[DONE] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: [FINAL WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer/American OST Edition

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:Fan Edits have been around since, like, the early 2000s. They've been a legally dubious subject but one that copyright holders have more or less seemed to not care about.
Fan-content has pretty much always been around, I'm not denying that, what I'm saying is that since Kanzenshuu is so firmly against piracy it's kind of strange they'd have a section full of downloadable illegal content.

Then again, there's also the fact that users share pirated content via PMs so I guess the staff just prefers to turn a blind eye.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:05 pm

helical wrote:First, you have done god's work. This was much needed for Kai.

Second, since Super is ending, would you reconsider doing episodes 166 and 167 of final chapters? We don't know if Super will be returning to finish Uub arc or not.

Third, can I assume you are done editing the arcs to the point where any changes will be minimal? I want to start my binge watching now xD
1. Thank you, I honestly think any rescore was needed for kai given its original scoring fiasco.

2. Ehh, possibly. I'm not really a fan of the uub ending as I think having the show end on 165 is a perfect ending for Z, and the uub parts introduce a character that we have no attachment to, but that's personal opinion. So chalk this up to a maybe.

3. Yes, the Saiyan Saga is 100% done, any changes at this point are minimal. I will be uploading the namek saga hopefully in the next couple days, and the frieza saga is pretty much final to where any changes are minimal. The rest of the sagas I am doing some final tweaks, but you're free to check them out. My issues, and others issues, have been volume overpowering scenes, and I have had some better ideas for track placement and producing more moments of silence.

In short, episodes 1-54 are nearly a final product. The rest, I'm hoping, will come along quickly, but as we all know sometimes we get caught up in stuff
SuperCyan2 wrote:Great for those that like the Faulconer score but how is this not considered piracy?
I believe VegettoEX clarified that as long as it's audio only it's not considered piracy, simply because we are not sharing the episodes themselves but only audio behind it. I'm not exactly sure about the legality of it, but since the yamamoto revival has been around a long time I just assumed that was fine.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:39 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Great for those that like the Faulconer score but how is this not considered piracy?
Well on kanzenshuu it isn't considered piracy as long as its the audio files only
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 am

Talk about a power through, my volume tweaks to the namek saga are being uploaded now. Not really too much that needed to be done unlike the Saiyan Saga, but there were still some really loud sequences I wanted to tone down.

Now I can keep going with my revisions, I'll get started on the android trunks saga this weekend, though I probably won't get much done since I got a shitload of tests this coming week since spring break is around the corner.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:Well on kanzenshuu it isn't considered piracy as long as its the audio files only
So going by that logic, it's fine to upload Dragon Ball OSTs? As long as it is audio files only. :P

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:Well on kanzenshuu it isn't considered piracy as long as its the audio files only
So going by that logic, it's fine to upload Dragon Ball OSTs? As long as it is audio files only. :P
Like I said, take it up with VegettoEX, I don't make the rules here I only follow them.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Ok the reason why this isn't considered piracy in my view is because you need to own the episodes whether its pirating or buying the blu rays and without it you can only hear the episodes but who would only want to listen to an episode anyway

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:55 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:Ok the reason why this isn't considered piracy in my view is because you need to own the episodes whether its pirating or buying the blu rays and without it you can only hear the episodes but who would only want to listen to an episode anyway
Multitasking or like those books on tapes sort of thing. :P

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 am

Just wondering is this solely the audio not the actual video, we have to get integrate our kai edition into this because i downloaded the mk merger and both are audio tracks r they? NM forget about this comment lol also thank u .

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 am

Just wondering when u think u can finalize because u did first 3 saga finalize all near on the same time so i presume u done the majority?

Android-Trunks Saga (55-67)

Cell Saga (68-82)

Cell Games Saga (83-98)

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:19 am

Luffy123 wrote:Just wondering when u think u can finalize because u did first 3 saga finalize all near on the same time so i presume u done the majority?

Android-Trunks Saga (55-67)

Cell Saga (68-82)

Cell Games Saga (83-98)
The dates are slightly skewed because before I finalized the Frieza saga I made some last minute volume tweaks to the saiyan and namek saga. The android trunks saga should be done by this weekend, but I prefer not to hold myself to release dates.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Android-Trunks Saga is complete & finalized, uploading as we speak. There were a lot less tracks I needed to change than the Frieza saga, but I still made some significant changes.

My favorite is that I finally figured out how to get rid of the dumb "DEWD MAH TRUCK!" line that for some reason was put in to make it seem like the trucker survived. This is a saga where I put in a lot of silence in the latter episodes, since it's building to the cell saga.

I think I might be able to get the cell saga in the next week since I am on spring break, but don't get your expectations up.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 pm

There is a problem with the mega links, it won't let me access the revisions...

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:22 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:There is a problem with the mega links, it won't let me access the revisions...
having the same problem?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Sorry guys fixing now

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Sorry guys fixing now
Its alright

Luffy123

Post by Luffy123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Sorry guys fixing now
Lol thats algoods just was confused because it said it was done

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Just want to give you a heads up I'll probably get the cell saga up this weekend. I got most of them done but I've hit creator's block with episodes 80-82, but the rest I think have turned out fantastic. I made some much needed changes, particularly to 79.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Had that strike of inspiration last night to adjust one track in episode 8, i added a bit of a riff to the track playing when the saiyans arrive so that the timing of vegeta's pod opening and the track's shift matched.

I also added some clips to youtube for you to preview, link is in the original post.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont like Faulconer, but I still need to say you are doing a great thing. because Kai's more accurate dub needs to attract more old school DBZ fans and this will help a lot! Kudos!
Damn that means a lot, thank you! I completely agree about how more DBZ fans need to watch Kai, I see way too many stick with the old dub simply because of the music.
KBABZ wrote:I'm thinking of doing a similar project to this at some point, only I'd place the Kikuche soundtrack back in with the selection as heard in the original Z, rather than the replacement score for the DVDs. What were the challenges you faced during this project?
That would be brilliant because I'm sure a lot of people here would want that since the kikuchi track was poorly handled by Toei.

Honestly, there are a lot more challenges than I thought there would be when I first started doing this, it's partially tied to how you score the tracks (I used audacity to put in the tracks and watched the video at the same time to match the placement) as well as your own standards. A big issue for me was having exact placement of where I wanted them and more often than not I'd spend an hour or two just moving a track a 10th of a second just so that it was where I wanted and it synchronized. I also wanted to avoid having tracks be repetitive, meaning one track played more than once in an episode or played multiple times in consecutive episodes, as was the case in both the original Faulconer score and the Kikuchi replacement score of Kai. Partly why I liked Faulconer is that it had a wide variety of tracks for most circumstances, so I could easily avoid this problem.

Perhaps the biggest, though, is how far you'll want to go and how much time you'll want to divulge into this thing, because I'm sure you're aware projects like these can suck the life right out of you and you can get lost in doing this project while not investing enough time in your work and personal life, so time management is crucial as well as pacing yourself. And, you're going to want to set goals with what you'll consider a final product because otherwise you'll just leave something and keep coming back to it and it will never shape up to how you want it.

That's pretty much what I can think of off the top of my head, another one would be balancing original intent with creative intent. When I started this project I also wanted to be extremely faithful to the original score, but when you're watching the same episode a billion times with the track you begin to notice whether a track worked or it didn't in some cases. Nobody is perfect, and sometimes the original placement is flawed. It definitely is the case with Faulconer, and you may come to a point like me where you decide to take a bit of deviation in placement. It's hard to be 100% faithful when Kai is cut differently than the original score, not just in shortening sequences but also changing the placement of frames, the mood of a scene, pacing, etc.

Some technical challenges I ran into were loss of sound effects, which I managed to restore most thanks to audacity (using invert on the sound effect tracks, I can go more into detail on this if you want). Also, some re scores I noticed didn't bother re-adding lost "thought" or echo vocal tracks, but you can easily replace them with the echo function in audacity, or if you have something better use that and let me know because I'd like to know LOL (I use settings .075, .65 respectively. Not perfect but its better than nothing). Also, you gotta balance between how noticeable you want the track to be, because it can sometimes drown out the scene or be drowned out, so playing with that takes a bit too.

These are a bit unorganized, I know, but I just wrote these down as I thought of them. Hope this helps. There are probably more, but I'll need some coffee if I want to dig deeper
I would love to know how to restore some SFX because I hate having to remake some SFX

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: [WIP] Dragon Ball Z Kai: Bruce Faulconer Edition

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Sure! What I do take both the front and back left/right tracks, otherwise known as the surround tracks, make them into stereo so there's one front one back track. Then, I invert the back track and increase gain on it until it mutes the music as much as possible. Since kai audio isn't lossless, there are times where music can leak through but often enough it can be drowned out. This might be a problem for kikuchi since the style of kikuchi is more background than faulconer, so it may not work as well. It also only works for episodes 1-98, Funi decided to change their audio for the final chapters for some reason, and now it comes out in poor quality and the method doesn't work at all.