Dragon Ball Youtubers: What are your opinions on them?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Youtubers: What are your opinions on them?

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 08, 2018 11:26 am

Asura wrote:I'm not taking him too seriously, I simply don't find it funny at all. It's obviously made for both comedy and ridicule but it fails on both fronts IMO. It comes off as a lot more obnoxious than funny.
Well, there's a simple solution for you.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

All I said, was if he would just limit the whole "But Masako!" schtick to 1 every 3 episodes or so, I would be good. Because I enjoy his videos, then he suddenly does that thing. Then I just cringe, because it was just so unnecessary, broke the flow of dialogue he had going, and I doubt ANYONE was thinking that.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm

All I know is I cannot stand that Dragon Ball Dissection guy. Geekdom and Masako are great and played a big part in revitalizing my interest in Dragon Ball.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Lupin Vegeta wrote:All I know is I cannot stand that Dragon Ball Dissection guy.
Well, can't win 'em all, I guess. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Lupin Vegeta wrote:All I know is I cannot stand that Dragon Ball Dissection guy. Geekdom and Masako are great and played a big part in revitalizing my interest in Dragon Ball.
Yeah, fuck that guy. With his "Bloomas" and his "Yamcha's character was assassinated" nonsense.

He even says "Geh-ro." What even is this weab shit.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:"Yamcha's character was assassinated" nonsense.
Probably my main gripe with him. :lol:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 am

Lupin Vegeta wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:"Yamcha's character was assassinated" nonsense.
Probably my main gripe with him. :lol:
Gaffer tape is mistare fusion.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

I only really watch 3 DB Youtubers,

MistareFusion (Not Really a DB Youtuber, just what he's best known for)
Ajay
TFS (Not a huge fan anymore, just watch them out of habit more than anything else, kind of outgrew their brand of humor.)

I just don't think any other DB Channels really bring anything interesting to the table save for a few. Most of them are just discussions or them just spouting off their opinions with very little analysis or just very boring and bland rhetoric. Its the type of discussions I can have with my friends, and very rarely do any of these personlaities ever offer anything more thoughtful or insightful than an average r/dbz post. But if that's your thing, I can totally see why channels like Masako, Blackenfist and Quaaman appeal to you. Also, like was previously mentioned, it's a pain everytime Herms translates something new and my feed gets flooded with recommendations of the same news video over and over. Very little originality in the original content department as well. "What if this happened" "So and So vs So and So" "Top 10 W/E". It's just the same content regurgitated over and over with a new coat of paint each time. There are a few exceptions though like Gaffer Tape who does bring a very educated and much more literary approach to the series than anyone else I've seen. Geekdom is a great channel too if you're just getting into the series, but for more seasoned vets I feel he offers very little (although once in a while he will drop some tidbits even I didn't know). But even though I don't necessarily like most of these channels I do admire and respect the effort that goes into them. I especially appreciate the work they put into creating a much more positive and educated community, that alone makes them not a waste of space in my opinion.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 am

Lupin Vegeta wrote:All I know is I cannot stand that Dragon Ball Dissection guy. Geekdom and Masako are great and played a big part in revitalizing my interest in Dragon Ball.
Thanks! Lance is cool tho!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Lupin Vegeta wrote:All I know is I cannot stand that Dragon Ball Dissection guy.
All the power to you dude, we just have completely opposing views on Dragon Ball and what makes it great.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 am

Lupin Vegeta wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
All the power to you dude, we just have completely opposing views on Dragon Ball and what makes it great.
He and I disagree on Last Jedi a lot.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Man, almost no love for my man, Prince Vegeta (Except from Geekdom101). Does everyone here on Kanzenshuu care about character channels?
Caulifla best girl! :)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 pm

MarCas92 wrote:I only really watch 3 DB Youtubers,

Ajay
TFS (Not a huge fan anymore, just watch them out of habit more than anything else, kind of outgrew their brand of humor.)

I just don't think any other DB Channels really bring anything interesting to the table save for a few. Most of them are just discussions or them just spouting off their opinions with very little analysis or just very boring and bland rhetoric.
This is my stance, except I still really enjoy TFS.

The content that everyone else puts out lies somewhere between Herms regurgitation at best and unacceptable levels of misinformed at worst. If you read the interviews on Kanzenshuu, listen to the podcast, and then check out MistareFusion & Ajay, you're not missing anything. If you're really into the DB Youtube scene for the hot takes, you'll save a lot of time by just going to Twitter.

Well, there's one thing missing. I feel like the Dragon Ball Super manga doesn't receive acceptable coverage by anybody, not even Kanzenshuu.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 pm

batistabus wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:I only really watch 3 DB Youtubers,

Ajay

I just don't think any other DB Channels really bring anything interesting to the table save for a few. Most of them are just discussions or them just spouting off their opinions with very little analysis or just very boring and bland rhetoric.
This is my stance, except I still really enjoy TFS.

The content that everyone else puts out lies somewhere between Herms regurgitation at best and unacceptable levels of misinformed at worst. If you read the interviews on Kanzenshuu, listen to the podcast, and then check out MistareFusion & Ajay, you're not missing anything. If you're really into the DB Youtube scene for the hot takes, you'll save a lot of time by just going to Twitter.

Well, there's one thing missing. I feel like the Dragon Ball Super manga doesn't receive acceptable coverage by anybody, not even Kanzenshuu.
Geekdom does review it when each chapter becomes available.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Geekdom does review it when each chapter becomes available.
While his manga videos are the only ones I tend to tune in for, I'm not really satisfied with them. They boil down to a play-by-play summary, followed by basic reactions and "some people might feel ____ about this". While I don't expect anyone to do it on the level of MistareFusion, I'd like a little more substance and meta-talk.

I guess that's fine for someone who's only casually interested in the DBS manga, but as it's my main interest in terms of Super as a whole, I'd like a little bit more.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 pm

batistabus wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:Geekdom does review it when each chapter becomes available.
While his manga videos are the only ones I tend to tune in for, I'm not really satisfied with them. They boil down to a play-by-play summary, followed by basic reactions and "some people might feel ____ about this". While I don't expect anyone to do it on the level of MistareFusion, I'd like a little more substance and meta-talk.

I guess that's fine for someone who's only casually interested in the DBS manga, but as it's my main interest in terms of Super as a whole, I'd like a little bit more.
Thanks for the advice! I will take this into account and go deeper, but remember, I'm doing them AS they come out. Lance has the benefit of knowing the end of the DB manga. Here I can only say "i hope it gets better" vs knowing if it does or doesn't!

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm

batistabus wrote:I'd like a little more substance and meta-talk.

I agree 100% I wish we could get more substantial discussion out of these manga chapters. But is that really possible? I don't think most fans read the DBS manga, so I don't think content creators are incentivized to put that much effort into those videos. Another thing is that due to the culture of YouTube, it's always a freakin rat race to try to get the review out as soon as possible so usually, you won't get anything more than just a 1st impression and light speculation. They don't really digest the chapter and just try to put a video out ASAP. Not that there is much to analyze anyway. It's just a chapter. Apart from the art, there really isn't anything to really dissect outside the few moments that advance the narrative and new tidbits of information.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 am

MarCas92 wrote:
batistabus wrote:I'd like a little more substance and meta-talk.

I agree 100% I wish we could get more substantial discussion out of these manga chapters. But is that really possible? I don't think most fans read the DBS manga, so I don't think content creators are incentivized to put that much effort into those videos. Another thing is that due to the culture of YouTube, it's always a freakin rat race to try to get the review out as soon as possible so usually, you won't get anything more than just a 1st impression and light speculation. They don't really digest the chapter and just try to put a video out ASAP. Not that there is much to analyze anyway. It's just a chapter. Apart from the art, there really isn't anything to really dissect outside the few moments that advance the narrative and new tidbits of information.
Maybe if we give it a while to let it marinate?

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
Maybe if we give it a while to let it marinate?

Of course that would always help. Having more time to analyze and organize your thoughts always makes for a better discussion. But it’s just a chapter. And it’s not like OP where every panel has something to dissect. The DBS manga is already very simple and straightforward . I was only making the point that making Chapter discussions/reviews is already a very limiting format that won’t allow for as much depth as an entire story arc. I think most chapter reviews that come out (including yours) are fine the way they are. I just don’t think anyone should expect anymore from then content wise.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 am

Geekdom101 wrote:Maybe if we give it a while to let it marinate?
I didn't mean to call you out specifically. What you do seems to work for you and your audience, and what I'm looking for isn't really suited to a chapter-by-chapter hot take format. If you're asking my advice, I say keep doing what you're doing, but when the Universe Survival arc is over, re-read the whole thing in one shot and do an arc review like you do with the anime.