Spoiler titles and thumbnails: Which Youtubers?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Spoiler titles and thumbnails: Which Youtubers?

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 am

With all of the spoilers that are being leaked in Japan, especially about Goku's rumoured "new form", DBZ youtubers are putting out DBZ videos left and right. I'm trying to remain spoiler-free but also contribute to the fanbase by watching discussion videos, episode reviews, etc. Many DBS related videos get recommended to me and many of them often have spoiler titles and thumbnails. It's hard to distinguish between the clickbait youtubers who use clickbait titles (like SSJ5 Goku confirmed) or those who want to get more views by using actual spoilers in the titles and thumbnails.

Can someone give me a list of big name DBZ youtubers who frequently use spoiler titles or thumbnails so I know to avoid them? If they have spoiler tags, then that's fine. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't watch them (whether or not you care about spoilers is up to you).

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Spoiler titles and thumbnails: Which Youtubers?

Post by RichardKing2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 am

Geekdom101. Despite his preachy and holier than thou attitude he tends to display at times, he is especially known for putting blatant spoilers in the thumbnail. And when called out on it, his typical response is "get off the internet" even though this isn't a viable suggestion. Some people have jobs relating to the internet and with google+youtube, it'll keep track of the type of videos you watch.

MaStAR Media

UnrealEntGaming

AnimeLiveReactions

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

RichardKing2 wrote:Geekdom101. Despite his preachy and holier than thou attitude he tends to display at times, he is especially known for putting blatant spoilers in the thumbnail. And when called out on it, his typical response is "get off the internet" even though this isn't a viable suggestion. Some people have jobs relating to the internet and with google+youtube, it'll keep track of the type of videos you watch.

MaStAR Media

UnrealEntGaming

AnimeLiveReactions
Thanks! I used to watch Geekdom101 all the time (not so much recently). It's weird to see him resort to using spoilers since his channel's pretty successful and he makes some great content. I've also seen him call out other Youtubers like Forneverworld for doing the same. Doesn't he post here often? Would be great to hear why he does this if true.

Anyone know any good DBZ youtubers that don't blatantly spoil the show? Would be cool to be able to discuss things like the latest episode or hear hypothetical fights, episode reviews and fan theories.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

yay another "Let's trash Youtubers thread" yippee!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

Geekdom101 wrote:yay another "Let's trash Youtubers thread" yippee!
This is a legitimate question that has real repercussions for folks' fandom. You seem to have been called out by name, which is perfectly fine (and expected) as someone making wide-reaching public content; this gives you a wonderful opportunity to provide feedback and insight to an audience that is not (necessarily/generally) your own.

Judging by this comment, however, I'm not sure you're willing to actually have that conversation, and so I question the reason for your response in the first place. If your intent is to make a point about "YouTuber" threads devolving into nonsense and accusations and negativity, what do you think your response here serves?

(As always, if anyone feels that a post does not live up to the spirit of the Kanzenshuu community guidelines, please use the built-in functionality to report for moderator review.)

STEALTH EDIT ADDING IN SOME OF MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT MATTER AFTER DIGGING TO FIND WHERE I WROTE IT BEFORE:
VegettoEX wrote:If you're invested in the show and have any cursory interest in discussing it with other people, you're essentially shit outta luck.

The Japanese mentality around this stuff is completely different. The show is not the product: the show is just one piece of the larger merchandise marketing machine. It's disposable, it's free, and it's just there to keep it as highly visible as possible as you buy, buy, buy stuff with its name on it.

Character reveals? New forms? Story/plot points? All officially let loose ahead of time to support all of the other products. The mentality here is: "It's the journey, not the destination."

That's just how it works for these types of long-running children's properties. That's not a judgement on their process, and it's not a judgement on your choice on how to consume things; rather, that's just the reality of the situation. If you're not game for that, you need to remove yourself entirety.
Of course, that's from the production/marketing side, rather than the criticism/coverage/enthusiast side. There's an entirely separate conversation to be had for what your own work pipeline is going to look like and how that shapes your content and its branding as someone who doesn't actually make the show, but rather covers it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am

It's sad when YouTubers put spoilers in thumbnails. Though I have a solution for the guys who just don't want to see spoilers:
- Don't subscribe to DB YouTubers
- Cancel your YouTube history
- There's also the option to pause search history

By the way, slightly unrelated, it would be quite funny to have a DB Super villain who goes out of control because he gets spoiled of his favorite TV show finale on GodTube. Even as a one episode villain, it would be more interesting than the Copy thing or Watagash.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 am

emperior wrote:It's sad when YouTubers put spoilers in thumbnails. Though I have a solution for the guys who just don't want to see spoilers:
- Don't subscribe to DB YouTubers
- Cancel your YouTube history
- There's also the option to pause search history

By the way, slightly unrelated, it would be quite funny to have a DB Super villain who goes out of control because he gets spoiled of his favorite TV show finale on GodTube. Even as a one episode villain, it would be more interesting than the Copy thing or Watagash.
I think there's extensions for Chrome and Firefox that allow you to block from seeing videos with certain keywords in your recommendation bar
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:yay another "Let's trash Youtubers thread" yippee!
This is a legitimate question that has real repercussions for folks' fandom. You seem to have been called out by name, which is perfectly fine (and expected) as someone making wide-reaching public content; this gives you a wonderful opportunity to provide feedback and insight to an audience that is not (necessarily/generally) your own.

Judging by this comment, however, I'm not sure you're willing to actually have that conversation, and so I question the reason for your response in the first place. If your intent is to make a point about "YouTuber" threads devolving into nonsense and accusations and negativity, what do you think your response here serves?

(As always, if anyone feels that a post does not live up to the spirit of the Kanzenshuu community guidelines, please use the built-in functionality to report for moderator review.)
In the previous similar thread, I tried to give insight and was attacked and disrespected as well as ganged up on. Misinformation was spread about not only myself but other people who didn't deserve it and weren't even here to defend themselves (mostly because many of them have written off this board as "not worth it".) I stuck around for a bit in hopes that people would understand and it got to the point where I was literally name-called. So yes, the thread does not violate guidelines as of yet, but the minute I saw it, the idea that popped in my head was "Pandora's Box is open again".

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If you're invested in the show and have any cursory interest in discussing it with other people, you're essentially shit outta luck.

The Japanese mentality around this stuff is completely different. The show is not the product: the show is just one piece of the larger merchandise marketing machine. It's disposable, it's free, and it's just there to keep it as highly visible as possible as you buy, buy, buy stuff with its name on it.

Character reveals? New forms? Story/plot points? All officially let loose ahead of time to support all of the other products. The mentality here is: "It's the journey, not the destination."

That's just how it works for these types of long-running children's properties. That's not a judgement on their process, and it's not a judgement on your choice on how to consume things; rather, that's just the reality of the situation. If you're not game for that, you need to remove yourself entirety.
Of course, that's from the production/marketing side, rather than the criticism/coverage/enthusiast side. There's an entirely separate conversation to be had for what your own work pipeline is going to look like and how that shapes your content and its branding as someone who doesn't actually make the show, but rather covers it.
OH!

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for this, because... this is actually the truth and pretty much how I feel about it! Japan promotes stuff to get us hyped.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid "spoilers" online. Even if you avoid a platform - Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook - chances are you'll see a "new form" or something like that somewhere, even if you are scrolling randomly at something, promotional material aside. I personally try to be responsible by keeping titles vague but even I will admit I've screwed this up before and its my bad on that. I've apologized publicly about it.

Even if you never use Youtube, if you TALK about this series anywhere in the fandom, you risk getting spoiled about something.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 pm

I thought it was annoying before, but now I know why the forums don't do in-post embeds of YouTube videos.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Geekdom101 wrote: OH!

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for this, because... this is actually the truth and pretty much how I feel about it! Japan promotes stuff to get us hyped.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid "spoilers" online. Even if you avoid a platform - Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook - chances are you'll see a "new form" or something like that somewhere, even if you are scrolling randomly at something, promotional material aside. I personally try to be responsible by keeping titles vague but even I will admit I've screwed this up before and its my bad on that. I've apologized publicly about it.

Even if you never use Youtube, if you TALK about this series anywhere in the fandom, you risk getting spoiled about something.
And yet you have contributed to this problem heavily. And you're using this an an excuse to post about the new form in order to get views and money. Because you care more about that than integrity. In the initial video you had, you had a spoiler warning inside the video with a notepad to hide the form . But this is made irrelevant when you decide to show the new form anyway in the thumbnail. You did not have an initial intention of spoiling it, but went against that.

I'm not subbed to you, and yet because of how youtube is set up, I'm forced to essentially see your thumbnail because it shows as recommended, and it's made even more apparent with big youtubers. Depending on how big you are, along with the time you posted your video on youtube(at times) it'll increase the chance of it being shown for different people..even whom don't sub to you. I've cleared and paused my youtube history, but it still happens anyway. Your video got 800k views. So let me go into your mindset: You initially weren't going to outright spoil it. And yet, at the last minute you felt that showing the form would generate more viewers. So you decided to say "f integrity" and show the new form so everyone would see. Mostly to generate views, discussions, etc on your video. People did complain about spoilers in your comment section, but i imagine making money mattered more.

Just because it occurs doesn't mean you should contribute to the issue. You did this before with Caulifia. I can expect this with lower level youtubers who need to clickbait because they are desperate to gain subs and views . And yet you have a subscriber base of 300k subs, being one of the biggest DB youtube related channels. Even guys like Rhymestyle, whom I generally don't enjoy, still have enough integrity to atleast have spoiler warnings or not spoil things in the thumbnail. Same thing with Detective Q. As a big youtuber, you should know to look at different sides of the spectrum and do the least you can to piss people off.

Apologizing doesn't mean jack, it's about your actions and what you do after to avoid making the same mistake or causing the same issue . And the fact that you have done the same thing multiple times, means you'll still continue doing it imo. At the very least in regards to this topic, people should know YOU are one of the known people to do this and that they should avoid you if they don't want to risk getting spoiled. Honestly, I feel that if you knew the ending to this arc ahead of time, you would spoil it pointblank via thumbnail and title. It's not just the form thing, but it's the theme in general. because if you would do it with new forms, whose to say you don't eventually come across new leaks from viable people/websites ,and then blatantly show them in your thumbnail and title?!

Even some of your videos are still misleading. In this it says "Grand Priest Is Evil"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5QxV5QjklU

Even though it's not confirmed and from a story perspective, we don't know that so far. But your title and thumbnail in combination can fool viewers into believing it's confirmed. So not only do you post blatant spoilers, but you mislead people too! Your title should say have "Theory" in it! Funny thing is you did change the title to Theory...and then changed it back.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Aaaaand there we go ^

Just like I predicted.

Prejudging somebody they don't know? check
Assuming I'm in it for the money? check
Comparing me to people I actually know in real life? check
Claiming to read my thoughts? check
Using a large view count to complain? check

and the list goes on.

It stops being constructive criticism when you refer to somebody as a "tool" and then proceed to make blanket statements about their character without knowing them. It goes from "maybe this person has a point" to "eh, i don't really care about their opinion because it has no basis in anything"...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Not only do I not see them use the word "tool" in the post that you are seemingly quoting (and I don't see an edit history there), you don't actually respond to any of the points. And quite frankly, without having a really solid grasp on what's out there on YouTube, they seem like pretty valid points to me in my empty vacuum of a head, and I'd be curious about the answers.

Again, I say: you're in a unique position to explain yourself, but instead you simply jump to being defensive without addressing any of the questions.

There are a lot of growing pains going on in the jumbled journalist/enthusiast/entertainer/sponsored space between the creator and the audience. These pains are not limited in any way to just Dragon Ball, but this right here is certainly a prime microcosm of that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Not only do I not see them use the word "tool" in the post that you are seemingly quoting (and I don't see an edit history there), you don't actually respond to any of the points. And quite frankly, without having a really solid grasp on what's out there on YouTube, they seem like pretty valid points to me in my empty vacuum of a head, and I'd be curious about the answers.

Again, I say: you're in a unique position to explain yourself, but instead you simply jump to being defensive without addressing any of the questions.

There are a lot of growing pains going on in the jumbled journalist/enthusiast/entertainer/sponsored space between the creator and the audience. These pains are not limited in any way to just Dragon Ball, but this right here is certainly a prime microcosm of that.
He referred to me as a tool in the past. Check his post history. Once he said that and now, once again, made assumptions on my character, I checked out. I don't feel I should give someone the time of day who has insulted me like that without knowing a thing about me. I'll answer questions from people who don't come off like they have a bias and who genuinely want to know.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:16 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37536&p=1367397#p1367397

There's the post where he referred to me as a tool. That + what he said in this thread about me being greedy and wanting money and the same crap nonsense that all of us whom use the Youtube space got in the last thread is why I said what I said earlier and knew it would de-evolve into this. There's no real respectable "discussion" here, at least not without insults being flung. Then when you say "let me go into your mindset" without having a single conversation with me and naturally, assuming the worst, proves there's a bias.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:I don't feel I should give someone the time of day who has insulted me like that without knowing a thing about me. I'll answer questions from people who don't come off like they have a bias and who genuinely want to know.
I know you try to avoid spoilers, which is why I don't understand that, to this day, you still have that thumbnail of the new visual for Goku's form on your video of it. Like was said, you even make an effort to hide with the notepad inside the video, but what's the point of that when the damage was already done? It'd be one thing if it was a mistake, but you still have it there.

Are you not allowed to change Youtube thumbnails after a certain point, or something?

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Simere wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:I don't feel I should give someone the time of day who has insulted me like that without knowing a thing about me. I'll answer questions from people who don't come off like they have a bias and who genuinely want to know.
I know you try to avoid spoilers, which is why I don't understand that, to this day, you still have that thumbnail of the new visual for Goku's form on your video of it. Like was said, you even make an effort to hide with the notepad inside the video, but what's the point of that when the damage was already done?
The notepad in the video for that specific one was pretty dumb on my part considering that "spoiler" was legitimate promotional material from a magazine. That was kind of silly. I guess its a habitual thing for me to do.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect nor am I saying that I haven't made mistakes when it comes to spoilers and spoiler thumbnails - I have made them in the past and am conscious of being more covert with certain pieces of information. I've also changed various titles in the past as well. However, expecting NOT to get spoiled (somewhat) while engaging in discussions online is silly.

But see, it doesn't matter how much I improve the way I do things or take constructive criticism from others, because to some, I'll always be the "greedy guy who has no integrity"... despite them not having a clue about who I am or what I'm about.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 pm

So, to be clear, you're saying the thumbnail is fine because it's not a spoiler as it's an official promotion? Wouldn't that viewpoint make all spoilers, the previews of episodes and what not, not technically spoilers because they're official promotions from magazines?
Last edited by Simere on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Poor geekdom,he can't catch a break here.he is right, is not easy avoiding spoiler,there everywhere in Facebook,twitter & other social media if you want to avoid then don't spell nothing relating to dbs,I just wish you used these type of thumbnails for spoiler video just to avoid this Image
Last edited by The gr on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Simere wrote:So, to be clear, you're saying the thumbnail is fine because it's not a spoiler as it's an official promotion? Wouldn't that viewpoint make all spoilers, the previews of episodes and what not, not technically spoilers because they're official promotions from magazines?
Everybody's definition of spoiler is different.

If Toei wants you know about it, they'll put it out. VERY RARELY if EVER do we get actual "storyline" leaks that are real spoilers. I personally do not consider promotional material and promotional art to be a spoiler however others have told me that even if Toei reveals something, i still constitutes a "spoiler" which is why I title the video as such, just as a warning to anybody who doesn't want story details. If people want spoilers, they can search for them and get them from the search results. If my video pops up on the recommended, thats not my fault (Youtube does that) nor do they have to click it.

I find it very hard to believe that somebody is engaging content, regardless of the platform, and somehow avoid Trunks returning or Goku's new form popping up in their feed/timeline/wall. Blogs, Comic Book sites, etc all post about Dragon Ball now. The chances of them seeing that image is astronomically high, which is why I chose on that instance to make it the thumbnail and I even said IN THE VIDEO that within 24 hours, almost everybody in the fandom would know about the picture.