So my dragon ball Z Kai video got blocked.

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentaZX

So my dragon ball Z Kai video got blocked.

Post by KentaZX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

I've edited the Super Saiyan 3 Goku transformation scene from Dragon Ball Z Kai with different music and added reverb effects. But when I uploaded to youtube, I wanna say about 2-3 hours later, It got blocked by Toei Japan Entertainment for copyright infringement.

Now this is the first time I ever uploaded anything to youtube, so I have no idea how to actually get this resolved, anyone who dealt with this before can help me out get started? I've seen some other videos would say "suggested by Toei JP" in the description so I'm guessing I need to contact Funimation or Toei and ask permission?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: So my dragon ball Z Kai video got blocked.

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm

What was the point of your video? Was it literally just the scene itself? (That's what I'm guessing by the description you've provided, and what my response is predicated on.) If so:

Trying to skirt the copyright bots by editing the audio doesn't really make it transformative enough to even remotely considering using the fair use argument. You're not entitled to use or share that kind of material just because you want to, and the actual IP holders have every right to request a removal on it.

You can try to contact FUNimation or Toei over it, but it seems a little ridiculous to do so. There's no real reason for them to care much about your wanting to share a scene from the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KentaZX

Post by KentaZX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 pm

what I don't understand is that I've seen many other videos that uses the scenes from the show but edited different music in them as well, like this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW3s4X9XtY

I've seen many videos of showing different dragon ball/ Z/ kai/ super scenes with the music changed and they haven't got blocked. so I would say making a video like that was the point of my video.

however I've seen this and lot of others say there "suggested by Toei JP", so that makes me think I forgot to do something there before I submitted...or was i supposed to get my video approved by Toei first?

also if this helps at all, I wasn't trying to monetize the video at all or get ads in it either. It was just purely for fun.

TheDragonBallGuy75
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDragonBallGuy75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Did you try to give credit to Toe/Shueisha/FUNimation for your use of the scene? Judging from what you've said I can only assume this isn't the case.

Flipping the video so everything appears on the opposite side is also another option, as is changing the pitch of the music (but given the fact you've added reverb effects you probably don't want to do this).

All in all though, as VegettoEX himself has stated, if Toei/Shueisha/FUNimation don't want you sharing their IP, then you can't really hold it against them.
Someone asked me why I invest so much time into collecting Dragonball doujinshi.
I answered, "Because I don't see anyone else doing it".

My websites for all your Dragon Ball fan manga needs
http://www.dbfcscans.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/DragonBallGuy75
https://www.facebook.com/DB-Fan-Manga-309854729705080/
https://discord.gg/qc49vtB

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Crediting a rights holder in your video's description may give you warm squishies on the inside, but does absolutely nothing to protect you legally.

Doing additional work to skirt copyright detection bots like flipping the video -- in addition to what you already noted about editing the audio -- is another sure-fire way to get your video removed.

What's likely going on is that people uploading videos as-is are having them monetized by Toei. The videos, while still technically "illegal" to share, are being hand-waved by the rights holder and monetized because it at least still fairly and accurately represents the product. When you change the video or audio, it no longer accurately represents their product, and you can't hold it against them for not wanting that to be someone's impression of the show.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheDragonBallGuy75
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDragonBallGuy75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Crediting a rights holder in your video's description may give you warm squishies on the inside, but does absolutely nothing to protect you legally.

Doing additional work to skirt copyright detection bots like flipping the video -- in addition to what you already noted about editing the audio -- is another sure-fire way to get your video removed.

What's likely going on is that people uploading videos as-is are having them monetized by Toei. The videos, while still technically "illegal" to share, are being hand-waved by the rights holder and monetized because it at least still fairly and accurately represents the product. When you change the video or audio, it no longer accurately represents their product, and you can't hold it against them for not wanting that to be someone's impression of the show.
Clearly, you're far more knowledgeable on this subject than I, but surely KentaZX's video (based on his description) would fall under the 'transformative' purpose of Youtube's fair use policy and would technically be allowed? Of course, so long as Toei/Shueisha/FUNimation don't request a takedown notice, as they'd have every right to do.
Someone asked me why I invest so much time into collecting Dragonball doujinshi.

KentaZX

Post by KentaZX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Just for clarification, by "having them monitized by Toei", are you saying that Toei is making money off those videos, or just that Toei approved them to be monitized and those youtubers can make money off of them?

TheDragonBallGuy75
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDragonBallGuy75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 pm

KentaZX wrote:Just for clarification, by "having them monitized by Toei", are you saying that Toei is making money off those videos, or just that Toei approved them to be monitized and those youtubers can make money off of them?
The former, Youtubers have no right to be making money off content that isn't theirs to begin with.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 pm

TheDragonBallGuy75 wrote:Clearly, you're far more knowledgeable on this subject than I, but surely KentaZX's video (based on his description) would fall under the 'transformative' purpose of Youtube's fair use policy and would technically be allowed?
No, there's nothing substantially transformative about that to even remotely consider using fair use as a defense, especially considering all of its edits are being made to skirt copyright bots in the first place.

Simply editing something a little bit doesn't grant magical ownership or free legal rights!

TheDragonBallGuy75
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDragonBallGuy75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheDragonBallGuy75 wrote:Clearly, you're far more knowledgeable on this subject than I, but surely KentaZX's video (based on his description) would fall under the 'transformative' purpose of Youtube's fair use policy and would technically be allowed?
No, there's nothing substantially transformative about that to even remotely consider using fair use as a defense, especially considering all of its edits are being made to skirt copyright bots in the first place.

Simply editing something a little bit doesn't grant magical ownership or free legal rights!
Fair enough, makes you wonder how there are so many DB/Z/S/GT clips on Youtube then, some with millions of views.

KentaZX

Post by KentaZX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Thats the thing thats bugging me the most here. Though I didn't realize I was "Skirting copyright robots"....I was trying to do the same thing as someone making a dragon ball Z video with My hero Academia music (as mine does have) and that one wasn't blocked by toei and they suggested it.... So does that tells me I need to talk to Toei to get my video suggested in that case?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm

There's nothing for you to really "do" here. For whatever reason, the algorithms that YouTube has in place based on the identification fingerprints from Toei have determined that they don't want your video existing. The material wasn't yours to begin with, and while it was a nice little try, I'm sorry to say that's all there is to it.

BlasonAMV

Post by BlasonAMV » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello friend. I have a youtube anime related channel and I've encountered many times copyright issues.
If the video isn't edited enough, the bot will get.
Try extra cropping. It works. I haven't a problem since I did that.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm

TheDragonBallGuy75 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Fair enough, makes you wonder how there are so many DB/Z/S/GT clips on Youtube then, some with millions of views.
That's what I don't understand. You can go on YouTube and listen to whatever song you want from tons of people that are not the official uploaders for those songs. But I had a video get blocked the instant it finished uploading/processing once because it had a song in it. Funny things were I was going to trim that part out anyways since the song was just something I was listening to at the start of the video and wasn't actually part of the video, but I didn't even get time to do that before it got blocked. Also said song was a cover. Also said cover was being listened to on youtube! And the song is still up... (I did end up being able to fix it by just trimming that out like I had planned though.)

BlasonAMV

Post by BlasonAMV » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

I see.the truth is that the algorith not is unstable.
Do you need help with anything else my friend?

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Maybe just try to actually make content instead of posting someone else's work and slightly editing it hoping to get... views? I don't want to come of rude, but while others have... better luck I suppose... why bother uploading clips of the show in the first place? What's the end goal? I know youtube is a dumping ground for stuff already, of which maybe half a percent is truly something worthwhile (like DBZA for example) the rest is just... well basically garbage. Maybe it's better to just... make something actually cool and worthwhile? It's just advice, so do with it what you want, but just try to make something good and worth other people's time :o Please?

KentaZX

Post by KentaZX » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Well I wasn't doing it for the views, more for feedback and opinions, because my mindset (BEFORE my video got blocked, I posted this topic and read through the responses) was hoping to hear what people thought of my choice of songs, and how I replaced and edit the audio together as my little personal practice with adobe premiere, basically to hear if it sounded good, bad, or if there were improvements I could make, like a student showing a draft copy of an assignment to his teacher and/or classmates and asking for suggestions, and since I've saw others just basically copying and pasting entire episodes or untouched scenes, I thought it would be fine, fair use and all that.

THAT was my initial thought, as lame as it may be. But of course as VegettoEX explained to me:
Trying to skirt the copyright bots by editing the audio doesn't really make it transformative enough to even remotely considering using the fair use argument. You're not entitled to use or share that kind of material just because you want to, and the actual IP holders have every right to request a removal on it.
Now that should've been obvious enough and admittedly I didn't understand that at first, but later on I realized what transformative actually means, that there are been better ways to get opinions for it than to upload to YouTube, and that I shouldn't treat the site as a "dumping ground" just because there are others that do.

So I admit I was really stupid here. I apologize if this was a waste of time for you guys, but I do appreciate the responses so thank you for that.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 am

KentaZX wrote:Well I wasn't doing it for the views, more for feedback and opinions, because my mindset (BEFORE my video got blocked, I posted this topic and read through the responses) was hoping to hear what people thought of my choice of songs, and how I replaced and edit the audio together as my little personal practice with adobe premiere, basically to hear if it sounded good, bad, or if there were improvements I could make, like a student showing a draft copy of an assignment to his teacher and/or classmates and asking for suggestions, and since I've saw others just basically copying and pasting entire episodes or untouched scenes, I thought it would be fine, fair use and all that.

THAT was my initial thought, as lame as it may be. But of course as VegettoEX explained to me:
Now that should've been obvious enough and admittedly I didn't understand that at first, but later on I realized what transformative actually means, that there are been better ways to get opinions for it than to upload to YouTube, and that I shouldn't treat the site as a "dumping ground" just because there are others that do.

So I admit I was really stupid here. I apologize if this was a waste of time for you guys, but I do appreciate the responses so thank you for that.
Ey dude, that's cool and I really really like how you're taking this. Don't worry, there are so many people who just don't realize or just try to make money of of other people's stuff. I don't think anyone here will think bad of you for this :) It's a little less easy for other people to access, but you can upload things on google drive (if you have a gmail account) without the worry of copyright and still share it on sites for feedback :) Also don't let this stop you from experimenting in Premiere! Video editing is my job and just churning out stuff on a regular basis and trying to keep pushing yourself really helps making good stuff! :D