Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters [PILAF DONE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 pm

sangofe wrote:Episode two is Goku being "kidnapped" and them taking off, episodes 3-5 it's on the that planet. And after that is the awful story with Doll Toki and Lood. The only good thing about all these episodes is the fight Goku vs Ledgid that lasts like 3-4 minutes.
Goku getting kidnapped? Sounds like me editing the Panpoot episode! You know, the one where they take a single Chapter of the manga and pad it out to an entire episode by putting in raunchy Roshi antics, showing Panpoot's career, and having his agent get scared so he kidnaps Goku and Launch rescues him? Yeah that one.

If I do a DBGTKai I'll make sure to keep the Ledgid fight if there's time to spare in the episode.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 am

Hey, while you're editing this series, can you at all get me isolated audio clips of Nadolny's Goku for the clips of the original Dragon Ball that appear in Kai for my project I'm doing?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:39 am

I am the happiest little Dragon Boy in the world!
Scsigs wrote:Hey, while you're editing this series, can you at all get me isolated audio clips of Nadolny's Goku for the clips of the original Dragon Ball that appear in Kai for my project I'm doing?
Ooo! Could you provide me a list of what you need?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:37 am

KBABZ wrote:Image

Scsigs wrote:Hey, while you're editing this series, can you at all get me isolated audio clips of Nadolny's Goku for the clips of the original Dragon Ball that appear in Kai for my project I'm doing?
Ooo! Could you provide me a list of what you need?
Well, basically, I made an entire thread detailing what I'm planning to do. Basically, I'm going to do my own recut of Dragon Box footage to the dub of Kai, but I also wanna do some corrections on Kia's dub for both consistency & making things better to watch. Basically, Kai reused clips from DB, as you know, & I need to know if you can get me isolated clips of the ones where Kid Goku speaks from the English dub for those moments in the clips, for which I can hopefully get someone to help me out with replacing the dialogue in the Kai dub audio because I don't really care for Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku. Unless you could do those for me to help me out & I could cut out the middle man a bit. Also the part of the World Tournament in the Buu Saga, where the announcer dude imagines Goku as a kid when Goten starts fighting too.
Since you just showed me you have the Dragon box for the series as well, I also need episodes 83 to the end of the series, since I couldn't find downloads of them, if you can spare some downloads of them, for the flashback at the beginning of the series.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 am

Scsigs wrote:Well, basically, I made an entire thread detailing what I'm planning to do. Basically, I'm going to do my own recut of Dragon Box footage to the dub of Kai, but I also wanna do some corrections on Kia's dub for both consistency & making things better to watch. Basically, Kai reused clips from DB, as you know, & I need to know if you can get me isolated clips of the ones where Kid Goku speaks from the English dub for those moments in the clips, for which I can hopefully get someone to help me out with replacing the dialogue in the Kai dub audio because I don't really care for Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku. Unless you could do those for me to help me out & I could cut out the middle man a bit.
Huh, sounds very similar to IAmTheMilkMan's DBKai Recut project.
Scsigs wrote:Also the part of the World Tournament in the Buu Saga, where the announcer dude imagines Goku as a kid when Goten starts fighting too. Since you just showed me you have the Dragon box for the series as well, I also need episodes 83 to the end of the series, since I couldn't find downloads of them, if you can spare some downloads of them, for the flashback at the beginning of the series.
Uploading that footage somewhere would be very tricky to manage I think, and I only have Dragon Box, not Z. Depending on what Goku is saying in that clip I could find an appropriate clip to use, especially if it's a chuckle.

I don't have all the DB moments in DBKai memorized by heart; the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the recap in the first episode and the small clips from the very last one.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Well, basically, I made an entire thread detailing what I'm planning to do. Basically, I'm going to do my own recut of Dragon Box footage to the dub of Kai, but I also wanna do some corrections on Kia's dub for both consistency & making things better to watch. Basically, Kai reused clips from DB, as you know, & I need to know if you can get me isolated clips of the ones where Kid Goku speaks from the English dub for those moments in the clips, for which I can hopefully get someone to help me out with replacing the dialogue in the Kai dub audio because I don't really care for Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku. Unless you could do those for me to help me out & I could cut out the middle man a bit.
Huh, sounds very similar to IAmTheMilkMan's DBKai Recut project.
Yes, but I'm not cutting too much of the filler out, only the Hell scenes & Ginyu Frog switching bodies with Bulma, since both contradict things in Super.
KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Also the part of the World Tournament in the Buu Saga, where the announcer dude imagines Goku as a kid when Goten starts fighting too. Since you just showed me you have the Dragon box for the series as well, I also need episodes 83 to the end of the series, since I couldn't find downloads of them, if you can spare some downloads of them, for the flashback at the beginning of the series.
Uploading that footage somewhere would be very tricky to manage I think, and I only have Dragon Box, not Z. Depending on what Goku is saying in that clip I could find an appropriate clip to use, especially if it's a chuckle.

I don't have all the DB moments in DBKai memorized by heart; the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the recap in the first episode and the small clips from the very last one.
If you have the Kai releases, they only use clips from DB in the first episode & in the episode where they show Goku, Gohan, & Krillin in the hospital & Popo shows up, unless I'm confusing that with DBZ Abridged. There might be a few more, but I don't think so. She doesn't voice him in the recap at the beginning, I believe, but in subsequent ones, she does. The only other time is during the World Tournament where the announcer imagines him as a kid & he says, "yeah, I won." I need SOMEONE, at least, to help me with that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:02 am

Scsigs wrote:If you have the Kai releases, they only use clips from DB in the first episode & in the episode where they show Goku, Gohan, & Krillin in the hospital & Popo shows up, unless I'm confusing that with DBZ Abridged. There might be a few more, but I don't think so. She doesn't voice him in the recap at the beginning, I believe, but in subsequent ones, she does. The only other time is during the World Tournament where the announcer imagines him as a kid & he says, "yeah, I won." I need SOMEONE, at least, to help me with that.
Hmm, "Yeah, I won"? That'll be tricky to grab considering that Goku fails to say "I am the champion" in the 21st Tournament and he doesn't say anything like that in the 22nd. And of course when he wins in the 23rd, he's voiced by Schemmel. Maybe there's another line you could use there instead, like "Hi, I'm Goku!" which I could grab from an episode like meeting with Suno, or maybe a filler arc where we constantly bumps into little girls his own age?

Keep me in the loop if you come across any lines in Kai you need to have Nadolny'd, anyway!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:29 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If you have the Kai releases, they only use clips from DB in the first episode & in the episode where they show Goku, Gohan, & Krillin in the hospital & Popo shows up, unless I'm confusing that with DBZ Abridged. There might be a few more, but I don't think so. She doesn't voice him in the recap at the beginning, I believe, but in subsequent ones, she does. The only other time is during the World Tournament where the announcer imagines him as a kid & he says, "yeah, I won." I need SOMEONE, at least, to help me with that.
Hmm, "Yeah, I won"? That'll be tricky to grab considering that Goku fails to say "I am the champion" in the 21st Tournament and he doesn't say anything like that in the 22nd. And of course when he wins in the 23rd, he's voiced by Schemmel. Maybe there's another line you could use there instead, like "Hi, I'm Goku!" which I could grab from an episode like meeting with Suno, or maybe a filler arc where we constantly bumps into little girls his own age?

Keep me in the loop if you come across any lines in Kai you need to have Nadolny'd, anyway!
Well, I mean, the easiest way to get those lines would be either the FUNi DVDs, or Blu-Rays of Z, but I don't know if you have either of those. I don't even know if that's what he says in the dub of Z, it's just the translation I saw in the subs when watching Kai. If you don't, maybe someone else does & can help me there. Though, since you're reworking the audio of DB, I imagine you're experienced in editing audio to some degree so I was wondering if you have the Kai releases & can get me at least short clips that I can splice into my recut with Nadolny's audio from the DB dub of the short scenes to replace Clinkenbeard's.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:Well, I mean, the easiest way to get those lines would be either the FUNi DVDs, or Blu-Rays of Z, but I don't know if you have either of those. I don't even know if that's what he says in the dub of Z, it's just the translation I saw in the subs when watching Kai. If you don't, maybe someone else does & can help me there. Though, since you're reworking the audio of DB, I imagine you're experienced in editing audio to some degree so I was wondering if you have the Kai releases & can get me at least short clips that I can splice into my recut with Nadolny's audio from the DB dub of the short scenes to replace Clinkenbeard's.
Unfortunately I don't have Z DVDs. I don't have any big emotional connection to Z, and I didn't even know the exact plot of it until I watched the Kai dub several years ago. I do have Kai on Blu-Ray, but I don't have a Blu-Ray disc drive.

The audio editing I can do for T1C is mainly thanks to the Surround Sound mix Funimation used for their dub. Voices and Sound Effects are on the center channel, while Sound Effects are also on the surround channels with the music. There are certain edits that I was able to make by overlaying the music of one scene over the voices and sound effects of the other, such as in the very first episode where strings from The Path to Power play in the lead-up to Bulma explaining what the Dragon Balls are.

nopascal

Post by nopascal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm

KBABZ wrote:Image

How's your progress going with replacing the footage? Cause last you mentioned it, you were nearly done with your version with the blue bricks' footage.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 am

nopascal wrote:How's your progress going with replacing the footage? Cause last you mentioned it, you were nearly done with your version with the blue bricks' footage.
Yeah, I finished with the Blue Brick footage all the way to the end, and I could publish it right now if I wanted to. I have replaced the footage for the very first episode and put in the new title card, however what I want to do first now is sort out the evolving Intro and Credits that replaces shots as new characters are introduced (for example, Launch at Kame House in the credits replaces Bulma on the staircase when Launch first appears). What's holding me up is that the Dragon Box footage puts a much bigger load on my computer for some reason when I work with it, and the audio is out of synch as well because when I drop the .VOB in it goes as if I've selected Marathon Mode. I suspect this is because I didn't remove the disc security, so I'll have to experiment.

As well, being a child of the 90s, I've been completely distracted the the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. :oops:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 am

It's a shame Toei won't just do it themselves.

Kai-ing DB would probably bring it down to 100 episodes (cutting it down from 133 canon episodes) so surely they'd make their money back. How much would such a small project even cost them ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:12 am

sintzu wrote:How much would such a small project even cost them ?
Recutting it wouldn't be too hard or expensive, neither would re-scanning the footage in HD.

But having all the voices come back to take another swing at it like with the last two iterations of Kai wouldn't be cheap, and neither would making the footage actually look good, or doing an actually really good job of recutting it.

Boo Kai cheaped out by not making the footage look good, and going lazy with recutting the footage, and we know how that turned out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:25 pm

sintzu wrote:It's a shame Toei won't just do it themselves.

Kai-ing DB would probably bring it down to 100 episodes (cutting it down from 133 canon episodes) so surely they'd make their money back. How much would such a small project even cost them ?
To be perfectly honest, with the experience of Kai-ing DB myself and seeing Milkman's even better removal with Recut, I can see Toei reducing it down to 90 or even 80 episodes thanks to much more thorough sound editing, being able to end episodes at any point, and introducing new shots to cover up any continuity issues.

But as Robo said, the main expense would come through the sound. Outside of bringing the cast back together (and finding replacements for those we've lost since 1989 who didn't appear in Z), there's cropping the entire thing in 4:3, colour-balancing it, re-doing all of the sound effects in stereo, and having Sumitomo come in to re-score all of it, not to mention commissioning thirty closing themes for the Pilaf Arc alone. :lol:

There's also marketing. While Dragon Ball is roughly the same amount of episodes as the Buu arc was in the anime, it's handicapped by the fact that it isn't Z, while Buu has the advantage of being adjacent to the two movies and Super as far as chronology is concerned.

Sumitomo in particular touches on one of the reasons why I decided to start T1C in the first place, which is how Dragon Ball sounds. I never watched DBZ all that much as a kid nor did I delve into dub tapes and stuff so I have no attachment to either Z-Kikuchi or Falcouner. However I watched the original show a lot, and for me Toei and Funimation can pry Nadolny and Kikuche from my cold dead hands before they replace them for their own Kai take on Dragon Ball. Themes like, well, the main theme, Shenron and that travel theme and King Piccolo just make the show for me.

The one upshot however would be Schemmel redoing his Teen Goku lines, which are so cringey now it almost brings the 23rd Tournament to a screeching halt!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 am

Hey guys! So I'm in the middle of doing a completely different side-project, organizing all the Dragon Ball music from the 5-disc CD set in chronological order with the help of this site. While I was doing it, I noticed that Son Goku's Song was an insert song for the episode where Goku visits West City! I never knew that, so I decided to edit it in now while I was in the mood to do so. I had so much fun doing it, in fact, that I decided to upload the sequence with some quick Dragon Box footage to show you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNiB8b-n2Wg

The edits are as follows:

o The song has been mixed into mono to fit with the older sound edit, and quietened by -15.7dB, and gets quieter during the dialogue moments.
o Goku’s line “Hey Nimbus, there’s a rainbow chasing us!” has been muted so as to not clash with the “Ossu! Ora Gokū!” (“Heya! I’m Goku!”) line from the song.
o After the line in the song, it cuts to the verse of Goku singing about Kinto’Un, to stick with the appropriate choice of verse heard in the original Japanese episode.
o After the line “Sora o sui-sui jiyū jizai” (“Glides through the sky, free and easy”) to the line “Tabi kara tabi e to daibōken da” (“From one journey to the next, it’s a great adventure”), so that the song can end as Goku arrives in West City.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I've been wondering KBABZ, in Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters, have/will you be inserting the missing insert songs from the dub back in? Here are the ones still there and the ones that are missing. viewtopic.php?t=27706#p804531

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 pm

simtek34 wrote:I've been wondering KBABZ, in Dragon Ball Kai: The 1st Chapters, have/will you be inserting the missing insert songs from the dub back in? Here are the ones still there and the ones that are missing. viewtopic.php?t=27706#p804531
I'll modify that list a bit to show the status of them below. For simplicity's sake the episode numbers refer to the original DB listing, not T1C's!
  • Ep28: "Mezase Tenkaichi": Haven't added it, but I'll check it out today to see if I haven't removed the scene the song appears in.
  • Ep29: "A Mysterious Wonderland": Unfortunately The Roaming Lake is filler and has been removed, so this song won't make an appearance.
  • Ep30/33/35: "The Dragon Ball Legend": This one is tricky, because I've shortened this scene in the Kai edit such that having the song show up may be a bit tricky. I'll have a crack at it later today.
  • Ep43: "The Son Gokū Song": See here for proof! I am now in love with this song and Mazako's Goku singing terribly.
  • Ep48: "The Red Ribbon Army": The filler Scramble scene has been cut, so this song has as well.
  • Ep87: "Wolf Hurricane": Added it in yesterday! Because the new scene is shorter due to the removal of filler, the edit of the song is slightly different and is now fully instrumental, but it does finish with the actual end of the song.
  • Ep95: "Mezase Tenkaichi": See above, added in despite the shorter scene with a slightly new edit.
  • Ep130: "The Teachings Of Muten Rōshi": Similar to Mysterious Wonderland, the episode this song appears in is filler and has been cut, so the song effectively has as well.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:37 am

Since I can't go back and edit my post, here's an update!

I was able to re-insert Mezase Tenkaichi back into the English dub of the final 21st WMAT episode! However one of my edits was to remove Jackie verbally goading Goku into a final kick; he never did that in the manga and it always rubbed me the wrong way. However that screws with the synch the song has with the footage, so the song now comes in at the halfway point of the sequence after Goku and Jackie pant heavily. I did make sure to time it so that the song climaxes at the end right when the two connect in their final kick.

As for Doragon Boru Densetsu in Episode 35 (the one where Goku meets Suno and heads out to Muscle Tower) (the only remaining episode to have a scene that used to have the song in it), it turns out that I actually cut its scene entirely. It plays for Goku's "flash-position" to the first wish in the Pilaf saga, and I removed it because it was incredibly obvious that it's only there to pad time with a recap. It's only other use is to introduce how the Dragon Balls work to new audiences if they never saw the first arc, but that obviously isn't a problem with T1C (plus who doesn't know how they work at this point?).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:23 am

Hey guys check it out! Not only have I finished Kai-ing the credits, but I also did something I never thought I'd actually be able to do! With the magic of frame-by-frame Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop, I was able to swap out the Dragon Ball logo with The First Chapters logo in the eyecatches! Check it out!

Images within!
[spoiler]ImageImageImage[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 pm

An important moment, guys! I just finished editing the newest version of Episode 1, with the new video footage, intro, eyecatches and credits. It has begun! :D