General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 am

Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote:And how much of a silliness factor should they be allowed in a story that's still attempting to be serious in ways?
As long as the villain never gets humiliated.
When I say stupid factor, I mean more in how silly they are as a character. Like, I have one villain who's centred around how ridiculous, flamboyant and seemingly convoluted he acts ("If you want I can tell you our whole plan through puppet show! I even made you all puppet versions of your corpses out your hair"), until that point in the story he reveals that he's a pretty big threat.

When you say humiliated, how would you define that?
I'd say a villain is humiliated when the story treats him as non-threat and all the characters mock his efforts. Like Freeza in RoF.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 am

Kanassa wrote:When is a villain too competent?
I'd say that it's when the heroes have no proper way to beat them.

Usually there's three ways out at that point:
1 - Asspull (Spirit Bomb sword on Zamasu)
2 - The villain is a moron and doesn't finish the fight, giving the heroes enough time to come up with a strategy (Kid Buu battle)
3 - The villain isn't all that villainous and the heroes are spared when they lose (Beerus)
#1 can be fixed by using some foresight and setting up foreshadowing for the moment (Super Saiyan Goku on Namek), at which point it's no longer out of nowhere. #2 is practically a trope at this point, and has to be properly explained with characterisation. #3 can be refreshing and a surprise, but it requires the proper characterisation first.
And how much of a silliness factor should they be allowed in a story that's still attempting to be serious in ways?
Well, if this is Dragon Ball we're talking about, gags have always been an integral part of the story, so removing all silliness would feel wrong. I'd say early Z-level silliness is low enough.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 am

Alruneia wrote:
I'd say that it's when the heroes have no proper way to beat them.

Usually there's three ways out at that point:
1 - Asspull (Spirit Bomb sword on Zamasu)
2 - The villain is a moron and doesn't finish the fight, giving the heroes enough time to come up with a strategy (Kid Buu battle)
3 - The villain isn't all that villainous and the heroes are spared when they lose (Beerus)
#1 can be fixed by using some foresight and setting up foreshadowing for the moment (Super Saiyan Goku on Namek), at which point it's no longer out of nowhere. #2 is practically a trope at this point, and has to be properly explained with characterisation. #3 can be refreshing and a surprise, but it requires the proper characterisation first. .
What if the point is for the bad guy to "lose" by winning?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:10 am

Doctor. wrote:Thinking of re-writing Super, but the Tournament of Power set-up may be a bit of a hassle. I'm all for challenge, but it's probably better if I change the way the set-up and maybe reduce the number of challengers.
I'm interested to see your portrayal of the tournaments of power and how many challenger you will include
well if a villain is too strong for our heroes,you have resort to
    A) to Deus ex machina
      B)Or use the Chekhov's Gunman
        C)making him have a change of heart
          D)have the villain act like a moron to have heroes to defeat him
          Mostly active on discord.

Kanassa
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 am

Considering the mechanics of how Frieza's and Cooler's transformations work, seemingly they have some sort of experience manipulating their biology due to their unique mutation. SO, would it be out of the realm of possibility of them acquiring some shape-shifting related abilities? Like, for Cooler I'm considering giving him some abilities that harken back to the fact that his design is inspired by the predator. Like, manipulating his body to blend in with the background like a chameleon or something.
          When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
          FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
          - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 am

Kanassa wrote:Considering the mechanics of how Frieza's and Cooler's transformations work, seemingly they have some sort of experience manipulating their biology due to their unique mutation. SO, would it be out of the realm of possibility of them acquiring some shape-shifting related abilities? Like, for Cooler I'm considering giving him some abilities that harken back to the fact that his design is inspired by the predator. Like, manipulating his body to blend in with the background like a chameleon or something.
          I hadn't thought of that but it should be possible for them to master biology manipulation. You could conceivably give them "weapons" like swords or axes made out of their exoskeleton too.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am

ekrolo2 wrote: I hadn't thought of that but it should be possible for them to master biology manipulation. You could conceivably give them "weapons" like swords or axes made out of their exoskeleton too.
          Maybe hide poison on their person like Frost did. Hell, maybe their exoskeleton could shift to help combat different environments... So many options here.
          When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
          FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
          - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Rubens
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Kanassa wrote:Considering the mechanics of how Frieza's and Cooler's transformations work, seemingly they have some sort of experience manipulating their biology due to their unique mutation. SO, would it be out of the realm of possibility of them acquiring some shape-shifting related abilities? Like, for Cooler I'm considering giving him some abilities that harken back to the fact that his design is inspired by the predator. Like, manipulating his body to blend in with the background like a chameleon or something.
          It's an interesting thought. I suppose that you could have them learn to do something like "changing" into other forms, not necessarily stronger or weaker, say... imagine if Freeza's 3rd form (similar to Frost's) was an alternative form to his final/true form rather than a "suppression form" (a common fan concept). Imagine Freeza transforming in a way that grows a larger chest armor, with shoulder pads and a sword instead of a left hand, into a form that buffs his resilience but lowers speed, I don't know, something like that. It's just an idea, I hope I'm not being too confusing.
          I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Do anyone have a good backstory for kale,like how she met cauli,her potential,etc

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 pm

The gr wrote:Do anyone have a good backstory for kale,like how she met cauli,her potential,etc
          Not without smashing her entire character to pieces and putting her back together.

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
          The gr wrote:Do anyone have a good backstory for kale,like how she met cauli,her potential,etc
          Not without smashing her entire character to pieces and putting her back together.
          So it seems kale is meant to be a garbage character no matter what

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 pm

The gr wrote:
          ekrolo2 wrote:
          She might not be if they did two things: stop making her nothing but a walking, talking Broly reference and stop making her reason for going nuts "Someone is talking to my senpai!".

Alruneia
          I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
          The gr wrote:
          ekrolo2 wrote: Not without smashing her entire character to pieces and putting her back together.
          She might not be if they did two things: stop making her nothing but a walking, talking Broly reference and stop making her reason for going nuts "Someone is talking to my senpai!".
          At that point, what's left of Kale's purpose? Broly references make up 99.9994 % of her character. You might as well just make a new female saiyan.
          Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Alruneia wrote:
          ekrolo2 wrote:
          The gr wrote: So it seems kale is meant to be a garbage character no matter what
          At that point, what's left of Kale's purpose? Broly references make up 99.9994 % of her character. You might as well just make a new female saiyan.
          I feel like she was a last minute edition ,because I don't really see the purpose of her aside from being fan service from the Broly fan in the wrong way,another reason why to hate to hate the saiyan of u6,I was just expecting her to be like Bruce banner or the jekyll and hyde of db
            Well there fanfiction,and I know someone out there is seeing the potential with this character

FoolsGil
            I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Kale comes from a long family line of saiyan politicians. However, the girl is too meek for the life of a Senator, and ended up as a teacher's assistant. Day in day out, bored of her life, and pretty much shunned from the rest of her family because she isn't a cut throat politician, it looked like Kale was going to live a life of mediocrity...until Caulifla flew into town, raising cain and taking names. One way or another Kale introduced herself, finding a fire within Caulifa that she had never felt before. Caulifla was aloof, but Kale wouldn't stop following her around, so Caulifla decided to take her in as a part of her gang. Eventually Caulifla left the town, and Kale went with her.

ekrolo2
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Since we're on the subject of U6 Saiyan's, I'd actually like a story post the Tournament of Power where Cabba has to deal with the repercussions of giving a thug criminal power greater then anyone else on the planet on top of a nigh unstoppable rage monster. I can't imagine the nicer Saiyan's of this universe who're warriors of justice would care for that executive decision :P

Doctor.
            Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Since we're on the subject of U6 Saiyan's, I'd actually like a story post the Tournament of Power where Cabba has to deal with the repercussions of giving a thug criminal power greater then anyone else on the planet on top of a nigh unstoppable rage monster. I can't imagine the nicer Saiyan's of this universe who're warriors of justice would care for that executive decision :P
            Dragon Ball actually addressing the consequences of their characters' reckless decisions? Hah, that's a funny one.

The gr
            I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
            Kale comes from a long family line of saiyan politicians. However, the girl is too meek for the life of a Senator, and ended up as a teacher's assistant. Day in day out, bored of her life, and pretty much shunned from the rest of her family because she isn't a cut throat politician, it looked like Kale was going to live a life of mediocrity...until Caulifla flew into town, raising cain and taking names. One way or another Kale introduced herself, finding a fire within Caulifa that she had never felt before. Caulifla was aloof, but Kale wouldn't stop following her around, so Caulifla decided to take her in as a part of her gang. Eventually Caulifla left the town, and Kale went with her.
            I do like this take of kale,that would explain why she's like caulifla,but one stuff she has potential. Like caulifla
            Doctor. wrote:
            ekrolo2 wrote:Since we're on the subject of U6 Saiyan's, I'd actually like a story post the Tournament of Power where Cabba has to deal with the repercussions of giving a thug criminal power greater then anyone else on the planet on top of a nigh unstoppable rage monster. I can't imagine the nicer Saiyan's of this universe who're warriors of justice would care for that executive decision :P
            Dragon Ball actually addressing the consequences of their characters' reckless decisions? Hah, that's a funny one.
            well there are pointing goku action in the tourna,never mind of course that subplot is going nowhere

Alruneia
            I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm

I might be alone on this, but I always figured it would be better for Super to say that Cabba already showed Super Saiyan off to the king and such, making it, and the way to achieve it, public information and causing a ton of people to be Super Saiyans. I'm using that idea in one of my specials, but only as a background detail.
            Concerning the current tournament, Caulifla would be one of these Super Saiyans, while Kale would not, for obvious reasons. Caulifla's "Mary Sue-ness" would be that she discovers Super Saiyan 2 on her own, which should feel significantly less "cheap" if the Super Saiyan 1 bargain sale has already happened.

Doctor.
            Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:54 pm

So I think I may have just finished my layout for how I want my DBS re-write to go, I may start writing it this week. I'm setting it after EoZ. Battle of Gods was nearly perfect so it may end up almost exactly the same in my version, but following that, it'll be almost like a completely different story, just with the same story ideas and concepts (after all, creating an almost exact replica of the DBS story with just a few "fixes" would be boring). Here's how I planned the arcs out:

- Battle of Gods arc
            - God of Destruction School mini-arc (not as bad as it sounds)
            - Universe 6 vs Universe 7 Tournament arc
            - Search for the Super Dragon Balls saga (which includes a Makaioshin arc and a planet Sadla arc)
            - Resurrection 'F' arc
            - Tournament of Power saga (recruitment arc, tournament itself and post-tournament)
            - Zamasu arc
            - Rebellion arc