Screwattack's Top 10 Worst Dragon Ball Characters

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Screwattack's Top 10 Worst Dragon Ball Characters

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82PAdHOIuYI

Just wanted to put this here as wow...a lot of this list is really bad....like....a lot of it practically forsakes a characters value and personality for HOW CEWL THEY ARE N STUFF! I especially hate the number 1 cop out. If you want to say Gohan is the worst FINE. But don't cop out and try and separate adult Gohan from his younger years. They are the same character. It's cherry picking. It'd be like treating Kid Goku and Adult Goku as different characters.

-Garlic Jr I can get....but really you can find worse movie villains in the list.
-Cooler I can sorta get but out of everyone...there's really worst movie villains to pick from.
-Bio Broly definitely fits...though he technically is a different character from Broly....it's still pretty much Broly...so this may be a cop out answer too by not including all of Broly.
-Yamcha really has no business being on the list. He has plenty of character. Failure or not that doesn't change he has more of a personality than others do.
-Mr. Satan should not at all be on the list. Being an annoying character does not equal a bad character. A bad character is someone with little to no personality, and offers nothing to the series.
-Majoob....again...copout...Majoob is still Oob. So include Oob and don't cherry pick a form of Oob. That's like picking Super Saiyan 2 Goku as a single character.
-Pan I can get since most of her screen time is GT and yeah she is annoying early on, and really doesn't offer much anyways. A pick I can understand.
-Para Para brothers I don't think are that bad, but I think the choice is valid. They don't accomplish much and feel kinda like a padding group. If you don't like their joke, they get annoying probably for some.
-Funny how Chi Chi is someone they include as 1 character and not just cherry pick by separating Dragon Ball and Z Chi Chi like they have on this list. I can understand her being on the list, but I would say lower because her earlier self was more likable, and she still has some personality unlike some other characters.
-And Adult Gohan...the king cherry pick. How he's the worst character compared to his little brother Goten who practically offers nothing. Worse than the blandest of movie villains as a character I have no idea.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Screwattack's Top 10 Worst Dragon Ball Characters

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

“There are characters that people generally just kind of hate”

I didn’t know Cooler, Mr. Satan, and Gohan were among characters that people hated.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm

What an awful list seriously screwattack you put Adult Gohan #1 when they are worse character than him.
    Mr Satan and Yamcha did not deserve to be in that list.

nickzambuto
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:31 pm

This list was written by the type of fans who have Janemba as one of their favorite villains.

sunsetshimmer
    I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Terrible list. You can already tell that the only thing this guy expect from DB is fighting, screaming, shaking planets, destroying everything around etc.
    Also, he seems to prefer 11yo old kid being forced to fight rather than seeing adult man having peaceful life making things he actually love.
    The bad side of community. Very bad side.

While i agree that Garlic and Bio Broly are were bad, every other character on this list is awesome imo.

EDIT: Okay i just checked other videos. The ones about DB and the ones about games. This channel is another pure generic crap like WatchMojo. You can guess like most of choices by just reading a title.
    "I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Zephyr
    I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty bad list.
    dbzfan7 wrote:-And Adult Gohan...the king cherry pick. How he's the worst character compared to his little brother Goten who practically offers nothing.
    This is the first time I've given "who are the worst DB characters?" any real thought, but I think I'd actually probably put Goten at, or around, the top. Like you said, he's pretty much a "nothing" character. That's not a problem on its own, these kinds of characters are often made. Goten's problem is that he's a nothing character who's given undue spotlight and prevalence. He doesn't have a very distinct personality, and he doesn't develop at all over the course of the one arc of which he's a part; and he's largely alone in that regard, among the rest of the main characters of the arc. He's a background character masquerading as a main character.

It feels like he was only created to be a surrogate Goku-looking character in Goku's absence, and serve as a foil for Trunks. Unfortunately, he had Goku's appearance with none of the endearing or entertaining personality quirks that create the appeal of a Goku-surrogate in the first place. He didn't serve as much of an interesting foil for Trunks, because although he was certainly someone for Trunks to talk to (and that's a good way to organically integrate exposition) he seemed to just go along with everything Trunks wanted to do, so their interactions weren't the source of any tension or humor (their fight at the tournament was fun, though, to be fair). Even when they fuse, Gotenks feels more like an amped up Trunks than anything remotely affected by Goten's presence.

And yet he's treated with magnitudes more importance than pretty much any other "nothing" character in the series. He's the main character's second son, so he's not going anywhere. He's regarded as being very important for the survival of the planet after Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are thought to be out of commission, so we know he's ostensibly incredibly gifted and useful and important. The problem is that these are attributes don't make up for a bland and stagnant personality, so any time he is used, it feels like he might as well not be.

I almost think you could remove Goten from the equation altogether, and the resulting "Trunks vs Evil Buu" fight could have hit the same narrative beats, character interactions, and absurdity: Piccolo having to coach a spoiled undeservedly-overpowered overexcited child, who is the last hope of the universe against a silly bubblegum monster but isn't taking it remotely seriously.

And that's just the original manga. Post-manga, he's moved to the "backseat character" spot, like so many previously-notable characters do. Goten's a relatively unique case, however, in that he might as well have already been there this whole time. Like Chaozu!

I'm sorry, Lemmy. Please don't hurt me. :P

dbzfan7
    Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Zephyr wrote:Yeah, that's a pretty bad list.
    dbzfan7 wrote:-And Adult Gohan...the king cherry pick. How he's the worst character compared to his little brother Goten who practically offers nothing.
    This is the first time I've given "who are the worst DB characters?" any real thought, but I think I'd actually probably put Goten at, or around, the top. Like you said, he's pretty much a "nothing" character. That's not a problem on its own, these kinds of characters are often made. Goten's problem is that he's a nothing character who's given undue spotlight and prevalence. He doesn't have a very distinct personality, and he doesn't develop at all over the course of the one arc of which he's a part; and he's largely alone in that regard, among the rest of the main characters of the arc. He's a background character masquerading as a main character.

It feels like he was only created to be a surrogate Goku-looking character in Goku's absence, and serve as a foil for Trunks. Unfortunately, he had Goku's appearance with none of the endearing or entertaining personality quirks that create the appeal of a Goku-surrogate in the first place. He didn't serve as much of an interesting foil for Trunks, because although he was certainly someone for Trunks to talk to (and that's a good way to organically integrate exposition) he seemed to just go along with everything Trunks wanted to do, so their interactions weren't the source of any tension or humor (their fight at the tournament was fun, though, to be fair). Even when they fuse, Gotenks feels more like an amped up Trunks than anything remotely affected by Goten's presence.

And yet he's treated with magnitudes more importance than pretty much any other "nothing" character in the series. He's the main character's second son, so he's not going anywhere. He's regarded as being very important for the survival of the planet after Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are thought to be out of commission, so we know he's ostensibly incredibly gifted and useful and important. The problem is that these are attributes don't make up for a bland and stagnant personality, so any time he is used, it feels like he might as well not be.

I almost think you could remove Goten from the equation altogether, and the resulting "Trunks vs Evil Buu" fight could have hit the same narrative beats, character interactions, and absurdity: Piccolo having to coach a spoiled undeservedly-overpowered overexcited child, who is the last hope of the universe against a silly bubblegum monster but isn't taking it remotely seriously.

And that's just the original manga. Post-manga, he's moved to the "backseat character" spot, like so many previously-notable characters do. Goten's a relatively unique case, however, in that he might as well have already been there this whole time. Like Chaozu!

I'm sorry, Lemmy. Please don't hurt me. :P
    I couldn't agree more. Even in GT while they try to give him like a more dating obsessed type persona, Trunks has the same characteristic as well. So he basically just shares what Trunks has again. Trunks just was out in space and doing a bunch of things that took up his time. Otherwise he'd just be like Goten in that regard. I mean you could really just cut out Goten, and probably give that screen time to like Mr. Satan and Boo. Instead of Goten and Trunks it's Gohan and Trunks to mirror the previous arc and that relationship. Piccolo could deal with Trunks as the only hope left when it comes to that. Boo could probably be depowered so the story can work better in this context so fusion isn't needed yet. Gohan can come back and if we're sticking with Kid Boo, he is the only one who gets absorbed and then Vegetto can happen. Then the rest can happen.
    Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

fadeddreams5
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Adult Gohan = #1 most disappointing character, hands down. Worst, however? That's a stretch. I'd personally put him in my top 10 worst, but only because I'm that much more of a fan of his younger counterpart and feel he could have developed into a much, much better character. That said, he'd be in the bottom of the top 10. I agree that Goten is the worst.
    "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

BlueBasilisk
    I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 pm

People hate Mr. Satan? :eh:

TheGodfather93
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am

Wow. I didn't really need another reason to dislike Screwattack any more than I already do, but they've just gone and given me one. Thank you TC for summarising their list here, as it saved me from having to watch the video myself. I only skimmed through the part about Gohan, who is my favourite character, but even that was hard to watch. Personally, I had no problems with how "adult" Gohan (who's technically a teen) turned out, as it made sense to me. He never liked fighting, and after having been forced into life or death battles with literal monsters at an age where most kids still didn't know how to wipe their own asses, it's understandable that he gave up on that life. Even then, it's not as if he became a complete weakling in the Boo arc. It wasn't until RoF and the first 2/3 of Super that he became a complete joke fighting-wise. Character-wise, he was a much better family man than his father and Vegeta, and if you were to apply real life standards to the show, he'd be a pretty successful adult. But going back to the Boo arc, I also enjoyed his Saiyaman persona a lot - it was great seeing Gohan having fun, being goofy, yet still doing his best to help people in any way he could. I doubt I'd like Gohan anywhere near as much if he became a Goku clone, a typical battle-thirsty Saiyan, or something like this.

I've long since accepted that for a lot of fans of this franchise, the only thing that matters is the fighting, and how strong someone is. To these people, anyone not training constantly to fight the next new threat, or anyone not at a certain level of power, is a joke, or a "shit" character. And yet, I still can't help but get annoyed whenever people crap on Gohan for how he was in the Boo arc for nonsensical reasons, or because they can't live out their power fantasies through him.

Also, why the hell is Cooler on that list? He was one of the best movie villains imo, even though the standards weren't that high to begin with. He was certainly a lot better than Broly, who should've been on the list as himself, and not just his Bio-Broly version.
    If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

BrolyKale
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:Also, why the hell is Cooler on that list? He was one of the best movie villains imo, even though the standards weren't that high to begin with. He was certainly a lot better than Broly, who should've been on the list as himself, and not just his Bio-Broly version.
    Why'd you put Broly himself on that list?
    Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TheGodfather93
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 am

BrolyKale wrote:
    TheGodfather93 wrote:Also, why the hell is Cooler on that list? He was one of the best movie villains imo, even though the standards weren't that high to begin with. He was certainly a lot better than Broly, who should've been on the list as himself, and not just his Bio-Broly version.
    I don't think he brings anything to Dragon Ball other than enormous muscles, loud screaming, and spiky golden hair - and there are plenty of characters in this franchise that do that, but are more interesting and add something to the story. I also find him dull and one-dimensional, and compared to some of the other villains in the franchise, his motive is just silly. His design is cool, and the first Broly movie wasn't bad, but that's all he has going for him. If his appearance had been restricted to just Movie 7, I wouldn't have anywhere near as much of an issue with him, but the second Broly movie really highlighted his flaws as a character. As for Bio-Broly... well, that was a whole other level of trainwreck.

This are just the issues I have with his portrayal in the movies, which I assume the Screwattack video was based on (the anime too, but Broly wasn't in that). My issues with his portrayal in video games are a whole other story that I don't really want to get into, so I'll just touch upon them briefly. It annoys me how Broly gets shoehorned into every Dragon Ball video game these days and is given special treatment because of how absurdly popular and marketable he is.

This is all just my opinion though. If you disagree, then that's completely understandable.
    If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Adult Gohan = #1 most disappointing character, hands down. Worst, however? That's a stretch. I'd personally put him in my top 10 worst, but only because I'm that much more of a fan of his younger counterpart and feel he could have developed into a much, much better character. That said, he'd be in the bottom of the top 10. I agree that Goten is the worst.
    I'd say Gohan as a whole is one of the worst due to how inconsistent his character arc is.

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

Wait, so non-canon characters are bad JUST by being non-canon?
    When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
    FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
    - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ShadowBardock89
    Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

Any list like this that does not include Bacterian loses credibility in my book.
    http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
    http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
    https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

BrolyKale
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
    BrolyKale wrote:
    I don't think he brings anything to Dragon Ball other than enormous muscles, loud screaming, and spiky golden hair - and there are plenty of characters in this franchise that do that, but are more interesting and add something to the story. I also find him dull and one-dimensional, and compared to some of the other villains in the franchise, his motive is just silly. His design is cool, and the first Broly movie wasn't bad, but that's all he has going for him. If his appearance had been restricted to just Movie 7, I wouldn't have anywhere near as much of an issue with him, but the second Broly movie really highlighted his flaws as a character. As for Bio-Broly... well, that was a whole other level of trainwreck.

This are just the issues I have with his portrayal in the movies, which I assume the Screwattack video was based on (the anime too, but Broly wasn't in that). My issues with his portrayal in video games are a whole other story that I don't really want to get into, so I'll just touch upon them briefly. It annoys me how Broly gets shoehorned into every Dragon Ball video game these days and is given special treatment because of how absurdly popular and marketable he is.

This is all just my opinion though. If you disagrkee, then that's completely understandable.
    You don't like his motivation? the baby crying thing? tbh I think that's just a misconception, the movies never suggested that Broly hated Goku because he cried.

Here check this out for more info http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread ... skin=oasis

I don't think he is one of the worst characters, he is good for a movie character.
    Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TheDipDap1234
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. Even in GT while they try to give him like a more dating obsessed type persona, Trunks has the same characteristic as well. So he basically just shares what Trunks has again. Trunks just was out in space and doing a bunch of things that took up his time. Otherwise he'd just be like Goten in that regard. I mean you could really just cut out Goten, and probably give that screen time to like Mr. Satan and Boo. Instead of Goten and Trunks it's Gohan and Trunks to mirror the previous arc and that relationship. Piccolo could deal with Trunks as the only hope left when it comes to that. Boo could probably be depowered so the story can work better in this context so fusion isn't needed yet. Gohan can come back and if we're sticking with Kid Boo, he is the only one who gets absorbed and then Vegetto can happen. Then the rest can happen.
    Actually, he was like that at the EoZ as well, GT just expanded it and they did a good job with it imo, I liked Goten like that.

About Screwattack's list.. what can I say that hasn't been already said. It's pretty bad.
    Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Kid Buu
    I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:36 am

I say current Gohan. He is a waste of potential that the comic built up for him. Getting into his character now is like getting into Sonic after Sega went 3rd party.
    Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Jackalope89
    Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm

I long ago gave up on Screwattack. Particularly when it comes to Dragon Ball characters. Like Majin Buu losing to Kirby. Or 18 randomly having the ability to absorb energy because it was in a single game at one time. Or spreading misinformation around about characters like Superman and what not.

So them royally botching a Dragon Ball character list is no surprise to me.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:47 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
    TheGodfather93 wrote:
    BrolyKale wrote:Why'd you put Broly himself on that list?

This is all just my opinion though. If you disagrkee, then that's completely understandable.
    You don't like his motivation? the baby crying thing? tbh I think that's just a misconception, the movies never suggested that Broly hated Goku because he cried.

Here check this out for more info http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread ... skin=oasis

I don't think he is one of the worst characters, he is good for a movie character.
    I agree, Broly would of been a lot more developed if he had his own saga. Also if anything I always thought the stereotype for DBZ was that the more hairstyles you got the stronger you are. I never got the whole "Z is nothing but muscles" thing really.