[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 pm

DISCLAIMER:

This is a fan-project. Dragonball and all associated products are owned by Toei Animation and Akira Toriyama, produced in English by FUNimation. Please support the official release

The music used in this product is largely owned and produced by Faulconer Productions. Other works not used by Faulconer Productions are the property of their respective owners.

Phew, now that we got that out of the way now let’s get onto the good stuff.

FYI This is not an exact replica of the original score, kai's cut being different aside I definitely took some liberties with the music in some places.

What you’ll need: MKV-merge → http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Thanks to IHaveNoUserName for making the tutorial on how to do this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZTu4NRPpo8

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

NOTE: These are not the actual episodes, only the audio files behind them. You will need to already have the episodes with the video files and mux the two together. These audio files are synched to the Kai Blu Ray editions. If you have some other edition the files might not appear to be in synch with the video footage.

https://mega.nz/folder/o3ZGCYBK#AStYoz5h3NuU2kxT-KcD4w

The way I did this is like the yamamoto revival, I’m only giving you the audio files. There are many reasons behind this, but mainly it’s because I’d get in major trouble for giving you the actual episodes, and that they are way too huge for me to be hosting. However, like yamamoto revival project, you can easily put these in with your episodes. How you acquire those episodes is up to you.

Hope you enjoy!

Faulconer not your cup of tea, or are you interested in trying a different score? That's cool, check out the other rescores currently available for Kai:
Kikuchi Score (Original Japanese Score) by IHaveNoUserName
Yamamoto Revival (episodes 53-98) by SuperSaiyanHedgeHog
My Own Personal Rescore (a combination of DB's composers)

FINAL NOTE: I want to give a massive thank you to Akira Toriyama for creating the amazing franchise of dragon ball, which I am a huge fan of, and the amazing guys who worked at Faulconer Productions (namely Mike Smith and Scott Morgan) that made this amazing soundtrack. Without either, this project would never have been done (duh) and I owe it all to them.

I also want to issue a huge thanks to the people who made the unreleased faulconer tracks available for use, as well as those providing instructions on making rips yourself. Given how many tracks were left un-released, this thing would be a lot different without those tracks out there. Namely Akesh Patel, CoyCoy88, Marcelo, and so many others who provided un-released tracks.

Huge props to FLOW for the great rock-remake of Cha-La Head Cha La.

Also shoutout to VGMdrummer for that great gohan angers remix.
Last edited by Diccolo-420 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 108 times in total.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

Huh...interesting. So you're someone who was exposed to the Nicktoons dub first, got the (admittedly rushed, ill-prepared version of) Kikuchi OST, THEN was exposed to Team Faulconer only later...yet Team Faulconer still ended up being your favorite?

Huh. That's...really cool to hear actually.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 am

Fionordequester wrote:Huh...interesting. So you're someone who was exposed to the Nicktoons dub first, got the (admittedly rushed, ill-prepared version of) Kikuchi OST, THEN was exposed to Team Faulconer only later...yet Team Faulconer still ended up being your favorite?

I know people who have never seen DBZ (or have only seen a few episodes) but listen to the Team Faulconer soundtracks, including someone who decided to watch DBZ after hearing the Perfect Cell and Super Buu themes. Different strokes, I guess.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:35 am

Fionordequester wrote:Huh...interesting. So you're someone who was exposed to the Nicktoons dub first, got the (admittedly rushed, ill-prepared version of) Kikuchi OST, THEN was exposed to Team Faulconer only later...yet Team Faulconer still ended up being your favorite?

Actually I watched the blu-ray editions with the uncut version of kai (not the one that was heavily censored on Nicktoons) that still had the yamamoto score in the first 50 or so episodes, which THEN had the rushed Kikuchi score. But yeah, I've seen how it's fairly unusual since a lot of people only prefer Falconer due to nostalgia.

Faulconer's score had some amazing tracks (SSJ3, Cell's theme, Pikkon's theme, Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Gohan Angers, etc) that it stood out to me over the rest. Like I said, it had problems in how it was used in the original funi dub which partly factored in my implementation of it in kai. The first set of episodes are fairly homogeneous with how the original episodes were scored, but starting with the cell saga I really began to put in some differences

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:But yeah, I've seen how it's fairly unusual since a lot of people only prefer Falconer due to nostalgia.
Errr....that's the ARGUMENT I often hear on this site, given that I'm a Team Faulconer fan who will unabashedly lavish his praise on the score any time Kanzenshuu starts a thread specifically for bashing it...but I never found that argument very convincing. There's a little part of me that gets triggered whenever I hear that.

So it was nice hearing from someone for whom that is most definitely not the case.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:But yeah, I've seen how it's fairly unusual since a lot of people only prefer Falconer due to nostalgia.
Errr....that's the ARGUMENT I often hear on this site, given that I'm a Team Faulconer fan who will unabashedly lavish his praise on the score any time Kanzenshuu starts a thread specifically for bashing it...but I never found that argument very convincing. There's a little part of me that gets triggered whenever I hear that.

So it was nice hearing from someone for whom that is most definitely not the case.
Oh, my bad then, I thought you were in kikuchi's camp from your post You're right they do argue that a lot.

PSA: I updated the release timeline for the Super Buu saga episodes to a few days, possibly tomorrow. I literally just finished the episode where Goku launches the bomb at Buu so only two more left until I go back and re-tweak the Saiyan saga.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:23 am

UPDATE: Super buu/Kid Buu Saga is done and up for grabs (episodes 141-165)

I'm gonna get started soon with the Saiyan Saga, I don't have a time-frame so just keep an eye out for it.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:05 am

What release are these synced /scored on?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:48 am

Not a Faulconer fan anymore but I'm interested to see your take.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:44 am

sangofe wrote:What release are these synced /scored on?
Blu-rays, since I could get my hands on them easily and there's now a way to rip un-released tracks from them with ease. Though, like I said, I made some personal changes.
Forte224 wrote:Not a Faulconer fan anymore but I'm interested to see your take.
Thanks! The Cell Saga was where I took more deviation from the original score, but I expect the android-saga to have some as well once I get back to tweaking it.

GoldDragon

Post by GoldDragon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Haven't swapped the audio yet but this is exactly what I've wanted! I'm introducing a few friends to Dragon Ball from the very beginning and will likely use this along with the DB Recut fan edit. I'm glad you took some liberties as to placement of music in certain scenes. IMO some of Faulconers score was great but mismanaged in the OG Funi dub. Looking forward to hearing your adjustments in the Saiyan saga as well.

Major props for undertaking this project!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 am

GoldDragon wrote:Haven't swapped the audio yet but this is exactly what I've wanted! I'm introducing a few friends to Dragon Ball from the very beginning and will likely use this along with the DB Recut fan edit. I'm glad you took some liberties as to placement of music in certain scenes. IMO some of Faulconers score was great but mismanaged in the OG Funi dub. Looking forward to hearing your adjustments in the Saiyan saga as well.

Major props for undertaking this project!
Exactly my thoughts on how the Faulconer score was in the OG dub. Great music, often poorly utilized by the editors. Hope you like what I've done

UPDATE: Saiyan Saga is now live, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but I'm sure if I go back I'll probably make some minor changes. Enjoy!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm

UPDATE: Namek Saga is now live. You'll notice the file sizes got larger in the later episodes. This is because I was encountering some audio quality drops in certain places and I decided to up the quality of encoding from 192 to 256-bit to compensate. Also, I recently discovered a method to partially restore sound effects. It's not seamless, but it's better than fights going on and it being annoyingly silent. :) I'll go back and give the same treatment to the Saiyan Saga once I'm finished with my tweaks.

I'm probably gonna take a week off and not start with the Frieza saga for a bit since I got a lot of stuff to do, but given how I thought it would take a lot longer to do these episodes, it probably won't be long for those to be up either. Who knows, if I have free time I might be able to crank them all out at once since those were more scored to how I wanted.

Enjoy!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm

You know, I'd think it would be cool one day if somebody did a Yamamoto-Kikuchi hybrid mix of Parts 5-8 (not counting episodes 96-98 due to only having been released with Kikuchi) in FLAC or DTS-HD or some other lossless/uncompressed format. Why a hybrid between the two composers, you may ask? Because the goal of such a hypothetical mix would be to keep all the sound effects intact, and there might be areas where that's flat out impossible without leaving in the Kikuchi Kai score. That being said, for the areas where music can be replaced cleanly, such a mix should replace the Kikuchi Kai tracks with the original Yamamoto placement (as long as the Yamamoto tracks come from equally lossless sources like Soundtrack CDs). And of course, there hasn't been any lossless file releases for things like the original Yamamoto Revival project, or any projects like it AFAIK.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Danfun64 wrote:You know, I'd think it would be cool one day if somebody did a Yamamoto-Kikuchi hybrid mix of Parts 5-8 (not counting episodes 96-98 due to only having been released with Kikuchi) in FLAC or DTS-HD or some other lossless/uncompressed format. Why a hybrid between the two composers, you may ask? Because the goal of such a hypothetical mix would be to keep all the sound effects intact, and there might be areas where that's flat out impossible without leaving in the Kikuchi Kai score. That being said, for the areas where music can be replaced cleanly, such a mix should replace the Kikuchi Kai tracks with the original Yamamoto placement (as long as the Yamamoto tracks come from equally lossless sources like Soundtrack CDs). And of course, there hasn't been any lossless file releases for things like the original Yamamoto Revival project, or any projects like it AFAIK.
If you're going for sound effects you might as well just keep the original music in place as/is. TBH I can't really see a yamamoto/kikuchi mix, simple due to the age that they were written for and how the music sounds is different. I could see a sumitomo/yamamoto mix though

Hitaku

Post by Hitaku » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I can't thank you enough for undergoing this project, I've wanted something like this for a long time. Thank you very much, I'll be eagerly awaiting the finished product!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Hey everyone, been a couple weeks but I've been working nonetheless. Frieza Saga is done, so technically the entire series has been scored!

Now we're in the stage of me making my final edits, I'm going through the Android-Trunks Saga again and am making my tweaks. I'm hoping to be done up to the end of the Cell Games saga by the end of December, but no promises.

If you notice, I changed the final lyrics on the end of the intro song to the original ending of the song, since I felt that fit better. I also decided to replace the song of the credits sequence that plays in episodes 55-98

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:46 am

That went faster than expected, the android-Trunks saga has now been updated

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:27 am

Cell Saga has been updated, plan is to go through the cell games saga and then add the sound effects to the saiyan saga. After which I'll make some final tweaks to the final chapters, which sadly can't have their sound effects restored in the same method.

Should be done with this by december, again depends on whether or not I'll want to make changes, etc etc.

vknives

Post by vknives » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 am

I joined just to tell you thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Watching Kai with the original soundtrack was always weird but now I can finally enjoy it