MaSTAR Media (Should we talk about this?)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

MaSTAR Media (Should we talk about this?)

Post by successoroffate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:07 pm

I think things have gone too far with that channel. I've seen the comments specially in the recently released fan film of his (which I think is total garbage) and I'm starting to get worried. There's some people that go as far as saying that Toriyama is going to have to redo the whole movie because of the "High quality and plot of the fan film." Hell, there are reaction videos to the fan film. The guy has a patreon account set up meaning we have another case of someone making money at Dragon Ball's expense. Last year, I made a post complaining about Clickbait and Dragon Ball on Youtube. The guy went from 300,000 subscriber around the time DBSuper was around episode 74 to over a million today. One of his videos has over 20 million views. I just can't believe how can Clickbait get you that far.

My question is: Am I the only one having a problem with this?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MaSTAR Media (Should we talk about this?)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 pm

You havent explained who this person is and why should we be worried.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You havent explained who this person is and why should we be worried.

By know, I assume some people knew who he was. MaSTAR Media: He's a Content Creator (Youtuber). Most of his content is based on Dragon Ball. Clickbait, tracing, all the red flags you can think of. He made a fan film out of the teaser for the new Dragon Ball Movie. The Fan Film is called Origin of the Saiyans. I have a problem with misinformation and Clickbait specially with Dragon Ball.
-----
-----

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:38 pm

There's not really much we can do about it as much as it sucks. Just hope that people realize that there are better content creators out there, and move on. The best opyion would be making a video exposing this guy's traced animation, but unless it's from a big and influential channel like Ajay or Geekdom, nobody is going to pay attention to it. And I doubt they would ever do a video on some other youtuber.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 pm

The guy was getting criticized pretty heavily a few months (or even a year?) back for his tracing (which wouldn't be an issue if he didn't profit off of it AND he credited each animator he's tracing over), but now everyone was rightfully calling him out before is turning a blind eye to him because apparently he's actually a chill dude to talk to? Who the fuck cares? That kind of cowardly behavior is disgusting; you don't ignore scummy behavior because the person doing it might be a decent guy.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:The guy was getting criticized pretty heavily a few months (or even a year?) back for his tracing (which wouldn't be an issue if he didn't profit off of it AND he credited each animator he's tracing over), but now everyone was rightfully calling him out before is turning a blind eye to him because apparently he's actually a chill dude to talk to? Who the fuck cares? That kind of cowardly behavior is disgusting; you don't ignore scummy behavior because the person doing it might be a decent guy.
I agree with you both. It's hard to do something keeping in mind how many followers he has. This is going to sound awful but I'm sure his followers would take anything that MaSTAR media posts as absolute fact and whatever comes from Kanzenshuu they would take it with a grain of salt.
-----
-----

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 am

Pregnant Vados, Super Saiyan Blanco! Mystic Namekian BOOK OF NAMEKS Piccolo Dragon Ball fans make me sick. MaSTAR is just a rotoscoping excuse for an animator. Casuals show me the videos and I scene for scene explain where he has taken this animation from or that animation from. The casuals don't care they just want Preggers Vados and evil Archangels. RetroRyno now that is a quality animator in the anime community who deserves MaSTARs following.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:36 am

This appears to be more about an individual fan than it is anything about an effect on the larger, official product. As such, it's being moved to the "Fan-Created Works" section.

Knowing next to nothing about who this person is, I would caution you all to be sure your criticisms are based in reality and can be backed up. If they're as "big" as you say, then no, you as an individual probably can't "do" much about it. Support the people you like by spreading the good word and being your own decent person and fan.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Um... What should we be worrying about, exactly? That people like this guy's crappy Dragon ball Animation?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

There is nothing more to be said that hasn't already been covered in the past on this forum, twitter, and youtube videos. Complaints about him tracing have already surfaced through communities.

And yet he's still here. If toei or companies aren't going to take action, and if he's still gaining support, then you have no choice but to deal with the situation. It's not that you're the only person who thinks this, it's just that people move on or don't care about him or the situation enough to escalate beyond sharing their complaints on a forum.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm

To quote Richard Williams: 'Straight rotoscoping is just boring and unconvincing. Live action reference should be a source of information, not just tracing photographs.'

If this MaSTAR Media just traces other animators' work (was he the guy that did that 'Saiyan Rangers' video or whatever?), then they are a sham and should not be given any credibility. However, I am not overly familiar with their work and do not want to accidentally give them traffic/ad revenue in the process of learning. Are they subtle about their supposed copying or do they not care?

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm

People who praise this kind of animation are probably just some 14 year old kids who also invent OC's who can go Super Saiyan 56. Who else would care to have their names "for all eternity" in this guy's videos? Nothing to be serious about.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 am

Kanassa wrote:Um... What should we be worrying about, exactly? That people like this guy's crappy Dragon ball Animation?
That he's gaining incredible amounts of fans and money from tracing countless hard-working animators' work. His latest video (an incredibly cringeworthy attempt to predict the plot of the upcoming DBS film) was packed to the brim with traced work and scenes taken right out of the movie trailer – and it got nearly 7 million views!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 am

Firebolt wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Um... What should we be worrying about, exactly? That people like this guy's crappy Dragon ball Animation?
That he's gaining incredible amounts of fans and money from tracing countless hard-working animators' work. His latest video (an incredibly cringeworthy attempt to predict the plot of the upcoming DBS film) was packed to the brim with traced work and scenes taken right out of the movie trailer – and it got nearly 7 million views!
Yeah, people liking lazy crap is something that has been happening since the dawn of the industry. Not really anything to worry about, especially since the facts are out there and easily available.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

successoroffate wrote:I think things have gone too far with that channel. I've seen the comments specially in the recently released fan film of his (which I think is total garbage) and I'm starting to get worried. There's some people that go as far as saying that Toriyama is going to have to redo the whole movie because of the "High quality and plot of the fan film." Hell, there are reaction videos to the fan film. The guy has a patreon account set up meaning we have another case of someone making money at Dragon Ball's expense. Last year, I made a post complaining about Clickbait and Dragon Ball on Youtube. The guy went from 300,000 subscriber around the time DBSuper was around episode 74 to over a million today. One of his videos has over 20 million views. I just can't believe how can Clickbait get you that far.

Firebolt wrote:
I don't see the problem. He's offering free entertainment and not demanding financial compensation at all. What he gets is from deals with the plaform he is on due to the traffic he generates (for example youtube) or through voluntary donations (patreon). That's what guys like Teamfourstar also get, who also heavily rely on the original footage and art of the series to provide their entertainment. And yet, I don't see people having a problem with Teamfourstar. We might not like him because he lies about his methods of tracing and such, but that's not really the core of the relevant issue. Also, we might not like that so many people like him but, again, that's not the core of the relevant issue.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am

rereboy wrote:
successoroffate wrote:I think things have gone too far with that channel. I've seen the comments specially in the recently released fan film of his (which I think is total garbage) and I'm starting to get worried. There's some people that go as far as saying that Toriyama is going to have to redo the whole movie because of the "High quality and plot of the fan film." Hell, there are reaction videos to the fan film. The guy has a patreon account set up meaning we have another case of someone making money at Dragon Ball's expense. Last year, I made a post complaining about Clickbait and Dragon Ball on Youtube. The guy went from 300,000 subscriber around the time DBSuper was around episode 74 to over a million today. One of his videos has over 20 million views. I just can't believe how can Clickbait get you that far.

Firebolt wrote:
I don't see the problem. He's offering free entertainment and not demanding financial compensation at all. What he gets is from deals with the plaform he is on due to the traffic he generates (for example youtube) or through voluntary donations (patreon). That's what guys like Teamfourstar also get, who also heavily rely on the original footage and art of the series to provide their entertainment. And yet, I don't see people having a problem with Teamfourstar. We might not like him because he lies about his methods of tracing and such, but that's not really the core of the relevant issue. Also, we might not like that so many people like him but, again, that's not the core of the relevant issue.
But, that is exactly the core of the relevant issue, he traces stuff from Dragonball and other series', claims its his original work a lot of the time, and then profits of it.

That's my basic understanding of the problem people have with him.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:23 am

JazzMazz wrote: But, that is exactly the core of the relevant issue, he traces stuff from Dragonball and other series', claims its his original work a lot of the time, and then profits of it.

That's my basic understanding of the problem people have with him.
The core of the relevant issue is him "making money off the franchise by using its original art and footage".

In that regard, like Teamfourstar, he just makes the money that people want to give him through stuff like patreon, and the money that he generates through youtube thanks to the views he creates. Furthermore, he creates his entertainment by using the original art and footage from the series (copying it and tracing it), which is also basically what Teamfourstar does (the footage of their episodes is practically all just edited footage from the series with their fan dub. They don't really create their own footage, they just use the original and edit it).

So, in terms of the relevant issue ("making money off the franchise by using its original art and footage"), there's basically no difference.

The only difference is him lying about tracing and claiming to be original. That would be like Teamfourstar saying that they are using only footage entirely made by them. But, even if we don't like that, it really has nothing to do with "making money off the franchise by using its original art and footage". That's just about being honest or not, and nothing else. And as for his popularity, that obviously also has nothing to do with it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 am

rereboy wrote:

Firebolt wrote:
TeamFourStar doesn't profit directly from their Abridged series.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am

Doctor. wrote:
rereboy wrote:

Firebolt wrote: That he's gaining incredible amounts of fans and money from tracing countless hard-working animators' work. His latest video (an incredibly cringeworthy attempt to predict the plot of the upcoming DBS film) was packed to the brim with traced work and scenes taken right out of the movie trailer – and it got nearly 7 million views!
TeamFourStar doesn't profit directly from their Abridged series.
From my understanding, neither does this guy. As the OP stated: "The guy has a patreon account set up meaning we have another case of someone making money at Dragon Ball's expense". Well, Teamsfourstar also has a patreon: https://www.patreon.com/tfs . And he has a youtube channel, which Teamfourstar also has.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33 am

rereboy wrote:From my understanding, neither does this guy.
Yes, he does. His videos have ads.