General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 pm

When you go to write a chapter, how do you go about it? Do you just write off the top of your head, do you have a vivid scene in mind, or do you have some sort of structure planned out?

Like, for the chapter I'm writing I have a structure in mind, an assortment of what needs to be established in the chapter.
  1. Chapter focuses around character's A & B
    A shows off their observation skills
    A hints at further backstory and foreshadows a later character's backstory
    A & B meet under simmilar goals
    A & B dislike each other
    Establish plot point that'll help A out later in the story
    The two are forced the work together due to similar circumstance
    Que bickering to build their clashing personalities
    B has a moment to establish character through a bizzar action
    New plot thread established
    Strange creature's attack
    Fight ends with B in A's debt due to danger
    B hints at their power in their escape from A
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Kanassa wrote:[spoiler]When you go to write a chapter, how do you go about it? Do you just write off the top of your head, do you have a vivid scene in mind, or do you have some sort of structure planned out?

Like, for the chapter I'm writing I have a structure in mind, an assortment of what needs to be established in the chapter.
    A & B dislike each other
[/spoiler]
I usually have an idea of how it's going to end, sometimes I wright an outline for the chapter, which I barely follow... I know what the big events are going to be like, then I think, wouldn't that be cooler, and how would that make sense?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

But what's inside the spoiler tag is usually how much planning and pre planing that go into my stories.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Kanassa wrote:When you go to write a chapter, how do you go about it? Do you just write off the top of your head, do you have a vivid scene in mind, or do you have some sort of structure planned out?

[spoiler]Like, for the chapter I'm writing I have a structure in mind, an assortment of what needs to be established in the chapter.
    A & B dislike each other
[/spoiler]
I start by writing the entire arc's summary. Then I look at my chapter list (there's 100 slots in total) and delegate a certain amount of chapters to the arc. That sets the pacing. Next, I start at the first chapter of the arc, setting up a list of ~10 paragraphs based on the summary from before. Then I write those paragraphs. That completes the chapter. I continue that way, and if at any point I decide to deviate from the original summary (which obviously happens, since time passes and my ideas evolve), I adjust the summary to fit.
Sometimes, though, I get inspired to make very specific scenes. Usually I write those down on my phone and paste them into the main document (with some editing so it fits) when I reach their placements.

To use an example: The summary for my current arc was written almost exactly one year ago. I gave the arc 28 chapters. Over the course of writing it, I've changed a lot of things, including the length, which has been cut down to 24 chapters for better pacing. I've also been holding onto a transformation scene for several months, and I'm only now about to reach its placement.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 am

I just have a stupidly retarded idea of having Sorbet's ring being incredibly important in my narrative. What do you think?

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 am

Gog wrote:I just have a stupidly retarded idea of having Sorbet's ring being incredibly important in my narrative. What do you think?
Well, it is an amazingly magical and strong device that defies all previously known logic, so may as well make something of it
My Dragonball Fanfiction: Dragonball Next

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:11 am

Starkiller_Ren wrote:
Gog wrote:I just have a stupidly retarded idea of having Sorbet's ring being incredibly important in my narrative. What do you think?
Well, it is an amazingly magical and strong device that defies all previously known logic, so may as well make something of it
Well I have an idea for it...

What did you think of my review of Dragon Ball Next and when are you going to update it?

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 am

Gog wrote:
Starkiller_Ren wrote:
Well I have an idea for it...

What did you think of my review of Dragon Ball Next and when are you going to update it?
I appreciated it, it's my first review and it was a positive one so it holds a special place in my heart lol. But my output may be uneven or sometimes slow with these things, as of now I'm trying to finish enough of my full outline of the entire story so that I'll be ahead enough that I don't catch up with writing the actual chapters. But it should be up soon

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Retcons, what do you think of retcons? Good, bad? Is it right to do them?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:18 am

Gog wrote:Retcons, what do you think of retcons? Good, bad? Is it right to do them?
Well, my story retcons a lot.... So, I can't be against them :D
Retcons are fine, as long as you have a good reason for them. Plus, it's less stupid for fanfiction to retcon something than the source material. Unless you're retconning your own material...

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 am

Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote:Retcons, what do you think of retcons? Good, bad? Is it right to do them?
Well, my story retcons a lot.... So, I can't be against them :D
Retcons are fine, as long as you have a good reason for them. Plus, it's less stupid for fanfiction to retcon something than the source material. Unless you're retconning your own material...
No, no, no I've only retconned a certain set of transformations :P ...

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Some random stuff related to deities:
  • I'm retaining the "Universe 12 was the first Universe to time travel" idea and having Chronoa as the Kaiōshin of that Universe.
  • I'll be reassigning some of the Kaiōshin and Hakaishin, as well as discarding some and designing my own to replace them.
  • The locations where the gods reside are called "Deity Realms", and correspond to each Universe (i.e. Seventh Deity Realm, Tenth Deity Realm, etc).
  • Zen'ō lives on Planet Zen. There, he "watches over" locations and people that have been banished from their respective Universes and sealed there (i.e. the Demon Realm).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 am

I've gotten satisfactorily far into my outline for Dragonball Next. I'm just having trouble moving to my next arc to outline, and I've been thinking of doing a bit of a time skip similar to the Cell Games-Buu Arc time skip, but the arc previously doesn't end with the sort of finality Cell does. Does it seem forgiveable to just go ahead and do it anyways?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 am

Starkiller_Ren wrote:I've gotten satisfactorily far into my outline for Dragonball Next. I'm just having trouble moving to my next arc to outline, and I've been thinking of doing a bit of a time skip similar to the Cell Games-Buu Arc time skip, but the arc previously doesn't end with the sort of finality Cell does. Does it seem forgiveable to just go ahead and do it anyways?
Depends, what is this time-skip just happening after? Is it a period for the character's to prepare, like the Saiyan arc or the Cell Games? DO the characters believe they're done, but the audience know different? Time Skips are perfectly fine, you just have to make sure the jumping off point isn't awkward.

Kanassa wrote:

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 am

Kanassa wrote:
Starkiller_Ren wrote:I've gotten satisfactorily far into my outline for Dragonball Next. I'm just having trouble moving to my next arc to outline, and I've been thinking of doing a bit of a time skip similar to the Cell Games-Buu Arc time skip, but the arc previously doesn't end with the sort of finality Cell does. Does it seem forgiveable to just go ahead and do it anyways?
Depends, what is this time-skip just happening after? Is it a period for the character's to prepare, like the Saiyan arc or the Cell Games? DO the characters believe they're done, but the audience know different? Time Skips are perfectly fine, you just have to make sure the jumping off point isn't awkward.
I'd say the second situation is fitting; they've reached an unexpected level of power, manage to defeat an ultra powerful enemy, and just don't expect the threat to escalate the way it does

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 am

Starkiller_Ren wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
I'd say the second situation is fitting; they've reached an unexpected level of power, manage to defeat an ultra powerful enemy, and just don't expect the threat to escalate the way it does
Seems like a good place to have a time skip

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Crap baskets, I forgot you can plug your Fics here.

The King and his Dream is my current fic, so before you start reading Coola's a slight, tad bit different from what he's in canon. But I swear it's not that big of a change. Anyway I would enjoy some constructive criticism. :D

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 am

writing combat isn't as easy as i hoped haha. Hopefully my third chapter will be posted tonight, then I'll take awroying break and I'll start reading everybody's fics and giving feedback now that I won't be constantly outlining stuff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:39 am

Starkiller_Ren wrote:writing combat isn't as easy as i hoped haha. Hopefully my third chapter will be posted tonight, then I'll take awroying break and I'll start reading everybody's fics and giving feedback now that I won't be constantly outlining stuff
Combat's hard to write interestingly There's only so many ways you type ''Punched him in the face' before it gets a tad repetitive.

I'd love feedback on my fic :D

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 am

Kanassa wrote: I'd love feedback on my fic :D
B-but Kanassa-Sempai have I not given you enough feed back!?!!?

Anyway I've been wondering how would you go around making O.C's? I'm worried that setting a story around an O.C might be problematic.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:11 am

Gog wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I'd love feedback on my fic :D
B-but Kanassa-Sempai have I not given you enough feed back!?!!?

Anyway I've been wondering how would you go around making O.C's? I'm worried that setting a story around an O.C might be problematic.
I can't just be tied down to one person's critisism, I have to be free to lend my ears to... Other people :D

An O.C in itself isn't problematic, it's just that you really have to make them interesting or any average reader will turn on. It's fanfiction, they're there to read about the established characters they like, and as much as no one likes to admit it we all have a subconscious bias against O.Cs, so we'll get easily judgemental. Things like multiverse subvert this by having an O.C disguised as an established character, meaning we've already decided whether we like the story or not before we realise we've been reading an O.C :D

All my O.C (All made in Xenoverse) character-wise were made with the story in-mind, from their purpose from a narrative perspective. Symbolically, some of the O.C are supposed to be dark parallels to other characters, so their design and personality take that into account. In the plot, I need one character to set off a plot point that will change the story later, so I make sure their personality adapts to that. I also take into account that I want to add ridiculous and humorous additions to the villains, while still making them intimidating. "Hey! This guy is a alien Michael Jackson impersonator who incorporates dance moves into all his attacks and speech... And he's also a shark man who wants to eat you. Fair trade"

Kanassa wrote: