Fan Works Explosion

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:All right, then! Let's see here . . .
Rory wrote:Well, its not exactly a drawing.. but I adobe stuff a lot

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/zi ... deaone.png

Theres an avatar I made for a (maybe) upcoming website me and my mate Ads might make, if we gets some moneys! XD
I appologise if this is only for drawings.
EDIT: By the way, SSj Kaboom, thems some good drawin's!
Taking images from another source and arranging them in a new way is still art. This might not be a drawing, but it's still fun to look at. Which version of Adobe do you use?
I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0, I'm glad you like my Banner :)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:54 pm

I guess I better chime in too.

A Gohan
A Goku
A Vegeta
A Gotenks

And there's more in the rest of my gallery. Not that I suggest you look - its rather depressingly lame after looking at AnnouncerGuy's gallery.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:30 pm

Desiré, your concepts are pretty good! I like the Vegeta one. :) But... his right arm is messed up... so... yeah...

My stuff from an older thread.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/138/fuk3fk.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1975 ... opy8fq.jpg
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:43 pm

I like Desiré's Vegeta one and Steve's Super DBZ one, keep up the good work guys!
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:33 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:My god, we're entering the generation of no manners....

Time to advertise myself. I know if you were actually interested in my art you'd just click my sig link but I like to think I'm important sometimes. Humor me.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36590520/
my entry for the gamepro contest that never was
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38070445/
Gohan and Piccolo pic of which I am moderately proud
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40303421/
My most recent Gokuh done at 3 AM on tablet. I'm getting pretty good with that thing actually.

Oh, and by the way Kaboom, awesome work! I envy your originality.
... :shock:

Please sir, I'd like some more!

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:39 pm

Why isn't this a sticky? :?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:43 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:It was personal. I had to send a check to someone for a commission and decided I'd decorate the envelope for her so it'd seem less boring. And I sure hope she likes it enough to keep it someplace safe... I mean, yeah, I scanned it before I sent it off, but still... D:
Oh, so you scanned it?

Duh. I should have thought of that. Especially since I work to preserve just about every damn thing I've ever drawn.

It's an illness. Every drawing I've ever sent, recieved or just made for practice has a place in my bedroom. I'm talking things that have been around since grade school. Even when it comes to the horrible stuff from years back, I find it impossible to throw a drawing away.
KinoFourpaws then wrote:A-heh, well, I tried doodling the hand at first and it really WAS crappy. I fixed the thing up after I wrote that on there (had to use my had as reference) and I just didn't erase the message when I was done. And, uhm, I'm a bit of a perfectionist about that kinda stuff, too...
Don't feel too bad. Hands are probably the most difficult of all parts of the body to render on paper.

They can have just as many expressions as any face, and it's damn hard to get them all down. I can remember some years ago when I realized just how difficult it was to draw really good, believable hands, and for about a year I practiced their different poses (and drew nothing else) to get the proper feeling for hand expression.

It still requires my patience to get it right.
KinoFourpaws afterwards wrote:These actually look really good for mouse drawings. I know it's really tough to draw with a mouse, so I have to give extra kudos to you for managing it so well. I particularly like how you did these without any black lines; it makes the colors pop out so much more and you did a good job drawing the characters without any lineart. The shading's pretty good, and the lighting effects you put on the two of them are cool, too. This is nice work! I'd like to see what you've done by hand when you get your scanner fixed.
If only! I'm so much better with the scanner. It's perhaps only the fact that I've been drawing all my life that has allowed me to produce anything recognizable with a mouse . . . well, that and the fact that I don't have a choice right now. It's only been a matter of weeks, though.

The shading's not bad, but that's not actually my particular style. The Toriyama style seems to be all I can accomplish with the damned thing, so I figured I may as well try coloring it the same way.
KinoFourpaws finally wrote:For comparison, this is the kind of stuff I can do with a mouse:

Der Sulking Veggie :B
He's grim for some reason. D: <--- (This one I doodled on Paint.)
Squeee. x33

And these are just the semi-recent ones. Most of the older stuff is major suckage. I need a tablet, too. o_<

Yeah, just so you know that you do mouse art better...
I've made some attempts at bodies and limbs with the mouse. They're so awful that they went and erased themselves. It doesn't matter, though, because I'm almost positive they had no hope in hell of ever looking half as good as these.

Paint? You mean the basic Windows paint program? Yeah, that's what I've been using. It's not bad, and I suppose I'm grateful I have anything at all right now . . . but damn is it limited when compared to a fresh pencil and my good ol' Adobe Photoshop. It's hard to believe we manage anything at all with this.
SSJKaboom wrote:We love you, Lemmy. You, your fanart, your beautifully long and insightful posts... I'd hug you, but I'm not actually anywhere near you. And we're both men.
(And I have no body. Wait, that's Nimoy.)

Oh, shut yer hole. My posts are long and boring, and they take up everyone's time. But then, so long as nobody's complaining, I've found it very difficult to shut up . . .
SSJKaboom next wrote:I am best with pencils, but I must admit... even Broli there was slightly 'tweaked' in Paintshop, I believe.
REALLY? I honestly can't tell. It all looks pencil-based.

To be able to fool the eye. That's the sign of an artist, don't you know.
Rory wrote:I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0, I'm glad you like my Banner
You high-tech bastard. I'm running on 4.0, and technically I'm lying by saying so because I still have to reinstall the damned thing!!
desirecampbell wrote:I guess I better chime in too.

A Gohan
A Goku
A Vegeta
A Gotenks

And there's more in the rest of my gallery. Not that I suggest you look - its rather depressingly lame after looking at AnnouncerGuy's gallery.
So what?

Art is about what you make it. You already know that! Don't let yourself become blind to the variety that art is all about and in the process diminish the role that you yourself have to play, because then we'll have truly lost a unique perspective.
Mr.Piccolo wrote:Why isn't this a sticky?
Probably because, in a very technical sense, this sort of topic isn't supposed to exist. VegettoEX has been exceedingly generous in allowing the occasional thread to breathe.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:54 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
SSJKaboom wrote:We love you, Lemmy. You, your fanart, your beautifully long and insightful posts... I'd hug you, but I'm not actually anywhere near you. And we're both men.
(And I have no body. Wait, that's Nimoy.)
Heh, heh, you got the reference.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:15 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Oh, so you scanned it?

Duh. I should have thought of that. Especially since I work to preserve just about every damn thing I've ever drawn.

It's an illness. Every drawing I've ever sent, recieved or just made for practice has a place in my bedroom. I'm talking things that have been around since grade school. Even when it comes to the horrible stuff from years back, I find it impossible to throw a drawing away.
Well, yeah, I scanned it... otherwise I wouldn't be able to show it to all of you guys right now. :lol:

I'm with you on that, man. I have drawings dating back to when I was in third grade stuffed in a box in my closet. Almost all of my drawings, even the really crappy, 20-seconds-on-schoolwork doodles from of old (and in my high school days when I was just as bad a fangirl as most of the fanfic writers D: ), can be found somewhere in my room. Hell, there's even a couple of attempts at fanfic writing buried in there, some of which I found recently that I didn't even know was there anymore. I'm a friggin' packrat when it comes to my art. I just hope my mom hasn't cleaned all of it out since I've come to college. DDDDDDD:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Don't feel too bad. Hands are probably the most difficult of all parts of the body to render on paper.

They can have just as many expressions as any face, and it's damn hard to get them all down. I can remember some years ago when I realized just how difficult it was to draw really good, believable hands, and for about a year I practiced their different poses (and drew nothing else) to get the proper feeling for hand expression.

It still requires my patience to get it right.
Indeed it does. I've sketched hands lots of times and I still mess up on them if I'm not careful. It often takes a good chunk of my drawing time (and dozens of stray lines and their ghosts after erasing them) just to get them to look passable, not to talk of drawing them right.

I like that connection you made with the hands being like the face. It just sounds nice for some reason. o.O
Li'l Lemmy wrote:If only! I'm so much better with the scanner. It's perhaps only the fact that I've been drawing all my life that has allowed me to produce anything recognizable with a mouse . . . well, that and the fact that I don't have a choice right now. It's only been a matter of weeks, though.

The shading's not bad, but that's not actually my particular style. The Toriyama style seems to be all I can accomplish with the damned thing, so I figured I may as well try coloring it the same way.
Hahahah, I agree with you on that. It takes more patience than I think someone unable to draw by hand would have to be able to take up the mouse for a from-scratch drawing. It certainly tests my patience sometimes... I have a bunch of unfinished work that I was doing on computer simply because I got tired of it. I tell myelf I'll get back to working on them someday... :oops:

True, the cell-shading approach, while nice, is a little too simplistic at the same time. But, yeah, I know how hard it can be to transfer your actual drawing style to a computer. Very difficult at best. D: Toriyama receives a blessing from me for keeping his style from being too elaborate. The fanartists actually have something to fall back on if all else fails. :lol:

Hell, we should both look into buying/asking for Christmas some of those tablets. :lol: But just keep working with your mouse; your computer stuff'll look much better the more you practice drawing with it. :D
Li'l Lemmy wrote:I've made some attempts at bodies and limbs with the mouse. They're so awful that they went and erased themselves. It doesn't matter, though, because I'm almost positive they had no hope in hell of ever looking half as good as these.

Paint? You mean the basic Windows paint program? Yeah, that's what I've been using. It's not bad, and I suppose I'm grateful I have anything at all right now . . . but damn is it limited when compared to a fresh pencil and my good ol' Adobe Photoshop. It's hard to believe we manage anything at all with this.
Oi vey. Pictures committing suicide. They must've been feeling rather emo at the time. :lol: I'm sure they weren't THAT bad, though. ^^; And I repeat what I said about working with the mouse: it will get better once you get used to the damn thing. :) And, uhm, thank you, I guess... even though the stuff I put up isn't that great, either... ^^;

Oh, yeah, Paint. The dreaded art program. xD I actually find it better to use than Photoshop at times, though, depending on what I'm in the mood to draw. There's just something about hard pixels that fascinates me... o.o And, yeah, it can be limited as far as its capabilites go, but at the same time it's SO much simpler to use because of the lack of all those extra things. And I've discovered a few handy tricks with that thing as well, like being able to go over the whole image with the eraser and only eradicate a certain color from it. The program's really nifty for editing and cleaning up pictures as well. I mean, come on, there's gotta be some reason Bill Gates has kept it as part of the Windows system package for so long! :lol:

Though, I totally understand how you feel at the fact that it's TOO limited. Have you tried drawing on things like PaintChat or the Artgrounds sketchers instead? Those offer lots more options for your work, though oftentimes you find you don't have much space to work with on them 'cos of all the other people drawing on them (and Artgrounds keeps a regular schedule for cleaning its canvases, which is bad if you're working on a big drawing project on it D: ). If you ever want to use something other than Paint for drawing (at least until you get your Photoshop back up), you could try giving these a whirl. Just remember to use the Printscreen button to save your stuff. :lol:
Mr.Piccolo wrote:Why isn't this a sticky? :?
Oh, God, I wish it was. I've found so much more intelligent feedback for the art here than I'm usually able to find on dA or SA! D: Not to mention, if it were made a sticky, VegettoEX won't have to worry about random art threads like this popping up ever again. :lol: But I guess that's ultimately up to him to decide. In the meantime, I'm very glad he lets us hold these kinds of threads every once in a while. Let's not abuse the privilege too much. D:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kristiann
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kristiann » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:24 am

Well, I hope I'm not abusing anything, but here's my latest show of love for Dragon Ball:

Son Goten Mini-Plush
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41172840/

Thanks for the input on my stuff still being fanwork, hehe XD I'm inspired to make more DB stuff that's squishable~!
Want [b][url=http://db.kittenthecat.com/features/high-spirited-saga]Songs of a High-Spirited Saga[/url][/b]?
[b]DBZ Movie Trailers![/b]: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jjm1JU43z0]Namek on Fire[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPiWvvKxsk]Resident Evil[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMaYs5OGfY]Pirates of the Galaxy[/url]
[url=http://kittenthecat.com]KittenTheCat.Com[/url] | [url=http://db.kittenthecat.com]Orange Star - A Personal Tribute to Dragon Ball[/url]

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 am

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Geez, you guys ALL have really good work. I wish I could even touch your guy's skill.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Son Gohan

Post by Son Gohan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:26 pm

:D I've been drawing DBZ for a while, but i recently started a DeviantArt account, so i only have one deviant :
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39796019/

I'll draw a character or two and post them too!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Shweet. I've been trying to learn to color on my PaintShop Pro 7. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I'll put up some doodles later, just to feed the thread. :D
deviantART
[thread]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:20 pm

I must say you are all extremly talented! But Mr. Announcer takes the cake... I bow to you! Your stuff is professional grade, I can't wait to see more!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Holy shit I did NOT see Mr. Announcer's work!
Those pictures are amazing!!
Without reading the description for the Super Dragonball Z one, I could instantly tell that what it was based on (I randomly clicked the link without reading. XD).
But the Gohan and Piccolo one just owns, it sums up everything I think about there relationship, best friends. :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:46 am

Rory wrote:Holy shortcake I did NOT see Mr. Announcer's work!
Those pictures are amazing!!
I know, ain't they? Toriyama-sensei would be proud.

Anyhoo, I finally got started on my long-promised GT Rewrite fanfic. I figured I might as well put up an "excerpt" from the first chapter. So here it is, a short exchange between Goku and Chi-Chi while "backstage" at the Tenka'ich Budokai (which I've placed at the beginning of the story).

Little did anyone know, that in one of the arena’s luxury rooms reserved for its contestants, a disastrous discovery of epic proportion was being made.

“Chi-Chiiii...” A pathetic voice called from within the bathroom.

The woman in the main room sighed at the pitiful sounding of her name, and replied exhasperated.

“Be right there, honey...”

She crouched down to the infant who had been crawling around at her feet. “C’mon, Gosan,” She said, as she hefted her grandson into her arms. “Let’s go an’ save your Grandpa...”

“Bwah ” Gosan replied happily, as grandma picked him up.

Chi-Chi walked into the bathroom, to see Son Goku, her husband of almost fifty years. He was only half-dressed, having been in the bathroom freshening up before his match. But now, he was simply looking into the mirror and pouting. He turned to face her dejectedly.

“Chi-Chi...” He whined. “They’re startin’ to sag...”

“Welcome to my world,” she absent-mindedly replied, paying more attention to Gosan. A second later, though, she realized what he had just said.

“Wait... what?”

Goku tilted his head down, and pointed to his hair.

She looked, and was that he was right. His spikes of hair, almost as much his trademark as his massively inhuman strength, were indeed beginning to lose the firm, jagged edge that they had always had.

“See?” Goku said sadly. “It’s happening t’ Vegeta, too. Our hair’s saggin’, and we’re growin’ hair places we didn’t before. Vegeta had a little beard for a while, but Bra made ‘I'm get rid of it...”

“Well,” Chi-Chi said, moving closer to Goku. “I guess even Saiyans have to get old eventually...”

“Well, gettin’ old sucks.” Goku said, folding his arms and pouting further. “Vegeta’s gettin’ wrinkles, too. Wrinkles!”

Chi-Chi glowered playfully, and raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, not that there’s anything wrong with a few wrinkles, Chi...” Goku said, correcting his mistake. “I mean, they look good on you...”

“Quit while you’re ahead,” she said, angling her face up to give Goku a quick peck on the cheek. “Don’t worry, I still love you.”

Goku smiled and returned the kiss. “I love you too... but still, aging like this, Vegeta and I are startin’ to lose our power a bit, too...”

“Really?”

“Yeah. It’s not much of a problem, yet, but we can each feel our power slowly startin’ to deteriorate...” He made a fist, and lightly pounded it into his hand. “That’s why we both signed up for the Budokai this year. For one last match while we’re still pretty much even...”

“Come t’ think of it, hon,” Chi-Chi said. “Your match is soon, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Goku replied, scratching his head. “I forget, when does it start...?”

IT STARTED FIVE MINUTES AGO!”

Surprised by the sudden outburst, Goku and Chi-Chi both dashed back out into the main room to find it’s source. There in the doorway stood Pan, their fourteen-year-old granddaughter. She was panting slightly, having apparently rushed here at top speed.

“Pan? ” Goku and Chi-Chi remarked simultaneously.

“Paaa ” Little Gosan exclaimed at his big sister’s appearance.

“Grandpa ” Pan yelled, annoyed. “What are you doing? Vegeta and everyone else are waiting for you! You’re gonna get disqualified if you don’t hurry ”

“What? ” Goku said, worried. He hopped back into the bathroom, and reemerged a second later struggling to quickly put on his dark blue gi top. Once that was accomplished, he sat on the bed and began hurriedly donning his boots.

“C’mon, Grandpa, hurry up!” Pan egged him on. “You gotta get out there and get Vegeta back for me!” Indeed, Vegeta had been matched up with Pan earlier in the tournament, and had opted to prolong the match by teasing and evading her for a good ten minutes, before quickly winning with a ring-out. Pan had been left kind of bitter.

“Okay ” Goku said, standing up fully dressed and prepared. “I better get over there. Pan, get your grandma to her seat quick, so she can see the fight, okay?”

“Okay, Grandpa, just go!” Pan barked.

Goku raised his hand to his faced, and touched his index and middle fingers to his forehead. Then, in the blink of an eye, he vanished, homing in on Vegeta’s ki to teleport to the arena.

______

A "sneak peak," so to speak. Just for you guys. Once I get about 3 or 4 chapters done, I'll probably put 'em up on FF.net and provide a link...

Anyhoo, I'm trying to work on some FanArt, I might get it up tomorrow.
deviantART
[thread]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

“See?” Goku said sadly. “It’s happening t’ Vegeta, too. [W]e’re growin’ hair places we didn’t before...”

Bwahhahaha!

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Holy shit.

I'm impressed, SSj Kaboom. :shock: That was really entertaining. Usually when I'm reading some fanfiction, I loose interest. (Xyex's fanfiction) But not with you.

I would love to be the first to read the whole story! :P
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Heh, thanks. I'll be sure to let you guys know when the 1st or so chapters are up. I'm just about done chapter one, so it shouldn't take too long...

Actually, I got two questions. 1) What might be a good title for the fic ("GT Revised" has been my working title up till now), and 2) Around what number Budokai would be good for 10 years after Z's epilogue? Is there a set schedule for these things (annual, bi-annual, etc...), or would I be safe just picking any number in the low 30's?
deviantART
[thread]