What if Dragon Ball Super was Only 49 Episodes?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

What if Dragon Ball Super was Only 49 Episodes?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:35 pm

I've been messing around with this little project for how I would handle Dragon Ball Super if I had about 50% control over the storyline and execution. I've tried to stay within the general framing of the story arcs while also making as many little changes as I want. I didn't make all of the changes I wanted, though, I just focused on cutting the story down to a small length. I'm still not happy with how long my version of the Tournament of Power is but it will have to do since I put so much effort into the character writing. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you lent me a critical eye so I could improve the story some more. Thank you.

What if Dragon Ball Super was 49 Episodes?
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Re: What if Dragon Ball Super was Only 49 Episodes?

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm

I'd cut out the move retellings and the slice of life episodes which will bring things down to 90 episodes.

Champa's arc can be cut from 14 down to 10 episodes.

Black's arc can be cut from 21 down to 15 episodes.

That leaves 24 episodes for the tournament of power arc which should be enough if you cut out the recrutement and the majority of non-main fighter episodes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm still working through it. But, I like how you actually gave Sorbet and Tagoma a character arc that actually went somewhere instead of turning them into just another pair of lackies that die.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:04 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:I'm still working through it. But, I like how you actually gave Sorbet and Tagoma a character arc that actually went somewhere instead of turning them into just another pair of lackies that die.
I've always found the end of Fukkatsu no F hilarious, so I wanted to combine that with my general intention to do events differently from the comic and cartoons. I wrote that ending like a year ago, though, and never ecpected Freeza to return...

Please let me know if you have more to say...
She/Her
bisexual milf

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:14 am

Could have worked. The first two seasons are just rehashes of Battle of God and Resurrection F, so the rest could have been done with lesser episodes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Could have worked. The first two seasons are just rehashes of Battle of God and Resurrection F, so the rest could have been done with lesser episodes.
My version changes and adds a few things, though.

I've done a preliminary version of how I would handle Broli Episodes #50-53. I plan on working out a few more points before posting it, though.
She/Her
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 am

JulieYBM wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Could have worked. The first two seasons are just rehashes of Battle of God and Resurrection F, so the rest could have been done with lesser episodes.

I've done a preliminary version of how I would handle Broli Episodes #50-53. I plan on working out a few more points before posting it, though.
Wouldn’t 4 episodes of Broly be too few?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:08 am

emperior wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:

Wouldn’t 4 episodes of Broly be too few?
It's based purely upon what we know about the script that Toriyama wrote so far. If an extended version ever happens then I would of course do some revisions. This is what I have written so far. I'm not pleased with it yet. I really want to remove Gogeta but I'll have to wait until I have a better idea of where Gokuu and Vegeta are going with their growth:
She/Her
bisexual milf