General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu May 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Gog wrote:For a villain is it Ok just having them admit they destroy and kill just because?
Sure, why not? :P Give them a dark backstory that provides proper motivation... or don't. If you ask me, not all fanfic characters need to be deep and complex, so long as they're interesting and well-written.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Gog wrote:For a villain is it Ok just having them admit they destroy and kill just because?
Sure, why not? :P Give them a dark backstory that provides proper motivation... or don't. If you ask me, not all fanfic characters need to be deep and complex, so long as they're interesting and well-written.
His backstory isn't very dark. He's essentially what Goku would be if he became the best, and was immortal.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Gog wrote:His backstory isn't very dark. He's essentially what Goku would be if he became the best, and was immortal.
Fine by me! As I mentioned, if he's interesting and well-written, he doesn't have to be complex. There's nothing wrong with making villains evil for the sake of being evil.

On another topic, and out of curiosity, has anyone written any "neutrally"-aligned antagonists? Namely, characters who are portrayed in opposition to the protagonists but aren't really "evil".
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Anime Kitten wrote: On another topic, and out of curiosity, has anyone written any "neutrally"-aligned antagonists? Namely, characters who are portrayed in opposition to the protagonists but aren't really "evil".
I did that in my story with Broly. Even though he was in opposition with Coola, and the gang he wasn't a bad guy.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 am

Yeah it's fine. Is it old hat? Yeah. But if it gives you less to worry about when developing, then go do it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 am

Anime Kitten wrote: On another topic, and out of curiosity, has anyone written any "neutrally"-aligned antagonists? Namely, characters who are portrayed in opposition to the protagonists but aren't really "evil".
I'm doing that right now, though can't say the same about one or two of his henchmen. His intentions are good, but his methods are questionable.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: And then you gotta drop kick a nun down a flight of stairs, set fire to an orphanage and steal a disabled child's toy while laughing in his face about it.

SERIOUS MODE: I've nailed down a few core stories that happen all at once so once college finishes and anyone wants to join, I can give them the low down there.
I actually started seriously writing fanfiction in my last two years of university, mainly because I needed an escape from all the stress and bullshit of uni life. Writing allowed me to channel my creativity into something that's actually fun. It was also a nice feeling knowing people were reading my stuff for entertainment reasons, not because they had to mark it. Good stress relief. Probably kept me from going insane too... for the most part at least.
Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote: I've heard college is like High School. Only worse, so good luck with it.
Might be different in America, but it's nothing like Secondary School (UK High School), mostly because the majority of people you'll see there are there because they want to put in effort and do the subjects they chose. Plus, the atmosphere is more laid-back and friends, because 1. It's not about being taught really, it's about experimenting and learning with help always available. And 2. The Teachers don't have to take a student's crap. As us Brits would say "It's a college, if you're gonna faff about, you can fuck off"

The big problems are just the usual stress of ''Ah, fuck, what if I fail!?"
It's the same here in Australia. A lot less douchebags in uni, but they still exist here and there, especially if you're studying something that leads into a very competitive industry, like journalism.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote: It's the same here in Australia. A lot less douchebags in uni, but they still exist here and there, especially if you're studying something that leads into a very competitive industry, like journalism.
At worst I have those annoying classmates who do fuck about, but that's only in a class where you don't really interact with the other class mates unless you want help form them (IT). For Creative Writing, the only part I'd consider bad is the political rants where if you don't have the same views as the writer speaking, you'll probably feel insulted in some way.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am

How do you guys feel about writing fight scenes? What kind of approach do you take with them, if any? I'm currently 3200 words into my fic's first major fight scene, after working on it for about half a week.

I quite enjoy writing fights, and have a bit of experience doing so, but it can be really time-consuming. You have to make sure everything flows smoothly, and that the reader is able to properly follow what's happening.

A problem I used to have is that I spent far too much time describing unnecessary stuff, like the exact intricacies of someone's stance and movements. I used to take part in an online roleplaying forum several years ago, and that kind of detail was valued highly. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well to actual story writing. I think I've managed to find a good balance between being descriptive and telling an entertaining story, but it does make writing the fight scene harder, since I have to think more about what goes on the page.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 22, 2017 2:18 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote: What kind of approach do you take with them, if any?
Well, according to my track record, the wrong approach... I usually write up the basic list of what exact moves each fighter is making in the fight on a notepad, then try to describe that with flowery text; then I go in to add the dialogue, quips and pretentious bullshit.

Kanassa wrote:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:How do you guys feel about writing fight scenes? What kind of approach do you take with them, if any? I'm currently 3200 words into my fic's first major fight scene, after working on it for about half a week.

I quite enjoy writing fights, and have a bit of experience doing so, but it can be really time-consuming. You have to make sure everything flows smoothly, and that the reader is able to properly follow what's happening.

A problem I used to have is that I spent far too much time describing unnecessary stuff, like the exact intricacies of someone's stance and movements. I used to take part in an online roleplaying forum several years ago, and that kind of detail was valued highly. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well to actual story writing. I think I've managed to find a good balance between being descriptive and telling an entertaining story, but it does make writing the fight scene harder, since I have to think more about what goes on the page.
While describing things in great detail may be good in roleplaying, it can easily get boring in fiction. By taking too long describing every single thing, the reader will only start skimming, and maybe even start losing interest. Consider that the average person reads about 250-300 words per minute; too many words causes a person to read for literal minutes without getting anywhere. Let the reader's brain fill in the minor details on its own.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:How do you guys feel about writing fight scenes? What kind of approach do you take with them, if any?
Avoid them as much as possible :P . I really dislike Fight Scenes, most of the time they're a boring slog to get through if there's no thematic weight to it, and even then a fight scene is often a boring slog to get through that's usually the worst part of the story. If I were to say what I do when writing a fight scene, well I make it short, fast, snappy and interesting too read to boot as well.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 am

Gog wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:How do you guys feel about writing fight scenes? What kind of approach do you take with them, if any?
Avoid them as much as possible :P . I really dislike Fight Scenes, most of the time they're a boring slog to get through if there's no thematic weight to it, and even then a fight scene is often a boring slog to get through that's usually the worst part of the story. If I were to say what I do when writing a fight scene, well I make it short, fast, snappy and interesting too read to boot as well.
Maybe you just haven't read many good fight scenes. Some writers are able to capture their fight scenes so well, that you're able to picture exactly what's happening. One such writer is ALP113, who wrote the fanfic Dragonball Z: Legacies. In the Naruto fandom, there's a guy called Kenchi618, who also writes phenomenal fight scenes. I hope that someday I can reach their level.

That said, I do agree that if a fight scene is poorly written, confusing or hard to follow, it's a slog getting through it... takes me back to some of my early days reading Dragon Ball fanfiction, when I wasn't so picky about what I read. In any case, if done right, epic fight scenes can add so much to a story. I also think they're important to a franchise like Dragon Ball, where fighting in general plays such a major part in the series.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 am

Words cannot describe how much I want to make a Samurai Jack X Dragon Ball Fanfiction.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Well, that fight scene I was writing just went past 5000 words, and I'm still not done. I expect the finished product to be between 6000-6500 words... and that's still only one part of the chapter.

Damn. I wasn't expecting the fight to go on this long, but the thing practically wrote itself. Ideas kept popping into my head, and one thing kept leading to another.

I wish I was this productive in my uni days.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Gog wrote:Words cannot describe how much I want to make a Samurai Jack X Dragon Ball Fanfiction.
I'd be down for that as soon as a fix fic of the last season is completed ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 28, 2017 2:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:Words cannot describe how much I want to make a Samurai Jack X Dragon Ball Fanfiction.
I personally thought the ending was beautiful and poignant. It's okay to have bittersweet endings. It's okay to not win everything.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I personally thought the ending was beautiful and poignant. It's okay to have bittersweet endings. It's okay to not win everything.
I actually think it was too sweet already. The entire season was built up with Jack accepting the fact he has definitively failed half of his mission but that doesn't mean that stopping Aku can't or rather shouldn't be a priority still. Ashi's meeting of his past success' to bring him back from the brick was the show beating you over the head with that message and then it means nothing.

It's the equivalent of Logan spending the run time showing how it's comics glorify and exaggerate the lives of actual people (in the context of the film) for profit only to end with a big Avengers style smash fest that exemplifies everything the movie was against earlier on.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 28, 2017 2:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: I actually think it was too sweet already. The entire season was built up with Jack accepting the fact he has definitively failed half of his mission but that doesn't mean that stopping Aku can't or rather shouldn't be a priority still. Ashi's meeting of his past success' to bring him back from the brick was the show beating you over the head with that message and then it means nothing.

It's the equivalent of Logan spending the run time showing how it's comics glorify and exaggerate the lives of actual people (in the context of the film) for profit only to end with a big Avengers style smash fest that exemplifies everything the movie was against earlier on.
Huh. So how would you do a fix fic ending to it? That in Jack's failure, he was still able to overcome Aku?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I actually think it was too sweet already. The entire season was built up with Jack accepting the fact he has definitively failed half of his mission but that doesn't mean that stopping Aku can't or rather shouldn't be a priority still. Ashi's meeting of his past success' to bring him back from the brick was the show beating you over the head with that message and then it means nothing.

Huh. So how would you do a fix fic ending to it? That in Jack's failure, he was still able to overcome Aku?
I haven't nailed anything down but despite having issue with the story even pre-ending, I think anyone can keep everything from episode 1-8 the same and ignore the last two to make a really good conclusion.

One of my issues with it is that they have the Scottsman setup an entire sub plot with him seeking out Jack that they actually forget about until the last 15 minutes. I'd probably use that as a spring board for the remake.