Nostalgia Critc's Dragonball Evolution Review

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Nostalgia Critc's Dragonball Evolution Review

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

So after years of fans begging like hyenas, Doug Walker is finally taking a gander at this thing. He teased it at the end of his review of The Mummy 2017. Oh, and it's going to be a crossover episode with MasakoX and LittleKuriboh: https://twitter.com/MasakoX/status/925794443512434688

So I'm looking forward to this. How about you guys?
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Nostalgia Critc's Dragonball Evolution Review

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm

I haven't watched anything Nostalgia Critic in years (The only tangentially-related NC stuff I watch is Brad Jones' stuff, and that's from his own site, not on thatguywiththeglasses) but I'm curious enough about seeing Masako and Little Kuriboh involved where I may give this review a look when it pops up. I know that Masako used to or still does have a page on thatguywith.

I think I lost interest in NC when the Walker brothers changed up the format (the idea of let's promote new talent is great in theory, but I think it would've been better as its own show instead), but then I heard they went back to the old one, but not fully, and by then I'd just moved on.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 pm

It's weird that he's going to review it personally(?), since I heard that he doesn't like Dragon Ball.

I think his friends did an earlier review of DBE.

Anyway, I can't wait to see if this will be another movie that breaks him. :D
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:I haven't watched anything Nostalgia Critic in years (The only tangentially-related NC stuff I watch is Brad Jones' stuff, and that's from his own site, not on thatguywiththeglasses) but I'm curious enough about seeing Masako and Little Kuriboh involved where I may give this review a look when it pops up. I know that Masako used to or still does have a page on thatguywith.

I think I lost interest in NC when the Walker brothers changed up the format (the idea of let's promote new talent is great in theory, but I think it would've been better as its own show instead), but then I heard they went back to the old one, but not fully, and by then I'd just moved on.
These days, he does tend to do reviews that are basically just like the old format alongside the newer-style stuff. I think he probably finds it more creatively fulfilling to switch up the format and try new things so he doesn't stagnate. IMO, it's pretty clear he's much more excited and happy to be doing all this than before the end of the original run.

He also does editorial videos, which are very cool to see.
Esfír Dedragón wrote:It's weird that he's going to review it personally(?), since I heard that he doesn't like Dragon Ball.

I think his friends did an earlier review of DBE.

Anyway, I can't wait to see if this will be another movie that breaks him. :D
The way I understand it, he simply never really watched it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I haven't watched anything Nostalgia Critic in years (The only tangentially-related NC stuff I watch is Brad Jones' stuff, and that's from his own site, not on thatguywiththeglasses) but I'm curious enough about seeing Masako and Little Kuriboh involved where I may give this review a look when it pops up. I know that Masako used to or still does have a page on thatguywith.

These days, he does tend to do reviews that are basically just like the old format alongside the newer-style stuff. I think he probably finds it more creatively fulfilling to switch up the format and try new things so he doesn't stagnate. IMO, it's pretty clear he's much more excited and happy to be doing all this than before the end of the original run.

He also does editorial videos, which are very cool to see.
Good to hear he found a format that works for him. I did enjoy watching his videos back in the day. The tweet in the first post doesn't mention when the review comes out, so I'll just keep an eye out for it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

I stopped watching when it became Demo Reel Critic rather than Nostalgia Critic. The skits went on way too long a lot of the time and were usually not very funny. Sometimes they worked, but mostly didn't. But I'll watch this anyways when it is out.

Also why isn't LK Freeza?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 am

I watch Doug Walker's NC on a regular bases and find him both a Very Clever and Very Talented person along greatly with is staff, family and fellow actors. When he knows what he is review, he can deliver Gold! He seems to be a Big Fan of Batman and DC Comics in general, so when he reviews them I know I am getting the insist of a fan's view.

However ~~~ I always felt Anime was NC's weak point.

His Review of Sailor Moon Dic Dub Review is My less favorite of his episodes cause he showed he knew nothing about the show and Anime Culture in General. Honestly he bombed it really bad and was grasping at straws to make with how he handled it. As a Sailor Moon Fan I Greatly was not happy with that review and can't watch it barely ever-since.

His Review with Bennit the Sage on Speed Racer was allittle better but still NC came off really not good in the review and again showed how much anime is not his field.

So I have mixed ideals about his Reviewing a this Movie, even one as Bad as DB:E, I am sure he will have to show that he gets where he went wrong before. Good thing and something I was hoping for is that MasakoX will be their for the review, that is awesome to have Goku's Voice their and he is a clever YTer himself and LittleKuriboh is Gold! They might help to keep him on a straighter path with this one in how to break it down.

Looking forward to this, saw the Tease at the end of his Mummy 2017 review and I just hope he does better with this. :think:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 am

On one hand, outside of the Sailor Moon Review he's never been that good with anime, and I don't really have that high hopes of him adding anything new to this review. On the other hand, it could be interesting to see a review of this movie from the perspective of someone who doesn't watch Dragon Ball, to show that this movie sucks more beyond just being a shit adaptation.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:01 am

He does not give a damn about being true to the original from what I have seen about his It reviews so he should luckily not be like the averga joe fan "OMG THIS IZ SO BAD IT IS NOTHING LIKE DRAGON BALL A TRUE DISGRACE TO HUMANITY IT SUXXORZ SO HARD!!!!!"
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:08 am

My curiosity is piqued. I always get a kick out of watching people trash DB Evolution... despite NC's current content not being as good as it used to be. That said, I like that NC isn't going to be doing this "review" by himself. Even if I agree with his opinion, NC can be pretty annoying to listen to sometimes. And when he's shitting on a movie I like using some nonsensical reasoning, like with his recent "review" of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie, then he's just obnoxiously irritating.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:38 am

I like Doug Walker, but sometimes his criticisms make no sense and he can be ignorant as well. He criticizes Willem Dafoe for being too over-the-top as the Green Goblin, when the Green Goblin is meant to be over-the-top. How does he want the Green Goblin to act like? Subtle? I'll gladly take Dafoe over Dane DeHaan any day of the week.

When it comes to the fight scenes, he says he likes that the locations in the newer films are kept simple, despite the fact that the big fights in the first Spider-Man movie take place in simple locations, like a burning building or an abandoned one.

He says that Tobey's Peter quits being Spider-Man because it's hard, ignoring the fact that he was losing his powers. I also don't like how he complains that Maguire is so awkward and quiet in the role that it's hard to imagine him as Spider-Man. Well that's the point. Peter Parker isn't supposed to be a guy that makes you think that he could totally be a superhero.

He also fails to mention that Garfield's relationship problems are literally his only problems. Tobey's best friend, who was well established and fleshed out as a character in the first movies, stops being his friend. He also worries about Aunt May not making enough money, as well as having his own financial problems and losing his job. He wants to do well in college, but he can't even get to his classes in time because he dedicates so much time to being Spider-Man. And last but not least, he's worried that he can't reveal his biggest secret to the person he loves the most.

Garfield, on the other hand, jumps at the first opportunity he has of revealing his secret to Gwen. He has no financial problems that we hear of, and most of his scenes with Aunt May are used for comic relief. As for his best friend, well, do I even have to mention this? They haven't seen or talked to each other in ten years, and suddenly they become best friends again? That'd be understandable if they were a little older, but Peter just graduated from college, and it seems kinda forced. Yes, Gwen's death is a big enough thing to make Garfield not want to be Spider-Man, but do they even act like it's a big thing? The issue is glossed over and there is barely any time dedicated to it, while Tobey's problems are the subject of a whole film.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I like Doug Walker, but sometimes his criticisms make no sense and he can be ignorant as well. He criticizes Willem Dafoe for being too over-the-top as the Green Goblin, when the Green Goblin is meant to be over-the-top. How does he want the Green Goblin to act like? Subtle? I'll gladly take Dafoe over Dane DeHaan any day of the week.
I think of Doug Walker as more of an entertainer than a legitimate film critic. Nostalgia Critic's "reviews" are more him making fun of a movie by any means necessary than properly deconstructing it, and outlining what worked well and what didn't. In nitpicking a movie to such a ridiculous degree for entertainment, Doug can often come across as petty and immature in his videos. Now whether that's mostly him paying the Nostalgia Critic character, or him letting his own biases influence his "reviews", we can't say for sure.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

I have not cared about CA after 2013. I stop watching the NC after 2014 and I rarely check out his new videos. I don't know why he has to team up with two other people to review the movie. You don't have to be a fan of Dragon Ball or anime to know that Dragon Ball Evolution is a bad movie. You had movie critics that review the movie when it came out and hated it when almost all of them never seen the show or read the manga.

I feel like Doug should review things on their own without doing some gimmick like doing crossovers. His Pokemon review was funny in my opinion because it's how a normal person would react to Pokemon without watching the show or playing the game. It was funny seeing how a person seeing the movie back in 1999 would react to something like Pokemon. It was bad enough when Thomas the Tank Engine fanboys (I'm surprise that these people even exist) attack him for his Magical Railroad review for not watching the show, but no one cared if he never play D&D when he review the Dungeons and Dragon movie or that he never like any of the Japanese Godzilla movies when he review the 1998 Godzilla film.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:56 am

Chuquita wrote:Good to hear he found a format that works for him. I did enjoy watching his videos back in the day. The tweet in the first post doesn't mention when the review comes out, so I'll just keep an eye out for it.
It should be this Tuesday's episode since he teased it at the end of his most recent review (The Mummy 2017).

My YouTube

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Kanassa wrote:On one hand, outside of the Sailor Moon Review he's never been that good with anime, and I don't really have that high hopes of him adding anything new to this review. On the other hand, it could be interesting to see a review of this movie from the perspective of someone who doesn't watch Dragon Ball, to show that this movie sucks more beyond just being a shit adaptation.
He review the show as its own thing. I feel like people should view things as their own piece of media without being a fan. He review movies based on books, video games and old TV shows without being a fan of them and yet people don't like it when he reviews a anime like Pokemon or Sailor Moon.
She/Her

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 pm

I dread this knowing his history with anime *cough*Sailor Moon*cough*. Seriously, Doug is not the guy to ask to review anime-related movies and especially an anime he never cared about and asked other people to do it in his place. But then again, others already barfed up every criticism in the "Nothing like the Anime" category for eight years like the movie killed their mother so all he got left is to say "This movie sucks" and that's it. It's not going to be like his Last Airbender review where he spent his time to watch the show and fully analyze why the movie failed.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Hey guys, the review is up early on the Channel Awesome website.

Here's the link:
http://channelawesome.com/dragonball-ev ... ia-critic/

Explain your thoughts after you're done watching.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 pm

I like NC, Masako and Kuriboh but this overexaggerated review was cringeworthy and worse than anything bad from the movie itself. And I hate how "diehard" fans treat it like a universal fact that adaptions that just take some ideas and have their liberties but also just some weird setting and acting in comparison to other movies are lucifer himself. I am a diehard fan of both The Last Airbender and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball for 20 years now with all 42 vols. read and the entire show watched and Avatar for ten years with the entire show on DVD and I still have both live action movies. But good that we are not on the internet with Dragon Balls fans that do treat their own view like a fa ... oh right.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

It was fine review. Pretty much what I expected as far as criticisms go. I'm kinda surprised at Masako's mess up with the whole "Goku hated fighting" line, though. Also, Doc Morgan and Joji Yanami are WAY better Narrators than Kyle Hebert IMO, but it was a gag so I won't complain. Overall, a solid review!

My YouTube

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:03 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I dread this knowing his history with anime *cough*Sailor Moon*cough*. Seriously, Doug is not the guy to ask to review anime-related movies and especially an anime he never cared about and asked other people to do it in his place
I feel like Doug should review a movie without the help of other people. I think these days, he is just doing crossovers and newer movies just to get views. The guy has ran out of ideas years ago.
She/Her