General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Alruneia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Kanassa wrote:I've not had a problem writing Goku, though that might just be because I've never really put him in situations where he could act that stupidly. I just make him playfully upbeat and naive, as well as a bit insensitive to matters that aren't personal to him.
This is what I've attempted to do as well. I especially try to make sure plot advancement doesn't hinge on him (or anyone, really) acting stupidly.
Kanassa wrote:In your fic, do you have a character you hate writing and a character you love writing?
I'll admit I do have to hold myself back a bit when writing Bulla. It comes with the trade (see my signature) in a way, but I love writing her so much that I could easily end up making her a Multiverse Bra-tier Mary Sue in terms of power and randomly convenient intelligence/planning if I wasn't constantly watching out for it.
Other than her, I love writing Marron and Pan. Uub is fun too. And Piccolo. And Goku, Vegeta, Goten and Trunks.
It's hard for me to come with a character I hate writing. I do struggle a bit with the "regular" humans, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Kanassa wrote:I've not had a problem writing Goku, though that might just be because I've never really put him in situations where he could act that stupidly. I just make him playfully upbeat and naive, as well as a bit insensitive to matters that aren't personal to him.
This is what I've attempted to do as well. I especially try to make sure plot advancement doesn't hinge on him (or anyone, really) acting stupidly.
Then again, maybe I don't have this much of a problem because my fic takes place in the future timeline, where Goku and Co only appear in the last quarter. And even then, they're there to take care of 'fodder' and play spectator because they can't get to the main fight.
Kanassa wrote:In your fic, do you have a character you hate writing and a character you love writing?
I'll admit I do have to hold myself back a bit when writing Bulla. It comes with the trade (see my signature) in a way, but I love writing her so much that I could easily end up making her a Multiverse Bra-tier Mary Sue in terms of power and randomly convenient intelligence/planning if I wasn't constantly watching out for it.
Really, I worry so much about giving my characters too easy a time that I go to the opposite end of the spectrum and fuck them over hard. Like, with what I have planned for my story, I wouldn't be surprised if people reading it start thinking I hate Pan. She's... Gonna need a lollipop.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 am

I absolutely love writing Gohan and Videl, especially Gohan. I get a kick out of taking advantage of his general naivety about the world and putting him in situations where he says or does something awkward and then gets flustered as a result. Often, this happens around Videl, and I enjoy writing her reactions to Gohan's antics. Such a great pairing. They mesh together so well.

Mr Satan is great to write for as well, because you can make him so ridiculously over the top, yet still have him not be OOC. When Satan first showed up in the series, I absolutely hated him, but he's grown on me a lot since, to the point that I think he's one of the funniest and most absurd characters in all of Dragon Ball. And as someone who prefers writing comedy to drama, that really appeals to me.

I also have a love/hate relationship with writing Goten and Trunks when they're together. If I'm on my game, writing them is an absolute blast, since I can get really creative with their shenanigans. They're both so similar, yet so different in a lot of ways, and that creates a really fun dynamic. However, if I'm dealing with writer's block or feeling uninspired, but have to write scenes for them, I struggle more than normal. This is because their dialogue and interactions with each other need to flow naturally, or else it'll come across as forced or lack the humour I'm usually trying to convey. I guess that's one of the downsides of having to write for two people who are like separate pieces of a puzzle, for lack of a better term.

I don't enjoy writing Chi-Chi much, either. I don't hate her like a lot of people in the fandom, but she can definitely be an over-the-top character similar to Mr Satan, albeit in a different way. Whereas the champ goes overboard with his boasting, slander, over-protectiveness of Videl, and immense self-confidence, Chi-Chi goes overboard with her tiger mumishness (I don't care if that's not a word, I'm making it one). So it can be a real challenge writing that side of her without having her come across as unlikable, and still conveying just how much she cares for her children.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:05 pm

How would you go about creating a sympathetic backstory for a character without making it look like you're trying to make them sympathetic or justified, just understandable?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:22 am

Kanassa wrote:How would you go about creating a sympathetic backstory for a character without making it look like you're trying to make them sympathetic or justified, just understandable?
I suppose the best course of action would simply be to show what made him the person he is. A cackling maniac hell bent on ruling the world is always going to be more fascinating when we saw his journey into becoming that cackling maniac, instead of just seeing the end result of his journey. It's what Phantom Blood excelled with regarding it's main antagonist, Dio. Rushifa isn't a cackling maniac, and he is certainly no Dio. Rushifa is who I think you're referring to here. But, the difference between Dio and Rushifa is how the character acts, and what light the narrative is trying to paint them in.

The first act Dio does in the series is kick the main character's dog, and ruin the main characters life for the first quarter of the part. He clearly isn't meant to be likeable in anyway shape or form, and you're clearly not meant to be rooting for him. Rushifa from what I can remember is being painted as a morally gray, likeable character.

And I'm trying to use that as an apt comparison for how to write a sympathetic backstory without making them seem sympathetic just understandable. I really do consider that the best course of action to take.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 am

Gog wrote:Rushifa is who I think you're referring to here.
Thanks for the advice, but Rushifa wasn't who I was talking about.

Kanassa wrote:

undertakerlargestfan

Post by undertakerlargestfan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 am

If anyone wants to purchase a copy of my DBS manga here's the link to check it out [link removed by administrator

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:15 pm

undertakerlargestfan wrote:If anyone wants to purchase a copy of my DBS manga here's the link to check it out
Purchase? Ain't that illegal?

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Kanassa wrote:
undertakerlargestfan wrote:If anyone wants to purchase a copy of my DBS manga here's the link to check it out
I suppose so. And it also doesn't relate much with the topic of Dragon Ball related Fan Fiction.

So, back to the topic at hand. Who's the character you would consider the hardest to write? :)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Gog wrote:So, back to the topic at hand. Who's the character you would consider the hardest to write? :)
Of the cannon characters? Trunks, it's so tempting to just make him constantly broo no matter how boring it would be. Especially when trying to play up the aspect of his past struggles traumatising him.

Of my OCs? Torne. She's just that type of character that's really easy to make annoying with one mis-step. Especially with her being the most outwardly evil out of a gang of OC Villains that are rather grey leaning on the morality scale.

Kanassa wrote:

undertakerlargestfan

Post by undertakerlargestfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:35 am

Kanassa wrote:
It's not illegal as long as I use the fair use copyright term. Also it does relate to DRAGON BALL fanfiction as I was able to publish my fan manga and was trying to sell it with a discount before it gets distributed to barnes and nobles and amazon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 am

undertakerlargestfan wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Purchase? Ain't that illegal?
It's not illegal as long as I use the fair use copyright term. Also it does relate to DRAGON BALL fanfiction as I was able to publish my fan manga and was trying to sell it with a discount before it gets distributed to barnes and nobles and amazon.
Pretty sure fair use doesn't cover selling fanfiction, unless you have permission from the owners of the Dragon Ball licence.

Kanassa wrote:

undertakerlargestfan

Post by undertakerlargestfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Kanassa wrote:
undertakerlargestfan wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Purchase? Ain't that illegal?
Pretty sure fair use doesn't cover selling fanfiction, unless you have permission from the owners of the Dragon Ball licence.
Look at dagon ball after,dragon souk from derek pedula(he actually hekoed me out with this),and even dragon ball af. Have been sold on big markets like amazon and none of them have gotten in trouble at all becuase it is fair use.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 am

undertakerlargestfan wrote:It's not illegal as long as I use the fair use copyright term. Also it does relate to DRAGON BALL fanfiction as I was able to publish my fan manga and was trying to sell it with a discount before it gets distributed to barnes and nobles and amazon.
This is a gross, completely incorrect understanding of "fair use" and is yet another everyday example of the full-scale education that general fandoms need.

Something isn't "fair use" just because you say it is. You gain no magical legal power from invoking the phrase "fair use". The "fair use" fairy does not live in your fanfic or video description, channeling the power of ancient gods to smite the Content ID gnomes.

In the United States, "fair use" is not a right. It is a defense. It is a series of suggested guidelines you can use as a defense in an actual court of law. It's not a protection so you can upload music to YouTube, and it's not a protection so you can use the characters and universe of someone else's intellectual property in your own stories.

I wrote about this previously. Please read it.

Regarding international fanfiction and doujinshi, specifically in Japan: it's still illegal, but widely ignored due to the obvious benefits and talent cultivation it provides. The was indeed a major example of a doujinshi using the actual title of the series and positioning itself as a continuation/ending and having legal action taken against it, with somewhat-chilling effects felt throughout the rest of the doujinshi community thereafter.

Furthermore, writing about a subject matter is entirely different from actually writing a fictional story set in that universe with those characters.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:12 pm

So, if someone wanted to retool the post F arcs and bring back the golden SS line without remaking BoG and F, how could one go about this without it looking insanely stupid?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 am

Would anyone be interested in giving me some feedback on my idea for a villain OC?

Basically the idea is that Goku uses the Super Dragonballs to wish for an ultimate opponent to fight, that would will challenge him like no one he's ever fought before. The resulting being is not very intimidating looking (I'm thinking a short green guy, still working out the details) and doesn't speak at all... it's a berserker, much like Kid Buu. At first, Goku is able to easily knock him out with one blow in base form, but he keeps getting up and coming back for more. An observer (Whis perhaps) notes that the creature is not only continually improving in speed, power, and skill, but his rate of improvement is itself accelerating. He's not only able to copy Goku's moves and techniques, but quickly improve on them. He even masters Ultra Instinct after seeing it for only a few minutes.

This creature can't be reasoned with and kills anyone who gets in his way, but is also clever (doing things like destroying the Super Dragonballs so they can't be used to wish him away, and breaking Whis' staff right before he's about to rewind time).

I don't have a name for him yet though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:29 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Would anyone be interested in giving me some feedback on my idea for a villain OC?

Basically the idea is that Goku uses the Super Dragonballs to wish for an ultimate opponent to fight, that would will challenge him like no one he's ever fought before. The resulting being is not very intimidating looking (I'm thinking a short green guy, still working out the details) and doesn't speak at all... it's a berserker, much like Kid Buu. At first, Goku is able to easily knock him out with one blow in base form, but he keeps getting up and coming back for more. An observer (Whis perhaps) notes that the creature is not only continually improving in speed, power, and skill, but his rate of improvement is itself accelerating. He's not only able to copy Goku's moves and techniques, but quickly improve on them. He even masters Ultra Instinct after seeing it for only a few minutes.

This creature can't be reasoned with and kills anyone who gets in his way, but is also clever (doing things like destroying the Super Dragonballs so they can't be used to wish him away, and breaking Whis' staff right before he's about to rewind time).

The idea of Goku wishing for an opponent who constantly adapts to overpower him can be interesting, but in the way you describe the OC; what else is there to him? Seems like he's Kid Buu rip off of Goku without either's previous personalities. Yeah, he'll be a threat, but he seems rather one note. Then again, this kind of thing depends on what the story itself is and what you intend to do with it.

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Would anyone be interested in giving me some feedback on my idea for a villain OC?

I think making him a Kid Boo copy is a mistake but you are on the right track. I think the proper way to go is a Meeseeks type approach. Basically, the guy is made for the express purpose of giving Goku a good challenge but it takes him a while to make that happen. As he gradually gets stronger and stronger, he overcomes Goku and has to wait for his whole point for existing to catch up... until Goku can't do it as fast as he likes. Like Mister Meeseeks, the boredom of having nothing to challenge or fullfil him starts getting to the guy, especially since he can't find joy in anything besides fighting. So, when he realizes Goku can't stack up, he goes after the other strong mortals, then the GoDs and pretty soon he becomes a total menace to society who's overly simple creation/point of existence, back fires spectacularly.

A lot of Goku's most interesting opponents are kind of dark reflections of him. Cell is Goku if he murdered people to goad strong opponents into showing up. Beerus is Goku if he got so much more powerful than everyone he's long since gotten horribly bored. This could be a reflection of Goku who's been completely consumed by the desire to find a strong opponent.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

I think making him a Kid Boo copy is a mistake but you are on the right track. I think the proper way to go is a Meeseeks type approach. Basically, the guy is made for the express purpose of giving Goku a good challenge but it takes him a while to make that happen. As he gradually gets stronger and stronger, he overcomes Goku and has to wait for his whole point for existing to catch up... until Goku can't do it as fast as he likes. Like Mister Meeseeks, the boredom of having nothing to challenge or fullfil him starts getting to the guy, especially since he can't find joy in anything besides fighting. So, when he realizes Goku can't stack up, he goes after the other strong mortals, then the GoDs and pretty soon he becomes a total menace to society who's overly simple creation/point of existence, back fires spectacularly.

A lot of Goku's most interesting opponents are kind of dark reflections of him. Cell is Goku if he murdered people to goad strong opponents into showing up. Beerus is Goku if he got so much more powerful than everyone he's long since gotten horribly bored. This could be a reflection of Goku who's been completely consumed by the desire to find a strong opponent.
Those are some interesting ideas. Any chance you could help me with a name, though?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Any chance you could help me with a name, though?
You're going for a character created by a wish, right? Look into some words and phrases connected to wishes and see if there's a word or a part of a word you like. (Folklore and fairy tales will help.) Then turn that into katakana, mess with the symbols a little if you want, and turn it back to English. For example, Genie -> ジニー -> ジーニ -> Jeeni.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link