[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Sure! What I do take both the front and back left/right tracks, otherwise known as the surround tracks, make them into stereo so there's one front one back track. Then, I invert the back track and increase gain on it until it mutes the music as much as possible. Since kai audio isn't lossless, there are times where music can leak through but often enough it can be drowned out. This might be a problem for kikuchi since the style of kikuchi is more background than faulconer, so it may not work as well. It also only works for episodes 1-98, Funi decided to change their audio for the final chapters for some reason, and now it comes out in poor quality and the method doesn't work at all.
Well since I'm considering doing the first 98 episodes, this should be good for me, hopefully it goes well for me and I appreciate you helping me out with this!
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Sure! What I do take both the front and back left/right tracks, otherwise known as the surround tracks, make them into stereo so there's one front one back track. Then, I invert the back track and increase gain on it until it mutes the music as much as possible. Since kai audio isn't lossless, there are times where music can leak through but often enough it can be drowned out. This might be a problem for kikuchi since the style of kikuchi is more background than faulconer, so it may not work as well. It also only works for episodes 1-98, Funi decided to change their audio for the final chapters for some reason, and now it comes out in poor quality and the method doesn't work at all.
Well since I'm considering doing the first 98 episodes, this should be good for me, hopefully it goes well for me and I appreciate you helping me out with this!
I forgot to mention it's actually a bit of a bitch too, you're going to have to go through the entire episode in fragments because when inverting the back track and mixing it with the front track to one stereo it can have spots where the inversion cancels out the center track, to which you'll have to re-invert it. There were times where it got so meticulous that I just gave up on certain segments, for instance the frieza energy disk.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:
I forgot to mention it's actually a bit of a bitch too, you're going to have to go through the entire episode in fragments because when inverting the back track and mixing it with the front track to one stereo it can have spots where the inversion cancels out the center track, to which you'll have to re-invert it. There were times where it got so meticulous that I just gave up on certain segments, for instance the frieza energy disk.
This is a lot harder than I expected so I still have to experiment with this, I invert both front and back tracks and I can hear music clearely but when I invert only one stereo track music sounds like shit so I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:
This is a lot harder than I expected so I still have to experiment with this, I invert both front and back tracks and I can hear music clearely but when I invert only one stereo track music sounds like shit so I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong
You know I was gonna make a video explaining how this is done I might as well do this now. Sit tight, hopefully I can clarify this better.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: [FINAL WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-DiIqPktRY skip to around 6 minutes is where I start going over the sound effects restoration. I know it's not sony vegas but I'm hoping there is something similar there that might help you, I'm better at explaining by doing.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Since kai audio isn't lossless
So what's the reason you're not ripping the lossless audio of the Blu-Rays?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Since kai audio isn't lossless
So what's the reason you're not ripping the lossless audio of the Blu-Rays?
Are you talking about the Blu-Rays for Z? That's because it would take a lot of work to adjust the timing of the sound effects of those to where I want and at this point I don't really have the work ethic to do so.

The version of Kai I got, with the yamamoto score, did not have lossless audio.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm

No. I'm saying Kai has Blu-Rays...though good luck finding the ones with Yamamoto. Even so, there might be some cases where Kikuchi isn't playing music for a couple seconds where Yamamoto is, and vice versa.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Danfun64 wrote:No. I'm saying Kai has Blu-Rays...though good luck finding the ones with Yamamoto. Even so, there might be some cases where Kikuchi isn't playing music for a couple seconds where Yamamoto is, and vice versa.
Yeah mine aren't the season sets, my files are based off the ones that had Yamamoto scored episodes 1-52, and sadly those audio files aren't lossless... or if they are then the music won't 100% cancel out.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Hey everyone, Cell Saga is being uploaded. Finally got around my issues for the final episodes, I feel really good on how they turned out.

So going forward, I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news is that we're at the point where the finalizations are more about volume tweaks than they are track replacements, so that should speed things up.

Bad news is that I'm going to have a lot less time on my hands to do these in the future. I'm going to be getting a job soon and that combined with my college classes will take up most of my time that I haven't already dedicated to this.

I'm hoping that the speed of the edits will offset the time I'll be able to spend on them, but if it takes longer for the next sets of episodes to come up, don't be surprised.

Deimos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Deimos » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Hey!

I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work! I was a big fan of the Faulconer score and definitely missed it when watching Kai. Your preface pretty much said it all. The Faulconer score is iconic for dub fans and thanks to you we can finally enjoy the best of both worlds: an excellent dub with the score we grew up with! Faulconer definitely had its share of problems (never shutting up), but I think it really excelled in those big moments from the series (Goku's SSJ3 transformation, Vegeta's Final Flash, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to watching the Saiyan/early Namek Sagas as I have never seen it with Faulconer's score. Can't wait to see how you implemented it.

Take your time on what's left of your project, I'll be eagerly waiting its completion!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:29 am

Alright everyone, Cell Games Saga is being uploaded. It's going to be a bit before I get started on the world tournament saga, but I'll try to get some work in before the month is out. (TBQH the cell games ending is the best ending for DBZ, so if you're like me who just watched from the OG dragon ball to there you're set)

Deimos wrote:Hey!

I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work! I was a big fan of the Faulconer score and definitely missed it when watching Kai. Your preface pretty much said it all. The Faulconer score is iconic for dub fans and thanks to you we can finally enjoy the best of both worlds: an excellent dub with the score we grew up with! Faulconer definitely had its share of problems (never shutting up), but I think it really excelled in those big moments from the series (Goku's SSJ3 transformation, Vegeta's Final Flash, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to watching the Saiyan/early Namek Sagas as I have never seen it with Faulconer's score. Can't wait to see how you implemented it.

Take your time on what's left of your project, I'll be eagerly waiting its completion!
Thank you, I hope my scoring of the early sagas was good enough for you all. Hopefully I'll be able to get the final sagas done in the next couple months.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Amazing... i haven't watched it yet but this is exactly what i've been looking for ever since kai came out.

I tolerated the new voice actors because of the better pacing but really my biggest problem with kai was no faulconer, so hopefully i'll be able to delete my old dbz copies now.

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am

Thank you for this i watched the saiyan saga for this and piccolo first encounter with Raditz was so good literally rewatched the scene like several times i compared to the Ocean and the offical Funimation Kai plus dbz with FUNimation and damn yours is so much better.

Also i finally can be seriously about watch kai now because the first 98ep was the only ones really worth watching because of how badly Toei fucked up the buu saga.

Deimos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Deimos » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Dude... I just watched your Vegeta's Pride video... It's brilliant! I loved how you added the original dub line.

I was watching your video expecting the new Kai line, but was pleasantly surprised by the "You may have invaded my mind and my body" line. Immediately got chills.

I have a question for the Cell Games. Did you happen to add in Perfect's Cell's explanation for why he was resurrected after self-destructing from the original dub? I know purists don't like it when original dialogue is changed too drastically, but I really felt it was a better explanation of his survival. I love it when he says "Intact!" followed by his Perfect Cell Theme. What are your thoughts?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Deimos wrote:Dude... I just watched your Vegeta's Pride video... It's brilliant! I loved how you added the original dub line.

I was watching your video expecting the new Kai line, but was pleasantly surprised by the "You may have invaded my mind and my body" line. Immediately got chills.

I have a question for the Cell Games. Did you happen to add in Perfect's Cell's explanation for why he was resurrected after self-destructing from the original dub? I know purists don't like it when original dialogue is changed too drastically, but I really felt it was a better explanation of his survival. I love it when he says "Intact!" followed by his Perfect Cell Theme. What are your thoughts?
That was something I thought of doing while working on the pride video. I might just re-upload episode 95 for that, I'm still making some final tweaks to vegeta's pride because I'm trying to make the voicing as seamless as possible for the scene since there is a *slight* difference between the Z voice actingand the kai voice acting, but at this point I may just leave it as is because tampering with the pitch makes it sound tinny.

But I definitely am going to put that in since that addresses a massive plot hole.

By the way if anybody has a good quality pitch shift method other than what audacity offers please let me know, cause I want this shit to not come out distorted.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 am

The cell regeneration plot hole fix has been applied, episode 95 is being re-upped as we speak

Crusader114

Post by Crusader114 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 am

I just made this account as a means to express my thanks and gratitude for all that you're doing. You may have started late to the series (as mentioned in your initial post), but you're definitely one of the most significant fans out there. What you're doing is a huge welcome to many in the fan-base, and is a dream-come-true to many fans. Again, thank you for all that you're doing. It's really appreciated.

I also read that you used the DBZ Kai blue-ray dvds. I'm likely over-thinking this, but just wanting to be safe, which edition of the blu-ray dvds did you use? On amazon, there seems to be differing aesthetics on kai dvds featuring the same season. For instance, one would say all action no filler across the front, while another of the same season would be without. In addition, one version would say DBZ Kai season 1 while another would say DBZ Kai Part 1. Based on what I saw, for the version titled with seasons, it would take 4 blu-rays to reach the end of the cell-saga, while the version titled with parts would take 8. I think it's because kai ended at the cell saga indefinitely without doing the buu saga until much later, if I recall correctly. Which version of the dvds did you use for this project?

The season 1 version: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai- ... dpSrc=srch

The Part 1 version https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai- ... lu+ray+dvd

I think I'm just overthinking this, but I just want to be sure before I get the blu-rays.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 am

Crusader114 wrote:I just made this account as a means to express my thanks and gratitude for all that you're doing. You may have started late to the series (as mentioned in your initial post), but you're definitely one of the most significant fans out there. What you're doing is a huge welcome to many in the fan-base, and is a dream-come-true to many fans. Again, thank you for all that you're doing. It's really appreciated.

I also read that you used the DBZ Kai blue-ray dvds. I'm likely over-thinking this, but just wanting to be safe, which edition of the blu-ray dvds did you use? On amazon, there seems to be differing aesthetics on kai dvds featuring the same season. For instance, one would say all action no filler across the front, while another of the same season would be without. In addition, one version would say DBZ Kai season 1 while another would say DBZ Kai Part 1. Based on what I saw, for the version titled with seasons, it would take 4 blu-rays to reach the end of the cell-saga, while the version titled with parts would take 8. I think it's because kai ended at the cell saga indefinitely without doing the buu saga until much later, if I recall correctly. Which version of the dvds did you use for this project?

The season 1 version: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai- ... dpSrc=srch

The Part 1 version https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai- ... lu+ray+dvd

I think I'm just overthinking this, but I just want to be sure before I get the blu-rays.
Glad to be of service!

Honestly I believe either works, but I scored mine based off the one that had the yamamoto score which would be the part 1 version. The season sets I believe had the replacement kikuchi for all 98 episodes. What matters is that there's a one second delay before footage starts rolling and I *believe* both blu rays have that, but again I'm not 100% sure so I think you may want to go with part 1 since it's older and has the yamamoto score instead of the replacement kikuchi .

Crusader114

Post by Crusader114 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:40 pm

It appears that the most rare blu-ray out of the bunch is Part 2, going as high for about $100+ at the moment. For the season sets, I compared the two and saw that both ran with Dolby True HD 5.1 for English Dubbed (I believe I read somewhere on this thread that it mattered, though I could be wrong). This may be a stupid question, but if I were to go with the season sets, how would I be able to detect if there's the same one-second delay before footage begins rolling; will it be noticeable while doing the mixing or viewing it?

Also, in your opinion, how do you feel about Piccolo's line, while flying away with an unconscious Trunks and Goten during Vegeta's sacrifice, between the Funi dub and the kai dub?

In the Funi-dub he goes, "For the first time, Vegeta is fighting for something other than himself....controlling his own fate"

In the Kai-dub he goes, "For the first time ever, Vegeta is going to be fighting on behalf of someone other than himself...and sadly, it will cost him his life"

Personally, I think the Funi-dub captures that moment more, but what are your thoughts?