[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm

I do have to say, as someone who doesn't really care for the Faulconer score I appreciate you doing this project. While I'd prefer to introduce newcomers to Kai with the Kikuchi or Yamamoto scores since they better convey the wuxia/martial arts fantasy feel of DB (even if Kikuchi Kai has problems), I do appreciate having an option for older dub fans who are apprehensive towards Kai because of the soundtrack. Anything that'll encourage them to watch a more accurately scripted dub (and thus have a better understanding of the originally intended story and characters) is a worthy effort in my book, even if it isn't something I'm particularly interested in myself. Props to you for putting in the work!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 am

Pogosaur wrote:Hi, I made an account just to post this.

Thank you so much for all the work you put on this, it's truly amazing. I watched the Faulconer version as a kid and when I started rewatching Kai before starting Super I really hated not having the old music. Then I found this and man, am I glad I did. You're really awesome for doing this! Thank you so much :D
Thank you, I hope you enjoy it!
OmegaRockman wrote:I do have to say, as someone who doesn't really care for the Faulconer score I appreciate you doing this project. While I'd prefer to introduce newcomers to Kai with the Kikuchi or Yamamoto scores since they better convey the wuxia/martial arts fantasy feel of DB (even if Kikuchi Kai has problems), I do appreciate having an option for older dub fans who are apprehensive towards Kai because of the soundtrack. Anything that'll encourage them to watch a more accurately scripted dub (and thus have a better understanding of the originally intended story and characters) is a worthy effort in my book, even if it isn't something I'm particularly interested in myself. Props to you for putting in the work!
That means a lot, thanks mate!

I have a lot of appreciation for the kikuchi score and I have thought at times of doing a rescore of kai with the kikuchi score, it's just that I'd have to commit myself to months of dedicated editing all over again and I just am too burned out to do it at the pace I did for this one, so I'm eagerly hoping KBABZ does go through with that kikuchi rescore he's been talking about after his Kai 1st chapters project.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: [COMPLETE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I used your audio and converted it to some old episodes of dbz kai I had and I say its a pretty good I can actually enjoy this although I prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: [FINAL WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Ugh. I was trying so hard to resist and actually get my shit back together, but looks like I'm back to do one final run through.

See, I was going through the episodes and I had some major gripes and overall I wasn't satisfied. So, I'm doing one final run through of edits to get this bitch done and then I have to call it. I'm being *extremely* precise on each of my episodes this time. Some episodes may stay mostly the same, others might be drastically different. Things you'll notice in this final ru

1. Better volume - I noticed the tracks do overpower the dialogue a lot, and I want them to be background to it unless necessary
2. Moments of silence - I found more opportunities for those, and I'm using them
3. Better track placement - There were episodes where I thought to myself "what the fuck was I thinking" with placing my track there, so I'm doing an overhaul, particularly in the vegeta vs imperfect cell saga. Something you'll also notice is that I'm going to try to eliminate my usage of tracks that are prior to their actual appearance. For instance, I no longer use "boogieman" or "android battle" before Future Trunks appears. Some I still will use simply for variety's sake, but I'm doing what I can here.

As of this post, the Saiyan Saga is done and I'm 2 episodes away from being done with the Namek Saga. I have no idea when it will be done since I'm extremely busy with work and college, so don't be surprised if you may see a long time between uploads, or short times.

GoldDragon

Post by GoldDragon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Refinements are awesome! :thumbup:
So take your time and no worries, most of us here are just happy that someone here took the time to make this exist!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 am

Namek Saga is being uploaded now.

By the way I am really emphasizing that if you have any suggestions or criticisms now is the time because I'm likely to not go through editing this again after I do this run through for a *very* long time, and I want to make sure that this time I have it as best as possible.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Namek Saga is being uploaded now.

By the way I am really emphasizing that if you have any suggestions or criticisms now is the time because I'm likely to not go through editing this again after I do this run through for a *very* long time, and I want to make sure that this time I have it as best as possible.
Why did you change the final flash bgm on episode 81, just wondering doesnt sound bad

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:

Why did you change the final flash bgm on episode 81, just wondering doesnt sound bad
I contemplated it hard and thought to myself that "The Dragon", while an incredible track, didn't really convey the mood I thought the scene conveyed as well as what I put in. See, at this point Vegeta could blow up the planet in order to beat cell and it's just "woah holy crap what is he doing", and I wanted a BGM that might do that better. The dragon is epic, but it didn't quite do the "terrifying" effect" It was personal preference

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:

I contemplated it hard and thought to myself that "The Dragon", while an incredible track, didn't really convey the mood I thought the scene conveyed as well as what I put in. See, at this point Vegeta could blow up the planet in order to beat cell and it's just "woah holy crap what is he doing", and I wanted a BGM that might do that better. The dragon is epic, but it didn't quite do the "terrifying" effect" It was personal preference
Ah I still think its good. I still yet have to check out the namek saga.

Drizen

Post by Drizen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 am

This is good stuff Diccolo! Thanks for making it. Helped me finally get around to watching Kai after putting it off for several years.

However now that I've been watching through the series again, it's making me realize just how much I really miss Ron Wasserman's original score for the 1996 Ocean dub. It had a really cool gritty sci-fi feel to it, which has been making me want to go back and do my own cut of Kai now. Only problem is not all of Ron's score was ever officially released, so I'd only have limited material to work with, but it sounds similar enough to Faulconer's score that I think I could make a pretty solid hybrid between the Faulconer and Wasserman soundtracks while still having enough variety in music composition.

I'm curious though as to how you went about editing this, as you seemed to do a pretty nice job cleaning up the audio. Did you just use Audacity to isolate the music tracks from the voices, or did you use some other techniques as well?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 am

Drizen wrote:This is good stuff Diccolo! Thanks for making it. Helped me finally get around to watching Kai after putting it off for several years.

However now that I've been watching through the series again, it's making me realize just how much I really miss Ron Wasserman's original score for the 1996 Ocean dub. It had a really cool gritty sci-fi feel to it, which has been making me want to go back and do my own cut of Kai now. Only problem is not all of Ron's score was ever officially released, so I'd only have limited material to work with, but it sounds similar enough to Faulconer's score that I think I could make a pretty solid hybrid between the Faulconer and Wasserman soundtracks while still having enough variety in music composition.

I'm curious though as to how you went about editing this, as you seemed to do a pretty nice job cleaning up the audio. Did you just use Audacity to isolate the music tracks from the voices, or did you use some other techniques as well?
Thank you, glad you're enjoying it.

I did in fact use audacity to isolate the 5.1 tracks and then insert faulconer tracks in their own stereo arrangement, ultimately muxing them together into one. What I did was cut the base track and the back left/right tracks, leaving me with the fr and fl tracks and the c track. I salvaged what sound effects I could from the fr and fl without music, and silences the rest. Some of those effects I managed to restore by inverting the bl and br tracks and matching the volume so i could mute the music as much as I could, but some were not recoverable because music would bleed through.

that's pretty much it, I know some others use stuff like sony vegas and that allows you to do both video and sound edits, etc, or use the video to help with placement. Audacity's biggest drawback is you have to watch the episode after you've done the edits and go back and make adjustments accordingly

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey guys, it's been a month since I last updated this but the Frieza Saga revisions are live and being uploaded now. Took a lot of scrubbing since I really left a lot of music blaring in my original rendition, but overly loud tracks and choppiness shouldn't be a problem anymore, and there have been a lot of adjustments to track placement.

I will also be re-uploading a few episodes in the saiyan saga later today or tomorrow, just a few volume tweaks that had to be made.

No ETA for Android-Trunks Saga, but it shouldn't take as long since it's fewer episodes.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Welp, I finally got a copyright strike by Toei on my latest video upload, I have no clue what triggered it since it was under 5 minutes, hell I'm confused as to why they haven't taken any of my other ones down as well unless they are just being petty, but w/e.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:Welp, I finally got a copyright strike by Toei on my latest video upload, I have no clue what triggered it since it was under 5 minutes, hell I'm confused as to why they haven't taken any of my other ones down as well unless they are just being petty, but w/e.
Same here except I 2 copyright strikes, its only a matter of time before my channel gets taken down

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Welp, I finally got a copyright strike by Toei on my latest video upload, I have no clue what triggered it since it was under 5 minutes, hell I'm confused as to why they haven't taken any of my other ones down as well unless they are just being petty, but w/e.
Same here except I 2 copyright strikes, its only a matter of time before my channel gets taken down
How long was the clip you uploaded?

I know that I tried uploading the majin vegeta transformation and that got blocked before it could be published, so that wasn't a strike. I'm wondering if they aren't ok with certain videos being upped. My longest one is vegeta's sacrifice (4:10) and that has managed to stay up

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:
How long was the clip you uploaded?

I know that I tried uploading the majin vegeta transformation and that got blocked before it could be published, so that wasn't a strike. I'm wondering if they aren't ok with certain videos being upped. My longest one is vegeta's sacrifice (4:10) and that has managed to stay up
Ok one was a final flash broadcast audio clip which was 4 minutes and I uploaded a clip of my kikuchi revival score which was the ssj3 transformation which was episode 133?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Took a bit longer than I expected but Saiyan Saga is being uploaded as we speak, for the last time.

Seriously, I think there's nothing more I can do, and if I did I'd be nitpicking over it for forever. I had a lot more volume edits than I thought I would need.

Gonna do a quick look over the namek saga, shouldn't take as long.

helical

Post by helical » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 pm

First, you have done god's work. This was much needed for Kai.

Second, since Super is ending, would you reconsider doing episodes 166 and 167 of final chapters? We don't know if Super will be returning to finish Uub arc or not.

Third, can I assume you are done editing the arcs to the point where any changes will be minimal? I want to start my binge watching now xD

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Great for those that like the Faulconer score but how is this not considered piracy?
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Great for those that like the Faulconer score but how is this not considered piracy?
Fan Edits have been around since, like, the early 2000s. They've been a legally dubious subject but one that copyright holders have more or less seemed to not care about.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.