Fanfic writers villifying...

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Fanfic writers villifying...

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Sounds about right. One of the reasons I stopped reading Vegeta/Bulma fics that took place during those three fateful years is because of how much writers loved to shit on Yamcha and make him come across as a bad guy. That, and Vegeta being OOC in these fics by virtue of being too damn nice and caring. Vegeta was an asshole for the vast majority of the Android arc, and during this time clearly didn't give two shits about Bulma and Trunks.

Another character who gets bashed almost as much as Yamcha in fanfiction is Chi-Chi, mainly from the hardcore Gohan fanboys who want to live out their power fantasies through him, and blame Chi-Chi for "ruining" him. It's rather sad.
Oh I've seen people claim Chichi abused Gohan and tried to claim it as canon because of those kinds of fics.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:18 pm

GOD I hate those Chichi fics when they demonize her. There was one where she abused Gohan and Goten so. As that Goku killed her and then got sent to Hell by King Yemmq. Like how do people think of this? All the comments were happy about it too.

Another type of fanfic I hate is those post-Cell fics where Goku gets villified. Gohan grows to despise Goku and later Goten does too. When Goku returns, his family disowns him and Chichi sometimes moved on and is in a relationship with Piccolo of all characters.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Sounds about right. One of the reasons I stopped reading Vegeta/Bulma fics that took place during those three fateful years is because of how much writers loved to shit on Yamcha and make him come across as a bad guy. That, and Vegeta being OOC in these fics by virtue of being too damn nice and caring. Vegeta was an asshole for the vast majority of the Android arc, and during this time clearly didn't give two shits about Bulma and Trunks.

Another character who gets bashed almost as much as Yamcha in fanfiction is Chi-Chi, mainly from the hardcore Gohan fanboys who want to live out their power fantasies through him, and blame Chi-Chi for "ruining" him. It's rather sad.
I’ve seen Chi-Chi blames for that constantly. But I think Gohan’s choice to stop training and focus on more scholarly pursuits was his own decision.

Sure, Chi-Chi put him on that path in his younger days but that’s what any good mom should do.

I actually like Chi-Chi a lot myself.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:GOD I hate those Chichi fics when they demonize her. There was one where she abused Gohan and Goten so. As that Goku killed her and then got sent to Hell by King Yemmq. Like how do people think of this? All the comments were happy about it too.

Another type of fanfic I hate is those post-Cell fics where Goku gets villified. Gohan grows to despise Goku and later Goten does too. When Goku returns, his family disowns him and Chichi sometimes moved on and is in a relationship with Piccolo of all characters.
That.... is unbelievable.

Yeah, it’s really odd how fanfic writers come up with this kind of stuff but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Fanfics are all about wish fulfillment after all... or most seem to be anyway.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 pm

One fanfic I came across that, not only avoided character bashing, but also portrayed Chichi in a positive light. No, its not some soap opera kind of story, it actually begins in the Great Saiyaman Arc. The twist? Grandpa Bardock from Episode of Bardock gets popped into the timeline. No, he doesn't magically make the crew better all of a sudden, but things DO change. Like a fusion between Bardock and Piccolo.

Yeah, that happens.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Gohan grows to despise Goku and later Goten does too.
Thing is, that actually could work as a good and interesting subject for a fanfiction. Gohan growing up subconsciously bitter about things, maybe exploring how much the constant danger towards the family and Goku's absence fucks with ChiChi emotionally a little bit, ending with Goku and Gohan having a heartwarming discussion where they reach a new understanding or something.

Really, that's what happens with a lot of fic ideas. You can get so much by viewing a situation or character through another lens wihtout changing much, but a lot of writers have too much maliciousness put behind the idea that it becomes down right unenjoyable. On my opinion, no matter your feeling towards any certain ideas, characters, ect. A story founded on spite alone can never be entertaining or interesting.

THough, with you mention of Chichi, I'm always self-conscious I write her too annoying.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:THough, with you mention of Chichi, I'm always self-conscious I write her too annoying.
I've got the same thing with Goku, if I turn my brain on he'll definitely seem like way more an asshole (because that's what he really comes off to for me) but if I turn my brain off, he'll revert to Super levels of idiocy.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Gohan grows to despise Goku and later Goten does too.
Thing is, that actually could work as a good and interesting subject for a fanfiction. Gohan growing up subconsciously bitter about things, maybe exploring how much the constant danger towards the family and Goku's absence fucks with ChiChi emotionally a little bit, ending with Goku and Gohan having a heartwarming discussion where they reach a new understanding or something.

Really, that's what happens with a lot of fic ideas. You can get so much by viewing a situation or character through another lens wihtout changing much, but a lot of writers have too much maliciousness put behind the idea that it becomes down right unenjoyable. On my opinion, no matter your feeling towards any certain ideas, characters, ect. A story founded on spite alone can never be entertaining or interesting.

THough, with you mention of Chichi, I'm always self-conscious I write her too annoying.
Yeah, that would actually make for a compelling fan fiction. Sadly, I’ve never come across stories with that much depth in any fanbase (yet). I’d love to see something like this... for a lot of different characters. Maybe Yamcha coming to terms with his weaknesses but find a way to overcome that by creating his own self-worth. Or Chi-Chi and how she feels about the relationship and stuff like Goku never kissing her (this actually really bothers me and makes me feel so sorry for her). Stuff like that.

But yeah, stories with such biases against certain characters that some things come off as extremely malicious is very annoying for me to read.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm

GamerSkull wrote: Chi-Chi and how she feels about the relationship and stuff like Goku never kissing her (this actually really bothers me and makes me feel so sorry for her). Stuff like that.
That is why you can ignore OOC stuff like that. I agree with you though. It would be nice to find fics that go into those inner thoughts, but 9 times out of 10 they're so malicious that it loses all merit.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote: Chi-Chi and how she feels about the relationship and stuff like Goku never kissing her (this actually really bothers me and makes me feel so sorry for her). Stuff like that.
That is why you can ignore OOC stuff like that. I agree with you though. It would be nice to find fics that go into those inner thoughts, but 9 times out of 10 they're so malicious that it loses all merit.
Indeed. There are so many ways you can take these characters that Toriyama wasn’t able to for whatever reason.

Like Yamcha coming to deal with his mortality when he was afraid of dying once again when Freeza landed on Earth despite being given a second chance (MistareFusion mentions this in one of his latest dissections).

Those are great places to take fanfics. Hmm... maybe I should try writing one.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:06 pm

You guys got me thinking about potential oneshots I could write if I find the motivation to do so. They would be introspective looks at certain characters who tend to be unpopular in the fandom, like Chi-Chi and Yamcha. Personally, I have no issues with either of them as characters, and think the sheer amount of hate and ridicule they get is completely unwarranted and unfair. Might make for an interesting writing exercise.
GamerSkull wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Indeed. There are so many ways you can take these characters that Toriyama wasn’t able to for whatever reason.

Like Yamcha coming to deal with his mortality when he was afraid of dying once again when Freeza landed on Earth despite being given a second chance (MistareFusion mentions this in one of his latest dissections).

Go for it. Once you start, you never know what direction it might take you.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:You guys got me thinking about potential oneshots I could write if I find the motivation to do so. They would be introspective looks at certain characters who tend to be unpopular in the fandom, like Chi-Chi and Yamcha. Personally, I have no issues with either of them as characters, and think the sheer amount of hate and ridicule they get is completely unwarranted and unfair. Might make for an interesting writing exercise.
GamerSkull wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Go for it. Once you start, you never know what direction it might take you.
Yeah, I’ve been thinking it over and I have so many ideas I can tackle that Toriyama wasn’t able to with characters that faded into the background during the Z portion of the show.

My biggest problem is just where to begin when it comes to starting the story. Or how I’d seperate them. Stuff like that.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"