Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Legacy Re-cut (BD-Hi10 4:3 1080p)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Legacy Re-cut (BD-Hi10 4:3 1080p)

Post by Masquerade » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

"Oh boy, another one of these?"

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Dragon ... t/id/59304

I'll admit my reasoning's a little different as it's a bit more dub-centric. Have nostalgic feelings for the original FUNimation dub but think the pacing’s too slow / voice acting’s too stilted / or the script’s awkwardly translated? Like the tightness in pacing and superb voice acting of Kai but miss the Bruce Faulconer score, some of the old voice actors who unfortunately didn’t return, too distracted by the MS Paint-like replacement animation, or even think that some of the cuts in Kai were too abrupt and missed some of the more endearing filler here and there?

This is the Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Legacy Edition Re-cut…my feeble attempt at making a “perfect” version of DBZ.

Video:

- The Saiyan Saga uses the footage from the tragically discontinued “Level” Blu-Ray Sets from 2011. Namek onwards will mix footage from from the recent Spanish Selectavision set and Kai, color-corrected and with other slight tweaks to make the footage as seamless as possible in 1080p. Although not edited as much as Kai, there's still enough cut where the pacing reflects that of OG Dragon Ball (which in my opinion is perfect).

Audio:

- The Saiyan and Namek sagas’ soundtrack consist mainly of a Faulconer re-score, as well as some Nathan Johnson placements. The Ginyu / Frieza Sagas onwards will be entirely Bruce Faulconer. However, I do retain the openings, endings, and insert songs from the Japanese OST. And yes...there's moments of silence in the Bruce score this time.

- Voice acting will be an equal combination of both FUNimation’s 2005 revision and the Kai dub, however I will retain some character’s V.O.'s from the original (mainly Bulma, Gohan, and Android 18).
Episodes finished so far:

SAIYAN SAGA (Complete)

01 - The Arrival Of Raditz
02 - Reunions
03 - Unlikely Alliance
04 - Gohan's Rage
05 - No Time Like The Present
06 - Gohan's Metamorphosis
07 - The Strangest Robot
08 - Terror On Arlia
09 - Goz & Mez
10 - Princess Snake
11 - Plight Of The Children
12 - Pendulum Room Peril
13 - The End Of Snake Way
14 - Counting Down
15 - A Black Day For Planet Earth
16 - The Saibamen Strike
17 - The Power Of Nappa
18 - Time's Up!
19 - The Return Of Goku
20 - Lesson Number One
21 - Goku Vs. Vegeta
22 - Saiyan Sized Secret
23 - Spirit Bomb Away!
24 - Mercy

NAMEK / GINYU SAGA

25 - A New Goal... Namek?
26 - Plans For Departure
27 - Journey To Namek
28 - Friends Or Foes? (W.I.P.)
29 - Planet Hell (W.I.P.)
30 - Brood Of Evil (W.I.P.)
31 - The Ruthless Frieza
32 - Namek's Defense
33 - Escape From Dodoria
34 - Collision Course
35 - The Past And Future
36 - Zarbon's Surprise
37 - Guru's Gift
38 - Vegeta Revived
39 - A Heavy Burden
40 - Immortality Denied
41 - Hidden Power
42 - Elite Fighters Of The Universe... The Ginyu Force
43 - Time Tricks & Body Binds
44 - The Nightmare Recoome (W.I.P.)
45 - Goku... Super Saiyan? (W.I.P.)
46 - Ginyu Assault (W.I.P.)

BTW, if anyone wants to do the almost impossible task of making a Japanese track to this cut using both Z Broadcast Audio and Kai JP sources, be my guest.
Last edited by Masquerade on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Legacy Edition Re-cut

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm

This looks really interesting. Will you keep Chris Ayres as Freeza?

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:This looks really interesting. Will you keep Chris Ayres as Freeza?
- Linda for form 1, Chris for forms 2 thru 4 (including cyborg Frieza).

- Nadolny is Gohan up till the last minute of Goku's Ordeal (if you think I'm cutting the driving episode, you're nuts). Being the massive pain it would be to replace all of Gohan's lines in the Cell saga, I'm naturally using the 3-year time skip to switch to Clinkenbeard's Gohan.

- Vollmer stays as Bulma up to the end of the Cell Games. Will get switched to Monica's Bulma for the Buu Saga (natural time skip, blends better with DB Super). McCoy stays as 18 all the way.

- Cell / Clarke will shout "Oh shit!" during the final flash scene.

- Buu Saga's Cell Games Reenactment will be the semi-unaired TeamFourStar version.

- The following filler remains: 1/2 of Saiyan Saga filler, Goku getting shots / training while injured, "Friend Or Foes?", "Unexpected Problem," Frieza attacking Guru's lookout, The Garlic Jr. Saga (having cyborg Frieza show up immediately after his "death" in the manga & Kai always felt awkward to me), "Goku's Ordeal," Other World Tournament Saga, and 3/4 of Great Saiyaman filler. All other filler is excised, including all unnecessary flashbacks and stare-downs (post-Trunks will basically be a 1:1 ratio cut with Kai barring minor exceptions).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 pm

I would think you’d do the opposite for Clinkenbeard and Nadolny. I get why but I think Nadolny is at her best in the Cell Games

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I would think you’d do the opposite for Clinkenbeard and Nadolny. I get why but I think Nadolny is at her best in the Cell Games
It's still up in the air. I could keep Nadolny all the way through, but the level of editing needed to do so for the Cell Games is gonna suck.

However, being I'm keeping most of the recaps the way they are, it might be better off if I do keep Nadolny. I'm at war with myself here.

Raijinsou

Post by Raijinsou » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 am

Masquerade wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I would think you’d do the opposite for Clinkenbeard and Nadolny. I get why but I think Nadolny is at her best in the Cell Games
It's still up in the air. I could keep Nadolny all the way through, but the level of editing needed to do so for the Cell Games is gonna suck.

However, being I'm keeping most of the recaps the way they are, it might be better off if I do keep Nadolny. I'm at war with myself here.
Please keep Nadolny please? All great works must have sucked in the beginning but it was worth it in the end. And I think the majority would thank you for it, I know would!

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Episode 17 - The Power Of Nappa is now up.
Raijinsou wrote:
Masquerade wrote:

Please keep Nadolny please? All great works must have sucked in the beginning but it was worth it in the end. And I think the majority would thank you for it, I know would!
I give in. Nadolny it is.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm doing a similar project, except for a few differences. For one, I'm using the dbz season blu rays combined with the kai dub. I'll be correcting a few editorial errors and attempting to make multiple English soundtrack choices. One will be entirely the Kai Kikuchi score, one will be a mostly Faulconer score but re-tooled so the music placement is more appropriate.

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro, and I think creating a Japanese soundtrack would be easy. You'd load the audio from the japanese track and edit it simultaneously with the english track. When you get to the point of exporting the episodes, you export it twice, once with the Japanese tracks muted, once with the English tracks muted, at least that's how I THINK it would work.

Good luck on your project. How do you plan on sharing your creation with the world?

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Dagon wrote: Good luck on your project. How do you plan on sharing your creation with the world?
Several episodes have been uploaded to the web already. I can't link to exactly where, but I say where at the bottom of this post: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Dragon ... t/id/59304

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Masquerade wrote: Several episodes have been uploaded to the web already. I can't link to exactly where, but I say where at the bottom of this post: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Dragon ... t/id/59304
Found it. I'll definitely check it out.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Heh, and here I am having not worked on The First Chapters in ages (Dragon Box w. Funi audio edited like Kai). Should probably get back on it after finishing Lego Dimensions. And Shadow of the Colossus. And Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. And Superhot. And...

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am

Wow, I've wanted to see someone do a project like this for a while! Little disappointing that your not going to use Ares for the whole time but other than that this looks great! Best of work on your work!
Hi, I'm "Dragon Ball Super English Dub" (Weird name huh)
YouTube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-T-d ... DJdMCUUJyg
My current project is- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44656
Discord- https://discord.gg/vQ8V8z

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Episode 18 - Nimbus Speed currently encoding to .mkv and should be up by tomorrow.

For the next episode, I wanna to have Vegeta yell "It's over 9000!" in an over the top manner, but in order to do so I need to know what the name of this Yamamoto backing track is so I can successfully separate the vocals.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Masquerade wrote:Episode 18 - Nimbus Speed currently encoding to .mkv and should be up by tomorrow.

For the next episode, I wanna to have Vegeta yell "It's over 9000!" in an over the top manner, but in order to do so I need to know what the name of this Yamamoto backing track is so I can successfully separate the vocals.
That would be "An Outcome-Switching Recovery": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGbUAx8hZU

If you wouldn't mind, could you DM me the separated dialogue once you've done it? I may have some use for it myself.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:25 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Masquerade wrote:Episode 18 - Nimbus Speed currently encoding to .mkv and should be up by tomorrow.

That would be "An Outcome-Switching Recovery": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGbUAx8hZU

If you wouldn't mind, could you DM me the separated dialogue once you've done it? I may have some use for it myself.
Same here, I'd like to reinsert "over 9000" into my kai faulconer edit if that's ok, and I haven't been able to isolate that dialog.

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Episode 19 - Goku's Arrival will be up shortly.

BTW, looks like I miscalculated in my edit. The "Over 9000" line will be in the very beginning of the next one.

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Small Update:

Due to my incompetence when it comes to encoding, I only just realized the benefits of exporting in 10-bit. All episodes released so far will be replaced by 10-bit encoded files. This may delay the release of the next one by a couple weeks, but I think it's worth it for the best A/V quality possible.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:37 pm

You can get that line from Burst Limit, with a similar pronunciation, and being from a game it's surely available without any BGM.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

SupaSandwich

Post by SupaSandwich » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Masquerade wrote:"Oh boy, another one of these?"

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Dragon ... t/id/59304

I'll admit my reasoning's a little different as it's a bit more dub-centric. Have nostalgic feelings for the original FUNimation dub but think the pacing’s too slow / voice acting’s too stilted / or the script’s awkwardly translated? Like the tightness in pacing and superb voice acting of Kai but miss the Bruce Faulconer score, some of the old voice actors who unfortunately didn’t return, too distracted by the MS Paint-like replacement animation, or even think that some of the cuts in Kai were too abrupt and missed some of the more endearing filler here and there?

This is the Dragon Ball Z: Legacy Edition Re-cut…my feeble attempt at making a “perfect” version of DBZ.

Video:

- The Saiyan Saga uses the footage from the tragically discontinued “Level” Blu-Ray Sets from 2011. Namek onwards will use footage from the R2 Dragon Box: upscaled to 1080p and color corrected to look as much like the Level Sets as possible. Although not edited as much as Kai, there's still enough cut where the pacing reflects that of OG Dragon Ball (which in my opinion is perfect).

Audio:

- The Saiyan and Namek sagas’ soundtrack consist mainly of a Faulconer re-score, as well as some Nathan Johnson placements. The Ginyu / Frieza Sagas onwards will be entirely Bruce Faulconer. However, I do retain the openings, endings, and insert songs from the Japanese OST. And yes...there's moments of silence in the Bruce score this time.

- Voice acting will be an equal combination of both FUNimation’s 2005 revision and Kai dub up until the Android Saga. From there it’ll be primarily Kai, however I will retain some character’s V.O.'s from the original (mainly Bulma and Android 18).

[spoiler]Tech Bits
Video: 1080p h.264 [MKV]
Audio: 2.0 Stereo FLAC (English Revision)
File Size: 750mb to 1.1gb
Run Time: 23:50 to 25:20[/spoiler]

Episodes finished so far:

SAIYAN SAGA

01 - The New Threat
02 - Reunions
03 - Unlikely Alliance
04 - Gohan's Rage
05 - No Time Like The Present
06 - Day 1
07 - The Strangest Robot
08 - Terror On Arlia
09 - Goz & Mez
10 - Princess Snake
11 - Plight Of The Children
12 - Pendulum Room Peril
13 - The End Of Snake Way
14 - Counting Down
15 - The Darkest Day
16 - Saibamen Attack!
17 - The Power Of Nappa
18 - Nimbus Speed
19 - Goku's Arrival
20 - Lesson Number One (W.I.P.)
21 - Goku Vs. Vegeta (W.I.P.)

BTW, if anyone wants to do the almost impossible task of making a Japanese track to this cut using both Z and Kai JP sources, be my guest.
Hi new here, I was wondering where I can watch your hard work of this project you're on now. I when to your OriginalTrilogy.com trend but I can't seem to find a link for it. I know you can't share it here on the forum but you can PM me the episodes if you want. Thanks a billion! :)

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 am

Episode 20 - Lesson Number One will be up shortly.

Slight dip in sound quality for the "Over 9000" line; but considering my source was some CGI fan-video (this is the only time I'll ever resort to that kind of thing), I tried.