General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:38 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:How do you guys decide when to write a scene as a flashback and when to have another character describe it to someone else instead, leaving the minor details of what happened up to the reader's interpretation?
Depends on if the scene is one that gains anything from fully describing it instead of having another character describe it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 pm

It's taken me way longer to finish the second chapter than I intended, but I'm just about done with it. Should be complete in a couple hours. Universe 6 has some line-up changes with the two namekians being replaced with one (with a new name and design) and a completely original character from U6's restored Earth (a human)!
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am

Does anyone know if SSJRage grants god-ki to the user?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 am

Helios518 wrote:Does anyone know if SSJRage grants god-ki to the user?
The only implication that Trunks gets God Ki through it is the blue outline, out side of that we can just assume it's a really powerful form.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 am

I currently have many ideas for a Dragon Ball-related fanfiction (which would be a completely different "what if" retelling of the story), but I'm not sure if I would be able to properly do it T_T

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm

hunduel wrote:I currently have many ideas for a Dragon Ball-related fanfiction (which would be a completely different "what if" retelling of the story), but I'm not sure if I would be able to properly do it T_T
I once thought like that. For years I'd been thinking about writing a fanfic which depicts a Boo arc where Goku survived the Cell Games. I'd planned out the beginning, middle, end, and pretty much most of the major parts of the story in my head. But I never thought it'd actually get written, because I doubted 'd have the time or motivation to write a story of that magnitude. But one day something clicked inside me and I thought, "Fuck it, might as well give it a shot."

It's been almost two full years since then, and my fic is sitting at 140k words and 12 chapters, and isn't even close to being done. Considering the fact that I never thought I'd ever write a story anywhere near 100k words long, I think that's quite a personal accomplishment.

Anyway, if you're really keen on writing this fanfiction of yours, then it's worth a shot. Even if you think you can't do it properly, it can't hurt to try. If you're unsure of how to start but have a bunch of ideas, then I suggest coming up with the beginning and ending for your story, and maybe a few major plot points, then filling in all the details.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:10 pm

hunduel wrote:I currently have many ideas for a Dragon Ball-related fanfiction (which would be a completely different "what if" retelling of the story), but I'm not sure if I would be able to properly do it T_T
The best advice I can give: Try! You might just surprise yourself.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Ppffft, you think a writer's job is to do it right? Fuck no. A writers job is to see how much they've fucked it up, and maybe move an inch to make it look like you're progressing; because when you get it right, it's all over. :D

Kanassa wrote:

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:I once thought like that. For years I'd been thinking about writing a fanfic which depicts a Boo arc where Goku survived the Cell Games. I'd planned out the beginning, middle, end, and pretty much most of the major parts of the story in my head. But I never thought it'd actually get written, because I doubted 'd have the time or motivation to write a story of that magnitude. But one day something clicked inside me and I thought, "Fuck it, might as well give it a shot."

It's been almost two full years since then, and my fic is sitting at 140k words and 12 chapters, and isn't even close to being done. Considering the fact that I never thought I'd ever write a story anywhere near 100k words long, I think that's quite a personal accomplishment.

Anyway, if you're really keen on writing this fanfiction of yours, then it's worth a shot. Even if you think you can't do it properly, it can't hurt to try. If you're unsure of how to start but have a bunch of ideas, then I suggest coming up with the beginning and ending for your story, and maybe a few major plot points, then filling in all the details.
Alruneia wrote:The best advice I can give: Try! You might just surprise yourself.
Kanassa wrote:Ppffft, you think a writer's job is to do it right? Fuck no. A writers job is to see how much they've fucked it up, and maybe move an inch to make it look like you're progressing; because when you get it right, it's all over. :D
Thank you everyone for the support. It is really appreciated to be completely honest, especially since I'm still not sure what to do with the story I have in my mind. I somewhat have the beginning of it and the whole principle (and goal) of this whole project, and I somewhat have an ending (or at least an ending point) for it, however, I'm not sure about the execution. Not because I lack the overall plot points, but also because I'm not sure if fan fiction is the way I want to "play it out". In fact, I was thinking about doing a role-playing in this what if setting with some of my pals, but I'm unsure about that for completely different reasons, as I'm unsure if it would do justice for that setting I've dreamed out. (Also not sure if I could find enough players, but that's kind of a different story.)

The whole principle of the story is a what if scenario starting from the original Dragon Ball, with changing some of the characters just a tiny bit and also making the cast a bit more varied, and having more recurring characters with bigger impact, with less power creep. You have everything from a more fighting-spirited Bulma, Tao Pai Pai as a recurring villain, two additional Schools that would make the Budokai Tenkaichi tournaments more "diverse", more saiyans (yet still relevant Humans), a much more intense race for the Dragon Balls on Namek with more sides racing with each other (Z Warriors vs Vegeta & Nappa vs Turles' Crusher Corps vs Frieza's Army vs Cooler's Squadron), and so on. Most of these plot point may change in the future as I'd progress, but you'd have an overall feeling of how different would it be.

Also, English is not my native language, so writing a fanfiction in it would make a great practice, may result in a not-so-great story. Probably. I don't know. >_>

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 pm

I don't know whether to write a legitimate, 'plausible' version of the ToP or just go balls to the wall crazy and bring back all the previous villains (which, with the exception of Freeza, would participate for other universes: Black for U10, maybe Quitela or Sidra revives Cell & co, etc), as well as future Trunks and Mr. Boo, and make a ridiculous WWE-style All Star tournament.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't know whether to write a legitimate, 'plausible' version of the ToP or just go balls to the wall crazy and bring back all the previous villains (which, with the exception of Freeza, would participate for other universes: Black for U10, maybe Quitela or Sidra revives Cell & co, etc), as well as future Trunks and Mr. Boo, and make a ridiculous WWE-style All Star tournament.
Make it bonkers as all hell, I'd respect Super a lot more if it just went in that direction and gave up on any "No guys! Were a good series! Honest!" pretenses.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't know whether to write a legitimate, 'plausible' version of the ToP or just go balls to the wall crazy and bring back all the previous villains (which, with the exception of Freeza, would participate for other universes: Black for U10, maybe Quitela or Sidra revives Cell & co, etc), as well as future Trunks and Mr. Boo, and make a ridiculous WWE-style All Star tournament.
The latter sounds a lot more memorable, but I'd honestly just suggest whichever you think you'd enjoy writing more.

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:56 am

I've had a working idea for a Tournament of Power rewrite where some of the other universes characters are used in a better light. The only problem is how crazy it is to plan out equal development for all of U7 and then the main players of the other universes. As it is, the first two outlines I ended up scrapping, hopefully the third time is the charm.

But, if I ever decide to write this thing, do I post it as an individual thread in the fan works or is there a specific fanfic section (kind of a dumb question. Just don't want to post in the wrong section)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:55 pm

potat_lasaro wrote:I've had a working idea for a Tournament of Power rewrite where some of the other universes characters are used in a better light. The only problem is how crazy it is to plan out equal development for all of U7 and then the main players of the other universes. As it is, the first two outlines I ended up scrapping, hopefully the third time is the charm.

But, if I ever decide to write this thing, do I post it as an individual thread in the fan works or is there a specific fanfic section (kind of a dumb question. Just don't want to post in the wrong section)
Thread in Fan-works with [Fanfiction] beside the title to make that clear to other users.

Kanassa wrote:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

I actually kind of got Yamoshi's story right. I will re-purpose my short story with the new lore Toriyama has dropped

Saiyans have always been a bloodlusted warrior race, who spent their days fighting internal death battles.
One day, some peaceful aliens arrived on Planet Sadala.
Thirsty of blood and challenges, the Saiyans saw this as an occasion to appease their blood lust instincts, which were driving their race to extinction because of their death games. They killed the aliens and stole their spaceship to attack their planet, which was rich and technologically advanced, and they stole every good they found, including their spaceships.
From that moment onwards, the Saiyans spent their days attacking planets, getting richer and richer.

This story happens around Year 238 Before Age

A group of 6 Saiyans realized what their race was doing was not right: they believed killing innocents was pointless and cruel. Lead by their leader Yamoshi, these righteous Saiyans tried to convince the other Saiyans to stop blindly following their King, but this resulted in a internal war starting.
The 6 righteous Saiyans were able to fend off the evil Saiyans, but more evil Saiyans kept coming. Overwhelmed, the righteous Saiyans died one after another. Seeing the death of his comrades in front of his eyes, Yamoshi transformed into a Super Saiyan and killed many evil Saiyans, but eventually he ran out of stamina and was crushed to death. His spirit remained intact, and the legend of the Super Saiyan spreaded on Sadala. Looking for this legendary power, the Saiyans became more violent and bloodlusted than ever. Eventually, Yamoshi found 6 righteous Saiyans and through his spirit they performed the ritual for the first time ever to create a Super Saiyan God. The conflict between the Super Saiyan God and the evil Saiyans resulted in the planet being destroyed in U7, where the King and part of the army were able to escape to Planet Plant where they rebuilt the Saiyan race.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 pm

I've been thinking about using a sort of cheat to get my writing done faster: write up the ending first. Not in a vague descriptive way, the actual ending, so instead of the thing feeling like this unreachable behemoth, it's a "tangible" thing that exists and now you just gotta make the start and middle parts to get to it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I've been thinking about using a sort of cheat to get my writing done faster: write up the ending first. Not in a vague descriptive way, the actual ending, so instead of the thing feeling like this unreachable behemoth, it's a "tangible" thing that exists and now you just gotta make the start and middle parts to get to it.
In my experience, that's a dangerous technique you're playing with right there. It can be effective, but it can also be a really good motivation killer, much like the "write the stuff you want to write first and the rest later" technique is. Use with care.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Alruneia wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I've been thinking about using a sort of cheat to get my writing done faster: write up the ending first. Not in a vague descriptive way, the actual ending, so instead of the thing feeling like this unreachable behemoth, it's a "tangible" thing that exists and now you just gotta make the start and middle parts to get to it.
In my experience, that's a dangerous technique you're playing with right there. It can be effective, but it can also be a really good motivation killer, much like the "write the stuff you want to write first and the rest later" technique is. Use with care.
Agreed, I mean, I already get annoyed that I'm not at the scenes I really want to write yet; so it motivates me to get on with the scenes before.... And then I get side tracked because I get more ideas and every scene grows bigger until I realize that the scenes I want to write are now over a few months worth of chapters away.

Seriously, 30 chapters in I originally planned to be at least near the end of the first arc of my four arc story, but I'm only around a quarter! And this is supposed to be the shortest arc! I'm gonna be growing grey hairs by the time I'm done with this story.

Kanassa wrote:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am

I've been thinking about doing my personal rewrite of Super that I've had in my head for a while. And I plan on doing it after the Universe Survival Arc ends. But, 1. I don't know where I should post it. Fanfiction.net or here? And, 2. I can't think of a name of it besides "Dragon Ball Super (Rewrite)". Can you guys help me out?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I've been thinking about doing my personal rewrite of Super that I've had in my head for a while. And I plan on doing it after the Universe Survival Arc ends. But, 1. I don't know where I should post it. Fanfiction.net or here?
You can post it on both. And on title, it depends on how you go about rewriting the series. Will you have a linking theme you can get a title from or somthing?

Kanassa wrote: