General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Would anyone be interested in giving me some feedback on my idea for a villain OC?

Basically the idea is that Goku uses the Super Dragonballs to wish for an ultimate opponent to fight, that would will challenge him like no one he's ever fought before. The resulting being is not very intimidating looking (I'm thinking a short green guy, still working out the details) and doesn't speak at all... it's a berserker, much like Kid Buu. At first, Goku is able to easily knock him out with one blow in base form, but he keeps getting up and coming back for more. An observer (Whis perhaps) notes that the creature is not only continually improving in speed, power, and skill, but his rate of improvement is itself accelerating. He's not only able to copy Goku's moves and techniques, but quickly improve on them. He even masters Ultra Instinct after seeing it for only a few minutes.

This creature can't be reasoned with and kills anyone who gets in his way, but is also clever (doing things like destroying the Super Dragonballs so they can't be used to wish him away, and breaking Whis' staff right before he's about to rewind time).

I don't have a name for him yet though.
I think making him a Kid Boo copy is a mistake but you are on the right track. I think the proper way to go is a Meeseeks type approach. Basically, the guy is made for the express purpose of giving Goku a good challenge but it takes him a while to make that happen. As he gradually gets stronger and stronger, he overcomes Goku and has to wait for his whole point for existing to catch up... until Goku can't do it as fast as he likes. Like Mister Meeseeks, the boredom of having nothing to challenge or fullfil him starts getting to the guy, especially since he can't find joy in anything besides fighting. So, when he realizes Goku can't stack up, he goes after the other strong mortals, then the GoDs and pretty soon he becomes a total menace to society who's overly simple creation/point of existence, back fires spectacularly.

A lot of Goku's most interesting opponents are kind of dark reflections of him. Cell is Goku if he murdered people to goad strong opponents into showing up. Beerus is Goku if he got so much more powerful than everyone he's long since gotten horribly bored. This could be a reflection of Goku who's been completely consumed by the desire to find a strong opponent.
Those are some interesting ideas. Any chance you could help me with a name, though?
Riowa, a rearranging of the word Owari that means the end. Toriyama mixed letters around to make new names and not all are based food.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:22 am

Anyone here have any interest in reading or even giving me feedback for the re-write I'm working on of the Tournament of Power?

The general gist is I plan to make the fighting a bit more serious, savage, and sensible. If a fighter has the chance to knock an opponent out, they're going to take it. None of this playing around, half-assed crap. And no more concentrating on just a few characters and throwing out or simply forgetting about the other characters. Eliminations are probably going to happen faster, but the characters that survive to the end aren't just going to be characters no one's seen or heard anything from until the end, the characters that last will have earned it. The tournament rules are a little different, amended to allow flight, but immediate elimination upon losing consciousness or leaving the arena. Killing is still forbidden, but the consequence, rather than simply disqualification is immediate erasure, so even if your universe wins, you're erased, gone for good.

I'm still working on the first chapter, but I expect things to veer radically different from how the tournament is depicted in the show. I'd be happy to hear feedback on what anyone thinks needs improvement! I've got a thread up for it linked in my signature in case anyone is interested.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

undertakerlargestfan

Post by undertakerlargestfan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 am

VegettoEX wrote:
undertakerlargestfan wrote:It's not illegal as long as I use the fair use copyright term. Also it does relate to DRAGON BALL fanfiction as I was able to publish my fan manga and was trying to sell it with a discount before it gets distributed to barnes and nobles and amazon.
This is a gross, completely incorrect understanding of "fair use" and is yet another everyday example of the full-scale education that general fandoms need.

Something isn't "fair use" just because you say it is. You gain no magical legal power from invoking the phrase "fair use". The "fair use" fairy does not live in your fanfic or video description, channeling the power of ancient gods to smite the Content ID gnomes.

In the United States, "fair use" is not a right. It is a defense. It is a series of suggested guidelines you can use as a defense in an actual court of law. It's not a protection so you can upload music to YouTube, and it's not a protection so you can use the characters and universe of someone else's intellectual property in your own stories.

I wrote about this previously. Please read it.

Regarding international fanfiction and doujinshi, specifically in Japan: it's still illegal, but widely ignored due to the obvious benefits and talent cultivation it provides. The was indeed a major example of a doujinshi using the actual title of the series and positioning itself as a continuation/ending and having legal action taken against it, with somewhat-chilling effects felt throughout the rest of the doujinshi community thereafter.

Furthermore, writing about a subject matter is entirely different from actually writing a fictional story set in that universe with those characters.
1. You didn't have to call my example "gross" could've just said "incorrect" and i wouldn't have had an issue

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 am

I kind of wanna do a version of ToP where Zeno joins in on the Spirit Bomb action because it looks really cool for them causing Goku to kill Jiren by accident and getting disqualified.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am

"Gross" in this case does not mean "icky"; it means exaggerated and out-of-control. That a basic understanding about copyright and intellectual property is so nonexistent in so many fandoms is a huge problem! Your "I say this is fair use so it is" alongside the previous thread I linked where someone thought next-episode-previews were somehow Creative Commons-licensed exemplifies the enormous disconnect between fans, the franchises they're so in love with, and what they think is true in a legal sense.

Independent of this, yes, I think there's a huge problem with domestic (read: America) copyright law and I think there are huge corporate over-extensions of rights in Japan.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I kind of wanna do a version of ToP where Zeno joins in on the Spirit Bomb action because it looks really cool for them causing Goku to kill Jiren by accident and getting disqualified.
I remember back when the RoF movie was announced and it was revealed that Freeza would train for four months to get up to god level, I wanted to do a parody fic of the movie where he would train for four months, but still get curbstomped by the Saiyans, who have been training for almost two decades and have unlocked several new transformations. Back then the idea of Freeza getting so powerful so quickly was absurd to me. It still is, to a degree, but I've come to accept it for the most part. Besides, it's still nowhere near as messed up as Kale no-selling a God Kamehameha. Ugh. That still irks me.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 pm

The first chapter of my fanfic ToP re-write is complete if anyone wants to read it in full and give feedback. I'll be working on getting the second episode up within the next couple of days! Cheers!

EDIT: Now the question becomes... do I want to move forward with a big universe erasure so quickly after the start of the tournament like the anime did, and simply execute it differently? Or do I want to move in a completely new direction of my own? There are plot beats from the show that I do want to keep (Roshi's awesome moments, for example), but don't know that I want to set the tone of the tournament with an almost immediate universe erasure. I'll have to think for a bit...
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Do we have anything official about when Gero created each android? And when he made himself into an android? Making a backstory for them and wanted to see if I'm reconnoitring anything.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Does anyone feel like they're stuck in a loop where they really wanna dig into fixing Super's BS but because Super itself isn't over, you're constantly holding back to see what new development may arise to incorporate?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone feel like they're stuck in a loop where they really wanna dig into fixing Super's BS but because Super itself isn't over, you're constantly holding back to see what new development may arise to incorporate?
Nope. I too busy digging into the BS I've already created :D

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone feel like they're stuck in a loop where they really wanna dig into fixing Super's BS but because Super itself isn't over, you're constantly holding back to see what new development may arise to incorporate?
No such thing in fanfiction ;)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
You mean you've never written aplot point or scene that later makes you think "OH, I COULDA DONE DAT! Faaaac-"

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Nope. I too busy digging into the BS I've already created :D
You mean you've never written aplot point or scene that later makes you think "OH, I COULDA DONE DAT! Faaaac-"
That's exactly my problem, I keep getting the urge to un-screw up Super but it's still on going meaning they might actually have a clever idea or two down the line I can't use if I start prematurely.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:That's exactly my problem, I keep getting the urge to un-screw up Super but it's still on going meaning they might actually have a clever idea or two down the line I can't use if I start prematurely.
Same here. I wanted to rewrite the Black arc as the end-all be-all of the series, but then comes the ToP, which is actually a neat idea (that has already been butchered) and I'm left wondering "well, shit, these two arcs work both well as the finale."

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:That's exactly my problem, I keep getting the urge to un-screw up Super but it's still on going meaning they might actually have a clever idea or two down the line I can't use if I start prematurely.
Same here. I wanted to rewrite the Black arc as the end-all be-all of the series, but then comes the ToP, which is actually a neat idea (that has already been butchered) and I'm left wondering "well, shit, these two arcs work both well as the finale."
Meh, I think the TOP could work as leading into the Zamasu arc. Especially if you play on the 'Goku as the villain' angle, which further expands Zamasu's reasons for picking Goku specifically. Could maybe even cause conflict with Future Trunks. You know, conflict between characters that isn't just "Look, the plot's too short, so to pad it out I'm gonna fuck everything up!"

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Like Kanassa said, ToPs a pretty perfect lead into the Zamasu arc. You can easily handwave the 4 universes exempt from the ToP as simply achieving such peace and advancement they don't need mega powerful mortals to keep the peace like U11 does.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Like Kanassa said, ToPs a pretty perfect lead into the Zamasu arc. You can easily handwave the 4 universes exempt from the ToP as simply achieving such peace and advancement they don't need mega powerful mortals to keep the peace like U11 does.
Yeah, I agree, but I have this thing where I like to introduce relevant characters really fuckin' early, as in, multiple arcs before they actually become relevant to the plot, just so they have the maximum amount of characterization possible for you to understand their motives. So, introducing Zamasu in the ToP wouldn't feel right to me, and introducing him earlier than that would feel a bit forced if he's not gonna be doing anything.

But those are just my writing habits :P

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Like Kanassa said, ToPs a pretty perfect lead into the Zamasu arc. You can easily handwave the 4 universes exempt from the ToP as simply achieving such peace and advancement they don't need mega powerful mortals to keep the peace like U11 does.
Yeah, I agree, but I have this thing where I like to introduce relevant characters really fuckin' early, as in, multiple arcs before they actually become relevant to the plot, just so they have the maximum amount of characterization possible for you to understand their motives. So, introducing Zamasu in the ToP wouldn't feel right to me, and introducing him earlier than that would feel a bit forced if he's not gonna be doing anything.

But those are just my writing habits :P
If he's not doing anything, make it so he has the opportunity to do something. You're the writer, you can do that ;D

Kanassa wrote:

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:09 am

Nah, my fic isn't going past Z... although I do plan to make sure that one thing that happens in Super has no chance of happening in my fic's continuity.

I did consider doing my own version of the Black arc as the conclusion to my fic, back when we first heard about an "evil Goku", but since then the Black arc actually happened, and I have no idea how to make it fit what I originally had in mind.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 am

How do you guys decide when to write a scene as a flashback and when to have another character describe it to someone else instead, leaving the minor details of what happened up to the reader's interpretation?

On that note, how would you even format a flashback in the middle of a chapter? Would you add scene breaks and then write the whole flashback in italics? The way I write is basically free-flowing, for lack of a better term. I don't caption a scene by writing the location, date, or anything of the sort at the very start of the scene, as I've seen other writers do. I include this information through either dialogue or exposition. So it makes me wonder about how I'd transition to writing a flashback should I ever decide to do so.