General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Gog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Alruneia wrote: What do you guys find more interesting/fun/engaging/etc. to read; serious plot or more light-hearted plot?
Well it depends honestly, I like light-hearted stories, but I also like a serious plot. I do honestly prefer it when a story can do both at the same time.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Alruneia wrote:Yo, long time no post. I'm guessing people have other things to do this time of year.
I'm mainly writing this post to celebrate getting over a huge writer's block that's been holding me back all year. I finished a chapter today, and I'm probably going to finish another tomorrow, because of that. My story is about to hit an arc's climax, so with that and the story that comes afterwards in mind, I have a question:
What do you guys find more interesting/fun/engaging/etc. to read; serious plot or more light-hearted plot?
Just when I've finally gotten into the mood for writing after months of inactivity, I upgrade my crappy Australian internet to have unlimited downloads and the Steam Summer Sale comes along. Needless to say, I've been way too preoccupied playing all the kickass games I bought to even read fanfiction, let alone write it. On top of all that, the school holidays are on, giving me two weeks of freedom where I don't have to worry about teaching a bunch of rude, ungrateful, hormonal teenage brats... and I intend to take advantage of every second of it.

In regards to your question, I tend to prefer more light-hearted stories. I was never that big on drama, but I do appreciate a serious story if it's well written with a satisfying payoff. What I can't stand is over-the-top melodrama for the sake of there being melodrama, and angst that's so extreme it makes me sick.

I don't want to unfairly criticise another writer's work, especially if it's from a story I haven't read, but this summary from a fic on fanfiction.net perfectly encapsulates the kind of story that I would NEVER read:
[spoiler]Chi Chi dies horrifically, Gohan and Goten are separated. Gohan is raised in an abusive home until he contracts Leukemia. Contains explicit rape and abuse scenes[/spoiler]

My outlook towards books, films, and stories of any sort is that they have to be entertaining to me. And personally, I don't get much, if any enjoyment out of stories that purposely try and depress you.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Alruneia wrote:Yo, long time no post. I'm guessing people have other things to do this time of year.
I'm mainly writing this post to celebrate getting over a huge writer's block that's been holding me back all year. I finished a chapter today, and I'm probably going to finish another tomorrow, because of that. My story is about to hit an arc's climax, so with that and the story that comes afterwards in mind, I have a question:
What do you guys find more interesting/fun/engaging/etc. to read; serious plot or more light-hearted plot?
Good for you! Only 48 more chapters to go until you release the story to the public? :D

I'm light-hearted overall, but I much prefer for the two to be twisted together. Because,a s I see it, when done right they only enhance one another. I like to make my stories a mix of serious and fun, because the light hearted moments suck you into comfort (If good) that causes the serious moments to really hit you, and well done seriousness allows the light-hearted moments to be a good breath of fresh air after all the emotional shit drops.

Also, anyone else give their character's theme songs that you listen to whenever you write them? I always have ''Be a Dentist!" from Little Shop of Horrors blasting in my ear whenever I write my insane, bi-polar scientist character, Dr. Sludge.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote: I don't want to unfairly criticise another writer's work, especially if it's from a story I haven't read, but this summary from a fic on fanfiction.net perfectly encapsulates the kind of story that I would NEVER read:
[spoiler]Chi Chi dies horrifically, Gohan and Goten are separated. Gohan is raised in an abusive home until he contracts Leukemia. Contains explicit rape and abuse scenes[/spoiler]

My outlook towards books, films, and stories of any sort is that they have to be entertaining to me. And personally, I don't get much, if any enjoyment out of stories that purposely try and depress you.
That summery is just... Terrible. It doesn't matter what sort of story you are into, a summery needs to draw you in, it needs to cast a creative hook and make you want to see what happens. It shouldn't tell you a bullet point list of the story's plot in a bland and boring way with no 'color'. Also, I really don't like it when a fic advertises the emotional moments in the summery (Warning: Character death, feels and suicide). If you tell me going in that the character in this one-shot is gonna die, it's gonna take away any of the shock I have when he dies!

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:51 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:In regards to your question, I tend to prefer more light-hearted stories. I was never that big on drama, but I do appreciate a serious story if it's well written with a satisfying payoff. What I can't stand is over-the-top melodrama for the sake of there being melodrama, and angst that's so extreme it makes me sick.

I don't want to unfairly criticise another writer's work, especially if it's from a story I haven't read, but this summary from a fic on fanfiction.net perfectly encapsulates the kind of story that I would NEVER read:

The kind of story you put in the spoiler is much too dark and edgy for me, too. I don't need it to be darker than Future Trunks' backstory, and honestly I don't think my story ever gets as dark as that.
Kanassa wrote: Good for you! Only 48 more chapters to go until you release the story to the public? :D

I'm light-hearted overall, but I much prefer for the two to be twisted together. Because, as I see it, when done right they only enhance one another. I like to make my stories a mix of serious and fun, because the light hearted moments suck you into comfort (If good) that causes the serious moments to really hit you, and well done seriousness allows the light-hearted moments to be a good breath of fresh air after all the emotional shit drops.

Also, anyone else give their character's theme songs that you listen to whenever you write them? I always have ''Be a Dentist!" from Little Shop of Horrors blasting in my ear whenever I write my insane, bi-polar scientist character, Dr. Sludge.
Well, that's the plan, yes! Though I have five "specials" too, so not quite. Working on one of those specials is part of how I got myself into the swing of things again. The specials are more fanservice-y than the main work, and they have the same status as the DBZ movies, so I allow myself to go a bit crazy with their stories, and, well... creative if it works, crazy if it doesn't.
As for your question, I've mashed a bit on a piano app and made some very simple character themes, but I haven't found character-specific songs online that I put on repeat or anything like that.

I agree with both of you, as in I prefer light-hearted stories, and mixing funny and serious works best. I think Dragon Ball always was pretty good at pulling off that balance. The shock of Krillin's first death comes to mind.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Alruneia wrote: I don't need it to be darker than Future Trunks' backstory, and honestly I don't think my story ever gets as dark as that.
My fanfic is about the Future Trunks Timeline, so i my darkness warranted? I mean, death actually means something in this story :D

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm

I tend more towards darker stories but I can appreciate a good piss take if I stumble across one. Hell, I'd say writing the Yamcha cooking fic was one of my best times writing anything.

What I tend to look for and do with DB fics is expanding the characters since the DBverse has a lot of stuff happens that you can use to examine these people in interesting ways that the series never really does anything with.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:What I tend to look for and do with DB fics is expanding the characters since the DBverse has a lot of stuff happens that you can use to examine these people in interesting ways that the series never really does anything with.
Do you have any example of that done well?

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:What I tend to look for and do with DB fics is expanding the characters since the DBverse has a lot of stuff happens that you can use to examine these people in interesting ways that the series never really does anything with.
Do you have any example of that done well?
There's a lot that expand on characters in interesting ways. Savior of Demons, and Honor trip are two of the best I've read.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 am

I found this thing called Gizoogie, which translates anything you type into slang... And it can completely turn a scene you've written on it's head in the best of ways
Original Line: Gravity, a drowning sailor clawing at Trunks for any hope to take someone else down with them, hoping to crush his wind pipe and his spirit.

Slang Line: Gravity, a thugged-out drownin sailor clawin at Trunks fo' any hope ta take one of mah thugs down wit them, hopin ta crush his wind pipe n' his spirit, n' I aint talkin bout no muthafuckin Jack Daniels neither.''
Original Line: But he couldn’t stop. He told himself that he couldn’t stop.

Slang Line: But his schmoooove ass couldn’t stop yo. Dude holla'd at his dirty ass dat his schmoooove ass couldn’t stop.'
Original Line: It had started when he was a child who had never met his father; he had imagined Vegeta’s voice to be a mix of loving and gruff, since his mother had built up the image of a man who was ‘unique’ with how he showed affection.

Slang Line: Well shiiiit, it had started when da thug was a cold-ass lil lil pimp whoz ass had never kicked it wit his wild lil' father; dat schmoooove muthafucka had imagined Vegeta’s voice ta be a mix of gangbangin n' gruff, since his crazy-ass mutha had built up tha image of a playa whoz ass was ‘unique’ wit how tha fuck da perved-out muthafucka flossed affection. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.
It's just... Amazing..

Kanassa wrote:

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 am

Kanassa wrote:I found this thing called Gizoogie, which translates anything you type into slang... And it can completely turn a scene you've written on it's head in the best of ways
Original Line: Gravity, a drowning sailor clawing at Trunks for any hope to take someone else down with them, hoping to crush his wind pipe and his spirit.

Slang Line: Gravity, a thugged-out drownin sailor clawin at Trunks fo' any hope ta take one of mah thugs down wit them, hopin ta crush his wind pipe n' his spirit, n' I aint talkin bout no muthafuckin Jack Daniels neither.''
Original Line: But he couldn’t stop. He told himself that he couldn’t stop.

Slang Line: But his schmoooove ass couldn’t stop yo. Dude holla'd at his dirty ass dat his schmoooove ass couldn’t stop.'
Original Line: It had started when he was a child who had never met his father; he had imagined Vegeta’s voice to be a mix of loving and gruff, since his mother had built up the image of a man who was ‘unique’ with how he showed affection.

Slang Line: Well shiiiit, it had started when da thug was a cold-ass lil lil pimp whoz ass had never kicked it wit his wild lil' father; dat schmoooove muthafucka had imagined Vegeta’s voice ta be a mix of gangbangin n' gruff, since his crazy-ass mutha had built up tha image of a playa whoz ass was ‘unique’ wit how tha fuck da perved-out muthafucka flossed affection. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.
It's just... Amazing..
I really want to try that site out... but my antivirus is warning me against it.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Kanassa wrote:I found this thing called Gizoogie, which translates anything you type into slang... And it can completely turn a scene you've written on it's head in the best of ways

It's just... Amazing..
This invention is incredible!
Goku explains SSJB wrote: Original
[spoiler]Freeza: “Guuh…!”

Goku: “Do you like it?”

Freeza: “…So, you’ve become a Super Saiyan after all…”

Goku: “Hehehe…Actually, this here’s a bit different. It’s tough to explain, but I’m a Super Saiyan who’s a Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God.”

Freeza: “Good, then I made the right choice when I opted to challenge myself with a further
evolution, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise I might have been in trouble…”

Goku: “Cut the talk and just transform already.”[/spoiler]Translated
[spoiler]Freeza: "Guuh…!"

Goku: "Do you like it?"

Freeza: "…So, you’ve become a Supa Saiyan afta all…"

Goku: "Hehehe…Actually, dis here’s a lil' bit different. It’s tough ta explain yo, but I’m a Supa Saiyan who’s a Saiyan wit tha juice of Supa Saiyan Dogg."

Freeza: "Good, then I made tha right chizzle when I opted ta challenge mah dirty ass wit a gangbangin' further
evolution, just ta be on tha safe side. Otherwise I might done been up in shit…"

Goku: "Cut tha rap n' just transform already."[/spoiler]
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Helios518 wrote:

It's just... Amazing..
This invention is incredible!
Goku explains SSJB wrote: Original
[spoiler]Freeza: “Guuh…!”

Goku: “Do you like it?”

Freeza: “…So, you’ve become a Super Saiyan after all…”

Goku: “Hehehe…Actually, this here’s a bit different. It’s tough to explain, but I’m a Super Saiyan who’s a Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God.”

Freeza: “Good, then I made the right choice when I opted to challenge myself with a further
evolution, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise I might have been in trouble…”

Goku: “Cut the talk and just transform already.”[/spoiler]Translated
[spoiler]Freeza: "Guuh…!"

Goku: "Do you like it?"

Freeza: "…So, you’ve become a Supa Saiyan afta all…"

Goku: "Hehehe…Actually, dis here’s a lil' bit different. It’s tough ta explain yo, but I’m a Supa Saiyan who’s a Saiyan wit tha juice of Supa Saiyan Dogg."

Freeza: "Good, then I made tha right chizzle when I opted ta challenge mah dirty ass wit a gangbangin' further
evolution, just ta be on tha safe side. Otherwise I might done been up in shit…"

Goku: "Cut tha rap n' just transform already."[/spoiler]
Holy shit, I can't stop laughing at 'wit tha juice of Supa Saiyan Dogg' and 'ta challenge mah dirty ass wit a gangbangin'. So, Frieza grew in power through orgies. SEEMS LEGIT!

Kanassa wrote:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm

So, just to ask, have any of y'all made any significant progress on any of your fics recently?
I know I haven't.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:So, just to ask, have any of y'all made any significant progress on any of your fics recently?
I know I haven't.
Well, in the 7 months since I started mine, I've produced 19 chapters (Counting the four month break I had during that), all adding up to over 80k words. Does that count?

Kanassa wrote:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:So, just to ask, have any of y'all made any significant progress on any of your fics recently?
I know I haven't.
My friend made some doodles for the epic story I have been procrastinating for about a year and half. Because of it I did more work in two weeks than in a year. Hopefully I can finish the first arc by mid-summer.
I have most concepts developed and how I want the plot to progress. The hard part is writing it down. :oops:

Here are the doodles, including Cargo my main character(remember him from the Namek Arc?):
http://imgur.com/QM8wnLW
http://i.imgur.com/huvdAHU.jpg
http://imgur.com/Vj0CTkT

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:32 pm

I know I haven't.
Yes, progress is happening.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 pm

LightBing wrote:
I know I haven't.
My friend made some doodles for the epic story I have been procrastinating for about a year and half. Because of it I did more work in two weeks than in a year. Hopefully I can finish the first arc by mid-summer.
I have most concepts developed and how I want the plot to progress. The hard part is writing it down. :oops:

Here are the doodles, including Cargo my main character(remember him from the Namek Arc?):
http://imgur.com/QM8wnLW
http://i.imgur.com/huvdAHU.jpg
http://imgur.com/Vj0CTkT
That first one looks like a cool ass horror movie poster :D

Kanassa wrote:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Huh, I could have sworn I'd posted in this thread once upon a time, but it doesn't look like I had...then again, I can't seem to locate my old thread I'd made about my specific fanfic either. At any rate...
I know I haven't.
On my main one, 'Heroes of the New Era' which is basically meant to eventually be a coming of age story for Pan/Oob/the next generation, ha, ha...no...sadly, very much no. I've basically been blindsided ever since the new material started up. As originally envisioned, the story was crafted to cover post-Z material, but also be the kind of story I'd have liked to see in a full-length theatrical film for the franchise, something that, at the time, we didn't have. But then, Battle of Gods happened, and it was a great time! But I had to re-write a few concepts of my fic, especially in regards to Super Saiyan God. Then I started writing it in earnest, and Resurrection 'F' happened and brought along Super Saiyan Blue. So that brought further re-working to the table, but right as I was trying to figure that all out, Super was announced, and pretty quickly started bringing even more new concepts and issues to the table, especially now as we might be on the verge of yet another new transformation for Goku...

So yeah, the fic has been unfortunately, temporarily, entirely shelved. But not permanently, I still have every intention of finishing it SOMEDAY. I basically am waiting for one of two things to happen. 1) Super, and all new material that's bringing important story elements out, to finally be over for the time being. Or 2) Super to bring up something that I can't possibly reconcile with what I'm doing in my fic. The 1st is more likely to eventually happen then the second, since so far Super has been doing things that, while game-changing, aren't impossible to still lead to the end of Z, and likewise, further lead into where my fic happens. If it ever does, then I can (regretfully, cuz I'd really like the fic to fit as snugly into main 'canon' stuff as possible), then I can just pick what if any of the new material I want to still apply to the fic, and what I don't want to, and continue on from there. I'm basically stuck between a rock and a hard place with it until then though.

That said, I do have another DB related project of writing that I'm hoping to finally get off the ground soon, as it doesn't really run the risk of being blindsided by newer material, or at least not for a good, long time anyway. Hopefully I'll have more to share on that one soon enough.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 am

After watching some of the recent Dragon Ball Dissection episodes, how would you guys go about remaking the Freeza arc?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):