The Original Dragon Ball AF

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

The Original Dragon Ball AF

Post by Xeztin » Fri May 12, 2017 11:52 am

After the original creator/artist of this Super Saiyan 5 picture was found that started the "AF" epidemic years ago by Derek Padula and co. he started his own website and Instagram account. His name is "David Montiel Franco" and by his response to Derek, he was unaware that the SSJ5 Image he drew when he was young that he submitted to a magazine called Hobby Consolas blew up and scattered across the globe as the next Dragon Ball series (Which was false as you know) until told by so by Derek. He was shocked that his drawing gathered so much attention and even helped fan artists like Toyble/Toyotaro make it big time by using his SSJ5 concept in his very own manga. He became shocked that Toyble and Young Jijii used his concept which has lead them to draw even for Shueisha. I was shocked that he went all these years unaware of the incident or that his drawing was all over the internet.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Anyways, this person has tried to reclaim some credit for his drawing since he has learned that people like Toyble have used it in dojinshi to elevate themselves to Shueisha. Apparently, "he gave up his artistic side" to look towards college and left Dragon Ball behind. Though he's recently been very active on Instagram and his own blogsite with uploading images and drafts of what he says was the original Dragon Ball AF or Alternative Future. I don't know if these are drawings from years ago or if he's returned to drawing. You can even see some manga pages on his instagram! Let me know what you guys think of his artwork, I do not think it is bad! :)

I do wish he could release a finished volume somewhere though, I always wondered what his story or the original af story was all about! It looks interesting to me. It's sad that we'll never know the original's story since it was a big part of DB history and fandom. I wished he could have an artist to help him if he didn't have the time to draw it anymore. You can check out some of his drafts, drawings, and manga pages in the links below.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tablos.af/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Original Dragon Ball AF

Post by sangofe » Fri May 12, 2017 12:36 pm

So this guy Goku is up against is called tablos?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Wow so that's called Tablos and he isn't SSJ5 Goku?

It also seems like this guy wanted AF to be set in Trunks' future and not after GT. That's why it's called "After the future".
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

sangofe wrote:So this guy Goku is up against is called tablos?
If I remember correctly, in Franco's story, Gokū is deceased (as a result of the heart virus) due to this story taking place somewhere down the line in Trunks' future. Franco hasn't revealed very many details about the story, but, if I had to guess, I'd say that Tablos was intended to be Vegeta's brother, given that Google Translate tells me that "tablos" is the Spanish word for "tables", matching up with Vegeta and Table/Tarble in terms of Saiyajin name puns. Maybe Trunks ends up in some serious trouble and is assisted by the late Vegeta's brother, or something along those lines.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack