DBZ Kai SFX Restoration (Resource, EP 1-98)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

DBZ Kai SFX Restoration (Resource, EP 1-98)

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm

While working on my faulconer score I ended up discovering a method to restore some sound effects that were lost in the process. I found out that making the back l/r and front L/R tracks into stereo, inverting the back, and matching it to a certain gain would significantly cancel out music. Unfortunately I wasn't able to cancel it out entirely, but with music playing over it the bleed through should be minimal. In explaining this step to others, I also remembered that the inversion process can be a nightmare since sometimes the backtrack's inverted track can cancel out the sound effects in the center track, which meant you had to go over each and every part and painfully invert the sound effects that were cancelling each other out.

So, in effort to save those who seek to rescore kai the pain and annoyance and multiple instances of frustration I have experienced, I am going to share with you the restored SFX files I have in FLAC format. As of the time this topic was posted I do NOT have them all up, but I should have them all shortly for you.

The restored sound effects are mixed in with the sound effects that are standard musicless. There are also a few instances were I added new SFX which I ripped from the blu ray Z audio, which is usually air sounds since I added silence that wasn't in kai before. I might add to these

Three things I have to caveat, though.
A. I did not restore all sound effects as sometimes the music bled through too much or the inversion process was just too much of a bitch.
B. The leftover music may bleed through more on non-faulconer tracks, since Faulconer tracks are so overpowering, so you may have to do more adjustments
C. The Kai Into theme "dragon soul" and the 2nd closing credits "believe" have been muted since I didn't use those for faulconer. If you wish to restore those, simply take the stock front l/r tracks, stereo them, and mute everything except for the credits and the opening theme, then mix the two into one file.

Without further ado, here you go --> https://mega.nz/#F!qvRD3ZrJ!lUAxBgkGOgjpSj6IOF4gYw

When the faulconer re-score is done, I may go further in restoring SFX by further using the blu-ray audio from Z on my own free time, abliet this will not be something I'll be upkeeping regularly since I aim to take a backseat to edits for dragon ball. If anybody has further suggestions on pure SFX restoration for kai though, feel free to contribute.
Last edited by Diccolo-420 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Kai SFX Restoration (Resource)

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:While working on my faulconer score I ended up discovering a method to restore some sound effects that were lost in the process. I found out that making the back l/r and front L/R tracks into stereo, inverting the back, and matching it to a certain gain would significantly cancel out music. Unfortunately I wasn't able to cancel it out entirely, but with music playing over it the bleed through should be minimal. In explaining this step to others, I also remembered that the inversion process can be a nightmare since sometimes the backtrack's inverted track can cancel out the sound effects in the center track, which meant you had to go over each and every part and painfully invert the sound effects that were cancelling each other out.

So, in effort to save those who seek to rescore kai the pain and annoyance and multiple instances of frustration I have experienced, I am going to share with you the restored SFX files I have in FLAC format. As of the time this topic was posted I do NOT have them all up, but I should have them all shortly for you.

The restored sound effects are mixed in with the sound effects that are standard musicless. There are also a few instances were I added new SFX which I ripped from the blu ray Z audio, which is usually air sounds since I added silence that wasn't in kai before. I might add to these

Three things I have to caveat, though.
A. I did not restore all sound effects as sometimes the music bled through too much or the inversion process was just too much of a bitch.
B. The leftover music may bleed through more on non-faulconer tracks, since Faulconer tracks are so overpowering, so you may have to do more adjustments
C. The Kai Into theme "dragon soul" and the 2nd closing credits "believe" have been muted since I didn't use those for faulconer. If you wish to restore those, simply take the stock front l/r tracks, stereo them, and mute everything except for the credits and the opening theme, then mix the two into one file.

Without further ado, here you go --> https://mega.nz/#F!qvRD3ZrJ!lUAxBgkGOgjpSj6IOF4gYw

When the faulconer re-score is done, I may go further in restoring SFX by further using the blu-ray audio from Z on my own free time, abliet this will not be something I'll be upkeeping regularly since I aim to take a backseat to edits for dragon ball. If anybody has further suggestions on pure SFX restoration for kai though, feel free to contribute.
I like the fact that you kept the eyecatch and ending music in, saves me some time
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Kai SFX Restoration (Resource)

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:47 pm

There are one or two episodes I had to edit the eyecatch out and splice it in a separate track simply because the yamamoto score would play right away, so be aware. Plus, it's only the credits from episodes 1-54 that I kept, credits from then onward you'll have to just splice in by silencing everything else in the track and merging.

I should have episodes 1-82 up tonight, I may end up doing tweaks to 83-98 while I'm working on my tweaks to the cell saga.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Kai SFX Restoration (Resource, EP 1-98)

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 pm

When will you have 83-82 up?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:30 pm

uploading the cell games saga now, sorry i completely forgot about this

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:uploading the cell games saga now, sorry i completely forgot about this
Its all good.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Any chance you have episodes 99-167?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Jesta' wrote:Any chance you have episodes 99-167?
Nope, the method used to restore sfx for Kai 1.0 does not work for 2.0

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Any chance you know where you can find episodes 99-167 without music?

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 am

Jesta' wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
Any chance you know where you can find episodes 99-167 without music?
Simply rip the original 5.1 audio from the video and open that in either vegas or audacity, center channel is sfx and VO only

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 pm

This is a cool concept. Wish this was applied to Super lol. All the Super Sfx kill me.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Hey, I had some free time and I decided to try and see if I could rip the OST in buu kai (EP 122) using a similar method you're using. I ended up accidentally restoring some of the sfx. It's not perfect, definetly not as good as your attempt with Kai 1.0, but it's better than nothing. (I'll link my attempt later)
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote:Hey, I had some free time and I decided to try and see if I could rip the OST in buu kai (EP 122) using a similar method you're using. I ended up accidentally restoring some of the sfx. It's not perfect, definetly not as good as your attempt with Kai 1.0, but it's better than nothing. (I'll link my attempt later)
Looking through this again it definitely isn't as good as your restoration but I thought it was worth the shot. Here it is, it's an mp3 (320 kbps) file so it's lossly not lossless.
Edit: just so everyone knows I didn't clean this up, I just did the method and hit "export"
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 pm

I went to go download this and for whatever reason only the first episode is available to download. Did Toei get to it?
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 am

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 pm I went to go download this and for whatever reason only the first episode is available to download. Did Toei get to it?
Oof this is a problem. My project's in a bit of a standstill without these.

jrose1234

Post by jrose1234 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 am

I love the SFX Restoration of DBZ Kai. The Original DBZ Sound Effects are my Favorite. The Majin Buu's Angry Explosion Sound Effects are from Episode 236. Some Sound Effects are used, some of them are rare to find and rip Them with all the Music Tracks and Voices in the Way.

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:37 am

Hey there, hope it's not too late to bring this thread back from its way into the grave, but I was curious if it'd be possible to reupload these restored SFX audio files? I'm working on a rescoring project with Kai for myself and thought to use these, but I realized I'd only downloaded the audio for episode 5 a while back. If you still have them, OP (or anyone who might be reading), that'd be awesome, but I totally get if you don't at this point, lol; worst-case, I could give the method you described above a try. Thanks!

DarkRuler7

Post by DarkRuler7 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am

Hi there, can someone please reupload the sfxes?? best regards, darkruler7