All Systems Goku (Giant Bomb side podcast)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

All Systems Goku (Giant Bomb side podcast)

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am

So, a new Podcast about Dragonball has come out.

The basis of Podcast is that two people with very little knowledge of Dragonball watch the series for the first time.

Two episodes are out so far
https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/all- ... 1600-2218/
https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/all- ... 1600-2230/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: All Systems Goku

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am

For a little bit of context:

The podcast is hosted and produced by Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb, a video game website (one that Jeff co-founded following a messy dismissal from GameSpot many years back). In addition to tons of other content like the popular "Quick Looks" at games, Giant Bomb hosts its own regular video game podcasts (namely Giant Bombcast as the flagship show, and later Giant Beastcast as the East Coast show with all of the respective editors out there). Jeff is in California and Dan is in New York. Both (particularly Jeff) have had cursory familiarity with the series for decades due to its video games (preview coverage, reviews, etc.). The recent release of Dragon Ball FighterZ, and it being a good video game, inspired them to finally go and actually check the series out.

They're watching Dragon Ball Kai at the pace of a few episodes per week (as of right now, 1-3 / 4-6, and jumping up to five episodes next). They make it extremely clear that they don't know the series, and it is not presented as if they are an authority on it. It's a genuine, fun, semi-blind look at the series and its story, and attempting to piece together what they think they know about the series with everything new they learn from watching it.

For me, it's been fascinating hearing people make obvious connections with no real baggage... things like what "Saiyan" looks like it should be pronounced as, that Kami seems to be God, etc.

You know that I don't recommend Dragon Ball content willy-nilly, but I 110% recommend this show as a delightfully fun time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: All Systems Goku (Giant Bomb side podcast)

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Seconded, the Giant Bomb guys are really funny and this is such a good blind look into the series. It's funny how their predictions manage to be pretty on the ball while not accurate enough to make it seem as if they're looking ahead or that the story is predictable. For instance, they pretty much nailed that Goku would return to save someone in a critical moment, but assumed it would come at the end of a race between the Z Warriors and the Saiyans to gather the Dragon Balls.

Starting from the Saiyan saga is unfortunate since they're missing out on a fair bit of vital backstory, but that's more a problem with Kai than anything else. It's still arguably the best version they could have gone with, since I doubt they'd have the patience for all of Z's filler, plus they seem to be watching primarily in English so they're getting the better dub.

I am so glad they've already bumped up to five episodes as it a) shows they're having a good time and b) means we get more to talk about each week.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Thirded.

It's a great listen. What other podcast has newbies researching name puns and source material?! It's so much fun, and their observations are genuinely hilarious.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Your reminder that this podcast is A Good Thing. Loved the detour into wrestling talk this week and whether Vegeta counts as a Stone-Cold esque cool heel with Freeza as Vince McMahon.

Also, apparently they're watching this on the Kai Blu Rays? Damn. Took me forever to collect those in Australia since Kai's practically non-existent here and the Blu Rays are out of print.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Do they have the Final Chapters Blu-Rays as well?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 am

I assume they are going all the way through, TFC included. Those Blu Rays are actually easy to get a hold of because they're fairly new. I'd still like to know how Jeff and Dan got a hold of the original Kai ones. Or are they just more ubiquitous in America?

As a Krillin fan, their praise for him these last couple of episodes makes me smile. Also interesting how despite being newcomers to the franchise and having almost no outside influence, they've already adopted a lot of the "standard" fandom takes: Vegeta is the coolest, Goku is a bad dad, Yamcha is a loser, etc. But there's just enough uniqueness like Jeff's gushing over Dr Briefs or the adoration of Yajirobe and Gregory (and hoping they get more screentime; yeah, bad news about that...) to make it enjoyable.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I love listening to this podcast so much. The way they talk about Vegeta just murdering everything makes me laugh my ass off. It's so cool hearing what newcomers think of the series. Really glad that they're watching Kai instead of Z.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Bummer that they're taking next week off due to Dan being on vacation, these have become the highlight of my monday every week.
­

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Should have began with original dragon ball. Granted, I'm still going through my own rewatch and trying to figure out which dub is better where (I recently finished episode 39. I personally found Funimation's dub better than Blue Water's for all of those episodes...though honestly if it weren't for some major inconsistencies I would have recommended the BLT dub for ep 1-13. Insinuating that Roshi is only attracted to elderly women in a somewhat non-pervy way is fairly problematic when even the Toonami edit of Funi's dub doesn't keep that change.) Of course the Japanese is the best, but the podcast format will probably work better when the audio from the show is the same language as the podcasters themselves.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Should have began with original dragon ball.
They are going with the part of the franchise that is most represented in FighterZ (which is where their interest in the franchise began). Just sit back and enjoy the podcast for what it is.
Plus, the wrestling references crack me up.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm

I knew their interest would slump during the Goku portion of the Freeza fight. At least they're watching Kai and not the original.

Also, they've made a lot of off-hand comments and predictions that are kind of hilarious in hindsight given where the series is now. Like "oh, I'm sure Freeza's never coming back." That would be funny enough based on Mecha Freeza alone, but it takes on a whole new level given how Super ended. Also, I think a previous episode had them speculating on whether Kaioken would ever be stacked with Super Saiyan and whether or not Ginyu would come back. Although I completely forgot Frog!Bulma was still in Kai and that they would have to talk about that.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Apparently they also forgot Ginyu was in FighterZ.
Still, I can feel their hype for the next group of episodes.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm

I've been listening to a few of these. Their utter disgust with Yamcha has me in tears from laughing so hard :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm

For those of you still following along they're watching an additional two episodes next week to take them through to Kai's original episode 98 ending next week. Wonder if they're planning on taking a break before Boo or something.
­

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

The way they seague in the wrestling jokes just absolutely murders me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although it does annoy me when they completely forget little details and get confused for no reason.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 pm

With the Cell saga wrapped up, they're taking a hiatus for now, with some special episodes hinted at before they resume. There's been mutterings on Twitter about the possibility of a guest appearance by Chris Sabat, so that could be fun. Has anyone told them that he plays Vegeta AND Yamcha? I hope not because I want to hear that reaction on the podcast.

EDIT: Also, the best part about this last episode was them having finished the Cell saga trying to go over all the extraneous stuff they know about through FighterZ and general osmosis but haven't encountered in the show. Jeff thinks Broly is an attempt to replicate 90s Attitude era in Dragon Ball that has only just now become canon, and also that he sounds super lame. He is correct on all counts.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am

Ah man, it's finished (for the time being). I'm really keen to hear their thoughts on the Buu arc since it's my favourite. Love this podcast and I can't wait for it to return.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 pm

I kind of wish when they hopefully return and finish the Buu arc, they also watch the DBZ TV Specials and relevant movies to FighterZ (Movies 5, 8, and 10 for sure. Movie 11 is "iffy.").
Who knows? Maybe they'll watch Super (if they do, maybe someone can recommend they watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F instead of the first two arcs of Super to save time).

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I kind of wish when they hopefully return and finish the Buu arc, they also watch the DBZ TV Specials and relevant movies to FighterZ (Movies 5, 8, and 10 for sure. Movie 11 is "iffy.").
Who knows? Maybe they'll watch Super (if they do, maybe someone can recommend they watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F instead of the first two arcs of Super to save time).
Well the two arcs change a lot of things from the movie continuity and so I wouldn't recommend they watch the movies and then the rest of Super because things wouldn't fit very well.