Dragon Ball Last Chance Boardgame

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Dragon Ball Last Chance Boardgame

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am

Instead of necro-posting our now more than a year old post, I'm just going to make a new one and consolidate it a little more for viewing pleasure. Here is:

Dragon Ball Last Chance is a boardgame my brother, Heldheld, and me have been working on for years. You play with 2 to 6 players who each control 2 to 6 characters to complete a set number of Objectives in the Dragon World. You can roam around in an open world and basically do anything that's possible in the series.

How do you play it?
You start by each choosing a set number of characters to control in the game. There are six different races to choose from: Earthling, Namekian, Saiyan, Changeling (Freeza's race), Android and Buu. Then you pick out Facecards (pictured below) for your characters and give them a proper name. Each player then randomly draws a set number of Objectives, choosing between easy ones and hard ones, and the first player to either achieve all his objectives or to have killed or locked up all the other characters has won.

A selection of all the Facecards. This is all artwork from Dragon Ball Online or drawings by me based on the artwork from Dragon Ball Online. We tried to choose familiar faces, but also some unfamiliar for some variety. The new ones come from Online, Heroes and Xenoverse.

Characters can move through the Dragon World training to get stronger and eventually transform into your next level, grab Items to get ahead of your opponents and fight each other when necessary. You can learn a wide variety of Techniques from the show to get ahead in battle or to help you to achieve your Objective. When an objective is achieved the player draws an Event Card to stir up the game. Event Cards can have a big effect or they impact very little. It can range from the Bansho Fan shuffling all the item decks, or Beerus destroying the planet you are on in an instant. The stakes get higher and higher until you have only one last chance to achieve your goal and you have to take it.

Items from Earth and Namek, Objective Cards and Event Cards.

What's with the names?
We've chosen to go with Funimation names, but we will be including the original Japanese names in the Rule Book eventually. We both respect and like the Japanese version of the show, but we grew up with the dub. This is why we'd rather go for Destructo Disc than Kienzan. It's the same with most of the people around us who wish to play the game. We are completely aware of the original and in what ways it is better than the English version.

The map of the Dragon World. This is basically the board. When you get killed the game isn't over yet. This is a work in progress however.

What about Dragon Ball GT or Dragon Ball Super?
As Dragon Ball Super hasn't finished yet and we're still debating whether or not we want it to count as much as the original Dragon Ball, we've decided not to include anything from that show in our Boardgame, with an exception of using Frost in the face cards as it is VERY hard to find proper Changelings. We ARE including Battle of Gods and Ressurection F as they were both released as Dragon Ball Z movies. As for GT... the f$%* is a GT?

Back when we started with the first iterations we had maps for EVERYTHING. A map for Kami's Lookout, for Planet Vegeta, for Freeza Planet 79, for Snakeway. It was insane. Previous versions were made on paper and badly printed.

How long have you guys been working on this?
Well... it's been over a decade I believe? We started out on paper writing everything down and drawing the map. Can you believe we started with 20+ choosable races? It was insane. So many rules. As we went down the years we decided that this whole thing needed to be streamlined and a lot of rules cut out. We decided that if rules would be frustrating or annoying we'd cut them entirely or changed them to make it more fun. Some of this simplification resulted in us having to stow all the non-Earth items into the Namek item stack, which might seem a little weird at first, but you'll get used to it. We've gotten pretty far and we are looking at final versions of artwork here.

This version of the items has been the longest running. It's only recently that we decided to give those an overhaul and make them a little bigger. The previous version of the facecards is really not that old, because facecards have been a relatively new idea.

Is it difficult?
It's... not really. You need to get the hang of the Character Sheets, which can seem a little overwhelming at first. You'll be tallying all your stats, which might seem like a chore at first, but we've made it easy by laminating the Character Sheet and having a whiteboard marker pen. Your life will be a lot easier too if you know your Dragon Ball stuff, however it's not impossible if you don't. The only real difficulty is your opponent players and how well they know the world and the game.

Is it done yet?
Noooo.... Right now we're almost done with setting all the rules and we're going to start making a Rule Book again, which is something we haven't done for this project in years. We've also been play-testing this with people who know the Dragon World and it's been going really well. We'll probably also play-test the game with people who have never really seen the show, but enjoy boardgames. Apart from that it's mostly artwork that needs to be done. For example a little over half of the Face Cards are done, and a little over half of the actual board is done. These will both probably take a little while still.

The finished parts of the map. Earth and Other World. So much work still to do. The artwork was based on the Attack of the Saiyans 3DS game artwork.

Can we play it?!
This is a difficult question to answer. Printing this stuff is expensive, and we don't really know yet where to get our board and a box made. Also we cannot profit from this for obvious reasons, so right now the answer is no, you can't play it. Copyright stuff is a bitch, because we'd really want to let other people play it. We could probably make it available online so you can print it yourself, but we're not at that point yet. In any case, don't expect this to be a cheap thing to do. As for handing this over to Funimation or some boardgame publisher... we might do that eventually, but honestly I don't think there's a proper market for this game. It's a little too involved for a casual boardgame and the amount of artwork that has to be made is pretty astounding. We might do this, but we don't expect much from this. However the future is uncertain, so anything can happen and this might change. If you have any ideas be sure to post them! We'd like to hope a lot of you get to play this some time in the future.

As for right now, we'll try to post some updates and of course answer any of your questions :D

(If you want you can see our previous topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33199&p=1056215&hil ... e#p1056215 but don't post in it, you can post in this one :) )

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Last Chance Boardgame

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:00 am

I hope its okay to put some new things on here. Here's a rundown of all the facecards that are already done. Every race is going to get 20 facecards and so far only Earthlings are actually done :) Like I said before, most art is from Dragon Ball Online, but for characters that did not receive Dragon Ball Online artwork I've made artwork that resembles the others. You can probably spot the ones I did and the ones from Dragon Ball Online just by remembering Dragon Ball Online, but I think I've done a good job on most of these anyway.

Earthlings (20/20 Complete)

Namekians (17/20)

Saiyans (8/20)

Changelings (9/20)

Androids (7/20)

Buus (10/20)

It feels like a good collection so far, obviously almost half of them aren't done yet. If you have one that absolutely needs to be in here, feel free to comment and I can tell you if we're planning that and else we can see if it fits in :)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:31 am

This looks really good. Are you planning on getting this crowdfunded?

Also: Puddin and Spudz. Maybe they could be character cards?

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:35 pm

FoolsGil wrote:This looks really good. Are you planning on getting this crowdfunded?

Also: Puddin and Spudz. Maybe they could be character cards?
Well if we'd crowdfund it, we'd still have to have Toei/Funimation/whatever approval I think :o I'm not exactly sure how that works, but I don't think we can do it without permission anyway.

As for Puddin and Spudz... Puddin... mayyybeee... we added Dumplin because we love TFS, but to add their complete roster might be overdoing it. Puddin is a possibility, though, but we're gonna have to see... she does look a lot like Dumplin. Spudz is pretty definitely a "no" cause he just doesn't look like any of the races and he's not a singular race anyway :) Thanks for the suggestions!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu May 11, 2017 8:37 am

I hope this doesn't count as necroposting, but I have an update! A lot more facecards for one!

We have tested a lot and we're really getting near to the final rules. Still 22 facecards to go and the artwork for the Namek Map :)

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri May 12, 2017 12:08 pm

I wish I could just edit the previous post, but I just hit a milestone. I did 100 facecards, so to celebrate the 100th facecards I did this guy :b

God I love seeing characters not from Dragon Ball Online in the style of that game. I'm seriously in love with this artstyle. 20 more to go.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 am

Alright, we decided to re-arrange and add some new Namekians and I finally did all the remaining Namekians so here are the final versions of Earthlings and Namekians. Saiyans will be coming up next :)

All in all, I'm really really satisfied so far :D 20 was a great number to choose. We have a very good mix of canon characters, movie characters, Dragon Ball Online characters, male, female, parody and edgy. I absolutely love it :D

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 am

Nice and now Saiyans are done too! Only 15 more facecards to go, 5 for each remaining race!

I love the mix of canon, movie, Heroes, DBO, man, female, kid, adult, serious, parody in all these :D All in the Dragon Ball Online artstyle that I really like.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:04 pm

And finally Changelings are now done too! Only 10 more facecards to go :D Changelings (and yeah, the name is disputed, but we weren't going to call them Freeza's Clan) were definitely the hardest race to pin down 20 different faces from. We had no choice but to resort to all the different transformations from Freeza, Cooler and even Frost even though we really didn't want any Super in our game, we just had no choice. Still though, some lovely designs, one (the one with the hair) even from a rejected Changeling design for Dragon Ball Heroes. Cashman is our silly addition, he's of course not really a Changeling, but we love to play around with other manga's from Akira Toriyama and sneak them in our game :D

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:22 pm

This looks really amazing! I can tell there's so much time and dedication put into each and every part of the game. Hopefully someday you'll get the means to publish it, but either way, I'll be looking forward to more updates. Keep up the good work! :D
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm

This is so good. Great job guys.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks guys! :D We're finally nearing the end of all these faces! Here are 20 Android facecards, finally done.

Only Buu's to go! And then some Event Cards that require a few pieces of character art.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 pm

And yesssss finally!!! All 120 pretty much done (though I'm gonna go back and probably tweak a few and maybe redo one or two)!! :D

Some Event Cards have pictures need to be redone in this style (not all of them thankfully) so I'm not done yet O__o;; Also that Namek map is still looming the background :b

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:27 pm

worldmonsters wrote:And yesssss finally!!! All 120 pretty much done (though I'm gonna go back and probably tweak a few and maybe redo one or two)!! :D

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Some Event Cards have pictures need to be redone in this style (not all of them thankfully) so I'm not done yet O__o;; Also that Namek map is still looming the background :b
Curious, why aren't the Buu's called "Majin" instead?
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Avenant wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:And yesssss finally!!! All 120 pretty much done (though I'm gonna go back and probably tweak a few and maybe redo one or two)!! :D

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Curious, why aren't the Buu's called "Majin" instead?
You know what... honestly this is one of those things that was in here from the beginning and we just never really questioned. We're gonna do some thinking about this because it's really pretty important to get this right before we go to the place where they're gonna print this stuff :o

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Holy SHIT, PLEASE let me play too somehow.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Holy SHIT, PLEASE let me play too somehow.
Hahaha XD We'll see where this thing takes us :) Thanks!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm

All the facecards are basically done! But there are a few more Event Cards I want to do art for. However, first... I need to make a start on the Namek map :o In some ways the Namek Map is easier than Earth because I don't have a strict map to hold on to and a lot of it is very same-y. On the other hand, I don't really have a base except for some key places on Namek (most of which are still pretty unidentifyable) and most of it looks the same, so it's hard to find something of a variation in landscape :o

I'm basically going to go through it by first making places that really do make it in the show and are shown clearly, and then adding some other cool stuff and making all the natural ground, mountains and trees :) Here's some shots of todays work.

Guru's Place:

Moori's Village:

Also, yes, we have changed the name from Buu's to Majin's :D

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 am

And all 120 facecards are done, pressed and cut to size :D And they look AMAZING :D

Seriously look at all those magnificent bastards! We've changed a few things in relation to the pictures I posted earlier. I have now created or re-created 71 of the 120 pictures. The rest is straight from Dragon Ball Online as a png. You'd think it be over, but we also have Event Cards with some character art and there are 50 of those. 10 of those have original Dragon Ball Online artwork, so the other 40 I need to make myself. I already made these 12 though:

Also I've been posting some closeups of the artwork from the facecards and event cards on my Instagram. I also post some game updates over there.

If you want you can follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/dougurasu/

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, photobucket certainly ruined this topic :/ I'll be making a new one soon, but first I need to find a replacement. In the meantime, we got the facecards pressed! Here's a re-upped picture :)