General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Hello, writers and readers of Kanzenshuu!

We talked about it in the Non-thread-worthy discussions thread, and I think that this is definitely thread-worthy. A general fan fiction thread! This thread is for pretty much everything related to Dragon Ball fan fiction - discussions about how to write good fan fiction, suggestions for Dragon Ball fan fiction you feel like other people should check out, asking for help with ideas for plots, posting pieces of your own work to get feedback without having to create a whole new thread for yourself... You name it! If it's Dragon Ball fan fiction, it's relevant!

I only ask for a couple of things:
  • Don't post your entire work in here, please! If it's large, say over 2000 words, it probably deserves its own thread.
  • Let's try keeping it to written fan fiction when it comes to showing off your own work. Fan comics and videos usually deserve their own threads. Asking for advice for comics/videos should be fine, though!
  • Any writer knows that good feedback is constructive, not destructive. Please be nice to people who post their own work in here.
Other than that: Enjoy!
Last edited by Alruneia on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Beat me to it! All right, now time to force everyone to finally read my fanfic give any kind of help I can offer. :mrgreen:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:45 pm

When you say "keep it to written fan-fiction", you mean specifically posting it in this thread, right?

I think this would work just fine for asking advice, no matter what the format.
Retired.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:57 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:When you say "keep it to written fan-fiction", you mean specifically posting it in this thread, right?

I think this would work just fine for asking advice, no matter what the format.
Oh, yeah. Asking for advice would naturally be mostly in text format, while showing off your work would be almost all image, which is what I want to avoid. I'll edit the OP and try to be more specific.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Here's something I've been wondering about for a good while.

Let's say you have a cast of characters that's consistently been featured in your story, with the focus occasionally shifting between members. Would the cast suddenly shrinking to a couple or a few characters be excusable if it was reasonably explained, say, the others are abducted, killed, or placed out of commission?
MyAnimeList | AniList

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Here's something I've been wondering about for a good while.

Let's say you have a cast of characters that's consistently been featured in your story, with the focus occasionally shifting between members. Would the cast suddenly shrinking to a couple or a few characters be excusable if it was reasonably explained, say, the others are abducted, killed, or placed out of commission?
I'd say yes, unless they were obviously killed for sole purpose of focusing on the smaller cast. There at least needs to be the illusion of some other reason.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'd say yes, unless they were obviously killed for sole purpose of focusing on the smaller cast. There at least needs to be the illusion of some other reason.
I'd say in-universe, if there's other reasons behind it, but out-of-universe, it depends. :wink:
As you probably guessed, I may have plans for this, but it will only be a temporary scenario. The cast would return later.
MyAnimeList | AniList

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Here's a pretty simple one: to power level or not to power level :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:19 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Here's a pretty simple one: to power level or not to power level :P
Never power level...
Retired.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm

I expect a lot of fic plugging :D

And yes, moving to focus on a smaller group of characters is fine, but t's all in how you do it. It will feel off if you do it so suddenly, so it's best for this shift to happen gradually.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Here's a pretty simple one: to power level or not to power level :P
Depends on your circumstances. I just play it simple and tell people "Hey, this guy is stronger than this guy he's fighting because you can tell he has the upper hand here." I've never used power levels, probably never will, though you will see a few Scouters.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:29 pm

"Power levels" as a general concept are inextricably going to be part of any Dragon Ball story. The relative strengths of characters are what builds tension for combat situations. If you specifically meant numbers, then that depends on the characters and circumstances. If you're involving alien characters that would logically be using scouters, then it's perfectly reasonable and expected for a few numbers to be read off at some point.

I haven't plunked any actual number readings into GT Revised (yet), but I have involved scouter technology in other ways. Like the power-reading safeguard tech that Bulma built into the ship's Gravity Room, or both the GT Crew and Redgic suppressing themselves to hide from the helmet scouters of Don Kia's forces.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Kanassa wrote:I expect a lot of fic plugging :D
Hopefully. :lol:
Is your fanfic set in or around Frieza's army, or does it use scouters? If yes, sometimes power level. If no, never power level.
It's much better to have something like "Whoa, (s)he's as strong as <character>!" than something like "Whoa, (s)he has a power level of <number>!", since the latter only works when the person saying the line is checking a scouter, while the former doesn't need a scouter to work.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Alruneia wrote:Is your fanfic set in or around Frieza's army, or does it use scouters? If yes, sometimes power level. If no, never power level.
It's much better to have something like "Whoa, (s)he's as strong as <character>!" than something like "Whoa, (s)he has a power level of <number>!", since the latter only works when the person saying the line is checking a scouter, while the former doesn't need a scouter to work.
It's based around the fighters who were killed in FTs initial Android attack and training in the afterlife so no scouters. I mostly add them in writer's notes at the very end of a chapter, but as I near the Otherworld tournament, I keep racking my brain around "Well Piccolo's PL was probably here in the main canon but does that make sense here..." Basically, my PL junkiness is killing me :lol:
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:It's based around the fighters who were killed in FTs initial Android attack and training in the afterlife so no scouters. I mostly add them in writer's notes at the very end of a chapter, but as I near the Otherworld tournament, I keep racking my brain around "Well Piccolo's PL was probably here in the main canon but does that make sense here..." Basically, my PL junkiness is killing me :lol:
Oh! Well, it's different when power levels are brought up as extra information instead of being mentioned within the story itself! When it's supplementary, you can write as many power levels (and as many random facts) as you want, as long as it doesn't contradict anything. Since you're the omniscient author, you have access to that kind of information. :P

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Kanassa wrote:I expect a lot of fic plugging :D
Hopefully. :lol:
Well, my plug is already in my siganature. Damn :D
ekrolo2 wrote: It's based around the fighters who were killed in FTs initial Android attack and training in the afterlife so no scouters. I mostly add them in writer's notes at the very end of a chapter, but as I near the Otherworld tournament, I keep racking my brain around "Well Piccolo's PL was probably here in the main canon but does that make sense here..." Basically, my PL junkiness is killing me :lol:
All you need to think is 'How strong do I want this character to be? And what in-universe reason can there be for them to be at that strength?' You're the writer, you can make up any reason to justify their power. Just don't start throwing numbers around.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:39 pm

(This isn't for "advice" per se, and I guess it doesn't apply only to fiction, but...)

Which do you guys generally prefer? Epic and dramatic build-up deaths, or deaths that are extremely sudden and unexpected?
Personally, I prefer the latter.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:(This isn't for "advice" per se, and I guess it doesn't apply only to fiction, but...)

Which do you guys generally prefer? Epic and dramatic build-up deaths, or deaths that are extremely sudden and unexpected?
Dramatic build-up, gives the character's a better chance of having a badass or sad send off.

Kanassa wrote:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm

I guess I should've specified for villains. Major or minor. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:(This isn't for "advice" per se, and I guess it doesn't apply only to fiction, but...)

Quick deaths are only effective when a character with a well-established connection to someone important dies totally unexpectedly. That being said, it has been pulled off before.

The build-up gives you looser criteria to create a meaningful death.
Anime Kitten wrote:I guess I should've specified for villains. Major or minor. :P
In the case of an antagonist, a quick death only works if it's part of a build-up to something greater.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Retired.