Dragon Ball Z tabletop RPG system I'm developing 2

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSGSSJ4MajinBrojeta

Dragon Ball Z tabletop RPG system I'm developing 2

Post by SSGSSJ4MajinBrojeta » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 am

I've been play-testing / developing a well functioning tabletop system for the Dragon Ball Universe. I started with Z because it's the most popular, although this system would easily work for Dragon Ball, and GT. Super broke a lot of it's own rules, so super basically doesn't apply to this system... if I want it to function. (Example. I told a Namekian player that he could only fuse once, and that Piccolo/Nail/Kami was a special circumstance. Then Super has a whole universe of Namekians fuse down to two fighers. I can't GM that, come on Super!)

If you're interested in the start of this system, here's the original thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39330

This thread will cover the second "Beta" run of my DBZ RPG system, which I started in March 2018. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Although having multiple characters was an option at the beginning of this run, only one player took the option. Recruitment was high and death was low enough in the first run, people didn't feel the need for a spare character.
When playing multiple characters, you can only have one active on the field during at a time, the other is inactive.

I started at age 760, just before the arrival of Radditz.

The original group:

Son Goku (As the start of Z approzimately) Power Level 700-1100
Bintu (Namekian Psychic) Power Level 240-650
Dr. Richard Peterman (Robotics Scientist) Power Level 2-7
Dr. Harry Peterman (Biologist / Chemist) Power Level 3-10
1984-A (Combat Android Assassin) Power Level 0 (Androids Don't Have Power Levels)
Vayne (Saiyan Defector from Freeza) Power Level 480-5500 (Oozaru)

The first arc was homebrew content "RACE! The Red-Ribbon Army!"

In this, the group was called to Kami's Lookout to thwart Dr. Gero from using his Red Ribbon Army to gather all 7 Dragon Balls. Why would Gero want the Dragon Balls? Because I twisted things a bit. Kami isn't Kami. King Piccolo never came to earth. Kami is Lord Slug. Lord Slug is a dick and doesn't allow for space travel. Gero wants to use the Dragon Balls to do off world expeditions. Lord Slug's motivation is that he suspects all Earthlings will kill themselves with their constant warring and then he'll have the planet to repopulate himself. As Guardian of Earth he "protects" earth by keeping aliens out and earthlings in. Though obviously that's gone awry.

Edit: Here is the audio, it's in a playlist, with the rest of the audio. https://youtu.be/jaLArnLa3ak?list=PLKRB ... SraOEPyuFd

So the group, after some grueling battles against Gero's robots (they were fodder but the group rolled shitty, so they didn't do well), managed to capture a single dragon ball, which is all that's really required to stop Gero's plan. After this, they got a year off to train.

Age 761

Son Goku Power Level Increased to 780-1200
Vayne Power Level Increased to 500-6000 (Oozaru)

Though the others did train, it didn't change their power level for this arc. "A Saiyan Terror!"

In this arc, two Saiyans arrive at earth to find out why Kakarot hasn't conquered it and reported back yet.

Radditz Power Level 900-1200
Nappa Power Level 4500-6100

Neither Saiyan went Oozaru, so I didn't apply the 10x Boost to their top end power level. The group is not like the Z fighters (that's the idea) and among their combat goals is keeping the enemy from going full power. They lost the first fight against Radditz and Son Goku was killed by Nappa. Son Goku was then sent to train at King Kai's while the group regathered their strength at the lookout to face Nappa and Radditz a second time.