[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: [FINAL WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:14 am

Crusader114 wrote:It appears that the most rare blu-ray out of the bunch is Part 2, going as high for about $100+ at the moment. For the season sets, I compared the two and saw that both ran with Dolby True HD 5.1 for English Dubbed (I believe I read somewhere on this thread that it mattered, though I could be wrong). This may be a stupid question, but if I were to go with the season sets, how would I be able to detect if there's the same one-second delay before footage begins rolling; will it be noticeable while doing the mixing or viewing it?

Also, in your opinion, how do you feel about Piccolo's line, while flying away with an unconscious Trunks and Goten during Vegeta's sacrifice, between the Funi dub and the kai dub?

In the Funi-dub he goes, "For the first time, Vegeta is fighting for something other than himself....controlling his own fate"

In the Kai-dub he goes, "For the first time ever, Vegeta is going to be fighting on behalf of someone other than himself...and sadly, it will cost him his life"

Personally, I think the Funi-dub captures that moment more, but what are your thoughts?
In that case I'd say just go with the season sets it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The one second delay comes at the start of every episode default. AFAIK if it's blu-ray it should work just fine

When it comes to Piccolo's line I honestly prefer Kai there simply because "controlling his own fate" seems sort of out of place since that's always been Vegeta. The "and sadly it will cost him his life" is the epitome of dramatic irony considering Vegeta has fought for himself all this time and for this one time where he fights for others he will end up losing everything.

Not only that but the voice acting for that line between kai and z is incredibly different, so yeah.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am

Crusader114 wrote:It appears that the most rare blu-ray out of the bunch is Part 2, going as high for about $100+ at the moment. For the season sets, I compared the two and saw that both ran with Dolby True HD 5.1 for English Dubbed (I believe I read somewhere on this thread that it mattered, though I could be wrong). This may be a stupid question, but if I were to go with the season sets, how would I be able to detect if there's the same one-second delay before footage begins rolling; will it be noticeable while doing the mixing or viewing it?

Also, in your opinion, how do you feel about Piccolo's line, while flying away with an unconscious Trunks and Goten during Vegeta's sacrifice, between the Funi dub and the kai dub?

In the Funi-dub he goes, "For the first time, Vegeta is fighting for something other than himself....controlling his own fate"

In the Kai-dub he goes, "For the first time ever, Vegeta is going to be fighting on behalf of someone other than himself...and sadly, it will cost him his life"

Personally, I think the Funi-dub captures that moment more, but what are your thoughts?
As someone who owns both sets, the video is the exact same sync wise. The only difference is the audio, which for the first 52 episodes features Kenji Yamamoto’s score in the parts. Obviously this won’t make a difference to you since you are replacing the audio anyway.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am

PremiumSalt wrote:

As someone who owns both sets, the video is the exact same sync wise. The only difference is the audio, which for the first 52 episodes features Kenji Yamamoto’s score in the parts. Obviously this won’t make a difference to you since you are replacing the audio anyway.
Well thar ye have it. Thank you for clearing that up, I was unsure whether the season sets had the same synch but this makes things a lot easier now :)

Crusader114

Post by Crusader114 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 am

Thank you very much, that does make things a lot easier. I'm going to go and get the season sets since they seem easier to get at the moment and get started when I can.

As for Piccolo's line, you make a very good point. I didn't see it through that perspective.

On a side note, I really like your sample videos on your channel. Funimation and Toei could learn a thing or two from you.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Ok folks, I haven't *really* gotten started but I've been doing some prelims and I've discovered that I can easily re-use Z sound fx to replace the TFC sfx lost since the blu ray Z audio is lossless, meaning the music can be cancelled out completely leaving SFX in tact.

Basically, the process will take longer, but given how empty some scenes can be without SFX I think it will be worth it.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Ok folks, I haven't *really* gotten started but I've been doing some prelims and I've discovered that I can easily re-use Z sound fx to replace the TFC sfx lost since the blu ray Z audio is lossless, meaning the music can be cancelled out completely leaving SFX in tact.

Basically, the process will take longer, but given how empty some scenes can be without SFX I think it will be worth it.
Thats good to hear, would love some copies of it when you finish some of the episodes for the sfx
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Ok folks, I haven't *really* gotten started but I've been doing some prelims and I've discovered that I can easily re-use Z sound fx to replace the TFC sfx lost since the blu ray Z audio is lossless, meaning the music can be cancelled out completely leaving SFX in tact.

Thats good to hear, would love some copies of it when you finish some of the episodes for the sfx
I'll put it in the SFX thread, which remind me I need to upload episodes 83-98.

I might do the same for the earlier episodes, but the sfx from z will be more sporadic since cancelling out music is pretty problematic for those ones.

Soldjur

Post by Soldjur » Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Made a account to express my thanks for your work! It's just not the same with the other music, keep up the good work! Big fan!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Soldjur wrote:Made a account to express my thanks for your work! It's just not the same with the other music, keep up the good work! Big fan!
Thank you! Hopefully I'll be able to get you all the finalized buu saga in the next month or so :)

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Weeeeeelll guess what folks, I know it's been a while but the Peaceful World Tournament Saga is now being uploaded. I'm fairly confident I can get through the rest pretty quicky because at this point it's almost 90% volume tweaks.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 am

Bit late, but I wanted to let you all know the Babidi and Buu Saga is done and being uploaded.

There were very few changes I made outside of volume tweaks. A couple adjustments to moments I felt could have been done better, but overall it went SUUUUPER fast. At this rate I'll be done by either tomorrow or Friday.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm

While I can understand your reasoning, would you be willing to reconsider not doing the last few episodes? Just seems like a shame to come just a few episodes short of having a complete rescore.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:48 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:While I can understand your reasoning, would you be willing to reconsider not doing the last few episodes? Just seems like a shame to come just a few episodes short of having a complete rescore.
I've thought about it, and while I recognize people want EoZ I personally think it wasn't a good ending which is why I chose to end with 165. Hell, I personally think the buu saga's final act in general was some of the worst dragon ball ever made.

However, I may think about doing it. The problem, though, is that this point I'm pretty burned out so if I did do it, my re score of it would be a bit lazy.

HEYitzED

Post by HEYitzED » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 am

I can’t thank you enough for this. I just finished applying the first eight arcs to my files and checked out some key scenes real quick. This is absolutely incredible. And thank you for doing the Saiyan arc and first part of the Namek arc too since those were never scored by Faulconer Productions. Hopefully you’re close to finalizing the final arc so I can patch the rest of my files. :) Again thank you so much because the only reason I’ve held off on Kai for so long was for this sole reason. For me it just isn’t the same without the Faulconer score and now I can finally enjoy Kai with the music I grew up with. Good luck with the rest of the project! I can’t imagine the countless hours of your own time you’ve put into this but just know it’s greatly appreciated. And yes I agree with others who think you should go ahead and finish the last couple episodes. You might regret it later! Lol.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 am

HEYitzED wrote:I can’t thank you enough for this. I just finished applying the first eight arcs to my files and checked out some key scenes real quick. This is absolutely incredible. And thank you for doing the Saiyan arc and first part of the Namek arc too since those were never scored by Faulconer Productions. Hopefully you’re close to finalizing the final arc so I can patch the rest of my files. :) Again thank you so much because the only reason I’ve held off on Kai for so long was for this sole reason. For me it just isn’t the same without the Faulconer score and now I can finally enjoy Kai with the music I grew up with. Good luck with the rest of the project! I can’t imagine the countless hours of your own time you’ve put into this but just know it’s greatly appreciated. And yes I agree with others who think you should go ahead and finish the last couple episodes. You might regret it later! Lol.
Welllll whaddya know, I just wrapped up on the evil buu saga so go ahead and grab it.

In fact, I advise everyone to redownload the entire set once the evil buu saga is up. I finished the evil buu saga on saturday but then realized there were more volume tweaks (quick ones) to be made. I'm pretty much done with those now. For those of you who have already downloaded it i know you're probably a bit like "really", but each time I score my style improves, and I wanted to apply that consistency to the rest of the saga. By the buu saga I was scoring and using volume way differently than the first sagas, and hearing the difference annoyed me. Up to you whether you think it's worth it, I also made switched some tracks here and there in the earlier sagas.

And, after careful consideration I decided to include the EoZ episodes, as I scored them friday. A lot of my scoring is just me ripping from the blu rays of DBZ.

Anyway, once everything is done uploading I'm gonna mark this bad boy as done (fucking finally). Thank you all for your support and feedback, it's really helped shape this thing into where I wanted it to go.

I know a while back I said it was done too, but then I realized there was more to be done so I decided to do it, and I'm glad I did despite the fact that I am utterly burned out. There may be kinks, occasionally a track may be a bit louder or quieter than it needs to be, occasionally a track may seem a bit choppily edited, but overall this is in muuuuuuch better shape than it was 3 months ago and I am fully satisfied now in calling it quits.

With this done, I'm gonna be taking a good long break from Dragon Ball. I'll still be somewhat active and I will continue to maintain the channel, and I'll try to get to your questions, but my work here is done. Will I ever go back and make adjustments to this? Probably, since I'm a perfectionist, but I have to force myself to say enough is enough.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: [DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by Fionordequester » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 am

So wait, a few messages ago...you were saying you were able to add some SFX back in?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

Fionordequester wrote:So wait, a few messages ago...you were saying you were able to add some SFX back in?
Yeah he was able to restore the sfx by making stereo tracks on the front left/right tracks and on the right/left surround tracks then inverting the surround tracks then increasing the gain rate on the surround tracks as much as possible

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am

Nice job finishing this, I will watch this once I finish my revival as well

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

Fionordequester wrote:So wait, a few messages ago...you were saying you were able to add some SFX back in?
A bit, but it ended up being an extremely tedious and long process. I managed to get a lot for episodes 1-98, final chapters is another story

Crusader114

Post by Crusader114 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am

Congratulations on completing the project :thumbup: you created such an awesome project. As for your channel, I look forward to whatever content you may venture towards for your channel in the future. Again, congratulations, you're work is really amazing and you did a masterful job. Thank you again for taking the time and effort for making this possible.