.

Also, while I don't think that the Z Blu-rays live up to the standards set by the Dragon Boxes or the Level Sets by any stretch of the animation, their quality is passable, especially compared to some of the other releases Z has seen over the years (coughcoughSeasonSetDVDs). Yeah, it suffers from 16:9 cropping and color bleaching similarly to the Orange Bricks, but at the same time they're not an outright terrible release; if anything, I'd regard the Z BDs as mediocre.
They're a slight improvement from the Orange Bricks, but I'd still rather use them as kindling for a bonfire before I'd actually watch them. The colors are so bleached that they make my eyes hurt, that's how bad they are.

game4brains

Post by game4brains » Sun May 07, 2017 2:49 am

Scsigs wrote: They're a slight improvement from the Orange Bricks, but I'd still rather use them as kindling for a bonfire before I'd actually watch them. The colors are so bleached that they make my eyes hurt, that's how bad they are.
Yeah the color bleaching does look pretty garish a lot of the time; while the BDs are passable in my opinion, I would've preferred it if the colors were at least more in-line with either the Dragon Boxes or the original cels (which look considerably less saturated color-wise than the Dragon Boxes, believe it or not; you can see a comparison at http://worlddbz.blog44.fc2.com/blog-entry-47.html). If anything, it makes me clamor for Toei to either continue the Level Sets on their own or make a BD variant of the Dragon Boxes so that Funimation could license them for a US release, but I'm not sure if that would be likely.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 am

Now that a certain public tracker is gone, has anyone uploaded the DB recut anywhere else, or know if a place where it has been? If so, could they pm me?

Zacharybinx34

Post by Zacharybinx34 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello,
I can't find a link to download Dragon Ball Recut anywhere, and I am typically pretty good at finding stuff like this :(

Also, how is the recut of either DBZ Kai or DBZ going? Any idea when one of them might be done and ready?

Thanks!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Zacharybinx34 wrote:Hello,
I can't find a link to download Dragon Ball Recut anywhere, and I am typically pretty good at finding stuff like this :(

Also, how is the recut of either DBZ Kai or DBZ going? Any idea when one of them might be done and ready?

Thanks!
At best, the recut's gonna be done after the final Kai TFC sets are out so he can source the dialogue from the dub, since it's a great dub. At worst, it's most likely coming later than that.

Zacharybinx34

Post by Zacharybinx34 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Zacharybinx34 wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
At best, the recut's gonna be done after the final Kai TFC sets are out so he can source the dialogue from the dub, since it's a great dub. At worst, it's most likely coming later than that.
What about the recut for DBZ?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue May 09, 2017 12:19 am

I suppose it's time for an update:

First things first, a piracy website appears to be gone for good, unfortunately, and that was my primary method of sharing this thing. I'll try to figure something else out eventually, but for now you'll just have to ask me really nicely if you'd like to see it.

Kai Recut is coming along nicely and I'm working on it regularly, but as I said before, the score replacement is really slowing me down. However, I've got a better handle on it now and things are going much more smoothly than they were. Once I'm done with the first 98, I'm going to go back to the beginning, do some revisions, and then probably start rolling the episodes out in arcs.

I'm getting very excited the more I work on this. What began as a simple remove-what-filler-is-left project has turned into it's own thing entirely. I'm really trying to make it a better product than the original Kai by re-inserting uncensored footage, attempting to remedy odd cuts whenever possible, and fixing any dub/sub mistakes that I find, not to mention hewing even more closely to the manga. By cutting out the remaining filler, I think it actually significantly changes how a couple of characters come across in the anime, namely Chi-Chi and Vegeta. I'm excited for other people to see it.

Once I hit the Buu saga, I'll be using the Final Chapters blu-rays as my video source and I'll remove the green tint manually, which doesn't sound particularly difficult. Eventually, I might create a 4:3 version using Dragon Box footage.

As for Z Recut, I'm still waiting on a couple of key elements that I would like to have before I really begin work on it (I want to do this thing right). Not only that, but I'll likely finish up Kai before really diving into it. However, after having gone through Kai, I'll be pretty familiar with what needs to be done so, hopefully, it will be a relatively simple process. I'll be using Dragon Box footage initially, but will probably create an HD version as well using Kai/Level set footage.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere