Jim Lee (DC Comics Artist/Editor) Draws Son Gokuu.

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Jim Lee (DC Comics Artist/Editor) Draws Son Gokuu.

Post by lancerman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 am

It's fine for what it is. He drew it off the cuff in his style without much reference. It would look very different if it was for a commissioned work. That said Jim Lee's seen better days. He's still one of the most technically sound artists the industry has ever seen. Also I think years of everyone trying to rip him off has finally left an opening for those who had their own distinct style. Nowadays I prefer Greg Capullo, but I don't know if he'd be the best to draw any of the Dragon Ball characters. If you were going to do a Dragon Ball in a Western comic format maybe a Frank Quitely. He's distinct enough to be a departure from Toriyama, but his fluid style would be excellent for fight scenes.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am

JazzMazz wrote:
GTx10 wrote:That Tate picture Jacob provided is terrible. Vegeta looks slim, and like a bouncy-ball. While Goku's face and hair look odd his body looks like the typical Comic book superhero body. Also yay cracks against Yamamuro! So original... >_>

If anyone could draw Son Goku in this style better step up to the plate otherwise stop being so mean guys.
I feel like your criticism of the images JulieYBM most aren't real criticisms and don't really have much basing to them. Your kind of ignoring the intent of the artwork and just saying, it looks stupid, which is a really shallow method of criticising artwork.
I'm basically saying the Tate Drawn SSB Vegeta looks bad because Vegeta looks like jelly instead of a properly drawn character.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:35 am

GTx10 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
GTx10 wrote:That Tate picture Jacob provided is terrible. Vegeta looks slim, and like a bouncy-ball. While Goku's face and hair look odd his body looks like the typical Comic book superhero body. Also yay cracks against Yamamuro! So original... >_>

If anyone could draw Son Goku in this style better step up to the plate otherwise stop being so mean guys.
I feel like your criticism of the images JulieYBM most aren't real criticisms and don't really have much basing to them. Your kind of ignoring the intent of the artwork and just saying, it looks stupid, which is a really shallow method of criticising artwork.
I'm basically saying the Tate Drawn SSB Vegeta looks bad because Vegeta looks like jelly instead of a properly drawn character.
But, he doesn't look like jelly. Like at all. Just because his more loosely defined in the picture linked, doesn't mean he looks like jelly. That's not to say there aren't occasions when Tate gets too loose with the characters(usually because his rushed), but this certainly isn't one of those occasions. There is nothing particularly gelatinous about how Vegeta is drawn in that frame, his a very clearly and correctly defined.