General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Gog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:19 am

I really feel like writing a back story chapter showing off how Coola became how he is. But I don't know when and where to place the chapter. Heck it may even be two whole chapters.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 am

Gog wrote:I really feel like writing a back story chapter showing off how Coola became how he is. But I don't know when and where to place the chapter. Heck it may even be two whole chapters.
Don't some fanfiction storyies have 'special chapters dedicated to backstory, or you could put one of the character in a siutation that makes them think back to Coola's backstory
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:09 am

Starkiller_Ren wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Starkiller_Ren wrote:I've gotten satisfactorily far into my outline for Dragonball Next. I'm just having trouble moving to my next arc to outline, and I've been thinking of doing a bit of a time skip similar to the Cell Games-Buu Arc time skip, but the arc previously doesn't end with the sort of finality Cell does. Does it seem forgiveable to just go ahead and do it anyways?
Depends, what is this time-skip just happening after? Is it a period for the character's to prepare, like the Saiyan arc or the Cell Games? DO the characters believe they're done, but the audience know different? Time Skips are perfectly fine, you just have to make sure the jumping off point isn't awkward.
I'd say the second situation is fitting; they've reached an unexpected level of power, manage to defeat an ultra powerful enemy, and just don't expect the threat to escalate the way it does
When deciding to have a timeskip, what you need to consider is the nature of the next threat. If it's a direct escalation of the previous threat (think Vegeta-Frieza) or a rematch, then you can't wait too long before the connection is lost. I'd say a year at most. On the other hand, if the new threat isn't related to the previous one, then you can wait as long as you want, ranging from many years to simultaneously with your current arc.
Starkiller_Ren wrote:writing combat isn't as easy as i hoped haha
It sure isn't. I'm about to have fun with three chapters of pure battle, myself.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47 am

Alruneia wrote:
It sure isn't. I'm about to have fun with three chapters of pure battle, myself.
Why do you torture yourself so!? :D
My fight scenes are usually just done in one chapter, with the being rather long, unless I have a new challenger arrive or something occurs to change the fight.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Alruneia wrote:
Why do you torture yourself so!? :D
My fight scenes are usually just done in one chapter, with the being rather long, unless I have a new challenger arrive or something occurs to change the fight.
Because my chapters have a (pretty short) set length and it's the proverbial Goku vs. Frieza of the fic. Though it's actually only the last two phases of a way bigger battle which started in Chapter 46, so I guess it's more a proverbial SSJ Goku vs Frieza... Still, it's the climax of the arc, so I need to give it the attention and length it needs to be that.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Starkiller_Ren

Post by Starkiller_Ren » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 am

Alruneia wrote:
Oh my. I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that off just yet, so I admire you haha. I'll need to get a lot more practice in before I feel comfortable doing a Goku-Frieza level epic prolonged battle.
My Dragonball Fanfiction: Dragonball Next

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm

How do you make a chapter longer?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Gog wrote:How do you make a chapter longer?
Extend sentences with pointless fluff and filler made to sound poetic-... Uh, explore all the angles of your scene and flex your descriptive muscles.

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Extend sentences with pointless fluff and filler made to sound poetic-... Uh, explore all the angles of your scene and flex your descriptive muscles.
Precisely! Sound pretentious as all hell and you're set.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Depends on how much longer you need it to be. If you're talking a few dozen words, then you can write your sentences differently to wring more words out of them than you already have, especially in dialogue. If you need hundreds of words, you should look over your chapter, see how the plot progresses over the course of it, and look for a way to put in another paragraph somewhere.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Depends on how much longer you need it to be. If you're talking a few dozen words, then you can write your sentences differently to wring more words out of them than you already have, especially in dialogue. If you need hundreds of words, you should look over your chapter, see how the plot progresses over the course of it, and look for a way to put in another paragraph somewhere.
Okay, talking seriously now. I'd like to piggy back on what's said here, look over your chapter and think about what beats you want to hit. Focus on that first when making a chapter. Then, look back over it and see what creative flair you could add to it. Could you add a small character action? Could you add some development for another character? Could you add to the overall feel you're aiming for in the story?

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm

So for my next chapter I've decided to focus on a flash back chapter, it's basically going to show off how Coola became how he was, and how everything went on planet Androgynous. The main events follows as.

- Freeza transforms.
- Birth of the Frost Demons.
- Death of the Frost Demons.
- The Red Winter wipes out most of the population.
- Freeza and Coola battle.

So what do you think?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Gog wrote:So for my next chapter I've decided to focus on a flash back chapter, it's basically going to show off how Coola became how he was, and how everything went on planet Androgynous. The main events follows as.

- Freeza transforms.

So what do you think?
Frieza transforms... And then is born? Plus, I can't really form an opinion these ideas with so little context.

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote:So for my next chapter I've decided to focus on a flash back chapter, it's basically going to show off how Coola became how he was, and how everything went on planet Androgynous. The main events follows as.

- Freeza transforms.

So what do you think?
Frieza transforms... And then is born? Plus, I can't really form an opinion these ideas with so little context.
The Frost Demons aren't Freeza in this story... Also good I really don't want to spoil the story.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Gog wrote:
The Frost Demons aren't Freeza in this story... Also good I really don't want to spoil the story.
Well, we can't really comment on events with such vague terms.

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Gog wrote:...
Gog, you didn't need to send me the summery. I only needed more of an idea of the concepts so far. Though, I do have to say it does look good on paper, though the whole Icepic part seems really pointless, so work on connecting that to the plot.

That brings up another question, what exactly is your aim for the story? Is it to simply show Cooler's backstory, to explain how he developed a certain way?

(I would respond via a PM, but I literally just sent you one before I got this, so sending another could be confusing :D

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote:...
Gog, you didn't need to send me the summery. I only needed more of an idea of the concepts so far. Though, I do have to say it does look good on paper, though the whole Icepic part seems really pointless, so work on connecting that to the plot.

That brings up another question, what exactly is your aim for the story? Is it to simply show Cooler's backstory, to explain how he developed a certain way?

(I would respond via a PM, but I literally just sent you one before I got this, so sending another could be confusing :D
The point of the story is too showcase how Coola got where he is, some foreshadowing for future plot elements, and the introduction of the O.C.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Gog wrote: The point of the story is too showcase how Coola got where he is, some foreshadowing for future plot elements, and the introduction of the O.C.
Ah, for most of this I was assuming this was a new story entirely... Then I re-read your introduction to this and realise you said chapter... I'm fucking everything up today :D

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:18 pm

After talking to a few people about certain DB remake ideas, I've decided to take a crack at a one-shot that would be how I would end the series with Freeza. As expected of me, expect things to take a darker turn ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Would anyone be interested in a History of Goten one-shot? I've had the idea a while ago but didn't get to write anything, though I have some general ideas. It would be set in an alternate timeline where instead of 17 and 18, it's a rogue 16 devastating the world in search of Goku, unknown to him that he died. Goten is concieved a little earlier, but is still younger than Trunks. However, unlike the main timeline they aren't really friends and Trunks only gets a minor role so he doesn't overshadow Goten. Gohan is retired and depressed (won't spoil why) so Goten has to rely more on himself, especially after finding himself as 16's target because he looks exactly like Goku.

Goten's design would be a purple gi, with a yellow sash and yellow wristbands, over which he wears Goku's jacket (the one from the 10-day before the Cell Games filler), while his hair would be the regular Goku bangs in front, but longer hair at the back.

I'm asking because I don't really have a lot of time to write it, between tests and stuff, so I don't really want to write something nobody's interested in.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW