DBZ Kai The Final Chapters: Disco is Dead Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

DBZ Kai The Final Chapters: Disco is Dead Edition

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 am

Hey all! I'm sure many of us were a bit disappointed by the lackluster placement of the Sumitomo score in the Boo arc of Kai, especially with the infamous Disco Track (officially titled "Effective Attack" on the soundtrack release). Well, I wanted to try and remedy that by using the English Dub's 5.1 audio to remove the track and replace it with other Sumitomo pieces that I figured would be more appropriate. Hence, DBZ Kai The Final Chapters: Disco is Dead Edition!

Now, I will not pretend that I am any good at editing audio, let alone 5.1 audio. I just wanted to try something new by doing something that I haven't done before with audio. If anybody thinks they can do this better than me due to more experience, a better ear for this stuff, other ideas for track selection, what have you, I IMPLORE you to do so. Just be sure to credit me if you use "Disco is Dead Edition" as your project title, haha.

Anyways, this project is only seeks to remove the Disco Track, so this isn't a complete overhaul of the music by any means. That also means this covers only episodes 101 through 105, 107, 108, 114, and 116 so far since they are the only episodes on Funimation's Final Chapters Part 1 set that have the Disco Track. At least, as far as I know - please correct me if I missed one! I also tried to replace some of the reverb effects that were lost from taking out the tracks, so I hope they aren't noticeably different from the originals. I'll probably do the other sets as well once they come out, unless someone more competent than me comes along with a similar project. And this probably goes without saying, but this project only applies to the English Dub since the Japanese track has no 5.1 audio.

Another thing I need to mention is that I did two versions of episode 103. In one version I used the "Go! Gohan!!" track for when Gohan and Goten are racing each other home but I then realized that they use it again when Chichi and Videl start arguing. For that reason, I replaced it with the "Kintoun" track. I liked the way that "Go! Gohan!!" fit so much, however, that I decided to render a version with it as well. That way if you like the placement and don't mind that it plays twice in a row then there's a version for you. With that said, Version 01 uses "Kintoun" and Version 02 uses "Go! Gohan!!" during the scene with Gohan and Trunks running home - take your pick!

Finally, I only have FLAC files for this project for now. You should be able to mux them in with MKV versions of the episodes, similar to SuperSaiyanHedgehog's Yamamoto Revival Project for Parts 5 through 8 of the original Kai. I'll probably convert them to other filetypes later on, but I decided to do this while also working on finals for school so I can't be bothered at the moment, haha. I hope this isn't an inconvenience!

At any rate, please feel free to give any feedback and please forgive me if the episodes sound like ass due to my less than perfect audio editing! I hope you guys enjoy!

Updates (5/15/2017):

I uploaded .ac3 versions of the Disco is Dead files. Check the Disco is Dead MEGA folder.

I also uploaded "corrected" audio for episodes 113 through 121, attempting to fix the muffling issue that several people have noticed. You'll find them in their own MEGA folder, linked below (.ac3 only for now). V2 versions of episodes 114 and 116 with similar corrections have been uploaded to the Disco is Dead folder (FLAC and .ac3). Big thanks to Daisetsu for finding out that the issue was with the center audio track being off sync! That made the fix really simple!

Update (6/26/2017):

Corrected audio has been completely uploaded! I'll get to the rest of Disco is Dead as soon as I can.

Disco is Dead MEGA Folder (FLAC and .ac3 available): https://mega.nz/#F!fBdVyRLQ!otuiz0C4AZ5YdLjuL_0oMQ

Kai Corrected Audio MEGA Folder (.ac3 only): https://mega.nz/#F!DIMmEBSK!RIQvqHnYAQfGMRgIU6MvXg
Last edited by OmegaRockman on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: DBZ Kai The Final Chapters: Disco is Dead Edition

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Which one's the disco track again?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Which one's the disco track again?
This track: https://youtu.be/9vZD06f767g

My YouTube

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:20 pm

This is a worthy project (although I haven't actually listened to them since I don't have any episodes to mux the audio into yet). But it's a good idea for a project because as I think back on it now, my only significant issue with The Final Chapters' music thus far (having only seen up to the Adult Swim/Toonami broadcast) has been that stupid disco track (but if we're counting the opening, I also don't like "Fight It Out").

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Hey guys! I have a few updates. Check the opening post!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon May 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Quick update. I just uploaded the corrected 5.1 audio for all of Part 2 and Disco is Dead for episode 127 (the Vegeta's sacrifice episode, .ac3 only for now). You'll find the audio files in the appropriate MEGA folders (links in the opening post).

A quick note about Episode 127: the disco track isn't actually in the episode, but I do know that many people preferred the silence of the original Z when Vegeta actually blows himself up at the end, so I've reinstated that. I added a music cue from Battle of Gods to when Vegeta says his goodbyes to himself, but after that there is no music. I decided to classify this under the Disco is Dead Edition to avoid confusion rather than creating a whole new classification for my non-disco track edits. It's just more simple to consolidate my Sumitomo Kai music edits under the Disco is Dead project. So yeah, while my edits will mainly focus on the disco track, I'll also occasionally do edits like this one to adjust the big moments that could have been handled better. Oh, one more thing - I edited the track in while I was correcting the center 5.1 track, so this episode is still in 5.1! Of course, the edited scene doesn't have the same 5.1 mix of the original episode since I got rid of everything besides the center track, but the rest of the episode should retain its 5.1 mix at least. If it doesn't sound good to you guys, I'll redo it in stereo like the other episodes. Anyways, I'll get to work on the rest of the Disco is Dead episodes in due time, so check back every now and again if you're interested. Thanks!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 am

Small update - last night I noticed that the corrected audio for episode 135 only had half the episode, so I fixed and reuploaded it. I forgot to post about the fix before I went to bed last night, so sorry about that! Anyways, if you downloaded the files before this fix, you may want to redownload 135 really quick. Thanks!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:18 am

I just uploaded the corrected audio for Part 3!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello, everyone! I know it's been a while, but Disco is Dead is officially complete! Episodes 122-167 have been uploaded! Check the link in the opening post to download. A couple of things to note:

1. I only uploaded .ac3 files for 122-167. I can't say whether I'll do FLAC versions as well.
2. 122-167 are in 5.1. I don't know if I'll do the earlier episodes in 5.1, however.
3. Episode 122 has two versions. The difference isn't in the track I used to replace the disco theme, but in the final scene at the end of the episode when Boo is about to be revived. I remember some people remarking that it was way too triumphant a track for the scene, so in Version 2 of that episode I replaced the track with one from Battle of Gods. Version 1 uses the official placement.
4. Episode 148 is a similar case to 127 in that it doesn't have the Disco track, but it does have a controversial piece for a big moment (Gohan's transformation into Ultimate in this case). I replaced the "Great Saiyaman" track (which I actually like when used right, but it clearly doesn't fit here) with the "Goku" track.

With that said, disco is officially dead in DBZ Kai's English dub! I hope you all enjoy!

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 am

Hey, everyone! I noticed that Episode 148 had its audio cut out in the middle of the credits (both the corrected audio and Disco is Dead), so I uploaded corrected v2 versions to their respective MEGA Folders. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

My YouTube

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:20 pm

Would it be possible to tackle 99-112 for the sound correction?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.